2013 Worlds-Mens SP | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds-Mens SP

ForeverFish

Medalist
Well, if we go by the SP alone, it looks like Chan and Ten on the podium, with a toss-up between Reynolds and Takahashi.

I had to collect myself after Hanyu's skate. Poor kid :cry: He was trying so hard to smile and show his gratitude to the crowd. It doesn't look like Miner and Aaron are going to get those three spots back, but no permutation of the current US men could do it. And what the hell happened to Fernandez? He literally went right from the mountaintop to the abyss. A lot of people will have to bomb the FS for him to have a shot at winning a medal.

icebeauty

On the Ice
I agree. I suspected when I saw the starting order that it was going to be tough for him to skate in that position... and it was.

sad face for Ross...i just wish judges didn't give reputation bonuses...b/c Ross's skate was definitely a low 70-72 point skate, but some of the guys who finished ahead of him...sigh (i'm looking at Amodio and Song in particular)...if he shakes this off, i think he will definitely move up a few spots. he didn't look very comfortable and that fall definitely didn't help matters.
also, i think this is a prime example of how i dont like how the < and << works in the scoring...it doesn't seem right that Ross's only big mistake is a fall on his under-rotated quad, but b/c it's also downgraded, he gets less than 3 points on the jump with the loss of points and negative GOEs...it just doesn't seem right that Ross got a lower TES than Florent Amodio who missed a spin completely and only did a 3S...

Are you for real?...Skates OK?

He was over the toe on the 4toe and had to fight to get the 3toe done.

3axel had the timing off on the take-off and had barely enough height to get completed (I was surprised the landing was so solid, it was very close).

Lutz was good. Spins were good but not exceptional.

What bothers me most is the program. The music is really nuanced and complex and the choreography and his movement just don't live up to it. It's not a piece of music that you can properly skate a competitive figure skating program to.

Skating skills and ice coverage were exceptional as usual.

Maybe they recycled one of his mother's old table cloths. lol

That's exactly what it looked like. :p

Protocols are up.

A big :rolleye: at Patrick getting better GOE on his 3A than Yuzuru, among other things.

Hanyu's 3axel was the best of the event by far.

Chan also got 1.57 for 4toe/3toe. The judges clearly were watching something else.

The GOEs for his first two jumping passes are way way too high.

The protocols generally make for a very depressing reading.

Reynolds got +1 for his tight and slightly cheated 4s/3t. Didn't get deducted for his weak 3axel and got -2 for the 4toe which had so many errors on it, it should have been a straight -3 no questions asked.

Reynolds' really high score shows how overvalued quads are at the moment. Just because he managed to underrotated them less than 1/4, he's getting a crapload of points even though his actual jumping technique on them is terrible.

Also, most judges didn't notice if steps were missing before a jump, as usual. etc. etc. etc.

katia

On the Ice
I can't believe Chan just skated great and people still find something to complain about.

2009 Chan: Great SS. Yes but he doesn't have a 3 axel.

2010 Chan: Great SS and a 3 axel. Yes, but he laks the almighty quad.

2011 Chan: Great SS, 3 axel and a quad! Yes but he lacks artistry.

2012 Chan: Great SS, 3 axel, a quad and is working on his artistry. Yes, but he's overscored and inconsistent.

2013 Chan: Great SS, 3 axel, a quad and much improved artistry! Yes but I hate his cleavage!

Give me a break.

:agree: :agree: :agree:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Is there anyone who didn't predict that inflation will take its field day? Actually, not breaking 100 was almost a modest thing :laugh:. The highest PCS for this sleepy prog that doeesn't catch any artisitc concept was lauphable 2-3- seasons ago. Now it became a normal routine for this sport, unfortunately. Dai got lower PCS than Chan for everything, which beyond any idea of fair play and stupidity, but it fits the corrupted judging perfectly well. Kevin would have got ur for both jumps in combo if it were not in Canada with a Canadian tech squad on the panel of judges. But the "< "sign is reserved only for PChan rivals. Nice work, Canada. Pretty much what I expected. :popcorn:

Plu was the smartest one in this situation when he didn't really plan to got to Worlds in Canada long before his operations, knowing in advance how shamefully the event will be held. He turned out to be right unsurprisingly.

About Hanyu, Orser and especially Hashimoto- I don't want to write anything now. Not in the mood to spoil my brunch.

emma

Record Breaker
Daisuke and Denis also got higher GOE on his 3A compared to Yuzuru.

and while I thought all of these 3 axels were good - I would still say Yuzuru's was the best from take off to landing...

I can't wait to rewatch Ten - although in my mind Chan is the clear, clear winner - and I an an umber-fan of him and happen to love this SP, it's Ten that moved me the most tonight (at least in the positive way, not heartbreak way). wow for him, i'm thrilled.

ETA - i might to add that Ten's jumps were great - including the axel; I just think that Yuzuru's was spectacular on first viewing. To bad he missed the other much need jumps.

I'll give you Brian is a cut above the rest on this list, but he's not that musical or artistic, and his spins did not deserve level 4.

His timing is spot on most of the time. If he did make the required features, then yes his spins deserved Lv4.

Brezina simply does not have better posture

He does. He's not anywhere near as stiff as Aaron and he doesn't a have glaring hunchback. Also, Aaron moves like a bull in a china shop. All the three skaters you have mentioned have an advantage over him in that regard. They might not be the most balletic but they aren't anywhere near as stiff and they extend their movements better.

Reynolds truthfully isn't all that to be scoring so far above 80.

Thank the quad point values for that.

I can't believe Chan just skated great and people still find something to complain about.

There is always something to complain about in each and every single performance that ever was and ever will be skated.

Kevin would have got ur for both jumps in combo if it were not in Canada with a Canadian tech squad on the panel of judges.

No. Both of the jumps were clearly cheated less than 1/4.

IndieBoi

On the Ice

2009 Chan: Great SS. Yes but he doesn't have a 3 axel.

2010 Chan: Great SS and a 3 axel. Yes, but he laks the almighty quad.

2011 Chan: Great SS, 3 axel and a quad! Yes but he lacks artistry.

2012 Chan: Great SS, 3 axel, a quad and is working on his artistry. Yes, but he's overscored and inconsistent.

2013 Chan: Great SS, 3 axel, a quad and much improved artistry! Yes but I hate his cleavage!

Give me a break.

ITA!!

Some comments really illustrate why (most of) our associations with figure skating is as armchair skating board anonymous judges/posters. I understand that people have preferences and faves, but please, give credit when it’s due.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Patrick CHAN (CAN) - 98.37 Short Program
2. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 91.56
3. Kevin REYNOLDS (CAN) - 85.16
4. Daisuke TAKAHASHI (JPN) - 84.67 Short Program
5. Brian JOUBERT (FRA) - 84.17 Short Program
6. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 83.09
7. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) - 80.76 Short Program
8. Max AARON (USA) - 78.20
9. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 75.94 Short Program
10. Florent AMODIO (FRA) - 75.73
11. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 73.46 Short Program
12. Nan SONG (CHN) - 73.03

katia

On the Ice
Plu was the smartest one in this situation when he didn't really plan to got to Worlds in Canada long before his operations, knowing in advance how shamefully the event will be held. He turned out to be right unsurprisingly.

Oh my. Pluschchenko was smart, here I agree with you. He was smart because he wouldn't medal at all. Plu is much worse then Japanese and Canadians skaters. Plu was great long time ago but the "times they are changing":biggrin:

Icey

Record Breaker
Dai got two ur's. I hope a pattern is not beginning to develop. As usual some of the scoring is puzzling, but it was Chan's night, although the score is probably slightly too high. The rest of the guys just as well go home with that kind of lead (tongue-in cheek). Ten is about the only one who has a chance to take the gold from him and he......

yuki

Final Flight
Daisuke and Denis also got higher GOE on his 3A compared to Yuzuru.

Yes, but Daisuke and Denis actually have good 3A. Patrick's is just adequate, when he lands it - but it seems that merely landing the jump warrants sky high GOE for him. I don't even want to get started on his 4T-3T.

Puchi

On the Ice
Please, someone upload Denis Ten's SP, I have to watch it again. It was just marvelous!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh yeah. Before I forget:

Paging Brian Joubert. The 1990's called. They want their program back.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Oh my. Pluschchenko was smart, here I agree with you. He was smart because he wouldn't medal at all. Plu is much worse then Japanese and Canadians skaters. Plu was great long time ago but the "times they are changing":biggrin:

Please don't engage with the most relentlessly anti-Canadian xenophobe since the War of 1812.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I must say that I find that Patrick was absolutely outstanding and thoses haters have just to

SHHHHUUUUUUTTTTTTT UPPP!!!

I was also finding that Patrick was overscore over the past few year, but tonight it was totally different: What an amazing speed, choreography and quality of jumps he has :eek:
This was an amazing and unreal performance, I was impress that he manage to make a triple toe like nothing happen after his quad and make the jumps look great.
This performance was well score and well deserved :clap:

And, also, I enjoy Denis Ten skating and I hope that he keeps surprise us to the FS, he has the potential to medal here :)

Kevin Reynolds deserve also his score, I must say that his main problem is his speed accross the ice and his skating skill, but we got to credit him for be able to put 2 quads in the SP, it gives him is special advantage in the technical mark to surpass his nemesis the program component :yes:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Dai got two ur's. I hope a pattern is not beginning to develop.

Dai has gotten that 3t on the end of the 3z/3t < before. That 3t has just not looked great since Dai came back from his injuries. There were a couple of times when I thought he was lucky to escape without a < on it.