Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Worlds-Mens SP

Tripping on the Podium
    So I guess Russia won't get two spots for the next year..Does this mean Evgeni will have to go to a qualifying competition in the autumn, or the fact that Kovtun qualified for the long is enough? Btw, why do people dislike Kovtun so much...without the quad, Menshov score would have been the same....

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irina89 View Post
    So I guess Russia won't get two spots for the next year..Does this mean Evgeni will have to go to a qualifying competition in the autumn, or the fact that Kovtun qualified for the long is enough? Btw, why do people dislike Kovtun so much...without the quad, Menshov score would have been the same....
    No, nobody will have to go to Nebelhorn as Russia has one host spot.

And I dislike Kovtun's skating because his movements are wooden and his programs are totally empty.

Custom Title
    They have the host spot So a Russian man was always irrelevant here really for a spot. Kovtun was sent for two spots and with his epic meltdown in the sp it's impossible for 2 spots but Russia has one as host. If Russia was not hosting then nebelhorn would be needed or whatever the qualifying event was.

Russia already has a spot secured for Sochi.
    I just feel so bad for Kovtun, but I mean... let's be real. We all knew this would happen. It was a risk Russian Fed wanted to take and with bigger risks come bigger disappointments

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    No, nobody will have to go to Nebelhorn as long as Kovtun earns at least one spot. This much he should be able to achieve.

And I dislike Kovtun's skating because his movements are wooden and his programs are totally empty.
    Well, right now, it looks like Kovtun wouldn't make it assuming the next twelve skaters place higher than he. But doesn't Russia have a spot as the host anyway?

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    If Russia was not hosting then nebelhorn would be needed or whatever the qualifying event was.
    It wouldn't be needed because Kovtun would surely be able to earn one spot at least, unless he totally imploded in the FS.

Quote Originally Posted by starryxskies View Post
    Russia already has a spot secured for Sochi.
    I just feel so bad for Kovtun, but I mean... let's be real. We all knew this would happen. It was a risk Russian Fed wanted to take and with bigger risks come bigger disappointments
    Yep, everybody knew this is what this was going to end like. Not like Menshov would have earned two spots either but at least he has earned his place here.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Well, right now, it looks like Kovtun wouldn't make it assuming the next twelve skaters place higher than he. But doesn't Russia have a spot as the host anyway?
    Russia does have a host spot, yes. Totally forgot about that, edited that in now.

Tripping on the Podium
    He is 7 now...so 19? Only the first 18 qualify directly?

Custom Title
    Kovtuns whole role here was for two spots and if this was for a non Russia Olympics kovtun wouldn't even qualify one but that's not true here.

I'm pretty sure top 24 qualify for the long

Tripping on the Podium
    I don't know if this is the right place to ask this...but do you have any idea why is Gachinski doing so poorly? How is it possible for a skater to lose almost all his jumps in a few months?

Custom Title
    He is 7 now...so 19? Only the first 18 qualify directly?
    Russia is host so it qualifies. For 2014 worlds maybe no Russian man until a qualifying competition.

Well, this is all assuming Kovtun's placement remains exactly the same after the FS - don't you think he might be able to pass a few guys on the FS? (I'm not talking 2 spots - I'm talking this "he won't even earn one spot" business... )

Custom Title
    No, Russia has one spot guaranteed. What it means is that, unless the ISU changes anything, he will be expected to do both Team event and singles.

People dislike Kovtun because of his skating, because of the way he got his spot (he certainly didn't earn it), and because he's a jerk on Twitter.

Custom Title
    Overall Impressions:

Liebers: Finally a clean SP. It was about time he broke through the 70s internationally.
    Kovtun: Bleh, after he botched the combo I lost all attention. Now RUS has only one spot and Plushenko will have to skate 4 programs at Sochi, ohh the drama.
    Aaron: A bit overmarked but powerful and crowd pleasing performance. I like him.
    Ge: As ultra adorable as he is, im afraid he's becoming too one-dimensional in all his performances.
    Song: Damn Nan!! When your spot for the olympics is at stake you don't skate soo cautiosly and dull. Han Yan will eat you alive next year.

Custom Title
    All hail the penultimate group.

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast