For Ross Miner, there's a world outside the rink | Page 2 | Golden Skate

For Ross Miner, there's a world outside the rink

Status
Not open for further replies.

fadeevfan

Rinkside
I haven't posted here in eons, but recent comments have compelled me to point out: Anyone who goes by the name "FlattFan" probably can't be counted on to have a strong knowledge or intelligent appreciation of the sport.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I haven't posted here in eons, but recent comments have compelled me to point out: Anyone who goes by the name "FlattFan" probably can't be counted on to have a strong knowledge or intelligent appreciation of the sport.

Uh, mate...Considering you're "fadeevfan", I wouldn't be talking. At least I've heard of Rachel Flatt...

noskates

Record Breaker
Wow - what acrimonious posting!!!! Have my suit of armor on though! Several thoughts: I don't think Lysacek is coming back and even if he does it bothers me greatly that he would be held up by the judges because of something he did FOUR YEARS AGO (which was alot of luck, thank you very much) He wouldn't have even placed in the top 10 this year (assuming he got a medal at Nationals) with the skate he did at Olys 4 years ago. As far as I'm concerned....done and done!
Jeremy....yes, he's a headcase but he's quite capable of putting together a beautiful skate. Will he do it again? Who knows who will show up but I'm not ready to write him off. I think he has a better chance of succeeding than Plushenko! Ross Miner is not my cup of tea (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............) but to write him off because he didn't place in the top 10 and to intimate that he "sabotaged" the USA's chances at 3 reps at Olys is to say he deliberately did not skate well. That he planned to screw up. How on earth could anybody make a statement like that? I believe that Ross wanted to do well very badly - and it just didn't happen. Same could be said for Dai who seems to be everybody's darling! What has HE done for y'all lately and you're not counting HIM out? In my opinion, another done and done!!!!

I do think it's completely impossible to predict how any of these skaters is going to skate in the coming season. Or, if they do skate, where they will end up in their country or at the Olympics. Who could have ever thought or predicted last year that Denis Ten would put together two awesome skates - three, counting the exhibition!!! Some of these skaters have had wake-up calls, others may have found a new strength in their failures, others may realize it ain't happening and just give up. But sitting at our little computers and playing Skate God just seems like a waste of time unless you're bored and have nothing else to do tonite.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Ross' 2 fans (probably mom and dad) fired back. LOL.
Here's the deal, I'm more likely to be in Sochi for the Olympics than your son. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It is GS practice not to discuss the private lives of skaters except in the case where there is a reputable source in the news to quote about the issue.

We especially do not discuss the sexual preferences and significant others of underage kids.

If you do so, your post will be unapproved, and you will be warned or infracted or both.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Here's the deal, I'm more likely to be in Sochi for the Olympics than your son. :)

Wow, I didn't know Ross was Australian! Maybe, since so many of you Americans don't want him, we could claim him! Australia with two spots for men at the Olympics, what a triumph that would be!

Last edited by a moderator:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

How low can you go with that comment? Ross has many more than 2 fans, believe me. I am proud to be one of his many supporters. Just for the record, his parents are very fine, decent people (we have met them @ the Liberty Summer Competition & @ Nationals), so please stop trashing them too. .

noskates

Record Breaker
(Isn't there a moderator on this board?)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow, I didn't know Ross was Australian! Maybe, since so many of you Americans don't want him, we could claim him! Australia with two spots for men at the Olympics, what a triumph that would be!

Or Asian-American! ;)

samba

On the Ice
Give the kid a break!! I don't think Abbott or Dornbush or whoever will make difference. US won't get 3 spots anyway. Thanks to Max that help US keeping 2 spots. Thanks to USFS for sending Max (who was not in their radar), thanks for not sending the "well -known" elites to Worlds. Ross has potential and I won't give up on him yet.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Give the kid a break!! I don't think Abbott or Dornbush or whoever will make difference. US won't get 3 spots anyway. Thanks to Max that help US keeping 2 spots. Thanks to USFS for sending Max (who was not in their radar), thanks for not sending the "well -known" elites to Worlds. Ross has potential and I won't give up on him yet.

I don't think anyone else would make a difference. I also don't think anyone else would be that bad.
If you're talking about potential, here are the most to least potential

1. Jason Brown
2. Max Aaron
3. Joshua Farris
4. Richard Dornbush
5. Abbott
6. That curly hair guy
7. Armin
8. Ross

With little potential and no upshot, no consistency, I hope they stop giving him inflated PCS compare to the others.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

I wish you could.

Good heavens! Such an explosion of passions over generic nice guy Ross Minor.

I don't dare start a thread about Richard Dornbush.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Ross's 14th place at Worlds wouldn't get Australia 2 spots to the Olympics anyways but nice try guys :p
Anyways, USFS loves Abbott and Dornbush and especially Brown so if the first two can be consistent next season and Brown can keep delivering on the 3a and start trying a quad so really, I think Ross being sent this year was more a function of all 3 of Abbott, Dornbush, and Brown not skating well at Nationals, not the USFS loving him so much. Plus I think now they are going to favor Max Aaron above everyone else, he keeps doing well this season and he and Gracie Gold were all the announcers could talk about at Nationals. Ross might not even get 2 GPs next season because Johnson most surely will get SA (or deserves to after being so wonderful at Challenge Cup, and the Nationals FS) and I'm sure USFS will push for Brown to get 2 spots, which he deserves IMO anyways. Ross will be an afterthought and if he wants to be in the mix again he surely can be if he steps it up and starts delivering like a Boss on the GP and Nats.

MarkusNJ

Rinkside
Include me as a fan of Ross, and I would hardly say he is done. I think he works his butt off, and keeps getting better. I, for one, am a BIG fan, and I expect him to skate great in Boston!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I can't believe that a nice guy and a nice skater like Ross has so much hate directed his way, and yet a poor sport and total headcase named Jeremy Abbott is a fricking god to some of the people on here...

Face it, you still can't handle that Ross beat Abbott fair and square - that he was almost your National Champion.

Dots

Final Flight
I can't believe that a nice guy and a nice skater like Ross has so much hate directed his way, and yet a poor sport and total headcase named Jeremy Abbott is a fricking god to some of the people on here...

Face it, you still can't handle that Ross beat Abbott fair and square - that he was almost your National Champion.

Abbott is a sentimental favorite for sure, but I'm pretty sure we all know he's done. As it's Ross' Olympic dream I'm afraid. Just like Abbott, USFSA will remember [with bitterness] that 14th place that cost the US a chance to regain three spots.

He can always make a comeback in the next quad(this doesn't need to be his swan song) but the Olympic dream is dead in the water.

I'm a fan of his btw... :)

FlattFan

Match Penalty

Jeremy must have a large family.

Ross deserved his spot this year. No question about it, but in the future, please stop inflating him. He got his chance and he blew it. Now he's done. As simple as that. Same goes for Jeremy.

Status
Not open for further replies.