2013 Worlds Ladies SP | Page 58 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies SP

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Lots of people's subjective and opinionated comments are made here without being backed up with anything. Fact: Osmond is a great skater and she skated very good in the sp. Fact: I never said anything about Osmond's score, just that politically skating in Canada after a long Canadian ladies talent drought (Joannie notwithstanding), KO's gotten a lot of hype and cred that has raised her profile and stature in the eyes of the judges, which is unusual for a skater just out of juniors.

All power to Osmond because she has a pretty cool demeanor. She's obviously gonna go places combined with her talent and her cool head for competition. Yet and still, since she's Canadian skating in Canada, she's also going to be heavily supported and boosted her first time out of the blocks. If Worlds was taking place in Japan right now, believe you me, some of these results would be different. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

By whom do you think she is being boosted exactly? Yes Canadians are happy to have a good skater, but the judges don't care about that. They are not going to give her good marks only because Canada hasn't had a good ladies skater in a while... I have no idea what you are talking about.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Well I've already answered it, but I'll amplify what I said. A fall LOOKS LIKE it has more consequences than an under-rotation, a cheat, and/or a pop. For one thing, it hurts (or at least looks like it does!). And I think people have an involuntary, visceral reaction to that. It also more completely interrupts the flow of a program -- it is far more "noticeable." Because it "looks like" a bigger mistake, people think it should have worse penalties. And that may be "arbitrary"--but to casual fans it doesn't look that way at all. And most fans of figure skating are indeed more on the casual end of the spectrum than us passionate, board-arguing fans here. :)

ETA: I can see your point about "well at least if they rotated it, they tried," etc. And in fact it wouldn't surprise me if the Powers That Be changed the rules to encourage skaters to do more difficult jumps. The popularity of the sport is, on the whole, declining (while more extreme winter sports are gaining popularity every year). And what's the most "spectacular" part of skating? The jumps of course. Hence, we are in another period where jumping is privileged above everything else (how else do you explain a Kevin Reynolds?). But it may be a deal with the devil. Time will tell.

ITA! Thanks WeakAnkles for your articulate and insightful assessments re the falls vs pops bust-up. Maybe you are a long-time watcher of figure skating, like me. ;)

Since the dawn of Sonjia Henie era, I think figure skating has been all about a deal with the devil. Lots of other factors coming into play now over the past few decades. I speculate that nothing much will change unless die-hard fans actively revolt. The sport will continue on bleeding its youth dry and giving nothing much to its fans unless and until someone with vision who has a figure skating background, and who is politically impartial takes the reins and implements well thought out changes to the entire structural system and regulations. That may never happen, and the sport may be content to continue limping along with the math-obsessed CoP generation of fans, and with the sport's impressionable young dreamers with damaged limbs bringing up the rear.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Yuna KIM (KOR) - 69.97 Short Program, 2nd Copy
2. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA) - 66.86 Short Program
3. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 66.64 Short Program
4. Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN) - 64.73 Short Program
5. Ashley WAGNER (USA) - 63.98 Short Program
6. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 62.10 Short Program
7. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 61.17 Short Program
8. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 59.62 Short Program
9. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 58.85
10. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 58.36 Short Program
11. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 56.90 Short Program
12. Zijun LI (CHN) - 56.31 Short Program
13. Alena LEONOVA (RUS) - 56.30
14. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 54.72 Short Program
15. Elena GLEBOVA (EST) - 54.59
16. Sonia LAFUENTE (ESP) - 52.44
17. Natalia POPOVA (UKR) - 51.67
18. Jenna MCCORKELL (GBR) - 51.23
19. Monika SIMANCIKOVA (SVK) - 51.18
20. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 50.62 Short Program
21. Valentina MARCHEI (ITA) - 50.41 Short Program
22. Kerstin FRANK (AUT) - 49.66
23. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 48.80 Short Program
24. Nathalie WEINZIERL (GER) - 48.14
25. Isadora WILLIAMS (BRA) - 46.63 Short Program
26. Anita MADSEN (DEN) - 46.16 Short Program
27. Carol BRESSANUTTI (ITA) - 44.51 Short Program
28. Kaat VAN DAELE (BEL) - 42.51
29. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) - 42.40
30. Tina STUERZINGER (SUI) - 42.36 Short Program
31. Juulia TURKKILA (FIN) - 40.70 Short Program
32. Anne Line GJERSEM (NOR) - 38.53 Short Program
33. Inga JANULEVICIUTE (LTU) - 36.79 Short Program
34. Patricia GLESCIC (SLO) - 36.66 Short Program
35. Alina FJODOROVA (LAT) - 36.44 Short Program

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Wow if Carolina had not fallen she would be in the 70 range over Yu na. Yu na use to get the highest pcs but now it's Carolina. I'm excited to see what happens between these 2.

I think it's more Carolina's title to lose especially if she skates that Bolero program up to it's potential. I love Yu na and Mao but if Carolina I think she wins...imo. I'm just hoping all 3 are on the podium although I wouldn’t mind seeing Akiko and Adelina up there in the mix.

I'm sooo glad I'm not as emotional over the ladies like I use to be. Like someone mentioned... things or people being cray, cray...lol:laugh:

If Yuna goes clean or near clean, I suspect her PCS will be significantly higher tomorrow. Even today, with the judges not knowing how high to mark Yuna up, Yuna and Caro's PCS were virtually even.

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
I think overall the ladies short was just such a surprise. Bit of a splatfest and some judging shockers too! Has made me even more excited for the long though..

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Saturday will be nail biting. Caro will need to skate clean. That's the only way to pressure the rest of them.
Yuna needs to ignore the flip call. Take an edge hit, don't second guess it.
Mao needs to be free. Just skate. Don't worry about placement. They will fall into place.
Akiko needs to have a skate of her life to make sure she's still Japan #2 (or #1 if Mao falters)
Kanako needs to avoid becoming a serial URer.
Kaetlyn needs to be clean to show people that she can do 2 clean programs back to back. Set herself up for 2014 and beyond.
Ashley needs to keep her place.
Gracie needs to move up and gain back 3 spots for the US.
As for the rest of them, they can do whatever they do as long as they don't spoil my wishlist above. :)

lavender

Record Breaker
If Yuna goes clean or near clean, I suspect her PCS will be significantly higher tomorrow. Even today, with the judges not knowing how high to mark Yuna up, Yuna and Caro's PCS were virtually even.

Hey I'm pretty neutral with the top skaters so I wouldn't mind that at all. I'm pretty much a fan of Mao, Yuna, Carolina, Akiko and Adelina.

Wait...I thought Yuna was clean and Carolina messed up??

flaneur

On the Ice
I think my two favourite performances today was Kim and Osmond. As for the possibility of Osmond winning bronze... that would be amazing for her, but honestly I would be happy/impressed if she just placed somewhere in the top five (or even the top ten). What's important is two Sochi spots :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I want to apologize to the posters about sometimes my"lashing out" hear. For some reason I feel some people who seem to pop up during the biggest skating competition of the year are just asking for trouble or trying to cause problems and get people upset. Why I am not sure. Anyways here are my comments and they are just my opinion.

Yuna deserved to be first no doubt she has the techical skill, great flow, carriage. Nice performance; not earth shaking but no one was. Carolina - yes she does have some amazing great quality however, she seems to be held up more than any skater than I know including Patrick Chan who like Carolina is a very quality oriented skater - though he is more consistent and he tries harder tricks and his skating skills are on truly another level whereas kostner is on par with say Yuna and Mao when she is on.

I thought Murakami and Osmond should have been ahead of Kostner today even giving Carolina points for quality. Osmond did what Mao wishes she could have done today that is skate clean and with ltos of energy and hve fun with the music. This is or was not high brow classical music or overly lyrical. it was pure fun and energy and Osmond attacked, she had confidence and she went for it; Mao didn't; she held back and made a huge mistake. Not sure what the protocolas are but I suppose there were some eduge calls and maye underrotation on the axel or... Russia just crashed and burned; they can say good bye to three ladies unless Adeline and probably Liza skate like no tomorrow. Carolina and Yuna will be 1-2 and the bronze is open; mao could stil win bronze with a great skate as Wagner and Osmond are beatable especially techically. Osmond is precarious in fourt hand hwwho knows what Murakami wil show up.

Hegelsen and Meite did awesome but they look to be hunted down by two hungry Russian ladies who had disastrous results in the short. GOld is nicely placed = looks good for US for three ladies depending on Mao, Katelyn and Murakami and Suzuki.

judges dont like zthat much; I don't think Russia is loking too good here. None of their ladies have shone. Kovutn has fallen to the pressure. The pairs are rather blah but could win gold and steal a bronze but it is doubtful. Probably one of the Canadians will do that. As usual, ice is so slippery.

goldenskate999

Spectator
After highly anticipated ladies short programs, here are my thoughts:
1. Yuna Kim needs to change her choreographer, is it just me or did anyone feel that her "Kiss of Vampire" was just too boring? Didn't really like the music either. As far as element goes, she looked good considering the fact that she was off the ice for 19 months. Slight undermark on pts was expected since she was going so early but less pressure on her so they even out imo. Without the deduction from her single triple-L (and if she nailed it, she would've received GOE) she would've easily made over 70. (Around 72 or so, can't complain really)
2. Mao Asada, again breaks down. How many times have we seen this? Again and again, I'm having doubts on Mao when it comes to big competition against big names. I would, for once, love to see her clean program but my expectations are low on this happening.
3. Carolina Kostner really seems like she's found her groove w/ artistry. Did she get lucky w/ her score today? Absolutely, a fall is a fall but sometimes you have to get lucky too. Good Job.

Wow, after all that, YuNa sits easily in first place. My goodness, that girl is amazing. From all the way back in the third group or so. I'm thrilled.

On the other hand, I'm also heartbroken for Mao. What a difficult outcome for her. But she can be a fierce long program skater, and she's come back from worse.

Ashley and Gracie...look where they are! I don't think I'll breathe from now to the end of the Long Program. I hope they don't pay attention to any possibilities for the outcome. They should just skate and take their moves one by one.

Poor Russia. This is so miserable to contemplate.

Art&Sport

Medalist
By whom do you think she is being boosted exactly? Yes Canadians are happy to have a good skater, but the judges don't care about that. They are not going to give her good marks only because Canada hasn't had a good ladies skater in a while... I have no idea what you are talking about.

How do you know that every single judge doesn't care at all? Politics is rampant in the sport. Obviously, KO has talent, and if she continues to prove that she's a cool competitor, she will be given the moon because judges love when skaters go out there and prove them right. Of course, they also love Patrick's SS regardless of how poorly he may perform on occasion.

And, Hint Hint: Sonjia Henie wins 10 straight World gold medals, not without controversy in some of those wins. In her first win she received first place ordinals from 3 of the 5 Norwegian judges, and in later years there were controversial wins at Worlds and Olympics for Henie. Artur Gachinski wins bronze at World championships in Moscow; Stefan Lindemann wins bronze at World championships in Germany; Evan Lysacek wins gold at World championships in Los Angeles. There are many other examples, of course.

Inflated medal win for Gachinski who skated okay, but not great enough to make the podium his first year in seniors. Stefan Lindemann was a good skater with great height on his jumps, but over-rated and over-achieving and lucky to be skating in his home country that year. Lysacek is a good to average skater with a great coach and fed behind him who over-achieved and got lucky during the non-quad requirement years. Too bad that Chan had foot-in-mouth disease at that 2009 World championships trying to put Baboo down. I've always felt Chan was the better skater at 2009 Worlds overall, but he just got too ahead of himself and was too full of himself with all the over-hype from up North.

You can't take the politics and the subjectivity out of figure skating. Too bad that the artistry and meaningful performance aspects are being taken out.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Yuna KIM (KOR) - 69.97 Short Program, 2nd Copy
2. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA) - 66.86 Short Program
3. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 66.64 Short Program
4. Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN) - 64.73 Short Program
5. Ashley WAGNER (USA) - 63.98 Short Program
6. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 62.10 Short Program
7. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 61.17 Short Program
8. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 59.62 Short Program
9. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 58.85
10. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 58.36 Short Program
11. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 56.90 Short Program
12. Zijun LI (CHN) - 56.31 Short Program
13. Alena LEONOVA (RUS) - 56.30 Short Program
14. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 54.72 Short Program
15. Elena GLEBOVA (EST) - 54.59
16. Sonia LAFUENTE (ESP) - 52.44
17. Natalia POPOVA (UKR) - 51.67
18. Jenna MCCORKELL (GBR) - 51.23
19. Monika SIMANCIKOVA (SVK) - 51.18
20. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 50.62 Short Program
21. Valentina MARCHEI (ITA) - 50.41 Short Program
22. Kerstin FRANK (AUT) - 49.66
23. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 48.80 Short Program
24. Nathalie WEINZIERL (GER) - 48.14
25. Isadora WILLIAMS (BRA) - 46.63 Short Program
26. Anita MADSEN (DEN) - 46.16 Short Program
27. Carol BRESSANUTTI (ITA) - 44.51 Short Program
28. Kaat VAN DAELE (BEL) - 42.51
29. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) - 42.40
30. Tina STUERZINGER (SUI) - 42.36 Short Program
31. Juulia TURKKILA (FIN) - 40.70 Short Program
32. Anne Line GJERSEM (NOR) - 38.53 Short Program
33. Inga JANULEVICIUTE (LTU) - 36.79 Short Program
34. Patricia GLESCIC (SLO) - 36.66 Short Program
35. Alina FJODOROVA (LAT) - 36.44 Short Program

garnetgem

Spectator
Tbh I was not impressed with all the ladies. I expected more from them :(. I'm impatiently waiting for FS now...

garnetgem

Spectator
After highly anticipated ladies short programs, here are my thoughts:
1. Yuna Kim needs to change her choreographer, is it just me or did anyone feel that her "Kiss of Vampire" was just too boring? Didn't really like the music either. As far as element goes, she looked good considering the fact that she was off the ice for 19 months. Slight undermark on pts was expected since she was going so early but less pressure on her so they even out imo. Without the deduction from her single triple-L (and if she nailed it, she would've received GOE) she would've easily made over 70. (Around 72 or so, can't complain really)
2. Mao Asada, again breaks down. How many times have we seen this? Again and again, I'm having doubts on Mao when it comes to big competition against big names. I would, for once, love to see her clean program but my expectations are low on this happening.
3. Carolina Kostner really seems like she's found her groove w/ artistry. Did she get lucky w/ her score today? Absolutely, a fall is a fall but sometimes you have to get lucky too. Good Job.

Uh... Mao is the one that singled her triple loop, not Yuna. Yuna landed all her jumps

daniel1406

Rinkside
okay...

I'm one of figure skating fans from Australia :) I had to get up at 4am to watch ladies sp :(

To be honest, I'm so disgusted about the judges.

I missed group 1 and 2.

But in group 3 and 4, there were some skaters (sorry I forgot their names) who deserved much higher score.

And what the hell is wrong with Kim's score? it's so underscored (considering other top skaters).

"e" on her flip? I looked perfectly fine. But if the tech judge were to give "e" her on flip, why didn't she give "e" on Osmond's ? Kim's 3F got -0.2 GOE.
I wonder if the tech judge was the one who was so strict only on Kim's 3F before. I'm pretty sure, it was the same judge.
[EDIT : I just watched Yuna's interview with my friend. Yuna says it was totally unexpected to get a wrong edge call on her 3F. she thought she totally missed the flying camel spin when she received her mark. She said her flip hasn't changed (she jumped the same 3F as she did in the olympics) therefore, she can't do anything about it.
Yuna looks so depressed in the video :( ].

Also, Murakami's TES is higher than Kim's? - since when 3T-3T, 3F and 2A scores higher than 3Lz-3T, 3F and 2A (In my opinion, even with "e" Yuna should've got a higher TES than Murakami's) -_-

In regards to Kim's PCS, Kostner's PCS is higher than hers - which doesn't really make sense to me at all.

Lastly, Mao's two foot landed 3A got +0.14 GOE? This is just ridiculous. I like Mao and I want to see beautiful 3As in her programs (btw I DO love her FS this year). But it was just wrong to get +GOE on that 3A in her sp.

Therefore, in my opinion, Yuna Kim's score should've been 73 - 74.

daniel1406

Rinkside
goldenskate999 said:
Without the deduction from her single triple-L (and if she nailed it, she would've received GOE) she would've easily made over 70. (Around 72 or so, can't complain really)
Uh... Mao is the one that singled her triple loop, not Yuna. Yuna landed all her jumps

yeah it would've made a lot more sense if Kim missed her 3Lz.... which she didn't btw.