Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Joannie Rochette tight-lipped on future

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    If Rochette returned, she would have no shot at a medal. This time the Olympics are being held in Russia, not Canada, and CoP has changed again since she left. Most of the ladies are regularly doing 3/3s and 2a+3t; Joannie tried but never got her 3f+3t attempts ratified in international competition.

And the clock is ticking. Sochi is now 10.5 months away. It's tough to go from years of exhibition programs to two competitive programs, particularly a FS with 7 jumping passes. If Joannie was really contemplating a return, she would have at least been doing some serious training and maybe an International B (as Kim did) to put a toe in the water.
    True - Joannie struggled with the 3flip-3toe. But unlike the other top skaters, she could still do 7-triples in her skate (without edge calls), through the 3-3 sequences that she did or the 3toe-.5loop-3salchow. When she skated clean, she was a force to be reconked with.

Custom Title
    Skater boy, calm down. I was just doing a play on words, tight lipped. I was just trying to be funny. Evidently it was misfire.

Tripping on the Podium
    If Rochette returned, she would have no shot at a medal. This time the Olympics are being held in Russia, not Canada, and CoP has changed again since she left. Most of the ladies are regularly doing 3/3s and 2a+3t; Joannie tried but never got her 3f+3t attempts ratified in international competition.
    Her 3T + 1/2 Lo + 3S is now counted as a combination, not as a sequence. So she "does" have a 3/3 in her arsenal, if she can still do it.

Custom Title
    Joannie often struggled with the 3t^3s and she didn't always land it cleanly; she had about a 60% success rate with that combo in competition.

Custom Title
    I love Rochette and would love to see her compete. However, what is her motive?

1. Olympic gold (with Yuna's return and her incredible consistancy and the judges overscoring of her programs I don't see that happening).
    2. World Medal (I think she could have done this the last two years when the field wasn't as crowded at the top).
    3. Loves Competition (then bring it on, a solid Rochette can medal at any event).

Custom Title
    I don't think Joannie particularly enjoyed competition. She loved skating, but competing? Not so much. I think she would have enjoyed the Olympic experience a lot more if it hadn't coincided with the death of her mother. If she is considering a return, it is not because she craves competition, but perhaps that she would like to have a truly joyful Olympic experience.

And the clock is ticking. Sochi is now 10.5 months away. It's tough to go from years of exhibition programs to two competitive programs, particularly a FS with 7 jumping passes. If Joannie was really contemplating a return, she would have at least been doing some serious training and maybe an International B (as Kim did) to put a toe in the water.
    I think that this is the main problem: if she hasn't practiced the big tricks (3F, 3Lz, 3T+1Lo+3S) seriously in the last months, it's already almost too late... IF she wants to try to be in Sochi, she should begin training seriously right now and compete in some Summer Competition between June and July, just to let everyone know that she's really back, then try to receive at least one GP spot, if she's in good shape...

Now that Osmond got the two tickets to Sochi, what are the chances that Joannie would be back? I agree that it may be difficult to medal, unless she's been practicing for at least a year, because to start now would be a bit too late for the Olympics, and the field is already so heavily crowded. But she's a graceful and elegant skater, and with how Carolina still skating (and better than ever, I think), I feel like given a bit more year, she can come back and skate wonderfully.

Okay, so I might just admit that I just want to see her skate again, regardless of medal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2