2013 Worlds Ladies SP | Page 55 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies SP

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm hoping Carolina puts down a clean free because as far as I'm concerned she hasn't earned the position she's in now. It would be a travesty if she skated like at Euros and was still held up on PCS over another clean skate from Murakami or Osmond. It's a shame because she's a lovely skater, and getting held up isn't her fault, but I just wish she'd actually skate well and score big so we wouldn't have to justify her placements.

I'm hoping the judging panel for the FS gets a stiff talking to, because you can bet everyone is up in arms about Kostner. Let's face it. A fall in the SP should immediately put you out of podium position if there are several other clean skates, not second.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Maybe it's:

A fall = risk at attempting a jump.

Pop = no risk at attempting a jump.

I can respect this and to a degree understand it but I have to wonder how many people will then just try a jump they know they will more often than not fall on only to get a "higher" score than if they just popped it.

And under the wildly variant and forever rule-changing scoring system, a case can be made for ANYTHING!

No it can't because only the current rules apply. Past ones are irrelevant.

Yes Carolina is a fine skater, but she didn't stand up under pressure. Caro was scored individually in a way that other skaters without the rep and political backing are not scored for their good qualities, but are dumped on heavily for making one mistake.

That applies to all skaters though and not just Kostner.

Ya know, Osmond is a really good skater, but she doesn't have to pay any dues at all. First year in seniors and she's flying high because she delivered with good tech and cutesy-cute posing. "I'm skating in Canada, home-country, look at me peeps."

Whether it's her first or tenth year is completely irrelevant. What is relevant is what she has actually delivered on the day. And it wasn't 'cutesy-cute poising'. Her movements were well extended and delivered with attack and charisma. And most importantly they reflected the character of the music. Even if the music was off, you'd immediately know she was skating to Latin music because that's what she moved like. Choreography and transitions were complex. The whole package was there.

The only thing I can find to fault about that program is her posture (she has the turtle thing going on).

To those to criticize Mao's 3A got +GOE. I think that's wrong, but not totally out of line in this event
Some judges gave Adelina +GOE for her UR and double footed combo.
Same with Gracie

Yes. Nobody is criticising Asada but rather the clueless judges.

EXACTLY what is wrong with the judging. I'm not sure if I would say a popped jump is better than a fall but a fall should NOT be better than a pop.

It should. A pop = no jump. A fall = jump where everything worked other than the landing.

It's the rotation part that is the hardest in jumping.

I've j done a single flip just now on the floor. I won't do a double flip though. Or a triple. Because I don't have the technical ability required to do it.

What don't you get? She made one mistake, but everything else was first rated. Her PCS alone should beat both of these girls. She was gaining points on all other elements. There are 7 of them, btw.

This is what's so frustrating. Just because a skater falls, people suddenly stop noticing everything else.

And why is a fall worse than many other mistakes? What's so special about falls?

Looking at Yuna's program, I do think she was a bit underscored. I didn't think she was that tense at all. The spins weren't the best, but I thought she did a good job interpreting the music.

I'd say she should had had 70-71ish, even with the edge call.

That's probably because of skating so early.

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
Mao popped the jump of steps which is required to be a triple. She received almost 0 points for that element because it received all -3 for a single. Carolina received -2 and -3 for a triple so of course she is going to receive more points. Its simple

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I can respect this and to a degree understand it but I have to wonder how many people will then just try a jump they know they will more often than not fall on only to get a "higher" score than if they just popped it.

At the same time, a bad, bad fall can spell injury, so if a skater knows that their position in the air or something to that effect isn't good at all, I think popping the jump is just a better course of action.

katia

On the Ice
I think alot of you complaining about some of the scores like Kostner supposably being too high, Osmond too low, etc...are forgetting skate order makes a big difference in the scores. It also doesnt mean the judges are wrong either, it is human nature to consider there are skaters left and you dont know what they will do.

I think Wagner or Osmond have a good shot at the bronze. No way Murakami stays in 3rd, she was never a good LP skater. Mao will still probably get 3rd if she skates even decent though.
Frankly I would be happy if Osmond will be in the first 10, overall. I will be ecstatic if she will be in the first 5 or higher. I also hope Wagner will be high. But Mao has great free program , and the Russians may skate clean,. So it is not that everything is already fixed and done.

Kissx3

Final Flight
She got above 70 twice this season in the SP.

Thanks, I had read otherwise. Not too far off from where she should be, then, all things considered.

I hate that falls are considered to be such a minor error under this system, personally. Skaters should be buried for a fall.

yuki

Final Flight
Thanks, I had read otherwise. Not too far off from where she should be, then, all things considered.

I hate that falls are considered to be such a minor error under this system, personally. Skaters should be buried for a fall.

Agreed. Sometimes it seems that if you have the full rotation, it doesn't matter that much if you actually land the jump or not.

Kinga

Medalist
Osmond should have been third. Very good choreography delivered with a lot of attack and confidence and huge powerful jumps.

If so, it should be in expense of someone. Who? Definitely not Kanako. I can only see Kostner making place for Osmond's 3rd place in the SP ;)

Art&Sport

Medalist
No it can't because only the current rules apply. Past ones are irrelevant.

That applies to all skaters though and not just Kostner.

Whether it's her first or tenth year is completely irrelevant. What is relevant is what she has actually delivered on the day. And it wasn't 'cutesy-cute poising'. Her movements were well extended and delivered with attack and charisma. And most importantly they reflected the character of the music. Even if the music was off, you'd immediately know she was skating to Latin music because that's what she moved like. Choreography and transitions were complex. The whole package was there.

The only thing I can find to fault about that program is her posture (she has the turtle thing going on).

Yes. Nobody is criticising Asada but rather the clueless judges.

It should. A pop = no jump. A fall = jump where everything worked other than the landing.

It's the rotation part that is the hardest in jumping.

I've j done a single flip just now on the floor. I won't do a double flip though. Or a triple. Because I don't have the technical ability required to do it.

This is what's so frustrating. Just because a skater falls, people suddenly stop noticing everything else.

And why is a fall worse than many other mistakes? What's so special about falls?

That's probably because of skating so early.

In Your Opinion, Ziggy. My opinion is different. Who are you?? Cinquanta!!!? Just because you say so, don't mean everything you say is written in stone.

I'm personally fed up with skaters around the World training in the U.S. and gaining an edge, while our equally good skaters get dissed right and left from the way the system is structured, from their own federation, from partisan politics and from ISU judges.

That's no way for a patriotic American to talk! "Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free... I lift my lamp beside the golden door." ;)

If so, it should be in expense of someone. Who? Definitely not Kanako. I can only see Kostner making place for Osmond's 3rd place in the SP ;)

She should have beaten Murakami. Better choreography, more transitions, much much better jumps.

Kostner is in a completely different league.

In Your Opinion, Ziggy. My opinion is different. Who are you?? Cinquanta!!!? Just because you say so, don't mean everything you say is written in stone.

The problem is, whilst you keep complaining about the results, I haven't seen you yet make a single argument or give a single reason for why a particular skater was under or overmarked.

katia

On the Ice
That's no way for a patriotic American to talk! "Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free... I lift my lamp beside the golden door." ;)
True. But the thing is that this "poor, tired and so on" should STAY and WORK for the country it gave them place. What they do is to use that country and do not feel the respect for the country which received them.