2013 Worlds-Mens SP | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds-Mens SP

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Patrick CHAN (CAN) - 98.37 Short Program
2. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 91.56 Short Program
3. Kevin REYNOLDS (CAN) - 85.16
4. Daisuke TAKAHASHI (JPN) - 84.67 Short Program
5. Brian JOUBERT (FRA) - 84.17 Short Program
6. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 83.09
7. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) - 80.76 Short Program
8. Max AARON (USA) - 78.20
9. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 75.94 Short Program
10. Florent AMODIO (FRA) - 75.73
11. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 73.46 Short Program
12. Nan SONG (CHN) - 73.03

yuki

Final Flight
I was also finding that Patrick was overscore over the past few year, but tonight it was totally different: What an amazing speed, choreography and quality of jumps he has :eek:

We must have been watching different programs. But hey, at least he landed all of his jumps, so that's great, I guess (the 3Lz was very good, though).

Art&Sport

Medalist
It's not the performance that bothers me (it was better than what I've seen all season from him), but the crazy GOE he got on his elements, especially the jumps. For instance, do you seriously believe that Patrick's 3A was the best of the night? And the sad thing is, he didn't even need that - he was the clear winner of the SP anyway.

Yeah, I agree. Let's be real. All top three skaters have inflated scores. Chan's scores are over the top inflated. He shouldn't be any higher than 87, if that (and Reynolds 82, with Denis around 85, Brezina 80.89, and Joubert 81). Chan focused on improving his artistry this season, which wasn't too bad to begin with, and he's done well overall this season, but with lots of small errors that were still fairly forgiven -- he just wasn't making top of the podium. So now with a clean, but not stunningly better performance than he's been doing all year re presentation, his score almost reaches 100. I don't see that. But I guess all's right with the world for Chan fans.

*sadtrombone* for Ross Miner. *funeral horns* for US men's skating.

Look, if you had, one shot, or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted, one moment
Would you capture it?
Or just let it slip, yo

His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy ...

He's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready ...

He's chokin' how, everybody's chokin' now
The clock's run out, times up, over, blaw!

Snap, back to reality, oh, there goes gravity
Oh, there goes Miner he choked, he's so mad but he won't
Give up that easy, no, he won't have it he knows
His whole back's to these ropes, it don't matter he's dope
He knows that but he's broke, he so stagnant he knows ...

And so it goes ... U.S. men gotta find some inspiration and determination rather quickly. There was a small chance for three spots. But the guys shouldn't have gone in thinking about 3 spots. They needed to just be prepared to deliver. Some of the other blokes got lucky with the scoring, but the top guys laid down clean programs except for a turn-out or two. And some of those well known and hot to trot right now got scoring boosts as well.

I really can't see Ross being dumped behind Peter Liebers and Nan Song, nor even Mura. Ross does have better skating skills than those guys IMO, even if he still needs to work on style and presentation. Well, the least to hope is that Ross can pull up to 11 or so and Max to 6 with clean programs. U.S. guys in general are usually dumped on reputation-wise. And it hurts the entire U.S. men's field as a result. Still have to say the mistake began with USFS erring in not sending Jeremy Abbott to Worlds 2011 when he'd had a good season and just a few slip-ups at Nationals in the fp. Those mistakes should not have kept Jeremy out of Worlds by .19 that year. I can understand Abbott not getting the nod for Worlds this year, but I bet he could have laid down a clean short and not be too far off where Max is now. In any case, 2011 is where the U.S. men lost ground because ISU judges did not respect clean programs from Richard and Ross at their debut worlds, and Ryan B had never been considered top of the heap by ISU judges, added to him not performing his best.

lavender

Record Breaker
Big Dai fan but I'm also a fan of Chan's skating and his short is awesome. I've been waiting for him to skate JB's program clean. Now hopefully Dai will find a way to get on that podium. Don't like Kevin, Joubert or Max skating but they placed right imo. Too bad about Hanyu and Javier. Hopefully they can skate better since I expect if they do they would be ahead of Kevin and Joubert.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's like he's (Joubert) been skating the same program for the last 10 years, innit. :p

Yes. Dear Lord, please tell me his long program isn't skated to the Matrix soundtrack.

yuki

Final Flight
Yes. Dear Lord, please tell me his long program isn't skated to the Matrix soundtrack.

:laugh: Close - the Gladiator soundtrack.

I wasn't exactly a big fan of Joubert back in the day, but now, even with his recycled programs and nonexistent choreography, I find myself rooting for him because he's part of the Old Guard. Call it nostalgia if you will, but I think it's really uplifting to see a skater who has been around since forever still doing well.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Holy crap, Japan might seriously end up with only 2 spots next year. They're already at 13 going into the free. The Japanese men peaked too early.

I haven't watched the programs but I have looked at the protocols. Takahashi has a big potential to move up (onto the podium--yes!) and Hanyu, too. I would be totally shocked if they didn't get three spots.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I haven't watched the programs but I have looked at the protocols. Takahashi has a big potential to move up (onto the podium--yes!) and Hanyu, too. I would be totally shocked if they didn't get three spots.

Hate to be the killjoy here, but Hanyu's asthma usually prevents him from skating clean free skates. I think the last time he had a genuinely clean one was at the 2012 Finlandia Trophy, where he had to lie on the ice afterward to regain his breath.

flaneur

On the Ice
Now that the SP is over, I hope all the skaters (both the ones who exceeded expectations and the ones who faltered) are able to regroup for Friday's LP. Looking at the scores today with this season's LP scores, the fight for silver and bronze is still very much in play. And as we just saw, ice is *%^#ing slippery and I truly believe that this field of men are uber talented...

yuki

Final Flight

Well, Yuzuru did manage to get on the podium from a 7th place SP last year, but I'm afraid he dug himself into a much bigger hole this time :no:. I'm expecting Daisuke to move up, unless it's 4CC all over again.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
We must have been watching different programs. But hey, at least he landed all of his jumps, so that's great, I guess (the 3Lz was very good, though).

I can understand what you think.
Maybe Patrick Chan triple axel look bad in the air, but Patrick secure high quality when he landed his jump so we don't pay attention to his air position for the GOE. and for the quad it's exactly the same thing, the landing was great even if he have trouble between the combo and also, quad+triple is much more impressive than quad in single so the judge like skater who challenge the impossible.

Like Mao Asada Triple axel for example (the judge tend to be nice with the GOE considering the challenge it is for a girl to do triple axel) so they do the same for Patrick Chan.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I guess I wouldn't last as a judge because no way I would put Kevin ahead Dai's skate.

Nor I. Yes, Reynolds' has improved. Yes, Takahashi's jumps aren't the greatest. But the difference in SS alone should allow Takahashi to shellack Reynolds, on the basis of these two skates.

Answering my own question: Yes, Leonova was commentating for Sport 2. She seemed cute. :)

Nor I. Yes, Reynolds' has improved. Yes, Takahashi's jumps aren't the greatest. But the difference in SS alone should allow Takahashi to shellack Reynolds, on the basis of these two skates.

Also PE (posture, lines, the way they move).