2013 Worlds - Pairs SP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds - Pairs SP

FSGMT

Record Breaker
What a program for the Chinese pair!! She has the best solo jumps I've ever seen from an asian girl I think, almost as good as the single skaters'!

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG (CHN)

Music: Live and Let Die by Paul McCartney performed by David Garrett

3Tw - very high
3T - solid
3LoTh
BoDs
FCCoSp - off/on unison
StSq
Li

They (and Bin Yao) look pleased. Solid skate, no big mistakes. Should take the lead for now.

SP: 32.77 + 25.75 = 58.52
In 1st (out of 5)

tulosai

Record Breaker
P/Z without any character.... maybe in 1st?

I think they do need to work on personality but in their lift I actually liked her split position that I think looks unnatural and unhealthy from most other girls out there. I look forward to more from these tow next season. IMO this should be in first.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Good for you! I totally felt your pain of paying off student debt. I finally paid it off a few years ago and it feels so freeing to not have to put money toward that anymore.

For me, I already subscribe to Ice Network, so I'm not going to go out of my way to pay more -- rather just wait until IN has the streaming rights again and make do with free streams and YouTube videos.

Thanks! That is so nice to hear :)

That is fair enough too. I am not meaning to rag on you in particular. For what it's worth I also think Starbucks is evil haha but you are probably right and not everyone is like me. However I think there may be more people at least sort of like me than you think.

Maybe you are right. And yes, Starbucks is evil and you wouldn't see me dead in there. ;)

As to the casual viewer thing, if that is what you meant I totally agree. Those people do blow my mind too especially when they focus mostly only on one skater and seem not to have seen any others... and yet insist theirs is the only right opinion... it is too weird.

Especially when the 'obscure' skaters are often the most interesting ones. :)

FSGMT

Record Breaker
The stadium looks almost full of people and it's just a SP! Nice to see it!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
C/S are just not as good as the Caydee and John. They always make mistakes, and their elements aren't hard.

paircheck

Final Flight
dlM/G i like this pair very much... and their sp .. but many litte mistakes... not their best...

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE (ITA)

Music: Nothing Else Matters by Metallica

3Tw - low, wonky catch
3S - she has hand down, he turn-out
3STh - twofoot, stepout
Li - very slight wobble on footwork
StSq
BoDs - good speed in and out
FCCoSp - unison on

Vasiliev looks on strained... probably not too happy, as they had mistakes on all the big elements.

SP: 25.73 + 22.0 = 47.82
In 4th (out of 6)

tulosai

Record Breaker
DM/G have some really interesting holds, almost ice dancer like. I enjoy watching them but for some reason they never really stand out to me.

gold12345

Medalist
That is all very commendable but I highly doubt that there are a lot of people like you out there.

12$ is like two or three Starbucks coffees isn't it? And little 'pleasures' like this is something most people allow themselves every now and then (or every day ;P).

I know plenty of people who cannot afford Starbucks, especially not every day, and simply make their own coffee. There are plenty of people living paycheck to paycheck who watch just about every penny, regardless of country. And if they do have a chance to spend money for fun, it usually goes to their family or something like that, not an internet skating broadcast.

It's sad when diehard skating fans can't fully enjoy the sport they love just because you have to pay to watch it in most instances.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
DM/G qualified for the FS!! :yay: Just 0.46 more than the Germans...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I have problem getting online with my computer and am now watching on a borrowed dinosaur of a lap top. Slo mo streaming with catching up thus missing small portions here and there. Great for watching the pair's synch but I can't comment on other aspects of their elements.

At least I wouldn't be considered a casual viewer, would I? ;)

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Another reason some of us won't pay money: if you're in a country where the bandwidth infrastructure is inadequate speed to get good streams, or subject to being severely throttled, there's not really much point to fork over cash. If I have to suffer choppy, freezing streams regardless of source, I'd rather do it for free than pay for same.

And BTW I'm one of those who's like Tulosai. I spent 9 long years of denying myself nonessential frills (including passing up opportunities to see conveniently-located live skating competitions and shows) in order to pay off student debt and have owed not a cent to anyone since then. That was a long time ago but it's the greatest feeling in the world. Anyone out there who thinks watching skating is the end-all and be-all of life, simply hasn't lived long enough or been smacked around by Life enough, to get some perspective.

Where did you get that number, Ziggy? 68?

Most of the audience seem to be pensioners. Nothing wrong about pensioners but it would be great if figure skating could appeal to a wider range of people, especially those in the younger age ranges who are the biggest spenders.

I know plenty of people who cannot afford Starbucks, especially not every day, and simply make their own coffee. There are plenty of people living paycheck to paycheck who watch just about every penny, regardless of country. And if they do have a chance to spend money for fun, it usually goes to their family or something like that, not an internet skating broadcast.

This is what really bugs me. It is something that most people will say because it makes them look good but I don't believe it for a second. Yes there surely are some people who are really thrifty and who watch their spending carefully but I bet that most probably spend money on a lot of things that aren't essential like fags, chocolate, clothes, alcohol and what not (delete as appropriate). Would be interesting to find some research on this (I bet there's a lot of sociologists/economists/psychologists who have tackled this).

It's sad when diehard skating fans can't fully enjoy the sport they love just because you have to pay to watch it in most instances.

This is another thing that bugs me. Nothing is free. If you want something, you have to pay for it. That's simply the way things are.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Overall Impressions:

Polish Team: At least they didnt suck as much as they did at Euros.
Sui & Han: Tons of personality and expression. Shes not recovered yet and it shows.
V & VC: A very good program, such a shame about the falls. She was pissed at the low scores.
C & S: She's great, he will never be on her level. This is worse than watching Volozohar & Morozov.
P & Z : Very good except for the spins were a mess.
DM & G: Meh, and he's not that good looking IMO.

tulosai

Record Breaker
This is another thing that bugs me. Nothing is free. If you want something, you have to pay for it. That's simply the way things are.

This is true. Almost all of us who do watch figure skating even through 'free' stream do so because we do pay for internet access. In addition even if there truly is no monetary cost, there is almost always a space cost and/or a time cost.