You Might Be Canadian If..... | Golden Skate

You Might Be Canadian If.....

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I got this from an email from a friend:

25 Signs Showing You Might be Canadian
>
> 1. You're not offended by the term "HOMO MILK".
>
> 2. You understand the phrase "Could you pass me a serviette, I just dropped my poutine, on the chesterfield."
>
> 3. You eat chocolate bars, not candy bars.
>
> 4. You drink Pop, not Soda.
>
> 5. You know what a Mickey and 2-4 mean
>
> 6. You don't care about the fuss with Cuba. It's a cheap place to go for your holidays, with good cigars and no Americans.
>
> 7. You know that a pike is a type of fish, not part of a highway.
>
> 8. You drive on a highway, not a freeway.
>
> 9. You have Canadian Tire money in your kitchen drawers.
>
> 10. You know that Casey and Finnegan were not part of a Celtic musical group.
>
> 11. You get excited whenever an American television show mentions Canada.
>
>
> 12. You brag to Americans that: Shania Twain, Jim Carrey, Celine Dion & many more, are Canadians.
>
> 13. You know that the C.E.O. of American Airlines is a Canadian!
>
> 14. You know what a touque is.
>
> 15. You design your Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.
>
> 16. You know that the last letter of the English alphabet is always pronounced "Zed" not "Zee"
>
> 17. Your local newspaper covers the national news on 2 pages,but requires 6 pages for hockey.
>
> 18. You know that the four seasons mean: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road work.
>
> 19. You know that when it's 25 degrees outside, it's a warm day.
>
> 20. You understand the Labatt Blue commercials.
>
> 21. You know how to pronounce and spell "Saskatchewan". (Sas-Kat-chew-wan)
>
> 22. You perk up when you hear the theme song from 'Hockey Night in Canada'.
>
> 23. You were in grade 12, not the 12th grade.
>
> 24. "Eh?" is a very important part of your vocabulary, and is more polite than,"Huh?"
>
> 25. You actually understand these jokes, and forward them to all of your Canadian friends!!!! and then you send them to your American friends just to confuse them...further (hehe)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
actually, Jim Carry WAS Canadian... he's applied for US citizenship (personally I wish he'd STAY in Canada[or maybe move to Iraq]) he does nothing worth calling entertainment... but that's JMHO

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Tonichelle:

And so was Neil Young and Michael J. Fox and many other Canadian actors and entertainers who now live in the US. I consider them disloyal to Canada - where they got their start.

missflick

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
Tonichelle:

And so was Neil Young and Michael J. Fox and many other Canadian actors and entertainers who now live in the US. I consider them disloyal to Canada - where they got their start.

Disloyal? Most actors cannot make a living in Canada. Moving becomes a necessity

JOHIO2

Medalist
The US doesn't like the idea of dual citizenship. Ya wanna be a US citizen, ya gotta renounce any other citizenship. So, what about Canada? Can a Canadian born citizen become a US citizen without Canada saying they're no longer Canadian???

Not such a silly question: how about Tanith Belbin (or even Fedor Andreev)? If Tanith becomes a US citizen to compete for the US in the Olympics, does that mean she is no longer Canadian? And what about her boyfriend Fedor? If he actually decided to compete in pairs with Jenny Kirk, would he need to become a US citizen? As I recall, he wasn't born in Canada. Does that make this whole thing more interesting, or what??? And if Fedor and Jenny DID decide to compete in pairs, which country would they compete for? Both compete in singles. For different countries.

As we have seen with Julia Soldotova, changing the country you compete for is complicated. Kinda like changing the college you play for under NCAA rules. Doesn't she have to sit out a certain period of time before she is eligible to compete for Russia again? Obviously, the rules for competing IN Russia are different from international rules. How would the US and/or Canada handle a Fedor/Jenny team?

Come to think of it, is the "citizen" rule a US Olympic Committee rule or an IOC rule? I never really thought of that before, but it is an interesting question. Consider Anton Sik. and Elena Ber. Didn't she represent Lithuania or Latvia with her former partner? Maybe the political situation for athletes in the former Soviet Union has much different rules.

What a can of worms this line of thought opens!!!

Ladskater

Record Breaker
missflick:

Anne Murray made it big in the singing world and she is still a Canuck and so is Brian Adams. Many of our entertainers stay here and do well - they are popular in other countries. The US is not the only entertainment drawing card in the world.

Last edited: