2013 Worlds-Mens SP | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds-Mens SP

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, this is all assuming Kovtun's placement remains exactly the same after the FS - don't you think he might be able to pass a few guys on the FS? (I'm not talking 2 spots - I'm talking this "he won't even earn one spot" business... )

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So I guess Russia won't get two spots for the next year..Does this mean Evgeni will have to go to a qualifying competition in the autumn, or the fact that Kovtun qualified for the long is enough? Btw, why do people dislike Kovtun so much...without the quad, Menshov score would have been the same....

No, Russia has one spot guaranteed. What it means is that, unless the ISU changes anything, he will be expected to do both Team event and singles.

People dislike Kovtun because of his skating, because of the way he got his spot (he certainly didn't earn it), and because he's a jerk on Twitter.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Overall Impressions:

Liebers: Finally a clean SP. It was about time he broke through the 70s internationally.
Kovtun: Bleh, after he botched the combo I lost all attention. Now RUS has only one spot and Plushenko will have to skate 4 programs at Sochi, ohh the drama.
Aaron: A bit overmarked but powerful and crowd pleasing performance. I like him.
Ge: As ultra adorable as he is, im afraid he's becoming too one-dimensional in all his performances.
Song: Damn Nan!! When your spot for the olympics is at stake you don't skate soo cautiosly and dull. Han Yan will eat you alive next year.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russia is host so it qualifies. For 2014 worlds maybe no Russian man until a qualifying competition.

Now THERE's a fascinating possibility. Plushenko returns in Sochi, wins the gold, and yet Russia is unable to send any man to World's. Crazy.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this...but do you have any idea why is Gachinski doing so poorly? How is it possible for a skater to lose almost all his jumps in a few months?

Mishin has listed three problems:

- boot problems related to his feet developing as flat feet

- immune system problems related to stress

- a personal issue that Gachinski doesn't want to talk about.

IMO it's the last one that is causing the most problems. The boot issue is apparently resolved, and a good thing too since his legs were going numb while he skated.

He has also suffered another growth spurt.

Looking at Ge's PCS now.

Funny how skating a totally empty program ending with a crazy, intense, Plushenko-like step sequence can give you 7s. It's like it's the only thing the judges end up remembering.

icebeauty

On the Ice
It may seem like faint praise, but I actually enjoyed Max's skate better than I did at Nationals. I'm certain that winning there must have given him a confidence boost in his training and approach to this competition.

I actually liked Kovtun fine, the combination excepted, of course. What a terrible burden to place on such a young and relatively inexperienced skater. Someone is to blame for doing that... and it's not the boy.

Song executed his elements to the absolute minimum standard. Really poor; I'm surprised he's in 2nd.

Yes to all the above!

Max was just flying across the ice today, he represented the US really well, and i'm really glad that he got the score that he did. I enjoyed that SP more than i thought I would...crossing my fingers that he continues to develop artistically...there's a lot to be desired, but considering how candid he is about his lack of artistry and his competitive drive, i'm sure he'll eventually get it figured out.

I thought that Kovtun's music/program was too big for him...i feel like he was trying to keep up with the music the whole time, and he jsut wasnt' quite ready to skate...a real pity b/c what he did right was done well

as for Nana SOng...i don't know what happened there...he seemed like he wasn't all checked into the competition and the music/style didn't match at all...i want to like him, but havent' seen anything worthy yet...sigh

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Now THERE's a fascinating possibility. Plushenko returns in Sochi, wins the gold, and yet Russia is unable to send any man to World's. Crazy.

Huh? Russia will always have one spot of worlds regardless of performance. The only requirement is to get the necessary qualifying scores.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
He is 7 now...so 19? Only the first 18 qualify directly?

1. The top 24 qualify for the free skate

2. In terms of Olympic spots, 24 are decided at this Worlds (in the single events). First the nations that have earned multiple spots gets there spots (say, Japan gets three, etc etc). Using this year as an example, 9 nations together make up 19 spots (Canada/France/Japan for three, Kazakhstan, USA, Spain, Italy, Czech Republic for two). So five more slots are decided, and they go to the top nations outside these nine. So again, using last year's worlds, the next five nations would be China, Belgium, Russia, Uzbekistan, and Germany). Germany makes it at 20 (Liebers ranked 20th). Any country can elect not to use a spot they earn (for example, for the 2010 Olympics, Georgia gave up one spot, because they only have Gedevanishivili). 30 entrants go to the Olympics, so at least five are decided at Nebelhorn (the aforementioned 24, plus the host).

emma

Record Breaker
for people streaming britisheurosport in the US - did you have to download something to get it work and if so, was/is it safe? It's saying i need to download and .exe file...and it makes me nervous.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
why did max skate so early?

World Ranking...Max didn't have any Senior GPs, only Senior Bs and 4CC to count.

Max was just flying across the ice today, he represented the US really well, and i'm really glad that he got the score that he did. I enjoyed that SP more than i thought I would...crossing my fingers that he continues to develop artistically...there's a lot to be desired, but considering how candid he is about his lack of artistry and his competitive drive, i'm sure he'll eventually get it figured out.

Free Max Aaron! *kicks Tom Z away*

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Looking at Ge's PCS now.

Funny how skating a totally empty program ending with a crazy, intense, Plushenko-like step sequence can give you 7s. It's like it's the only thing the judges end up remembering.

Ge struck me as a deli sandwich: he's a ham and the program's cheese. Shrug.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
My heart is beating... All these remaining twelve men are just amazing. Hope Verner can do better than in recent competitions. I tink I root for Fernandez, but I want all of them to skate well :yay: