2013 Worlds Ice Dance Short Dance SD | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ice Dance Short Dance SD

Actually forget what I said, looking at that judge's other scores, that 4.75 was probably a mistake. But nothing can be done about it. Once the scores are posted, they cannot be changed.

Dots

Final Flight
Oh Boy! Things just went from bad to worse for the Shibs. :scowl:

Oh well I hope this fires them in the FD.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I am sure the Shibutanis are very happy with their score and result. It is better than I think anyone predicted for them prior to Worlds. That they even have a chance to finish as high as 5th or 6th is pretty amazing the way they have been sliding of late.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Lowest and highest scores don't count.

In any case, 4.75 sounds about right, generous even. :p

I mean their movement had hardly anything to do with the music, I wouldn't be that surprised if there was one gutsy judge who decided to reflect that with their scores.

This really shouldn't be allowed to happen. They have skated at numerous international competitions this season and there was never a problem and they get penalised now? It didn't just cost them that one point but also meant both of their polka sequences were Lv1s because of timing calls.

That's a shame because I thought the Turks--especially him--had real personality on ice, unlike so many other couples who finished higher than them in the short. They really do need to increase their BV though--its killing their chances. But definitely a team to look out for next year.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
People in the rink said on Russian forums that the audience was very unsupportive. Some people even left and those who stayed demonstrated very petty attitude. B/S were like skating in the empty arena. More cheers to them for good showing in spite of all.

Pj Kwong now looks even more stupid when she accused the Japanese audience for hostile attitude to rivals.

Some stories from the rink are just anecdotes. One Canadian granny was shocked when the R-fans showed her the Russian flag. She thought it was French, she didn't know that the red flag of the USSR hasn't been in use since 1991. Lol. Not a huge surprise in fact considering that some their countrymen wrote on GS that there was a Russia-Canada war in 1812. That is probably indeed what they teach them at school.

The audience in general is a retirement village. Very few younger people, not as some Euros are accustomed to see at fs events.

KKonas

Medalist
FYI - SD Judges
1. Kunnas-Helminen FIN
2. Nechkina AZE
3. Andreeva RUS
4. Cuchran SLOVAK REP
5. Ryan AUS
6. Coton GBR
7. Rettstatt USA
8. Krauziene LTU
9. Hamel FRA

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Disappointed that Gilles & Poirier finished in 15th. They deserved higher than that. They skated a clean program and were better than a number of the teams that placed ahead of them. Seems like they were penalized because they skated early in the night and because they hadn't been at the Worlds as a team before.

I'm hoping they can move up in the Free Dance the way they have at other events this season.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
It looks like Gilles & Poirier will be somewhere from 13th to 15th after the SD depending how the British and Germans fare. Very poor like I predicted. A mediocre and ridiculously overhyped by the CSA team.

Chock & Bates have a huge gap over these middling mid pack teams that have gone so far. That has got to fit a number of teams that are left still in between probably. It will be interesting to see how high they finish.

Take your hate for G&P and shove it - you've been bashing them for months. They are a good team and were undermarked here because they skated early in the night and have not been at the Worlds before. They skated much better than many of the teams that placed ahead of them. They are better than Chock & Bates and several of the others. G&P beat Chock & Bates in the FD at 4 Continents and have the potential to move up in the FD here too.

G&P will continue to advance in the standings down the road with more international experience.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Thank goodness Weaver & Poje are skating here since it looks like I predicted Gilles & Poirier are too weak to even have kept that 3rd spot on their own. Then again it is their own spot (or their own chance of even getting to the Games) they would have lost in that case. Hopefully next year a better matched and superior team overtake them as Canada's #3. Canada needs to get over their lovefest for Paul Poirier already, which has already cost Canada the bronze at the 2011 Worlds and other things. International judges dont think he is that amazing and never will, no matter how much over the top love the CSA showers on him and his various partners.

You are full of baloney and here you go with about your 10th post in this thread bashing Paul Poirier. Crone & Poirier did not receive high marks only from Canadian judges - you totally omitted that they won medals on the Grand Prix circuit as a team, as well as winning a medal at the Grand Prix Final. They also finished as high as 7th at the Worlds and had a decent score at the last Olympics too. So your theory that Poirier only receives high marks from judges at the Canadians is totally false.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Take your hate for G&P and shove it - you've been bashing them for months. They are a good team and were undermarked here because they skated early in the night and have not been at the Worlds before. They skated much better than many of the teams that placed ahead of them. They are better than Chock & Bates and several of the others. G&P beat Chock & Bates in the FD at 4 Continents and have the potential to move up in the FD here too.

G&P will continue to advance in the standings down the road with more international experience.

Woah, calm down! Seriously. I don't always see eye to eye with pangtongfan either, but it's totally unnecessary to ask her to "shove it." You wouldn't like someone saying that to you, would you?

Sorry for breaking my policy of commenting on the boards, but I don't like anyone being asked to "shove it." You can defend your favorite skater without directing attacks at other posters. God knows I do it all the time with my Shib Sibs. :)

Mao88

Record Breaker
SHORT DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Meryl DAVIS & Charlie WHITE (USA) - 77.12 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
2. Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR (CAN) - 73.87 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
3. Ekaterina BOBROVA & Dmitri SOLOVIEV (RUS) - 70.05 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
4. Nathalie PECHALAT & Fabian BOURZAT (FRA) - 69.65 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
5. Anna CAPPELLINI & Luca LANOTTE (ITA) - 67.93 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
6. Kaitlyn WEAVER & Andrew POJE (CAN) - 67.54 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
7. Madison CHOCK & Evan BATES (USA) - 66.74 Short Dance
8. Maia SHIBUTANI & Alex SHIBUTANI (USA) - 66.14 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
9. Elena ILINYKH & Nikita KATSALAPOV (RUS) - 66.07 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
10. Penny COOMES & Nicholas BUCKLAND (GBR) - 63.66 Short Dance, 2nd Copy
11. Nelli ZHIGANSHINA & Alexander GAZSI (GER) - 60.59 Short Dance
12. Pernelle CARRON & Lloyd JONES (FRA) - 60.58 Short Dance
13. Ekaterina RIAZANOVA & Ilia TKACHENKO (RUS) - 59.52 Short Dance
14. Siobhan HEEKIN-CANEDY & Dmitri DUN (UKR) - 59.20 Short Dance
15. Piper GILLES & Paul POIRIER (CAN) - 58.61 Short Dance
16. Charlene GUIGNARD & Marco FABBRI (ITA) - 57.89 Short Dance
17. Julia ZLOBINA & Alexei SITNIKOV (AZE) - 57.80 Short Dance
18. Isabella TOBIAS & Deividas STAGNIUNAS (LTU) - 57.39 Short Dance
19. Cathy REED & Chris REED (JPN) - 53.95 Short Dance
20. Sara HURTADO & Adria DIAZ (ESP) - 53.12
21. Lucie MYSLIVECKOVA & Neil BROWN (CZE) - 51.82 Short Dance
22. Olesia KARMI & Max LINDHOLM (FIN) - 48.06
23. Allison REED & Vasili ROGOV (ISR) - 46.63
24. Zsuzsanna NAGY & Mate FEJES (HUN) - 45.60 Short Dance
25. Irina SHTORK & Taavi RAND (EST) - 45.29 Short Dance
26. Federica TESTA & Lukas CSOLLEY (SVK) - 44.73 Short Dance
27. Justyna PLUTOWSKA & Peter GERBER (POL) - 44.00
28. Alisa AGAFONOVA & Alper UCAR (TUR) - 43.98 Short Dance
29. Viktoria KAVALIOVA & Yurii BIELIAIEV (BLR) - 32.50 Short Dance

flaneur

On the Ice
four points is a bit of an impossible hill to climb, especially with the way DW have been skating this season. Even knowing it will probably not be enough, I just hope that VM will take it as a challenge and skate a lights out Carmen (I've loved the program since it debuted and really want to see it skated to the max no matter what the result).

Tammi

On the Ice
Really? :confused: It was considered an acceptable tempo at Euros. This is where the opinions of different Tech/Judging Panels is confused. By Worlds these issues should be sorted already. They can't penalise a couple for that at the final event of the season when they have no chance to correct it.

This really shouldn't be allowed to happen. They have skated at numerous international competitions this season and there was never a problem and they get penalised now? It didn't just cost them that one point but also meant both of their polka sequences were Lv1s because of timing calls.

Just to clarify the music and timing calls for the TUR team. The 1.0 deduction comes from the referee. I've seen this happen to other teams where a tempo violation is not called at one event, but it is called at another. I don't believe the judges see that deduction, so it wouldn't influence their Interpretation/Timing mark (unless they thought the tempo was off as well). Based on the protocols, it does appear that 5 out of the 9 judges were in agreement about the tempo.

The "T" for timing that was called during their Yankee Polka is done by the technical callers and based on the team hitting the correct edges on the key points, but not holding them for the required number of beats.

To be honest though, I was pretty shocked at how low their scores were and I kept checking the wedgie page to see if it was a mistake. It was really too bad and they were so crushed.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I'm happy for the Shibs. I think Zueva doesn't know what to do for this team, but I do think that they have the technical goods to be one of the top American teams for the next quad barring Alex's nagging injury. Maia has probably finished growing now and they can finally settle down and expand.

I am worried that compared to 2011, they haven't been getting the levels they used to on their elements which was their bread and butter and helped put them in position to be in the top tier at Worlds over the Russians in 2011. I wonder if Zueva and her team can really help them consistently get high levels again or if they need to move elsewhere. We all know how everyone feels about their SD. I actually thought their SD was better earlier in the season in terms of element placement and allowing them sections to actually interpret the music and dance, and this re-choregraphed version from Nationals on was less effective. That said, this is the best they have skated it all year which bodes well for them. Lucky for them, they're in striking distance to hit the top 5, and their FD is much better received by the judges than the SD which had been their weakness in the past two seasons.

I think they lucked out with getting the Quickstep for the SD next season as it was their Ballroom style FD that won the judges favor two years ago. I do want them to branch out and loosen up. I think that (on top of inconsistency with getting high levels) is what is holding them back with the judges. Also, U.S. Figure Skating would be fools to "drop" them as the international judges consistently give them one of the higher PCS among the American teams, although I do think Hubbell/Donahue should be the ones to watch (I am a huge fan of theirs). Chock/Bates FD has not been as well-received as the Shibs and H/D and I think it was a mistake to score that dance so high at Nationals.