Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: For Ross Miner, there's a world outside the rink

I think this thread is exceedingly harsh to Ross. I, for one, will not give up on him.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Honestly, Lysacek can go jump for all I care. I'd be surprised if he even shows up at Nationals. As for Abbott, he's had it. He doesn't deserve any more chances.
    Abbott has had enough chances but if he delivers next season, he's still the best guy we have and likely to get a spot on the team. He simply gets rewarded when he skates well (like most of the US guys do) and when he skates well, he's better than anyone else we've got.

I agree Lysacek probably won't be back but if he does come back and he can land his jumps he will be considered, if only for the strength of his competitive resume.

And anyways, it's not all doom and gloom for Ross. He doesn't need to give up and neither do fans. He can still break through some changes to the current routine will just likely be necessary because right now it's not working that well for him.

Also, I too get the heebie jeebies from his jumps, but like I have mentioned before, I think it's a combination of not having the purest technique and muscling through the jumps a lot of the time. It's good he can land the jumps as often as he does, but if he can get someone to clean up his technique, I do think he would get more recognition and appreciation from the judges and be more consistent. He's not the most interesting or the most artistic, but neither is Lysacek, Joubert, or even Fernandez if I'm being perfectly honest, and they all are doing/have done quite well for themselves. I think Ross just needs to address the root of his problems rather than trying to push harder or get more quads, try to become a tortured arteest which he is not, etc. Focus on the right things and the rest may fall into place.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    I think this thread is exceedingly harsh to Ross. I, for one, will not give up on him.
    No kidding. This probably could fit if GS ever created a "Bash fest" section of the forums.

Anyway, everyone knows what I think, so won't blab on much more except to say that I won't give up on him either.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Me either. The first year one of the guys incorporates a quad in their programs is often quite rough. Ross is no different. I'm hoping next year will go smoother for him.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    +1

To clarify what I mean about Ross' jumps giving me the heebie jeebies: His jumps and Jeremy's jumps look frighteningly similar. They have what I call the "American jump technique" where somehow their heads seem off-centre and everything looks ungainly and off-kilter. Those jumps make me frightened that the skater will fall a lot more than the "Russian jump technique" - watching Plushenko, for example, you don't automatically think he'll fall every time he's in the air. And then you've got the "hybrid jump technique" which is what Zakrasjek seems to teach a lot of - the technique that guys like Aaron and Farris use, that's not quite Russian but doesn't give me the heebie jeebies.

Interestingly Brown seems to flip about a fair bit. Sometimes his jumps give me the heebie jeebies (his Lutz and his 3A mostly, until JW at least), and then other times it's like, ahhhhh, that was lovely.

Tripping on the Podium
    I haven't posted here in eons, but recent comments have compelled me to point out: Anyone who goes by the name "FlattFan" probably can't be counted on to have a strong knowledge or intelligent appreciation of the sport.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fadeevfan View Post
    I haven't posted here in eons, but recent comments have compelled me to point out: Anyone who goes by the name "FlattFan" probably can't be counted on to have a strong knowledge or intelligent appreciation of the sport.
    Uh, mate...Considering you're "fadeevfan", I wouldn't be talking. At least I've heard of Rachel Flatt...

Custom Title
    Wow - what acrimonious posting!!!! Have my suit of armor on though! Several thoughts: I don't think Lysacek is coming back and even if he does it bothers me greatly that he would be held up by the judges because of something he did FOUR YEARS AGO (which was alot of luck, thank you very much) He wouldn't have even placed in the top 10 this year (assuming he got a medal at Nationals) with the skate he did at Olys 4 years ago. As far as I'm concerned....done and done!
    Jeremy....yes, he's a headcase but he's quite capable of putting together a beautiful skate. Will he do it again? Who knows who will show up but I'm not ready to write him off. I think he has a better chance of succeeding than Plushenko! Ross Miner is not my cup of tea (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............) but to write him off because he didn't place in the top 10 and to intimate that he "sabotaged" the USA's chances at 3 reps at Olys is to say he deliberately did not skate well. That he planned to screw up. How on earth could anybody make a statement like that? I believe that Ross wanted to do well very badly - and it just didn't happen. Same could be said for Dai who seems to be everybody's darling! What has HE done for y'all lately and you're not counting HIM out? In my opinion, another done and done!!!!

I do think it's completely impossible to predict how any of these skaters is going to skate in the coming season. Or, if they do skate, where they will end up in their country or at the Olympics. Who could have ever thought or predicted last year that Denis Ten would put together two awesome skates - three, counting the exhibition!!! Some of these skaters have had wake-up calls, others may have found a new strength in their failures, others may realize it ain't happening and just give up. But sitting at our little computers and playing Skate God just seems like a waste of time unless you're bored and have nothing else to do tonite.

Custom Title
    Ross' 2 fans (probably mom and dad) fired back. LOL.
    Here's the deal, I'm more likely to be in Sochi for the Olympics than your son.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It is GS practice not to discuss the private lives of skaters except in the case where there is a reputable source in the news to quote about the issue.

We especially do not discuss the sexual preferences and significant others of underage kids.

If you do so, your post will be unapproved, and you will be warned or infracted or both.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Wow, I didn't know Ross was Australian! Maybe, since so many of you Americans don't want him, we could claim him! Australia with two spots for men at the Olympics, what a triumph that would be!
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 03-18-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    How low can you go with that comment? Ross has many more than 2 fans, believe me. I am proud to be one of his many supporters. Just for the record, his parents are very fine, decent people (we have met them @ the Liberty Summer Competition & @ Nationals), so please stop trashing them too. .

Custom Title
    (Isn't there a moderator on this board?)
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 03-18-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Ignorant American prats?

(Isn't there a moderator on this board?)
    Judging by said moderator's post upthread, a whole lot worse than that was said earlier...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast