2013 Worlds Ladies SP | Page 56 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies SP

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Agreed. Sometimes it seems that if you have the full rotation, it doesn't matter that much if you actually land the jump or not.

As a comparison, Caro got 6.5 for her 3/3 (excluding the -1 for a fall), Sotnikova also got 6.5, and Akiko got 5.6. The latter two UR the 2nd jump and Carolina fell. Factoring in the fall penalty, Carolina actually did score the lowest of the three so it's not entirely accurate that a fall is not as bad as an UR.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Re: Falls vs Rotation/Pops
@Ziggy "And why is a fall worse than many other mistakes? What's so special about falls?"

For almost the entire history of the sport, if I am not mistaken, falls WERE more heavily penalized than under-rotations and popped jumps. How many skaters had their Olympic dreams crushed because they fell in the short? And now skating fans are told, no no no, a fall isn't nearly as bad as you think it is.

Whether or not that is the actual case, skating is now asking all of its fans, casual to obsessed, to change how they think about a major part of the sport. Holy Cognitive Dissonance Batman! And I think it's human nature to think staying on your feet (particularly when your "feet" consist of razor-thin blades) is "harder" than spinning in the air, probably because of the greater chance of injury with a fall as compared to an under-rotation or a pop.

YMMV of course. That's just how I sees it.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
These ladies, except Yuna, are very unpredictable - everything can change in the free...Mao can be super-duper or bomb

true, very true. LP's will be interesting....hope we get to see at least the last 2 groups if not last 3 in the US...though I'm not holding my breath.

yuki

Final Flight
These ladies, except Yuna, are very unpredictable - everything can change in the free...Mao can be super-duper or bomb

Here's hoping for super-duper :biggrin:. But I'm worried about her after today - I really hope she didn't peak at 4CC.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Yuna KIM (KOR) - 69.97 Short Program, 2nd Copy
2. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA) - 66.86 Short Program
3. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 66.64 Short Program
4. Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN) - 64.73 Short Program
5. Ashley WAGNER (USA) - 63.98
6. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 62.10 Short Program
7. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 61.17 Short Program
8. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 59.62 Short Program
9. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 58.85
10. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 58.36
11. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 56.90
12. Zijun LI (CHN) - 56.31
13. Alena LEONOVA (RUS) - 56.30
14. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 54.72 Short Program
15. Elena GLEBOVA (EST) - 54.59
16. Sonia LAFUENTE (ESP) - 52.44
17. Natalia POPOVA (UKR) - 51.67
18. Jenna MCCORKELL (GBR) - 51.23
19. Monika SIMANCIKOVA (SVK) - 51.18
20. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 50.62 Short Program
21. Valentina MARCHEI (ITA) - 50.41 Short Program
22. Kerstin FRANK (AUT) - 49.66
23. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 48.80 Short Program
24. Nathalie WEINZIERL (GER) - 48.14
25. Isadora WILLIAMS (BRA) - 46.63 Short Program
26. Anita MADSEN (DEN) - 46.16 Short Program
27. Carol BRESSANUTTI (ITA) - 44.51 Short Program
28. Kaat VAN DAELE (BEL) - 42.51
29. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) - 42.40
30. Tina STUERZINGER (SUI) - 42.36 Short Program
31. Juulia TURKKILA (FIN) - 40.70 Short Program
32. Anne Line GJERSEM (NOR) - 38.53 Short Program
33. Inga JANULEVICIUTE (LTU) - 36.79 Short Program
34. Patricia GLESCIC (SLO) - 36.66 Short Program
35. Alina FJODOROVA (LAT) - 36.44 Short Program

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Yuna KIM (KOR) - 69.97 Short Program, 2nd Copy
2. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA) - 66.86 Short Program
3. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 66.64 Short Program
4. Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN) - 64.73 Short Program
5. Ashley WAGNER (USA) - 63.98
6. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 62.10 Short Program
7. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 61.17 Short Program
8. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 59.62 Short Program
9. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 58.85
10. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 58.36
11. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 56.90
12. Zijun LI (CHN) - 56.31
13. Alena LEONOVA (RUS) - 56.30
14. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 54.72 Short Program
15. Elena GLEBOVA (EST) - 54.59
16. Sonia LAFUENTE (ESP) - 52.44
17. Natalia POPOVA (UKR) - 51.67
18. Jenna MCCORKELL (GBR) - 51.23
19. Monika SIMANCIKOVA (SVK) - 51.18
20. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 50.62 Short Program
21. Valentina MARCHEI (ITA) - 50.41 Short Program
22. Kerstin FRANK (AUT) - 49.66
23. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 48.80 Short Program
24. Nathalie WEINZIERL (GER) - 48.14
25. Isadora WILLIAMS (BRA) - 46.63 Short Program
26. Anita MADSEN (DEN) - 46.16 Short Program
27. Carol BRESSANUTTI (ITA) - 44.51 Short Program
28. Kaat VAN DAELE (BEL) - 42.51
29. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) - 42.40
30. Tina STUERZINGER (SUI) - 42.36 Short Program
31. Juulia TURKKILA (FIN) - 40.70 Short Program
32. Anne Line GJERSEM (NOR) - 38.53 Short Program
33. Inga JANULEVICIUTE (LTU) - 36.79 Short Program
34. Patricia GLESCIC (SLO) - 36.66 Short Program
35. Alina FJODOROVA (LAT) - 36.44 Short Program

Many thanks Mao88!

dwiggin3

Final Flight
@Ziggy "And why is a fall worse than many other mistakes? What's so special about falls?"

For almost the entire history of the sport, if I am not mistaken, falls WERE more heavily penalized than under-rotations and popped jumps. How many skaters had their Olympic dreams crushed because they fell in the short? And now skating fans are told, no no no, a fall isn't nearly as bad as you think it is.

Whether or not that is the actual case, skating is now asking all of its fans, casual to obsessed, to change how they think about a major part of the sport. Holy Cognitive Dissonance Batman! And I think it's human nature to think staying on your feet (particularly when your "feet" consist of razor-thin blades) is "harder" than spinning in the air, probably because of the greater chance of injury with a fall as compared to an under-rotation or a pop.

Excellent assessment.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
In general, I'm happy with the results, compared to others competitions before, this event has the most fair judge score.

The ur and «e», are well mark and no-one have been underscore or overscore. (except I find Kostner overscore and Yu-Na underscore, other than that it's great to see that the sport is going in the right direction and the crowd will much appreciate that) :)

Art&Sport

Medalist
That's no way for a patriotic American to talk! "Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free... I lift my lamp beside the golden door." ;)

Yeah, true true Mathman. But definitely people from around the World come to the United States, gain lots of advantages, not just in figure skating and then take what they've gained back to their countries and prosper. There is an imbalance in the universe. Lots of goings-on that just aren't in harmony. I think I'll have to take some deep breaths and just not care anymore about figure skating.

What's happening in figure skating breaks my heart because I just don't see the judging as judging every skater by equal rules. You can't get away from the subjectivity. The scoring system is simply uneven and too peicemeal and too heavily slanted toward points-grabbing which undermines the artistic/ performance side, and the politics stink to high heaven and always have -- that part is nothing new. In fact, the grousing and debating is nothing new either. It's just that the athlete talent pool and depth is so much greater, and the sport itself has not evolved to accommodate the changing dynamics of athlete depth.

IMHO, there should be more opportunities available for skaters to medal in different categories, and there should be a more structured and meaningful senior B circuit for young skaters to further develop. A senior A division should only be for skaters with well-rounded talent and experience, and it should be based on talent alone and not country affiliation. Get the politics out of it as much as possible.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
In general, I'm happy with the results, compared to others competitions before, this event has the most fair judge score.

The ur and «e», are well mark and no-one have been underscore or overscore. (except I find Kostner overscore and Yu-Na underscore, other than that it's great to see that the sport is going in the right direction and the crowd will much appreciate that) :)

Even with my own complaining, in the end, I would agree with you.

shine

Record Breaker
In Your Opinion, Ziggy. My opinion is different. Who are you?? Cinquanta!!!? Just because you say so, don't mean everything you say is written in stone.
You can have your opinions, but reducing Osmond's program to merely "cutesy cute posing" just shows how clueless the opinion is and how blind you are to the technical difficulty that the program had.

parma

On the Ice
I am confused. Can someone explain the rules about two-footing a jump? Would a two-footing earn the skater zero point for the jump?

mskater93

Record Breaker
Osmond will have to be CLEAN to get the bronze and that hasn't really happened this season other than at Challenge (even Canadian Nationals). I predict it is more likely going to either Wagner (assuming she doesn't miss that 3Lo+2A+SEQ and gets her L4 spins under control) or one of the three Japanese Ladies since Osmond has had some issues in the LP and doesn't have as big a cushion over Wagner, Asada, and Suzuki as she did over Suzuki at SCI.

Anyone notice that Gracie's in the exact same spot after SP that she was at US Nationals (only a couple points higher this time)? Hopefully she's not happy with the fact that she skated OK-ish only and comes out blazing with another technical clinic. :)

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
You can have your opinions, but reducing Osmond's program to merely "cutesy cute posing" just shows how clueless the opinion is and how blind you are to the technical difficulty that the program had.

agree.and all this Kaetlyn's bashing is :disagree: there are many comments about inflation, undeserved score or whatever...Her mark is fine! They held her,in my opinion

Art&Sport

Medalist
She should have beaten Murakami. Better choreography, more transitions, much much better jumps.

Kostner is in a completely different league.

The problem is, whilst you keep complaining about the results, I haven't seen you yet make a single argument or give a single reason for why a particular skater was under or overmarked.

Ya know Ziggy, go on wit yo bad self. You and your CoP generation make enuf of the arguments for and against by obsessing over the protocols. I rely on my eyes, my knowledge and my years of watching this sport. I see no reason to overdo protocol analysis, because many of the marks make no sense. But obviously, any score can be justified for any and every reason.

Mao88

Record Breaker
What is it about 6th place and world championships for Mao Asada? She has finished 6th for the last 2 seasons at Worlds, and she is now in 6th after the SP. Disappointing performance in the short program for her, but she is not completely out of it. She will need to perform a lot better in the LP though, to medal.

Its Kim's title to lose, but Kostner is still in with a shout of retaining her title. However, like Mao, she will need to produce a much better FS if she is to win.

A lot of big names made a lot of mistakes today, so here's hoping we see a better LP.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I am confused. Can someone explain the rules about two-footing a jump? Would a two-footing earn the skater zero point for the jump?
Nothing other than not rotating at all earns zero points for a jump. A 2 foot is OFTEN (not always) indicative of another issue (or two or three) on a jump and one that is two footed is USUALLY (not always) < or <<. A 2 footed landing is supposed to reduce the GOE of the jump by 1-2 points. It also depends on the severity of the 2 foot= if it's directly on the landing or if it's incidental or at the very end of the landing.

Kissx3

Final Flight

Yeah, that's probably the main reason I wish falls were still treated as "the ultimate sin". It destroys decades put into branding the sport and creates a large unnecessary gulf that casual spectators most likely won't be bothered to cross. This is such a visual sport, the most obvious errors should carry the heaviest penalties.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Osmond will have to be CLEAN to get the bronze and that hasn't really happened this season other than at Challenge (even Canadian Nationals). I predict it is more likely going to either Wagner (assuming she doesn't miss that 3Lo+2A+SEQ and gets her L4 spins under control) or one of the three Japanese Ladies since Osmond has had some issues in the LP and doesn't have as big a cushion over Wagner, Asada, and Suzuki as she did over Suzuki at SCI.

Anyone notice that Gracie's in the exact same spot after SP that she was at US Nationals (only a couple points higher this time)? Hopefully she's not happy with the fact that she skated OK-ish only and comes out blazing with another technical clinic. :)

I think Gracie will be more relaxed tomorrow (hopefully not too much so) given that she did OK-ish. But yes at the same time be hungry for a stronger program technically.