2013 Worlds Ladies SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies SP

Do you mean Lipnitskaia and Pogorilaya? Neither of whom have any major senior international experience? :laugh:

If Russia holds onto three spots, Leonova's going to the Olympics. The Russian Fed won't risk sending three mostly inexperienced skaters to represent the country on home ice. Tukt and Sotnikova are probably going to beat Leonova, yes, as they've done all season. But she was sent to Worlds for a reason.

Lipnistkaia and Pogorilaya aren't inexperienced. They have done JGP and Junior Worlds and Lipnitskaia has done GP as well. They know very well how an international competition feels like. And they are easily going to beat Leonova next season. She's done.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Lipnistkaia and Pogorilaya aren't inexperienced. They have done JGP and Junior Worlds and Lipnitskaia has done GP as well. They know very well how an international competition feels like. And they are easily going to beat Leonova next season. She's done.

Agree to disagree, I suppose. I doubt the Russian Fed is going to send any skater to the Olympics if he/she hasn't even been to Worlds.

Agree to disagree, I suppose. I doubt the Russian Fed is going to send any skater to the Olympics if he/she hasn't even been to Worlds.

It would be very stupid not to send a skater to the Olympics just because that skater has never been to Worlds when said skater regularly gets TES twice as high as Leonova.

Of course who knows. The younger girls might not survive puberty, Leonova might become very consistent (yeah right :p) but the way things look at the moment, she's going to be left in the dust next season at Russian Nationals.

Sorry, which skater is that?

Hyperbole, obviously. But the young ones have outjumped Leonova at each and every single event this season. She can't keep up with that. She's never been consistent and she doesn't have a 3lutz/3toe.

Unless there's a miracle and she starts skating clean programs next season, I can't see her ever making the Russian team again.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Hyperbole, obviously. But the young ones have outjumped Leonova at each and every single event this season. She can't keep up with that. She's never been consistent and she doesn't have a 3lutz/3toe.

Unless there's a miracle and she starts skating clean programs next season, I can't see her ever making the Russian team again.

No, not really.

Lipnitskaia's jumps are tiny and her 2A is atrocious. I honestly can't see her holding onto them after puberty hits, which it is currently doing. And Pogorilaya hasn't built up enough international credibility to be considered for the Oly team.

From another perspective, by your reasoning, the Russian Fed should send two seventeen-year-olds and a fifteen-year-old to the Olympics. I can't imagine how that would go wrong. :rolleye:

From another perspective, by your reasoning, the Russian Fed should send two seventeen-year-olds and a fifteen-year-old to the Olympics. I can't imagine how that would go wrong. :rolleye:

What does age have to do with it? You send the best skaters, end of story. Lipinski won when she was 14.

ForeverFish

Medalist
What does age have to do with it? You send the best skaters, end of story. Lipinski won when she was 14.

Lipinski was 15, and already had a World title under her belt. Her tech content wasn't great, but she did have amazing artistry. I would hardly consider Lipnitskaia or Pogorilaya the best in Russia, though I can see the argument being made for Tukt and Sotnikova. So, yeah--in this case, age does matter.

ETA: Also, for what it's worth, Leonova's world ranking (4th) is a good amount ahead of Lipnitskaia's (13th). It's ridiculous to assume that one season on the senior circuit would prepare any skater for the Olympic Games, especially when they're being held on home ice.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Leonova's world ranking (4th) is a good amount ahead of Lipnitskaia's (13th). It's ridiculous to assume that one season on the senior circuit would prepare any skater for the Olympic Games, especially when they're being held on home ice.

That's NOW, before the 2010/2011 data is purged, and the 2011/2012 data is reduced to 70% of its value.
All Leonova's great results were in those two seasons. Her results from the current season aren't great at all.

After the old data is removed/reduced, Leonova will drop below Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva and Lipnitskaia on the World Ranking list. And if Alena doesn't skate well at Worlds, and several ladies now below her (Meite, Gold, Marchei) do skate well, she could drop even lower.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I highly doubt it. ;)

Well, huge like 5th or 6th place. Alena does enough technically in the SP and the judges don't have anyone else to leave room for after her. Being the most recent silver medalist I don't see the judges putting her 10th if she's clean and does a 3-3.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
that draw on Leonova is a guaranteed bombing Galore
plus she hasn't been confident this whole Season

If Russia only gets 2 spots for Olympics
its goodbye Leonova

Lipinski was 15, and already had a World title under her belt. Her tech content wasn't great, but she did have amazing artistry. I would hardly consider Lipnitskaia or Pogorilaya the best in Russia, though I can see the argument being made for Tukt and Sotnikova. So, yeah--in this case, age does matter.

ETA: Also, for what it's worth, Leonova's world ranking (4th) is a good amount ahead of Lipnitskaia's (13th). It's ridiculous to assume that one season on the senior circuit would prepare any skater for the Olympic Games, especially when they're being held on home ice.

The younger Russian skaters have competed at the international level for a while now. They are very well prepared as it is.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The problem with Leonova is that she achieved her good results with easier competition, and started struggling right at the time that the competition heated up.

ForeverFish, do you think the Russian Fed would send Leonova to the Olympics if they only got two slots from Worlds?

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Whether a skater has skated at a major international competition is irrelevant. When Mirai Nagasu finished 4th at the 2010 Olympics, she only had two senior grand prix, and the results were far less impressive than Lipninskaya's grand prix events.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
I don't see any problem with sending Lipnitskaya or Pogorilaya to the Olympics. What's the point to send Leonova even with all her experience and Worlds silver medal when she doesn't land her jumps? Of course Alena has a chance to make the team next year, but I'd say she has to be close to perfect at most competitions. But to be honest, Julia was a better skater than her for a while now, and the only reason why she didn't go to Worlds is her age. And she still has all the opportunities to gain more experience before the Olympics, there will be senior Grand Prix events, senior B events and Europeans. And maybe even World Team Trophy this season, if Liza or Adelina wouldn't want to go (IMO, it's possible that Mishin may want Liza to skip this competition, especially if she will do well at Worlds), it would be a smart move to send Julia there

Krislite

Medalist
It'll be interesting to see how Yuna is scored in the SP. She's going earlier than she's ever done, but the judges know who she is and she has had amazing practices. So if any of the judges were in attendance during the practice sessions, she's probably left them with a good impression.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Kovtun has to be some kind of learning experience for something. Don't send someone out with 3 senior competitions to worlds. Or maybe that only applies to men because their ladies is so much stronger. But you don't really know. Kovtun was jrgpf champion over several jr world medalists and then he goes to worlds and 19th in the sp.

It'll be interesting to see how Yuna is scored in the SP. She's going earlier than she's ever done, but the judges know who she is and she has had amazing practices. So if any of the judges were in attendance during the practice sessions, she's probably left them with a good impression.

Remember that she was among the first group in 2007 worlds and she did just fine.