Joannie Rochette tight-lipped on future | Golden Skate

Joannie Rochette tight-lipped on future

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joannie Rochette is the event ambassador for the 2013 world figure skating championships, but the first question reporters posed Tuesday was whether she’d be a competitor again.

More

Colanboy

Rinkside
I think she's waiting to see if Kaetlyn (whose name they spelled incorrectly :scowl: ) can nab two spots.

Krislite

Medalist
It's rather too late to stage a realistic comeback, I think. If she wanted to return she should have competed at Worlds this year. Besides, I think her chances of a finish higher than bronze in Sochi is slim to none given how much more competitive the ladies' field is now.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Joannie's sophisticated style I would rank above Mao. She skates with elegance, her SS are still among the best you will ever see. Joannie is not a natural beauty, but there is a glow around her when she performs-a true aura of great beauty. I do not see it with Yuna nor even mao when she competes. I think Rochette and Osmond are the most complete skaters in ladies Canada ever produced. I wish Joannie had the killer instinct that that yuna and mao have. What Joannie did, given the situation was amazing. I wish she had come back just to skate for herself. Mirai skated lights out and was fabulous, but no sophistication. Joannie was on the podium with two of the best ever. She was hardly a slouch. Yuna mao are back and I think Joannie could be top 5 had she skated for two years. I am sad joannie did not have the skate she dreamed of, but it was by far the most memorable performance of those games.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well said. I would love Joannie to skate for herself in a program of her choosing. It would be awesome to see her compete at Sochi but she would have to start now and a lot I agree would be based upon does Canada get two spots. If Canada does I WOULD SAY GO FOR IT.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
IF Osmond earns those two spots for Canada, Joannie will try a comeback I think, and I REALLY hope she will, even if I don't think that she would be able to stand on the podium, just to see her skating in a big event again... (I would hate it to be a Cohen-like comeback, though...) Knowing this, I suddenly became a Kaetlyn Osmond supporter! :biggrin:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Joannie's sophisticated style I would rank above Mao. She skates with elegance, her SS are still among the best you will ever see. Joannie is not a natural beauty, but there is a glow around her when she performs-a true aura of great beauty. I do not see it with Yuna nor even mao when she competes. I think Rochette and Osmond are the most complete skaters in ladies Canada ever produced. I wish Joannie had the killer instinct that that yuna and mao have. What Joannie did, given the situation was amazing. I wish she had come back just to skate for herself. Mirai skated lights out and was fabulous, but no sophistication. Joannie was on the podium with two of the best ever. She was hardly a slouch. Yuna mao are back and I think Joannie could be top 5 had she skated for two years. I am sad joannie did not have the skate she dreamed of, but it was by far the most memorable performance of those games.

I think she has a great regalness to her skating and performs her jumps with power and flow on the landings. She's a great example of how you don't have to be a delicate, young girl to be capable of good technical content. A comeback would be great for her, and depending on how the ladies do here, it's a possibility. She really could have dominated the last quadrennial.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
She is not an overly delicate waif or lyrical stylit like Yuna, Mao, Carolina or Mss America skating like Ashley, Kanako, Suzuki yet not quite like a Stuskaya - she is a strong skater who is feminie at the same time

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I didn't know she still had a problem with lipping;)

Huh? lipping who yuna? Joannie? I don't remember Joannie having a problem with edges or lipping. In fact, her programs really were the most intricate choreo and ransition wise and I always felt she deserved bonus marks for doing ever triple except the axel where everyone else had to skip one or two of them. But why the hate towards Joannie and welcoming Yuna with rose covered red carpets? Yuna has had her moment and she wants OGm again; Joannie is skating for the joy of skating a real Oly experience without masking the pain. Sorry I just think spread the wealth and Yuna has had her moment and is still a beautiful skater but she hasn't grown much as a skater. Joannie ws still developing and gaining consistency. Besides she would not be a medal threat now. And why shouldn't Joannie come back when we have hanger oners like Jenna McCorkell and Kostner and crew. Sure Carolina is still competitive at the top but she has been around for a while. I doubt Joannie will come back but the comment about good grief rather bothers me considering some of the other skaters hanging around or coming back. I might say the same about Alyssa Czisny and co. time to give it up - but we encourage doing what you need to do. :)

Robeye

Final Flight
My take: if Joannie's genuinely got the itch, then she ought to scratch it :). Life's too short. I have no idea why anyone would urge her not to. I mean, this isn't a Fumie Suguri situation, amirite?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
My take: if Joannie's genuinely got the itch, then she ought to scratch it :). Life's too short. I have no idea why anyone would urge her not to. I mean, this isn't a Fumie Suguri situation, amirite?

I don't think she does, though. She's had two Olympics and did terrifically in both. Skate Canada really did seem like they were going to pressure her to comeback, but then Osmond demonstrated real potential. If she wants to come back, more power to her. But I do think it's a little lip-service to keep her name in the media. I hope she does return, though. She's grown as a performer and if she's still got the jumps, she could be a real force to be reckoned with for Canada.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Rochette returned, she would have no shot at a medal. This time the Olympics are being held in Russia, not Canada, and CoP has changed again since she left. Most of the ladies are regularly doing 3/3s and 2a+3t; Joannie tried but never got her 3f+3t attempts ratified in international competition.

And the clock is ticking. Sochi is now 10.5 months away. It's tough to go from years of exhibition programs to two competitive programs, particularly a FS with 7 jumping passes. If Joannie was really contemplating a return, she would have at least been doing some serious training and maybe an International B (as Kim did) to put a toe in the water.

artsciboy

On the Ice
If Rochette returned, she would have no shot at a medal. This time the Olympics are being held in Russia, not Canada, and CoP has changed again since she left. Most of the ladies are regularly doing 3/3s and 2a+3t; Joannie tried but never got her 3f+3t attempts ratified in international competition.

And the clock is ticking. Sochi is now 10.5 months away. It's tough to go from years of exhibition programs to two competitive programs, particularly a FS with 7 jumping passes. If Joannie was really contemplating a return, she would have at least been doing some serious training and maybe an International B (as Kim did) to put a toe in the water.

True - Joannie struggled with the 3flip-3toe. But unlike the other top skaters, she could still do 7-triples in her skate (without edge calls), through the 3-3 sequences that she did or the 3toe-.5loop-3salchow. When she skated clean, she was a force to be reconked with.

Icey

Record Breaker
Skater boy, calm down. I was just doing a play on words, tight lipped. I was just trying to be funny. Evidently it was misfire.

seabm7

Final Flight

Her 3T + 1/2 Lo + 3S is now counted as a combination, not as a sequence. So she "does" have a 3/3 in her arsenal, if she can still do it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joannie often struggled with the 3t^3s and she didn't always land it cleanly; she had about a 60% success rate with that combo in competition.

MasterB

Final Flight
I love Rochette and would love to see her compete. However, what is her motive?

1. Olympic gold (with Yuna's return and her incredible consistancy and the judges overscoring of her programs I don't see that happening).
2. World Medal (I think she could have done this the last two years when the field wasn't as crowded at the top).
3. Loves Competition (then bring it on, a solid Rochette can medal at any event).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think Joannie particularly enjoyed competition. She loved skating, but competing? Not so much. I think she would have enjoyed the Olympic experience a lot more if it hadn't coincided with the death of her mother. If she is considering a return, it is not because she craves competition, but perhaps that she would like to have a truly joyful Olympic experience.