2013 Worlds-Mens SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds-Mens SP

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
That makes me really angry. Stupid politics creating barriers and taking away opportunities from skaters.

Ignatenko has had the season of his life, having just placed 13th at Euros and 14th at Junior Worlds. He's been very consistent, landing 3axels in pretty much program IIRC. He could have earned an Olympic spot here. :(

On a totally different note, I know I am repeating myself but seeing Song Nan's name on the entry list makes me even more angry. Say goodbye to two Olympic spots China.

Disagree. These skaters have known a long time about the location of Worlds, the visa requirements, and the likelihood that they would be going. In the realm of visa-getting, Canada's not all that difficult or obtuse. If the rest of the BLR team is in this situation also, sounds more like somebody on the Team/Federation end screwed up with timeliness of paperwork, not "politics" being played.

On the subject of Chinese Federation, I am baffled about what goes on in their heads these days. To me, this situation is the one that smells of (internal) politics going on.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I guess that somewhat depends on how Chan skates, but then hopefully not.

Yeah, skating after someone who skates lights out can be a challenge. And even if a prior skater skates poorly, in the end as an athlete you can't base what you do on what someone else does. Rising to the challenge is necessary at all times.

Disagree. These skaters have known a long time about the location of Worlds, the visa requirements, and the likelihood that they would be going. In the realm of visa-getting, Canada's not all that difficult or obtuse. If the rest of the BLR team is in this situation also, sounds more like somebody on the Team/Federation end screwed up with timeliness of paperwork, not "politics" being played.

It is extremely difficult to obtain a visa for some countries. Haven't you seen Misha Ge's twitted picture of all of the paperwork and documents that he was required to prepare and hand in? He really struggled with that but managed to avoid having to fly back to Uzbekistan (which would cost him a fortune) in the end.

But you are right, we don't know what really happened. Maybe it's a mistake on the federation's part.

As you see it Ziggy, certainly don't mean it's written in stone either. In actual fact, Ross has been pretty consistent throughout his career whether or not you see it that way. ;)

At Four Continents he doubled the salchow in the SP, singled it in the FS and singled the axel as well. Whilst the rest of his jumps were indeed clean, mistakes on the big elements like this, are extremely costly.

But you are probably right. Just looked through his recent results and protocols and I guess in his case the problem is more with this skating not being "big" enough (and his PCS not being very high as a result) than it is with his consistency.

noskates

Record Breaker
Call me crazy, but shouldn't it be the federation's responsibility to make sure their athletes have the proper documentation, etc to travel to another country for a big competition?

Call me crazy, but shouldn't it be the federation's responsibility to make sure their athletes have the proper documentation, etc to travel to another country for a big competition?

Now you are assuming that all skating federations are organised and don't just exist on paper. ;)

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Pavel Ignatenko has withdrawn. According to his twiter he couldn't get his visa. :( :(

The BLR team is in the same situation, they have until tomorrow to arrive on London.

Cannot believe visa became an issue for even an athlete. I believe getting a visa to temporarily visit Canada is more difficult within the past few years: now you have to apply 2-3 months in advance (it used to be 2-3 weeks in 2007), written on the website. So if it is the same policy for attending competition, unless you apply 2-3 month before the competition, you are not guaranteed to get your visa on time.

noskates

Record Breaker
Now you are assuming that all skating federations are organised and don't just exist on paper. ;)

True - that's me being naive!!!! BUT....they certainly seem to wield enough power when picking their teams, etc.

Some years ago U.S. skater Ann Patrice McDonough medalled in her first grand prix assignment and had a shot at making the finals with a good performance at Cup of Russia. When she and her mom (inexperienced travelers) arrived in Paris for the connecting flight, they were told that their papers were not in order to proceed on to Russia. She missed the event.

After that the USFSA did make some effort at helping skaters and their parents with visas.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I am a bit worried for Yuzuru will his recent flu and back pain
I just hope he does well :no:

though Gold is out of the question for him now with Chan as a lock for Gold
with Fernandez as a compromise, but I hope Hanyu still gets to podium

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Starts now... exciting exciting... worth to stay up for. My head is spinning when I think of all the great skaters here. It will probably be tight.

Happy to see Justus managed the minimum scores. It would be awesome if Denmark qualified for the olympics :yes:

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Abzal RAKIMGALIEV (KAZ)

Music: The Sting (soundtrack)

3F+3T - bit scratchy
3A - hand down
FCSp
2Lo
CCoSp
StSq
CSSp

Good effort, but he's stil very rough around the edges... needs alot of refinement in his movements.

SP: 30.96 + 28.18 = 59.14
In 1st (out of 1)

It'll be hard for KAZ to earn 2 spots to Olys this time...

jazzee4

Rinkside
Who is commentating on the ltv7 link & why won't she be quiet for a while? I guess it wouldn't be so bad if I could understand what she was saying. Oh well at least I can watch...

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Jorik HENDRICKX (BEL)

Music: Cry Me a River by Michael Buble; At Last by Kenny G; Spiderman by Michael Buble

3A - stepout
2Lz+3T - very tilted on the lutz
FCSp
3Lo
CSSp
StSq
CCoSp

Nice flow across the ice, shame about the lutz

SP: 32.90 + 29.14 = 62.04
In 1st (out of 2)