2013 Worlds-Mens SP | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds-Mens SP

Florian

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Really impressive from Chan to remove all doubts and to show his best just at the right time, when the pressure was highest. Ten was the positive surprise of the SP. Many, many negative surprises. Not a good quality for Worlds, same for the judging, too many skaters were over-scored. This way the competition looks better than it was. A pity that Fernández couldn't use the opportunity. The fight for silver and bronze will be exciting.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Holy crap six skaters got all level fours -- Chan, Ten, Reynolds, Takahashi, Liebers and Miner. Well I guess Miner can take comfort that he did something right today.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I'm still kind of confused what happened to Yuzuru and Javier. Whatever Patrick will do in the free, I think this year he deserves the title, while last year was questionable. I hope for Daisuke to get silver and maybe bronze for Denis? I think that Kevin Reynolds has the momentum and the nationality to spoil that podium wish for me, though. Meh. :eek:hwell:

sweetskates1

Medalist
I'm not sure any other US men would have done any better though. Abbott has the potential to be an 85+ SP skater but what if his evil twin showed up? Rippon...maybe a B+ skater. Dornbush hasn't been consistent lately. Frankly, Lysacek could have probably held his own. :slink:

Want to know what I was thinking while watching DTen? Golly, he is skates like a combination of Lysacek and Lambiel..... :slink:

Dots

Final Flight
This is a disaster for Miner. What a choke!!! :scowl:

Well at least Max skated up to his potential and will probably finish in the top ten. The Olympic berth is his' if he leaves a good impression at this worlds.

katia

On the Ice
Indeed. Simply severe will not cut it - does he even need to show up for the free, really?

(I'm curious - as per the pairs thread, all the competition is controlled by the Rus fed - soooo.... what is their evil devious plan in this, I wonder.... ?)

Ah, no. That was PAIRS. This is MENs. RusFed can not control men. But if it was plushchenko i/o KOvun...........:p

flaneur

On the Ice
I would bet money what got to Ross Miner was nerves. Those arms were so stiff I was worried they would snap off.

I agree. I suspected when I saw the starting order that it was going to be tough for him to skate in that position... and it was.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I really hope that other brilliant skaters manage to survive KReynolds' home advantage... he is impressive but I feel no connection... he is so blah.... way worse then Chan at his worst. I believe that Ross has been too consistent for his own good. We continuously label him 'steady eddy' and count on him for being average but dependable. He must believe that he is more than just dependable and medal with great skates internationally.

yuki

Final Flight
No, I just wonder why another skater cannot get appreciated equally much for a performance out of this world..

It's not the performance that bothers me (it was better than what I've seen all season from him), but the crazy GOE he got on his elements, especially the jumps. For instance, do you seriously believe that Patrick's 3A was the best of the night? And the sad thing is, he didn't even need that - he was the clear winner of the SP anyway.

emma

Record Breaker
Protocols are up.

A big :rolleye: at Patrick getting better GOE on his 3A than Yuzuru, among other things.

I'm trying to process and figure out what to say - and my heart is racing. So, I'll start here - haven't seen anything but the final flight AND haven't looked at protocols, but this is where my heart breaks because on first viewing on video, I thought Hanyu's triple axel was aaaaamaaaazing, and Chan's very good - urgh the downside of COP.

But, I have loved Elgy from its inception as an exhibition and then a SP and my goodness, Chan really brought it tonight. Heartfelt congrat and thanks - that was breathtaking to watch!

Um...sorry Ross. urgh.

OMG Denis, Denis, Denis - I had tears at the end of that just because you finally, finally did what we have all known you could. AMAZING.

Dai: love you to death and I really, really like Moonlight Sonata for you a lot!!! This is a great program. Wish you had nailed the quad and had higher score....but, I enjoyed watching that a lot.

Having a hard time with the idea of Javier and Hanyu not being 'up there'....and the mere thought of Japan loosing a spot next year has me in a panic (and that the US might not get a 3rd doesn't feel so good either). Ups and downs with this SP - but right now, I'm sort of flying high on some of the ups...

Art&Sport

Medalist
Denis Ten saves the day!

Patrick Chan skates ok but is the home favourite and doesn't fall 10 times so gets crazy scores.

You want the short list or the long? ;)

Brezina has better posture and lines. Probably basic skating as well. But yeah his program was terrible also.

Joubert has very strong skating skills. His edges are amazing, deep and smooth. He actually moves in time to the music. The program wasn't great either, yes. (Giving him Lv4 is not a crime, he met the criteria).

Reynolds had much more complex choreography, moved in character of the music and in time to it.

Just off the top of my head.

I'll give you Brian is a cut above the rest on this list, but he's not that musical or artistic, and his spins did not deserve level 4. Brezina simply does not have better posture and his program is not good, even though he has the jumps when he's landed them consistently which had been awhile until his last couple of comps. Reynolds has slightly improved and his program has a bit more content, but Reynolds truthfully isn't all that to be scoring so far above 80.

Even Chan was no more stunning here than he's been all season. He just simply cleaned up his jump errors and silly mistakes.

Puchi

On the Ice
I can't believe Chan just skated great and people still find something to complain about.

2009 Chan: Great SS. Yes but he doesn't have a 3 axel.

2010 Chan: Great SS and a 3 axel. Yes, but he laks the almighty quad.

2011 Chan: Great SS, 3 axel and a quad! Yes but he lacks artistry.

2012 Chan: Great SS, 3 axel, a quad and is working on his artistry. Yes, but he's overscored and inconsistent.

2013 Chan: Great SS, 3 axel, a quad and much improved artistry! Yes but I hate his cleavage!

Give me a break.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm trying to process and figure out what to say - and my heart is racing. So, I'll start here - haven't seen anything but the final flight AND haven't looked at protocols, but this is where my heart breaks because on first viewing on video, I thought Hanyu's triple axel was aaaaamaaaazing, and Chan's very good - urgh the downside of COP.

But, I have loved Elgy from its inception as an exhibition and then a SP and my goodness, Chan really brought it tonight. Heartfelt congrat and thanks - that was breathtaking to watch!

Um...sorry Ross. urgh.

OMG Denis, Denis, Denis - I had tears at the end of that just because you finally, finally did what we have all known you could. AMAZING.

Dai: love you to death and I really, really like Moonlight Sonata for you a lot!!! This is a great program. Wish you had nailed the quad and had higher score....but, I enjoyed watching that a lot.

Having a hard time with the idea of Javier and Hanyu not being 'up there'....and the mere thought of Japan loosing a spot next year has me in a panic (and that the US might not get a 3rd doesn't feel so good either). Ups and downs with this SP - but right now, I'm sort of flying high on some of the ups...

Yes, the highs are just as great! I'm hoping at Ross comes back with a strong FS (that seems to be his strong suit anyway) and Max blows it away with his.

emma

Record Breaker
It's not the performance that bothers me (it was better than what I've seen all season from him), but the crazy GOE he got on his elements, especially the jumps. For instance, do you seriously believe that Patrick's 3A was the best of the night? And the sad thing is, he didn't even need that - he was the clear winner of the SP anyway.

right. this takes some of the joy of what was otherwise amazing and without doubt first place..

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I got home just in time to see the second half of Daisuke's skate. But at least I got to see Chan's amazing performance!

But holy salchow at the results! I had bet on Yuzuru to win the whole thing, and the kid is in 9th. :disapp: I am :eek: at Denis Ten's placement. I've pretty much forgotten about him, but I do recall that he's got all the qualities of a great skater. What a time to put it all together, and possibly win Kazakhstan its first skating World medal!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yes... And you don't wonder why that would be? Why is Dai so much more loved?

I'll give you Brian is a cut above the rest on this list, but he's not that musical or artistic, and his spins did not deserve level 4. Brezina simply does not have better posture and his program is not good, even though he has the jumps when he's landed them consistently which had been awhile until his last couple of comps. Reynolds has slightly improved and his program has a bit more content, but Reynolds truthfully isn't all that to be scoring so far above 80.

Even Chan was no more stunning here than he's been all season. He just simply cleaned up his jump errors and silly mistakes.

What criteria did Joubert miss on the spins?

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Overall impressions:

Fernandez -Silly Javi with his silly mistakes. I was right this was a bad Starting order for him. For someone soo charming his performances are still in the "IF jumps fail there's no much left" territory.
Reynolds Im so tired of this SP and his ugly jumps. Deserved the 80+ score but a tad overated. Enjoying his big momentun and home advantage I guess.
Joubert I love his attitude this season. He's the seasoned skaters who has stayed because he loves the sport and still can deliver. Good for him.
Amodio Overmarked for such a flawed program. Great way of laughing off the fall though.
Verner He's a hopeless case. His career is a sad sad story.
Mura Such a shame on the popped quad, he has improved a lot this year. The 3Axel was a beauty.
Brezina Best of him so far this season but that program doesn't suit him at all.
Hanyu WTH was that.. he needs a confidence push.
Ten AWESOME in every way. a complet package. So happy for him.
Takahashi A bit underwhelmed but he still oozes presence on the ice. Shoul've been 3rd IMO.
Chan Never my fave but gotta give credit when its due, that was a Superior performance in every aspect, when he's on he's just the BEST period.
Miner Umm good recovery but after Chan he seemed like a junior kid and it showed in the scores.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I admit to being skeptical of Chan in the past, but not doubt he was dominant tonight. Crazy score, but not totally out of line considering that I thought many of the men were overscored.

Ten was also amazing.

It was pretty bold of Reynolds to go for two SP quads. Good for him... you gotta dance with who brought you. Out of curiosity... would he have an invalid element if that quad toe had been downgraded... since he'd already done a 3T in the combo?

And good for Max Aaron. A very respectable debut. Serious question: when was the last time a US man landed a quad at WC?

The Japanese men... I'm a fan, but wow. That was disappointing. And overscored.

flaneur

On the Ice
I can't believe Chan just skated great and people still find something to complain about.

2009 Chan: Great SS. Yes but he doesn't have a 3 axel.

2010 Chan: Great SS and a 3 axel. Yes, but he laks the almighty quad.

2011 Chan: Great SS, 3 axel and a quad! Yes but he lacks artistry.

2012 Chan: Great SS, 3 axel, a quad and is working on his artistry. Yes, but he's overscored and inconsistent.

2013 Chan: Great SS, 3 axel, a quad and much improved artistry! Yes but I hate his cleavage!

Give me a break.

Hahah... ITA with everything you just wrote (granted I still hate the shirt)