Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Yuna Kim - 2013 version

Miserere Nobis
    I don't expect Yuna to regain her 2010 form in time for Sochi (or ever), but she needs to find another coach like Orser, who knew what to do with her talent and helped her a tremendous amount on the road to OG. Her 2013 programs are bland and take little advantage of her magnificent artistry, IMO.

Custom Title
    I think Yuna should stick to the 3Lz-3T and 2A-3T layout. Those jumps give her huge GOE.
    Her flip is less reliable than her 2A-3T.

If Yuna goes clean then there are only two other girls who can beat her. Both of these girls need to be absolutely clean (very unlikely) with more ambitious layout. Caro is less reliable when it comes to ambitious content. Mao is prone to URs.

Anyway, I can see her defending her title next year. And in the off chance that Caro/Mao have the skate of their lives to beat Yuna's skate of her life, well, then a comet will hit the earth the next day.

Custom Title
    Yuna's PCS and +GOE makes up for her layout without a loop. She doesn't need it but theoretically the best layout for her is

3Lz-3T
    3Lz
    3F
    3F-1/2L-3S
    3S
    2A-3T
    2A

The only question mark is the 3F-1/2L-3S which would be a new combo for her. But she gets incredible speed out of her flips and lutzes so the 3S should be no problem. But the combo would make her more susceptible to injury probably.

With a really strict tech panel, the only skater that can beat Yuna now is Kostner. If Mao brings her 3-3 and 3A, she can outjump Yuna

More or less: more is more sequinsgalore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    Yuna's PCS and +GOE makes up for her layout without a loop. She doesn't need it but theoretically the best layout for her is

3Lz-3T
    3Lz
    3F
    3F-1/2L-3S
    3S
    2A-3T
    2A

The only question mark is the 3F-1/2L-3S which would be a new combo for her. But she gets incredible speed out of her flips and lutzes so the 3S should be no problem. But the combo would make her more susceptible to injury probably.

With a really strict tech panel, the only skater that can beat Yuna now is Kostner. If Mao brings her 3-3 and 3A, she can outjump Yuna
    That layout is not valid, as you have her repeat 3Lz, 3T, 3F and 3S. You can only repeat two different triples/quads.

Custom Title
    Just throwing another one in here:

3Lz-3T
    3Lz-.5lo-3S
    2Lz-2Lo-2T (thanks BoP )
    2a (directly from sp sq for added difficulty)
    3F
    3S
    2a (from Ina bauer)

That lutz-salchow combo would be something new, and pretty difficult I assume- how does this layout compare to the others?

Quote Originally Posted by guanchi View Post
    Just throwing another one in here:

3Lz-3T
    3Lz-.5lo-3S
    2Lz-2Lo-2T (thanks BoP )
    2a (directly from sp sq for added difficulty)
    3F
    3S
    2a (from Ina bauer)

That lutz-salchow combo would be something new, and pretty difficult I assume- how does this layout compare to the others?
    This is also illegal. You have two 3-jump combos. The layout that maximizes BV without a 3A is this:

3Lz+3T
    2A+L+3S
    3Lz
    3F+2L
    3F
    3L
    2A

Basically, put the two easy triples (salchow & toe-loop) in the back-end of combos, repeat the two big jumps (Lutz & Flip) and still have the max of two 2Axels.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    This is also illegal. You have two 3-jump combos. The layout that maximizes BV without a 3A is this:

3Lz+3T
    2A+L+3S
    3Lz
    3F+2L
    3F
    3L
    2A

Basically, put the two easy triples (salchow & toe-loop) in the back-end of combos, repeat the two big jumps (Lutz & Flip) and still have the max of two 2Axels.
    Whoops, should've deleted that 2t at the back end of the 2a combo.
    Ah, that would be really sweet if, barring pain and injury, she tried to get her loop back.
    Also interesting that a maximized bv program without a 3a does NOT include a 3-3-3 combo (assuming no quads, hehe)

3Lz+3T
    3F
    2A+3T
    3Lz
    3Lo
    3S+2T+2Lo
    2A

MY WISH

The layout that maximizes BV without a 3A is this:

3Lz+3T
    2A+L+3S
    3Lz
    3F+2L
    3F
    3L
    2A
    But the game is to maximize her chances without a 3Lo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    But the game is to maximize her chances without a 3Lo.
    Well in that case...

3Lz+3T
    2A+.5L+3S
    3Lz
    3F
    3F+2L
    2A
    2lz

That does it, I think. The 3-jump combo is a big if, though. She's never done 3S in the back-end of a combo before.

Custom Title
    Just a crazy thought, hmm, but what if Yuna tried a clockwise 3lo.
    Perhaps that RBO edge jump never made her comfortable, or hurts her, or is just a mental block.
    But what if she tried a CW loop using her LBO- her left leg looks very powerful, given her great lutz.
    And I've seen clips in her younger days doing standing CW double jumps with little problem.
    Just craziness...imagine if she pulled it off, I'd put her the podium just for that.

Well in that case...

3Lz+3T
    2A+.5L+3S
    3Lz
    3F
    3F+2L
    2A
    2lz

That does it, I think. The 3-jump combo is a big if, though. She's never done 3S in the back-end of a combo before.
    I think the other one is much better.

3Lz+3T
    2A+3T
    3F
    3Lz
    3S
    2Lz+2Lo+2T (5.72 BV)
    2A

The difference in base value is only 0.5 points (not counting second half bonuses). She absolutely should do her amazing 2A+3T combo that always gets huge GOEs, and she should not try (just on general principles ) one of those wonky awkward-looking half-loop combos.

The other problem is that she doesn't want to do a solo 2Lz as the last jump.-- that will just scream I CAN'T DO A TRIPLE LOOP. But a nicely choreographed three-small-jump combination -- that could be kind of a breath of fresh air. In fact, it could be a lot nicer than then usual 3Something+2Lo+2T combos that most skaters do, where they come to a complete standstill by the second jump. (JMO)

Edited to add As for backloading her program by moving the 2A+3T to the second half, I think that's a strategic mistake, too. She should do what she did at the Olympcis. Come out and nail the two combos, sending the vibe out to the judges -- "Did you see that? Are you paying attention? You might as well start marking down those 9.5s now."

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Edited to add As for backloading her program by moving the 2A+3T to the second half, I think that's a strategic mistake, too. She should do what she did at the Olympcis. Come out and nail the two combos, sending the vibe out to the judges -- "Did you see that? Are you paying attention? You might as well start marking down those 9.5s now."
    For the 2009-10 season, I think Yuna did intend to put her 2A+3T in the second half, because the combo was given the 1.1x bonus at TEB and GPF. It might've been a timing issue that caused her not to get the bonus at the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Colanboy View Post
    For the 2009-10 season, I think Yuna did intend to put her 2A+3T in the second half, because the combo was given the 1.1x bonus at TEB and GPF. It might've been a timing issue that caused her not to get the bonus at the Olympics.
    That's correct. She pushed several of her elements forward (including the combo) when tweaking the long program for the Olympics. This caused her to miss the 10% for the 2A+3T by a mere second or so, but it was totally unnecessary in the end.

Here's an AP article about her comeback, just published today: "The Queen" is Back: Kim Returns to Worlds

I get a vastly different feeling from her vs. 2011 Worlds. I think she wants to be here and she wants to win.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast