For Ross Miner, there's a world outside the rink | Golden Skate

For Ross Miner, there's a world outside the rink

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
LONDON, Ontario — After taking online courses from the University of Missouri for a couple of years, Ross Miner figures that it might be time for him to actually sit in a lecture hall with classmates and a professor.

“I haven’t been to actual school since sixth grade at Mater Christi, so my study habits are a little interesting,” said the 22-year-old Vermont native, who will be competing Wednesday at the World Figure Skating Championships in London, Ontario. “I have a post-doctorate, if there is such a thing, in skating.”

More

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
That is good, since his future in the rink isnt looking too rosy at the moment. Blowing possibly his only ever chance for the U.S National title, sabatoging any hopes for the U.S men regaining 3 spots for the Games, and almost extinguishing any of his own hopes to go to next years Olympics.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
That is good, since his future in the rink isnt looking too rosy at the moment. Blowing possibly his only ever chance for the U.S National title, sabatoging any hopes for the U.S men regaining 3 spots for the Games, and almost extinguishing any of his own hopes to go to next years Olympics.

Very nasty post. On the second point (bolded by me), I think this is cruel, inaccurate, and terribly unfair to Ross Miner. Even if he had skated a completely clean program and scored at his previous best around the 235 mark, there is no way the judges were going to slot him above most of the other skaters on that list. Best case, he would have ended up around 9th or 10th. Net result along with Max Aaron's placement: STILL only two spots for US men. There was simply no way, in this field, that the US Men were going to get 3 spots. Not with Max + Ross and not with any other 2 US men. Ross may be guilty of goofing up parts of his program, but "sabotaging" the US hopes, yadda yadda? Um, no. Get real. He did nothing of the sort, all he did was mess up a couple of jumps.

Perhaps you just need to take a voluntary "time out" from the forum and get a grip. You're starting to spew corrosive nastiness over too many threads.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Miner would have beaten Aaron at Nationals had he done his 2nd triple axel so it easy to imagine a clean Miner could have beaten Aaron here and possibly been as high as 5th or 6th, giving the U.S a shot at 3 spots. Actually given the quality of skating of the mens event here in his NHK form he could have quite easily made the top 5 (at minimum). So your analysis is far from sound.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Ross needs to go back to the drawing board. It's not like he's really messing everything up, it's more that he just really needs to hit all his elements to be competitive, and it seems like he gets rather nervous which combined with his not textbook jumping technique can lead to mediocre results. Max continues to deliver which is why he is doing well, Ross can do well when he delivers too, we saw that at NHK, but he's not Chan and can't afford to make big mistakes, even if it's just a few, and wind up anywhere near the top at top-level competitions like 4CC and Worlds.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Like I said in the Men LP and SP, Ross took himself out of any consideration for next year. Just like C/S in pairs. He's been bombing left and right. And he doesn't have any redeeming quality in his skating. Posture is awkward and terrible. Jumps are awkward and terrible. Skating to generic music. Boring all around. To top it all off, sucked! I think it's good he's planning his world outside the rink. No more boost for you, Ross. Enjoy your post-doc.

Joshua is equally boring, but with nicer line and better jumps.
Jason is significantly better in term of performance.
Done done done.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Bit harsh there FlattFan but I agree that Ross will most likely not be on the team next year. And he's not really bombing per se it's more just that, as you pointed out, his skating is a bit bland/boring and his basics and interpretation are only garnering him decent PCS marks (low 7s) internationally. He needs to big jumps to be competitive for the top 10, and his technique is not so great, in general, but particularly for 4s and 3a, which are the jumps he needs the most to be competitive and the jumps he keeps messing up, I think this is because under pressure, the questionable technique cannot be relied upon to hold up. Ross needs a new coaching team if he is serious about his future I think, Mark and Peter produce very well trained athletes and seem to be good at helping them get the proper competitive mindset, however, they do not teach the best technique and that's evidenced by how most of their successful skaters either didn't have the hardest jumps (Hacker, Rizzo, Choate, Oi) or have questionable jump technique (Siraj, Miner, Carriere). Gao is doing well under them because she had good technique before she came to Mark and Peter and like I said, they do produce well-trained athletes who compete well. Ross should go to someone like Carol, Artunyian, Krall, Morozov to get the 3a and 4s more steady and reliable so he can land them under pressure and get better GOEs. The rest of his skating is actually improving so he maybe does have a chance in the future, he just needs some things sorted.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Miner up in 5th or 6th place at this worlds. No, I don't think so, Flatt Fan. I'm quite confident my analysis is sound and I made that judgment even before the competition started and before we saw the wonky men's judging.

While Miner certainly has plenty of room for improvement, which he may or may not be able to make, and may or may not be able to come up with more stylistic and memorable persona, I stand by my statement: Miner DID NOT sabotage any USA quest for 3 spots in the next Olympics. The only conceivable combo I could come up with that might have a shot at 3 spots is Lysacek + Abbott, and only if both had a tremendous competition. Putting that combo together obviously wasn't in the cards.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think a lot of people are being extremely harsh on Ross here. The US getting 3 spots was a total crapshoot anyway since the field was so deep and strong, no matter WHO they sent. Ross is a very nice, smooth skater with a nice lyricism, he always looks like he's having fun, my only criticism is that for whatever reason, his jumps give me the heebie-jeebies. Something about his air position.

He skated reasonably in the SP but I thought was very harshly judged there. And then while he did make two major mistakes in hte opening of his LP he recovered absolutely beautifully and skated the rest of the program very well except for one blip, but again, was slaughtered by the judges. So I think he did reasonably, and certainly better than Abbott would have done. And CERTAINLY better than Lysacek!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Very nasty post. On the second point (bolded by me), I think this is cruel, inaccurate, and terribly unfair to Ross Miner. Even if he had skated a completely clean program and scored at his previous best around the 235 mark, there is no way the judges were going to slot him above most of the other skaters on that list. Best case, he would have ended up around 9th or 10th. Net result along with Max Aaron's placement: STILL only two spots for US men. There was simply no way, in this field, that the US Men were going to get 3 spots. Not with Max + Ross and not with any other 2 US men. Ross may be guilty of goofing up parts of his program, but "sabotaging" the US hopes, yadda yadda? Um, no. Get real. He did nothing of the sort, all he did was mess up a couple of jumps.

Perhaps you just need to take a voluntary "time out" from the forum and get a grip. You're starting to spew corrosive nastiness over too many threads.

+1

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Ross is a strong number 3 World Team skater, but we don't have 3 spots, so he got put in a high pressure situation where he was basically expected to garner a placement he might not be able to manage on even his best day. Abbott and Dornbush are both better and would have more realistic chances at getting the 3rd spot back, but they both had a rough go of it at Nationals and didn't have particularly strong fall seasons to make the USFS overlook Nationals and send one of them anyways - after 4CC, they maybe should have given Dornbush a second thought, but by then it was probably too late and maybe not fair to Miner who had already been told he was going to Worlds.

Farris, Brown, Chen will probably overtake Miner in the next season or two anyways. Plus with two Olympic spots only Aaron, Abbott, Lysacek, and Dornbush have considerable chances to make it anyways.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Honestly, Lysacek can go jump for all I care. I'd be surprised if he even shows up at Nationals. As for Abbott, he's had it. He doesn't deserve any more chances.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think this thread is exceedingly harsh to Ross. I, for one, will not give up on him.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Honestly, Lysacek can go jump for all I care. I'd be surprised if he even shows up at Nationals. As for Abbott, he's had it. He doesn't deserve any more chances.

Abbott has had enough chances but if he delivers next season, he's still the best guy we have and likely to get a spot on the team. He simply gets rewarded when he skates well (like most of the US guys do) and when he skates well, he's better than anyone else we've got.

I agree Lysacek probably won't be back but if he does come back and he can land his jumps he will be considered, if only for the strength of his competitive resume.

And anyways, it's not all doom and gloom for Ross. He doesn't need to give up and neither do fans. He can still break through some changes to the current routine will just likely be necessary because right now it's not working that well for him.

Also, I too get the heebie jeebies from his jumps, but like I have mentioned before, I think it's a combination of not having the purest technique and muscling through the jumps a lot of the time. It's good he can land the jumps as often as he does, but if he can get someone to clean up his technique, I do think he would get more recognition and appreciation from the judges and be more consistent. He's not the most interesting or the most artistic, but neither is Lysacek, Joubert, or even Fernandez if I'm being perfectly honest, and they all are doing/have done quite well for themselves. I think Ross just needs to address the root of his problems rather than trying to push harder or get more quads, try to become a tortured arteest which he is not, etc. Focus on the right things and the rest may fall into place.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think this thread is exceedingly harsh to Ross. I, for one, will not give up on him.

No kidding. This probably could fit if GS ever created a "Bash fest" section of the forums.

Anyway, everyone knows what I think, so won't blab on much more except to say that I won't give up on him either.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Me either. The first year one of the guys incorporates a quad in their programs is often quite rough. Ross is no different. I'm hoping next year will go smoother for him.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

+1

To clarify what I mean about Ross' jumps giving me the heebie jeebies: His jumps and Jeremy's jumps look frighteningly similar. They have what I call the "American jump technique" where somehow their heads seem off-centre and everything looks ungainly and off-kilter. Those jumps make me frightened that the skater will fall a lot more than the "Russian jump technique" - watching Plushenko, for example, you don't automatically think he'll fall every time he's in the air. And then you've got the "hybrid jump technique" which is what Zakrasjek seems to teach a lot of - the technique that guys like Aaron and Farris use, that's not quite Russian but doesn't give me the heebie jeebies.

Interestingly Brown seems to flip about a fair bit. Sometimes his jumps give me the heebie jeebies (his Lutz and his 3A mostly, until JW at least), and then other times it's like, ahhhhh, that was lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.