2013 Worlds Ice Dance Short Dance SD | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ice Dance Short Dance SD

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The Turks got a deduction for Musical Tempo????? Hmpf. They probably should have picked a hoedown polka...
:p

Tesla

Final Flight
Oi. I watched D/W and V/M and what a difference! D/W were so light and fast and energetic. It was so joyful! V/M seemed so slow and lethargic and dirge-like. Where was the joy? What were they thinking? I know Scott hates the Yankee Polka, but geez!

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
Yeah- it's funny. Just like trankov spoke in favor of menshov and v/t did well did b or s say something? Lol! Rob him of his potential worlds spot!

The funny thing is that Soloviev openly supported Menshov as well. :laugh:

I am absolutely thrilled for Merlie. What a SD!
Great to see B&S in third place at the moment. They program was beautifully skated.

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
I'll probably be crucified for saying this, and maybe it should be its own thread, but I honestly don't think that Voir have improved at all since Vancouver. Of course, they are probably the best natural ice dancers and Tessa's chronic leg problems haven't helped, but natural ability only goes so far. But again YMMV...

I've been thinking this too. Please don't kill me! :slink: I still consider myself a V/M fan! I just haven't felt that magic since the 2010 season. They're still world class, don't get me wrong. Their peak was very, very high. I just think it came 2 years ago. Things feel a little more forced now. The injury probably has inhibited any real improvements so I don't think that lack of talent or motivation has anything to do with it. You can tell they're still trying to push the envelope. Just not sure they're succeeding.

I liked Weaver/Poje's SD better today. Loved it!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I am absolutely thrilled for Merlie. What a SD!
Great to see B&S in third place at the moment. They program was beautifully skated.

Hence they are exempt from any voodoo! :laugh:

Can't wait to see D/W...I didn't get to see the whole thing.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
And that's why 6 or 7 teams are all in contention for the bronze.

Only 2 or 3 teams have a prayer at the bronze. B&S and P&B obviously, and a very slim shot for C&L (which would be W&P instead but they were barely edged out of the final flight).

gmyers

Record Breaker

skated.

Amazing. Spooky lol

Russian fed fiddled so much with the men and ladies. I knew it would be a mistake. Creating scandal and big fights rather than just have a stable situation. This worlds was important! How many times is Russia going to host the winter Olympics?!?

Protocols make for a depressing reading. I thought they'd explain a lot but no, I'm even more confused now.

It looks like the judges didn't notice Pechalat/Bourzat and Weaver/Poje's twizzles being a little off (well P/B's were more than a little off, it was a mess tbh).

Same with Ilynikh/Katsalapov. They placed low because of levels, their twizzle GOE was quite high.

W/P only had TES that low because of their midline being called Lv2.

A random thought:

Zhiganshina/Gazsi were the only memorable program of the evening. Technically they are not great but I love their theatrical routines.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yeah, the horse race is really for 5th place and 6th place (the last two seeded spots for GP) with 1.86 points separating 5th and 9th (overall; the 1.43 gap between 2nd and 8th is just in TES).

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Zhiganshina/Gazsi were the only memorable program of the evening. Technically they are not great but I love their theatrical routines.

I think two things really hurt them: the costumes were awful. And the downbeat ending. Well and the screwed up twizzles. Not a great night for twizzling. And with some quirky falls in the women's short program, you have to wonder about the ice conditions. But yes, conceptually it was one of the most memorable programs of the night.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
FD order is up. V/M skate first. D/W skate third (in the final group, of course). B/S skate before P/B, so nail biter for bronze. W/P skate last in the penultimate group, which is directly in reverse order (10, 9, 8, 7, 6). So weird

As for predictions.... I/K are at risk because they suck at levels and this panel will call them on it. P/B and W/P will be on the fence and likely be downgraded on levels for their footwork. Chock/Bates could really surprise, as could C/L.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think Zoueva foisted "Carmen" on V/M. Tessa and Scott have been very vocal about how they wanted to make a statement with an avant garde FD. They studied modern dance and incorporated moves they'd learned into their FD. It may be that their vision has proved to be too difficult for them to execute cleanly, but it is THEIR vision, not Marina's.

And yes, Marina had offered D/W a Frank Sinatra FD, and after a few weeks, they discarded it in favor of Notre Dame de Paris.

So both teams are doing what THEY wanted to do, not what their coach/choreographer forced on them.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
FD order is up. V/M skate first. D/W skate third (in the final group, of course). B/S skate before P/B, so nail biter for bronze. W/P skate last in the penultimate group, which is directly in reverse order (10, 9, 8, 7, 6). So weird

Interesting. My predictions at this point would be that I&K pass both U.S teams to skate directly after them. W&P could have a shaky skate and drop below I&K as well, or have a very good one and possibly pass C&L to finish 5th. B&S I predict to stay 3rd, and D&W to easily stay first over V&M.

We got a good FD draw. First and second place are decided already so it's good V/M and D/W are skating early.

V/M will win silver even if they decide to take a break in the middle of their program, so as not to exert themselves too much. /troll :p

Bobrova/Soloviev and Pechalat/Bourzat skating last will provide tension until the last moment for the only exciting battle. For the bronze medal.

P/B are not in a good shape but then B/S are not exactly the beacons of consistency so who knows. I do expect B/S to stay 3rd, though.

Heh if somebody told me that Ice Dance placements could be random, unexpected, surprising and that teams could move a lot between the programs 10 years ago, I'd laugh in their face. ;)