2013 Worlds Ladies SP | Page 62 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies SP

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I would argue that the wrong edge was MUCH less noticeable than Kostner's fall - in fact, I doubt anyone other than the tech panel actually SAW the wrong edge and screamed WRONG EDGE and felt that it detracted from the general performance.

I would argue that no one SAW Lance Armstrong taking steroid, and his taking it didn't detract from the general performance. So he should keep all of his medals? Yes?
No, that's not the point. The point is there was a mistake. If they use claps to score figure skating, then that's fine. If they use a technical panel to score figure skating, then the TES panel should produce evidence when inquired regarding certain calls.

yuki

Final Flight
In that case, you need to rant on Saturday why COP allows skaters to win with incomplete set of triples. You also need to rant why COP allows any credit for jumps with wrong edge.

I'm not singling out Yuna here, but you can't pick and choose what's wrong with the system and apply it on Caro, when there are plenty wrongs with the system that benefit other skaters. Yes?

Oh, wow. So I'm not allowed to express a simple opinion about a particular aspect of COP without also mentioning all that is wrong with the system? Why? Just because you assumed I'm referring to Carolina in particular? That's your problem, not mine.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
That's literally the first time I've seen Kristen Stewart with an expression! :eek: (Haven't seen Twilight properly, sorry...)

... You're not missing anything. There was a marathon on TV once and I watched the movies with my friends--I ended up yelling at the TV every five minutes because everyone was being so stupid.

rvi5

On the Ice
... if her performance was truly methodical, emotionless and uninspiring, why did she received a standing ovation from the crowd. Only Osmond and Kim received a standing ovation. The crowds are not fools. They see it and they feel it. and in fact, they are in a better position to judge (as they get to see the real performance) than most of us who watch the performance on TV or youtube....

Why standing ovations occur could have various reasons. Sometimes the audience truly likes the performance. Sometimes an ovation is expected no matter what happens. When little children perform a school play for parents, they always get a standing ovation regardless. Sometimes it depends on how many fans a person has in the audience. If enough diehard fans jump to their feet first, others nearby will do the same because they don't want to appear inconsiderate. It becomes like starting a "Wave".

In my high school days, we would be corralled in the cafeteria during lunch hour. Sometime a table of people would suddenly toss their garbage and stand. Others at nearby tables would do the same. Soon the entire cafeteria was on their feet. Teachers had to block the exits to prevent students from leaving until the remaining time expired. People can be like sheep sometimes. :lol:

I am not saying anyone does or does not deserve an ovation, just clarifying that it isn't necessarily as clear cut as you are implying.

wallylutz

Medalist
Yep, KO skated great in home country, but right now she's a bit over-rated (especially in terms of PCS) and she hasn't paid any dues at all, because she's Canadian lady with loads of great talent after huge drought in ladies division for Canada of many many years. Plain and simple.

LOL! You realized a Canadian woman was on World and Olympic podium FAR more recently than any Americans, right? And that skater has not retired yet.

berrycute

On the Ice
I really don't care either way, I just found it amusing that someone would think that Carolina has no political clout whatsoever. I didn't imply that she was held up in this competition - that's your own conclusion.

You don't know who my favourite skater is, but I can assure you that she would not benefit from stricter rules in the SP, given her tendency to pop/underrotate jumps. Nice attempt to paint me as an uber, though.

Well, I don't know why you bother commenting on things you don't care about.

True I don't know (or care) who your favourite skater is, but even if your suggestion is not (overtly) designed to give preference to her, my main point is that the tech program is not, and should not be, only about the tech elements. There is a presentation component. If you go to far towards rewarding tech ability without also rewarding performance and artistry, I switch off. And I think many people would do the same, and the ISU knows that.

daniel1406

Rinkside
Why standing ovations occur could have various reasons. Sometimes the audience truly likes the performance. Sometimes an ovation is expected no matter what happens. When little children perform a school play for parents, they always get a standing ovation regardless. Sometimes it depends on how many fans a person has in the audience. If enough diehard fans jump to their feet first, others nearby will do the same because they don't want to appear inconsiderate. It becomes like starting a "Wave".

In my high school days, we would be corralled in the cafeteria during lunch hour. Sometime a table of people would suddenly toss their garbage and stand. Others at nearby tables would do the same. Soon the entire cafeteria was on their feet. Teachers had to block the exits to prevent students from leaving until the remaining time expired. People can be like sheep sometimes. :lol:

I am not saying anyone does or does not deserve an ovation, just clarifying that it isn't necessarily as clear cut as you are implying.

I get your point mate. I was pointing out the fact that only two people got a standing ovation from the crowd. And it's up to personal preference to decide whether Kim's performance was good or bad. some people might like it while others don't like it. But I thought "methodical", "emotionless" and "uninspiring" were not the best words to describe her sp.

My high school didn't have any cafeteria. There was just a common room and canteen :)

berrycute

On the Ice
I get your point mate. I was pointing out the fact that only two people got a standing ovation from the crowd. And it's up to personal preference to decide whether Kim's performance was good or bad. some people might like it while others don't like it. But I thought "methodical", "emotionless" and "uninspiring" were not the best words to describe her sp.

My high school didn't have any cafeteria. There was just a common room and canteen :)

Did Kim get a standing ovation, though? I saw a few people stand but most people clapped from their seats.

yuki

Final Flight
Well, I don't know why you bother commenting on things you don't care about.

I have this weird tendency to correct people's opinions with facts - it really gets the best of me sometimes. :)

True I don't know (or care) who your favourite skater is, but even if your suggestion is not (overtly) designed to give preference to her, my main point is that the tech program is not, and should not be, only about the tech elements. There is a presentation component. If you go to far towards rewarding tech ability without also rewarding performance and artistry, I switch off. And I think many people would do the same, and the ISU knows that.

You have a tendency of putting words in my mouth. I never said that the SP should only be about the tech elements - in fact, the only thing that I actually said was that falls should count more, at least in the SP. The whole thing started with someone asking why falls are more important than other mistakes, or something to that effect (I paraphrased), and all I did was express my opinion on that particular subject. This is totally getting blown out of proportion just because some people wrongly assumed I'm out to get their favourite skaters.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Boy the way this discussion was going, you think that only three people were compeating here... ;)

berrycute

On the Ice
I have this weird tendency to correct people's opinions with facts - it really gets the best of me sometimes. :)

You have a tendency of putting words in my mouth. I never said that the SP should only be about the tech elements - in fact, the only thing that I actually said was that falls should count more, at least in the SP. The whole thing started with someone asking why falls are more important than other mistakes, or something to that effect (I paraphrased), and all I did was express my opinion on that particular subject. This is totally getting blown out of proportion just because some people wrongly assumed I'm out to get their favourite skaters.

HA! You're quite the cow aren't you! I say that with love :biggrin:

I am a bit confused by your response. I didn't take into account the other feuds you're having with other posters here. You responded to my post about my pref for flawed artistry over clean but uninspired technique. I'm just restating my opinion. I don't see how this is putting words in your mouth. Anyway it doesn't matter. I enjoy reading your posts, you have a lot of "opinions".

daniel1406

Rinkside
does that look like outside edge?

it was a slight inside edge.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6e7CWVgLI6td0MzRjRHZHBTYkU/view?pli=1&sle=true

I agree it may be hard to decide as we don't have enough videos of difference angles.
But the line going into that 3F was straight. the mark on the ice doesn't lie.

EDIT : oh and you have to click the picture.... otherwise, it's too small -_-

To me, it looked fine in the video, but the angle was from the side. In the still pictures, the first one is also from the side. I do not understand why the preparer of these pictures drew a circle around Yu-na's knee. (?)

In the next 4 she looks OK so far, but she has not picked in yet. The last one -- I don't know. I would like to see it a split second later.

I do not see any "mark on the ice" in any of these pictures or videos.

Anyway, our girl is in first place :rock: , so who am I to nitpick the judging.

berrycute

On the Ice
YES SHE DID...

With all respect, https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6e7CWVgLI6td0MzRjRHZHBTYkU/view?pli=1&sle=true
please watch it from 3:19 ish -_-

there was another video showing the crowds but I can't find it....

Yeah you can see there, some people stand, some don't. The view I saw on Latvian tv feed looked like even less standing. That is not what a real standing ovation looks like. For comparison, check this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JETCkcZzHs from about 4:21. EVERYONE stands up.

verysmuchso

On the Ice
I personally love Vampire's Kiss as a choice of music (I guess I have a high angst tolerance level), and the theme portrays well Yuna's real life situation where she is subjected to both the seduction and vengeance of her fame + success= the vampire. If anyone can afford to skate to this music, it's definitely Yuna.