Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Moir: “We don’t care about what the 11 people (judges) think,”

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Now Marlie do that all the time: the safe, diplomatic answer. Journalists must hate them. LOL.
    Come on now, who could ever hate Marlie?

I mean especially if you have a chance to meet and talk with them. And perchance to see Charlie/Tanith's dog, DJ, is surely like icing on the cake, and nothing at all like "Kraft singles."

Marlie and their Magical Wizard Hair are just Grrrreat! (as Tony the Tiger would say)

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think what Scott meant was, "We are thrilled and honored for the privilege of representing Canada in our home town. We have a lot of ground to make up on Saturday, but we will give it everything we've got." (Why doesn't Scott hire me to be his publicist? )
    Perfect response! But it seems like Scott usually says the first thing that comes to mind.

Custom Title
    I wouldn't mind at all if Scott said something like, "Charlie White can't skate his way out of a paper bag and he has stupid hair. We are going to clean their clock next time out! Grrr."

But to say after a a bad skate, "I don't care what the judges think, we skate for The People." -- well, maybe next time the judges won't care what Scott thinks.
    I think the combination of Scott Moir at his loose-cannon best and you there, as publicist, to egg him on--now that might make me subscribe to a newspaper again!

A&S-- don't get me started on PJ Wrong and her utter idiocy. Kraft singles indeed. I'd like to see someone compare HER kids to Kraft singles (and not rich, expensive cheddar) and see if she doesn't think it's a total insult then. Idiot.

Poor Scott always seems to be saying the wrong thing. He should take a page out of Dai's book.

Here are a couple of excerpts from a translated interview with Dai regarding his "bad" skate in the SP.

“I wanted to treasure this moment to skate so that the fans who came to cheer me and those who support me would feel happy about it.”

“Not to fix it up, but to make my performance something people would say 'it was great to watch'”.

Custom Title
    Davis and White are in first and rightfully so. They are a great dance team and nice people. I don't like what Moir said necessarily but I have to say do we all need the Miss America answers from Kwan likes and Marlie? Boring and not the truth. Great for the Wheaties cover but you have no idea who these people "really" are or are we to believe they are so perfect? I am not sure how Chan gets brought into this but since he is (why do people hate him so much; he hasn't said much controversial in years) And to be balanced and fair Chan's artistry while not that of Tak is more organic than the likes of Boitanao or Lysacek. Boitano overnight got the panacea of the 80's Sandra Bezic and became an artist - nice spread eagle with the dramatic stare to the heavens (give me a 6.0 those eyes said lol). Evan was no artist either - ooh I am wearing VEra Wang I am artisitc. If we are going to sell skating while we know about politics we need interesting characters along with good skating. We don't have that. The romantic couple Gordeeva and Grinkov and who do we compare? In 2002 we had Sale and pelletier and they paled far far far from G and G in respect to romance between them and skating skills. In the early 90's we had Nancy Kerrigant the perfect princess who made some nasty comments about the orphan waif who became a drunk not to mention the chain smoking beer slinging trashy, whack them in the knee tonya harding. The orphan waif was around winning OGM against Nancy kerrigan in a 13000 dress. She won despite the german girl accidentally stabbing her in the back with her skating blade and she is carried off the ice by the fading Witt and her East German antics and soap opera sex life and feminine charms. They had the triple axel rarity Midori ito and Pasha, who changed her name from Oksana because she didnt want to be associated with the other Oksana the "bad" oksana (drunk)having an affair with compatriot and competitio for OGM and an incident where Maia Usova fought for her man and slammed Pasha's head in a bowl of soup. Now that is drama and that made skating interesting. Remember Surya 's reaction to silver? REal emotions. e have nice people smiling Yuna, the cute Shibs, Miss America , perfect Marlie, boring Russian dance teams who are interchangeable, ho hum pairs, add to that a scoring system that only us diehards understand (and can't agree on lol). the fading superstud Brian Joubert replaced with nice guy FErnandez perhaps? Where's the drama? Where's the human interest? The academics ie Gao and Flatt while skating doesn't cut it. The American girls right now have that Miss America thing going on big smiles but not the human draw of a Harding, or even a mother smothered Tiffany Chin. Lots of pablum and oatmeal....The sequins are sadly losing their sparkle and twinkle.

Custom Title
    The Oxford dictionary already recognizes “could care less” as an American colloquialism. Many people, however, regard it as incorrect since it makes no logical sense (if you “could care less” it means that you care at least a bit).

That's why I like coming to GS Forum. Not only Skating opinion, but a seminar on American variations on English grammar.

You would not believe how many American colloquialisms are used over here. Infact I predict we will be talking American in less than 2 decades. Though I agree the "could care less" is a daft one that is nonsensicle.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Not to spoil anyone's fun, but I was taking that in context with some of the other comments he made afterwards ,in which he was being pretty restrained. I think the meaning is because it's in their home , where they have overwhelming support and love in the building , in this case, he can care less about ...etc.,etc...as compared to other competitions..

But, party on...

Custom Title
    I never thought I would say this but; Scott should consider the I/K response, of late. If they're not pleased with their skate they simply keep quiet. It reflects badly on them when he makes comments like these. If he's not concerned about his own image he might at least consider Tessa. This is not to say i don't understand his frustration. The COP has changed ice dance, really making it more about technique and acrobatics and this will necessarily make it difficult for less athletically and technically gifted teams. But this is life. They need to decide whether they want to continue to stress themselves or simply move on. Life is too short to waste it on being bitter, which is what his comments sound like

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Well, kkonas said Moir hates to lose. I think we're just seeing just how much (and how true) that is.

Interesting fact: if they do lose, they won't be able to fall back on "Tessa's injured." And that would certainly change the psychology of these two rivals, wouldn't it?
    If they do lose, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they admit after the fact that Tessa HAS been injured this season. Then their fans can claim D/W's win 'has to be marked with an asterisk, just like their win in 2011 was'.

Moir would say anything to spin a loss in V/M's favor.

Anyway, Scott, there may be 10,000 fans in the audience, but not all of them are fans of yours. Lots of Americans, Europeans and Asians are in that audience, too, and many of them don't like your truculent attitude. The Canadian fans are just louder than the others.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    If they do lose, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they admit after the fact that Tessa HAS been injured this season. Then their fans can claim D/W's win 'has to be marked with an asterisk, just like their win in 2011 was'.

I dread this response too. Maybe D/W are in first because they are the best, not because V/M are injured. It's a given that skaters are in pain probably most of the time. That doesn't mean they are injured if other skaters are better.

I read that Sasha Cohen claims, in a recent interview, to have been injured in 2006 and that's why she couldn't win. Was she also injured every other nationals and every other worlds where she fell? Did the normal, everyday aches and pains suddenly morph into an injury because she was expected to win but didn't?

V/M have been slipping for at least a year now. That's a long time to skate through a legitimate injury. Tessa probably skated through worse pain than a muscle spasm, leading up to the Olympics, before she had her surgery. Why all of a sudden the injury excuse now, because they are not winning?

So V/M are not feeling their best. The reason someone gets second instead of first is usually because they are not feeling their best. That means another team was feeling their best, and therefore legitimately better on that day.

D/W have handled all of their skeptical second place finishes with dignity. Scott has won the biggest prize of all, and yet still can't handle it if a smaller competition is not gifted to them.

The way they skate, it seems like V/M don't care anymore. They don't skate with the same passion. Maybe it's indeed because Tessa is in pain everyday, in which case they should be pleased with even a 2nd place finish. Skating with an injury is not easy. It could be because they are not as motivated since they have already won World's/Olys. Maybe it's because D/W have surpassed them in difficulty. It slightly angers me when someone is not grateful, after the success they have already had. You can't win 'em all.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post

Anyway, Scott, there may be 10,000 fans in the audience, but not all of them are fans of yours. Lots of Americans, Europeans and Asians are in that audience, too, and many of them don't like your truculent attitude. The Canadian fans are just louder than the others.
    It's moments like this when one wishes that Kurt Browning still skated in Olympic-eligible competitions.

I don't necessarily think that saying something nice is being false and beauty-pageant-contestant. Some people are more comfortable being diplomatic or just keeping things to themselves. I don't look for excitement in their utterances; I look for it on the ice. Michelle Kwan was one of the least interesting interviewees I ever heard, except for Kristi Yamaguchi. I'd still rather see either of them skate than watch any diva I can think of, male or female.

"Could care less" is a lot more convincing when you hear its tone of voice. When said in with a mixture of world-weariness and snark, it is very effective at getting the point across. It's no more the opposite of "couldn't care less" than "fat chance" is the opposite of "slim chance." I don't know anything about its etymology, but I'm willing to guess that it was born somewhere near the urban haunts that gave rise to the word fugeddaboudit.

Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    Not to spoil anyone's fun, but I was taking that in context with some of the other comments he made afterwards ,in which he was being pretty restrained. I think the meaning is because it's in their home , where they have overwhelming support and love in the building , in this case, he can care less about ...etc.,etc...as compared to other competitions
    ?!!! I think you nailed it. I take back the mean things I said.

Custom Title
    Okay, that makes sense. I stand corrected as well.

(Let it be said also that even if I do sometimes get peeved with Scott, I love V/M's skating.)

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    ?!!! I think you nailed it. I take back the mean things I said.
    Don't! You nailed it the first time, Mathman. It's not that Moir is being rude, it is that what he said is blatantly and petulantly disingenuous. All the training he does, the careful calibration to every move, is designed to get the best marks out of those judges. If he really didn't care what the judges think, he'd skate his exhibition number. Why bother training the Yankee Polka pattern, which he disdains? Surya Bonaly doing a forbidden backflip, now that was a skater showing that she didn't care what the judges think. This is the equivalent of a child stomping his feet and going, "well, I didn't want dessert anyway!", after begging for it and not getting it.

People, please try to remember: just because someone is being impolitic and brash doesn't mean they're being honest. It is perfectly possible for people to lie while being tactless and nasty.

Ya'll just need to ignore it. aftertherain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Don't! You nailed it the first time, Mathman. It's not that Moir is being rude, it is that what he said is blatantly and petulantly disingenuous. All the training he does, the careful calibration to every move, is designed to get the best marks out of those judges. If he really didn't care what the judges think, he'd skate his exhibition number. Why bother training the Yankee Polka pattern, which he disdains? Surya Bonaly doing a forbidden backflip, now that was a skater showing that she didn't care what the judges think. This is the equivalent of a child stomping his feet and going, "well, I didn't want dessert anyway!", after begging for it and not getting it.

People, please try to remember: just because someone is being impolitic and brash doesn't mean they're being honest. It is perfectly possible for people to lie while being tactless and nasty.

YES. THIS.

Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    I read that Sasha Cohen claims, in a recent interview, to have been injured in 2006 and that's why she couldn't win. Was she also injured every other nationals and every other worlds where she fell? Did the normal, everyday aches and pains suddenly morph into an injury because she was expected to win but didn't?

D/W have handled all of their skeptical second place finishes with dignity. Scott has won the biggest prize of all, and yet still can't handle it if a smaller competition is not gifted to them.
    Sasha actually was injured at the 2006 Olympics. There were reports/video clips of her rubbing her leg/groin during practices before the short and long programs . I can't speak for the other competitions where she fell (I think those were more attributed to mental strength), but she was definitely injured at the 2006 Olympics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaZ6uGw8xkg

--------

Part of the reason why I like D/W more is because they handle things with such grace. They have such quiet, yet strong determination. Sure, they might give Miss America answers, but at least they channel all that anger and frustration out on the ice into their training and ultimately in competitions--so in a way, they're telling the truth. You know that they're giving it their all.

It's quite admirable because you can see how much they give in their programs (i.e. at the end of their FD at 4CC, Charlie was too out-of-breath to get up immediately)-- so you know that they're not just all talk and little action. Ain't no Miss America rehearsed-pageantry there.

Plus, I'm sure all Miss America contestants are divas behind the scenes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast