2013 Worlds Ladies SP | Page 57 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies SP

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Yuna KIM (KOR) - 69.97 Short Program, 2nd Copy
2. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA) - 66.86 Short Program
3. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 66.64 Short Program
4. Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN) - 64.73 Short Program
5. Ashley WAGNER (USA) - 63.98
6. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 62.10 Short Program
7. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 61.17 Short Program
8. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 59.62 Short Program
9. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 58.85
10. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 58.36 Short Program
11. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 56.90
12. Zijun LI (CHN) - 56.31
13. Alena LEONOVA (RUS) - 56.30
14. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 54.72 Short Program
15. Elena GLEBOVA (EST) - 54.59
16. Sonia LAFUENTE (ESP) - 52.44
17. Natalia POPOVA (UKR) - 51.67
18. Jenna MCCORKELL (GBR) - 51.23
19. Monika SIMANCIKOVA (SVK) - 51.18
20. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 50.62 Short Program
21. Valentina MARCHEI (ITA) - 50.41 Short Program
22. Kerstin FRANK (AUT) - 49.66
23. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 48.80 Short Program
24. Nathalie WEINZIERL (GER) - 48.14
25. Isadora WILLIAMS (BRA) - 46.63 Short Program
26. Anita MADSEN (DEN) - 46.16 Short Program
27. Carol BRESSANUTTI (ITA) - 44.51 Short Program
28. Kaat VAN DAELE (BEL) - 42.51
29. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) - 42.40
30. Tina STUERZINGER (SUI) - 42.36 Short Program
31. Juulia TURKKILA (FIN) - 40.70 Short Program
32. Anne Line GJERSEM (NOR) - 38.53 Short Program
33. Inga JANULEVICIUTE (LTU) - 36.79 Short Program
34. Patricia GLESCIC (SLO) - 36.66 Short Program
35. Alina FJODOROVA (LAT) - 36.44 Short Program

Art&Sport

Medalist
You can have your opinions, but reducing Osmond's program to merely "cutesy cute posing" just shows how clueless the opinion is and how blind you are to the technical difficulty that the program had.

Yep, KO skated great in home country, but right now she's a bit over-rated (especially in terms of PCS) and she hasn't paid any dues at all, because she's Canadian lady with loads of great talent after huge drought in ladies division for Canada of many many years. Plain and simple.

For almost the entire history of the sport, if I am not mistaken, falls WERE more heavily penalized than under-rotations and popped jumps. How many skaters had their Olympic dreams crushed because they fell in the short? And now skating fans are told, no no no, a fall isn't nearly as bad as you think it is.

Whether or not that is the actual case, skating is now asking all of its fans, casual to obsessed, to change how they think about a major part of the sport. Holy Cognitive Dissonance Batman! And I think it's human nature to think staying on your feet (particularly when your "feet" consist of razor-thin blades) is "harder" than spinning in the air, probably because of the greater chance of injury with a fall as compared to an under-rotation or a pop.

YMMV of course. That's just how I sees it.

I totally understand where you're coming from and I understand how people can feel this way.

But when you actually think of it, it's really arbitrary. There are many other mistakes that skaters make. More and less serious. Why should we single out falls and pay so much attention to them?

If a skater attempts an element but falls, at least they have made the effort. At least they went for it.

I'd rather see falls than things like cheats which expose the fact that a skater didn't learn proper technique.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It is undeniable that her second 3T was under-rotated. Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5suwKlI9ZB4 See 4:54, if that isn't an under-rotated jump, I don't know what is... her under-rotated foot practically gets wedged in the ice as her other foot double-foots at 4:54 when she lands. A double-foot, UR, and fall... and getting mainly -2's. :confused:

3T-3T<(fall), 3L, 2A = a 2nd place SP, with 67 points... :bang:

shine

Record Breaker
Yep, KO skated great in home country, but right now she's a bit over-rated (especially in terms of PCS) and she hasn't paid any dues at all, because she's Canadian lady with loads of great talent after huge drought in ladies division for Canada of many many years. Plain and simple.
What is this crap about paying dues? Is that part of PCS or TES?

BTW, WHICH exact portion of her PCS do you think is overrated? And relative to whom? Stop making vague accusational comments that you cannot back up with anything.

Fruit Loops

On the Ice

I agree. Isn't "paying dues" to score well just as bad as politiking? If skaters are to be judged by what happens on the ice then it's theoretically possible for a newcomer to burst onto the scene out of nowhere.

Anyways, I missed out on the last 2 flights but plan to catch up on them when it airs on TV tonight. Should be interesting based on the comments here. :popcorn:

yuki

Final Flight
As a comparison, Caro got 6.5 for her 3/3 (excluding the -1 for a fall), Sotnikova also got 6.5, and Akiko got 5.6. The latter two UR the 2nd jump and Carolina fell. Factoring in the fall penalty, Carolina actually did score the lowest of the three so it's not entirely accurate that a fall is not as bad as an UR.

It depends on whether you believe that a fall and an underrotation are comparable mistakes. I consider a fall to be worse because it means completely missing 1/3 of the jump. For all the effort that the ISU put in their crusade against underrotations, the sport would have been better served if they adjusted the penalties for falls instead, at the very least in the SP.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I totally understand where you're coming from and I understand how people can feel this way.

But when you actually think of it, it's really arbitrary. There are many other mistakes that skaters make. More and less serious. Why should we single out falls and pay so much attention to them?

If a skater attempts an element but falls, at least they have made the effort. At least they went for it.

I'd rather see falls than things like cheats which expose the fact that a skater didn't learn proper technique.

Well I've already answered it, but I'll amplify what I said. A fall LOOKS LIKE it has more consequences than an under-rotation, a cheat, and/or a pop. For one thing, it hurts (or at least looks like it does!). And I think people have an involuntary, visceral reaction to that. It also more completely interrupts the flow of a program -- it is far more "noticeable." Because it "looks like" a bigger mistake, people think it should have worse penalties. And that may be "arbitrary"--but to casual fans it doesn't look that way at all. And most fans of figure skating are indeed more on the casual end of the spectrum than us passionate, board-arguing fans here. :)

ETA: I can see your point about "well at least if they rotated it, they tried," etc. And in fact it wouldn't surprise me if the Powers That Be changed the rules to encourage skaters to do more difficult jumps. The popularity of the sport is, on the whole, declining (while more extreme winter sports are gaining popularity every year). And what's the most "spectacular" part of skating? The jumps of course. Hence, we are in another period where jumping is privileged above everything else (how else do you explain a Kevin Reynolds?). But it may be a deal with the devil. Time will tell.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
In the old day, you don't see pop much because a pop is equally deadly. You pop, that means you didn't even do the element. You fall, they will subtract .5 or whatever. So you can end up with 5.4 on the TES.
If you pop, I doubt you can hit 5.0 on the TES.

Anyway, going into the free, I think Caro should just stop doing the 3F-3T. Concentrate on skating a clean 6 triples program. She's done it this season. She should be able to do it again.

Kim, I'm a bit worried. The call on her flip will get her thinking too much about the jump. I suspect she might pop/fall on the flip in the LP, especially if Kostner goes clean or does well.

I think the title is still Kim's to lose. Kostner most likely will get the silver. The way she's skating her LP, she will get high 120. Kanako and Kaetlyn will not be able to overtake her score. Ashley will have to be spotless, and have to count on Kostner popping at least 2 jumps. Then, it would still be very close as she's 3 points behind.

Mao can move up, but she can't overtake Kostner at this point.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Yuna KIM (KOR) - 69.97 Short Program, 2nd Copy
2. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA) - 66.86 Short Program
3. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 66.64 Short Program
4. Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN) - 64.73 Short Program
5. Ashley WAGNER (USA) - 63.98
6. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 62.10 Short Program
7. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 61.17 Short Program
8. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 59.62 Short Program
9. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 58.85
10. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 58.36 Short Program
11. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 56.90
12. Zijun LI (CHN) - 56.31 Short Program
13. Alena LEONOVA (RUS) - 56.30
14. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 54.72 Short Program
15. Elena GLEBOVA (EST) - 54.59
16. Sonia LAFUENTE (ESP) - 52.44
17. Natalia POPOVA (UKR) - 51.67
18. Jenna MCCORKELL (GBR) - 51.23
19. Monika SIMANCIKOVA (SVK) - 51.18
20. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 50.62 Short Program
21. Valentina MARCHEI (ITA) - 50.41 Short Program
22. Kerstin FRANK (AUT) - 49.66
23. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 48.80 Short Program
24. Nathalie WEINZIERL (GER) - 48.14
25. Isadora WILLIAMS (BRA) - 46.63 Short Program
26. Anita MADSEN (DEN) - 46.16 Short Program
27. Carol BRESSANUTTI (ITA) - 44.51 Short Program
28. Kaat VAN DAELE (BEL) - 42.51
29. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) - 42.40
30. Tina STUERZINGER (SUI) - 42.36 Short Program
31. Juulia TURKKILA (FIN) - 40.70 Short Program
32. Anne Line GJERSEM (NOR) - 38.53 Short Program
33. Inga JANULEVICIUTE (LTU) - 36.79 Short Program
34. Patricia GLESCIC (SLO) - 36.66 Short Program
35. Alina FJODOROVA (LAT) - 36.44 Short Program

venlac

On the Ice
"terribly undermarked, She did 10 points better than that, it's ridiculous" from Eurosport UK.
about yuna kim..

Colanboy

Rinkside
Anyway, going into the free, I think Caro should just stop doing the 3F-3T. Concentrate on skating a clean 6 triples program. She's done it this season. She should be able to do it again.

I've been wondering why Carolina doesn't just do the 2A-3T, like she's done (very well, in fact) for the past two seasons.

Art&Sport

Medalist

BTW, WHICH exact portion of her PCS do you think is overrated? And relative to whom? Stop making vague accusational comments that you cannot back up with anything.

Lots of people's subjective and opinionated comments are made here without being backed up with anything. Fact: Osmond is a great skater and she skated very good in the sp. Fact: I never said anything about Osmond's score, just that politically skating in Canada after a long Canadian ladies talent drought (Joannie notwithstanding), KO's gotten a lot of hype and cred that has raised her profile and stature in the eyes of the judges, which is unusual for a skater just out of juniors.

All power to Osmond because she has a pretty cool demeanor. She's obviously gonna go places combined with her talent and her cool head for competition. Yet and still, since she's Canadian skating in Canada, she's also going to be heavily supported and boosted her first time out of the blocks. If Worlds was taking place in Japan right now, believe you me, some of these results would be different. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

lavender

Record Breaker
Wow if Carolina had not fallen she would be in the 70 range over Yu na. Yu na use to get the highest pcs but now it's Carolina. I'm excited to see what happens between these 2.

I think it's more Carolina's title to lose especially if she skates that Bolero program up to it's potential. I love Yu na and Mao but if Carolina I think she wins...imo. I'm just hoping all 3 are on the podium although I wouldn’t mind seeing Akiko and Adelina up there in the mix.

I'm sooo glad I'm not as emotional over the ladies like I use to be. Like someone mentioned... things or people being cray, cray...lol:laugh:

Kinga

Medalist
It is undeniable that her second 3T was under-rotated. Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5suwKlI9ZB4 See 4:54, if that isn't an under-rotated jump, I don't know what is... her under-rotated foot practically gets wedged in the ice as her other foot double-foots at 4:54 when she lands. A double-foot, UR, and fall... and getting mainly -2's. :confused:

3T-3T<(fall), 3L, 2A = a 2nd place SP, with 67 points... :bang:

I also thought that her 3T was clearly URed. Oh well...

YunaBliss

On the Ice
"terribly undermarked, She did 10 points better than that, it's ridiculous" from Eurosport UK.
about yuna kim..

Well, I don't know about 10 points... that would have shattered her world record!

I really sense big things from Gracie tomorrow -- I think she will be free and show what she is capable of (a-la US Nationals).

yuki

Final Flight
about yuna kim..

While I agree that Yuna was slightly undermarked, a score 10 points higher would have surpassed her Olympics SP, where her TES was almost 8 points higher that today. I'm guessing the UK Eurosport guys were going for hyperbole with that.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Well Yu Na skated a bit earlier. Like I said people need to accept that skaters position will affect their scores, and that you cant even accurately blame judges for that.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I don't know about 10 points... that would have shattered her world record!

I really sense big things from Gracie tomorrow -- I think she will be free and show what she is capable of (a-la US Nationals).

Gracie just needs to look at the LP as she would her practices. There is no reason not to be able to land those jumps. She has as good a technique as anyone here and should not be botching them like she has this season. Hopefully she will forget about her placement and just skate.