2013 Worlds Ladies SP | Page 61 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies SP

bmelanie

On the Ice
Why is Kim's score too low? She's more than 3 points ahead of Kostner even though she had a clear mistake as well (took off from the wrong edge).

I would argue that the wrong edge was MUCH less noticeable than Kostner's fall - in fact, I doubt anyone other than the tech panel actually SAW the wrong edge and screamed WRONG EDGE and felt that it detracted from the general performance.

yuki

Final Flight
In that case, Yuna did another lutz, should her second lutz be invalidated? What is technical mistake? What should be penalized more severely compare to others?
Stop your nonsense. Pull out an abacus and tally up her score. I promise you they add up to 66.86.

COP doesn't consider a 3Fe the same thing as a 3Lz, so I don't really see your point.
FYI, I agree with Carolina's score and placement under the current rules - apart from the mistake on the combination jump, her elements were indeed high quality and were rewarded as such. I wasn't trying to single out Carolina in my posts - they were intended as general rants about the importance of falling in the SP, which I don't think that COP takes into account that well.

Stefan Lindemann was a good skater with great height on his jumps, but over-rated and over-achieving and lucky to be skating in his home country that year.

I am embarrassed to admit it, but that was the one time I was secretly glad that the judges were able to give out a smidge of home cooking. Lindemann helped the judges out by giving the skate of his life. :rock: OK, Stefan Lindemann is not Stephane Lambiel . ;) But yet and still I was i was happy for the lad.

berrycute

On the Ice
She comes from the country of the current ISU president.

While I totally agree with you on principle, the SP is supposed to be the technical program and technical mistakes ought to be penalized more severely.

Meh, he's a speed skater, I'm sure that's more his thing. Otherwise more italian skaters than just Kostner would be held up (esp. the ice dance team. They are fierce and yet they never place ahead of the top two Russian teams, who have the WORST programs I have seen in quite a while. Not quite Leonova Witches of Eastwick terrible but close. ).

And if you want a technical competition you should take away the programs too and have the skaters do the elements on the spot with the judges standing around, like school figures. Nobody would watch it, but maybe your favourite would win, so you know...totes worth it.

ranjake

Final Flight
I really love Carolina's skating- I'm a big fan. I've been so proud of her for this comeback- and I do think her skating is amazingly beautiful. I need to go back and watch her SP again. Maybe it seemed worse to me than it was because I'm just really not used to her making many mistakes anymore. I think it was almost her over-emoting than the one fall that made it seem disjointed to me. Anyway, I really enjoyed this SP, and I'm so glad i got to watch it.

Krislite

Medalist
Yuna going last in the LP is another interesting position. Now that the SP is done, I expect she will get a bigger PCS boost on Saturday if she goes relatively clean. I do feel that the SP was much more nerve-wracking for her than the LP will be, despite the skating order.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I would argue that the wrong edge was MUCH less noticeable than Kostner's fall - in fact, I doubt anyone other than the tech panel actually SAW the wrong edge and screamed WRONG EDGE and felt that it detracted from the general performance.

shouldn't the question be why was Kostner's score so high with a fall??? Even her Chanesque qualities don't make up that much! She has great speed and edges but not of the comparative and or relative vlaue of top men versus other men. Interesting - well the gold is open to her or Yuna.

David21

On the Ice

It doesn't matter if a mistake is "noticeable" or not. If the mistake is there, there should be an appropriate deduction. And I'd say that the technical panel is the most qualified authority for that. :)

yuki

Final Flight
Meh, he's a speed skater, I'm sure that's more his thing. Otherwise more italian skaters than just Kostner would be held up (esp. the ice dance team. They are fierce and yet they never place ahead of the top two Russian teams, who have the WORST programs I have seen in quite a while. Not quite Leonova Witches of Eastwick terrible but close. ).

I really don't care either way, I just found it amusing that someone would think that Carolina has no political clout whatsoever. I didn't imply that she was held up in this competition - that's your own conclusion.

And if you want a technical competition you should take away the programs too and have the skaters do the elements on the spot with the judges standing around, like school figures. Nobody would watch it, but maybe your favourite would win, so you know...totes worth it.

You don't know who my favourite skater is, but I can assure you that she would not benefit from stricter rules in the SP, given her tendency to pop/underrotate jumps. Nice attempt to paint me as an uber, though.

daniel1406

Rinkside
What is it we are supposed to get put of these pictures? Something about her left knee?

does that look like outside edge?

it was a slight inside edge.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6e7CWVgLI6td0MzRjRHZHBTYkU/view?pli=1&sle=true

I agree it may be hard to decide as we don't have enough videos of difference angles.
But the line going into that 3F was straight. the mark on the ice doesn't lie.

EDIT : oh and you have to click the picture.... otherwise, it's too small -_-

FlattFan

Match Penalty
COP doesn't consider a 3Fe the same thing as a 3Lz, so I don't really see your point.
FYI, I agree with Carolina's score and placement under the current rules - apart from the mistake on the combination jump, her elements were indeed high quality and were rewarded as such. I wasn't trying to single out Carolina in my posts - they were intended as general rants about the importance of falling in the SP, which I don't think that COP takes into account that well.

In that case, you need to rant on Saturday why COP allows skaters to win with incomplete set of triples. You also need to rant why COP allows any credit for jumps with wrong edge.

I'm not singling out Yuna here, but you can't pick and choose what's wrong with the system and apply it on Caro, when there are plenty wrongs with the system that benefit other skaters. Yes?