Yuna Kim - 2013 version | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim - 2013 version

Cherryy

On the Ice
I think this is a consequence -- and flaw -- of the IJS. The scoring system pushes the judges to pile on the points for the person that they thought skated the best.

Take Patrick Chan, for instance. Under 6.0, if you were a judge you might decide that overall, despite the errors, Patrick skated the best and deserved to win. So you give him your first-place ordinal. All straightforward and aboveboard. If other judges disagree, so be it. You have done all you can.

But with the CoP, if you think Patrick skated the best and deserves to win, then you have to make sure it comes out that way by your marks. Who knows how the points will eventually tally up, with all the pluses and minus. So if you are firm in your conviction, your only option is to toss a bunch of +2's and 9.5s into the mix.

In the case of a dominant performance like Kim's, this results in a 20-point win instead of 10.

So we agree the lead shouldn't be so big? ;)

And btw. it's probably the best justification I've read. You may be right - judges feel they have to do everything to make skater X win, so they give higher marks here and there...

cosmos

On the Ice
As I recall, the decision of the ISU technical committee in 2010 to adjust the GOEs carried a double motivation. What they really wanted to do was to increase the spread of reward for quality of elements. Judges tended to give out mostly 0s and a few 1s and -1s. It was practically impossible to get a 3 no matter what you did. So they sent out instructions to the judges (via seminars, etc.), that they should give a wider spread in order to emphasize the differences among pretty good, superior, and wow! They redesigned the bullets at the same time, in order the better to guide the judges' decisions.

But then, if the judges were expected to give out more +2s and +3s than before, the technical committee figured that they had to be scaled back by 70% so that the GOEs wouldn't overwhelm other aspects of the scoring. So now we have a spread (for a triple jump) of -2.1 to +2.1, instead of from -3 to +3, but at the same time the judges are encouraged to make freer use of the whole range.

I think this is valid. The aim of IJS is to be objective as far as possible by quantifying technical level. Then, the technical level should be differentiated sufficiently. If the GOE range is reduced, the outcome will be decided more frequently by PCS, which is more subjective. That is not good.

So we agree the lead shouldn't be so big? ;)

You know, to tell the truth I don't really care much about the points one way or another. Nine times out of ten we don't need any scoring system at all. It is obvious who won and who came in second and third. :yes:

cheerio2

On the Ice
What I find really fascinating about Yuna 2013 is how noticeably her jumps have improved since NRW last year. At that comp, she had less stamina, the air position was kind of loose, the jump rotation wasn't that fast, and her 3T looked underrotated. At Worlds, her jumps were perfection. I don't know how she does it.

MiRé

Match Penalty
What I find really fascinating about Yuna 2013 is how noticeably her jumps have improved since NRW last year. At that comp, she had less stamina, the air position was kind of loose, the jump rotation wasn't that fast, and her 3T looked underrotated. At Worlds, her jumps were perfection. I don't know how she does it.

I don't think she improved since NRW, I think she already had jumps down.
My guess is, she attended that competition to meet the minimum TES score for Worlds.
So she didnt really focus although she could have.
But I agree, I dont know how she does her jumps even after 2 years break

Krislite

Medalist
I don't think she improved since NRW, I think she already had jumps down.
My guess is, she attended that competition to meet the minimum TES score for Worlds.
So she didnt really focus although she could have.
But I agree, I dont know how she does her jumps even after 2 years break

There's very evident improvement since NRW and I don't think we can attribute it to just her being more relaxed and less focused in Germany three months ago. Remember, at the time of the NRW Trophy, she had really only been training for two or three months. Her team did a really good job of enabling her to peak at Worlds.

MiRé

Match Penalty
There's very evident improvement since NRW and I don't think we can attribute it to just her being more relaxed and less focused in Germany three months ago. Remember, at the time of the NRW Trophy, she had really only been training for two or three months. Her team did a really good job of enabling her to peak at Worlds.

If thats the case..... Yuna is just pure amazing......... Her performance at worlds was just outstanding, and if thats a improvement from just few months of training after NRW...... Words cannot explain her abilities