Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Moir: “We don’t care about what the 11 people (judges) think,”

Custom Title
    It's just funny because there was not talk of her being injured especially after she won the SP. Then before the LP it was "doubt" in her eyes, not an injury. Then after she fell in LP it was just "Sasha being Sasha." Then Sasha said that she was just tired at Worlds and that's why she lost there. No word of a serious injury that would cause you to lose the Olympics until years later. There was talk in 2010 about her walking around with ice bags on her legs and popping Aleve and she claimed it was all normal aches and pains.

Anyways the point is that unless there is a huge history or doctor's note or surgery, how do you know it's a bad injury and not just sour grapes. Athletes compete and win gold with injuries all the time (look at the gymnasts). That's what I think Scott is doing. Laying the groundwork.

Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    It's just funny because there was not talk of her being injured especially after she won the SP. Then before the LP it was "doubt" in her eyes, not an injury. Then after she fell in LP it was just "Sasha being Sasha." Then Sasha said that she was just tired at Worlds and that's why she lost there. No word of a serious injury that would cause you to lose the Olympics until years later. There was talk in 2010 about her walking around with ice bags on her legs and popping Aleve and she claimed it was all normal aches and pains.
    They probably didn't want to ruin the primetime coverage. But the video I provided had Dick Button and his fellow commentators clearly speculating whether she was just sore or if it was really an injury. It really seemed like they really didn't want to say she was injured because that would have surely killed the dream, especially after the excellent SP and given the way she usually performed long programs in her career.

Miserere Nobis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh3iW4I39DI

"There's that tape under her tights. Her left leg taped because of a groin injury."

Yep, it was mentioned.

Custom Title
    V/M's injury was also mentioned (at 4CC's). Was it bad enough for them to lose the competition? Or just sour grapes? We will never know, with them or with Sasha. Tape (or muscle cramp) isn't exactly a surgery. Oksana had her leg sliced open the day prior and still won an Olympics. If you are good enough then you can work through something minor and win.

V/M's injury was also mentioned. Was it bad enough for them to lose the competition? Or just sour grapes? We will never know, with them or with Sasha. Tape isn't exactly a surgery. Oksana had her leg sliced open the day prior and still won an Olympics.
    It's not really fair to compare skaters and their injuries though. It's like of like your parents going, "Well, she got an A and she was sick in bed so she had less time to study, just because you had the sniffles doesn't mean you shouldn't have scored higher" ... even though you're in different classes.

But, like you said, we'll never know.

Custom Title
    V/M's injury was also mentioned (at 4CC's). Was it bad enough for them to lose the competition? Or just sour grapes? We will never know, with them or with Sasha. Tape (or muscle cramp) isn't exactly a surgery. Oksana had her leg sliced open the day prior and still won an Olympics. If you are good enough then you can work through something minor and win.
    I think Oksana also had a broken rib so it wasn't something minor.

Custom Title
    Exactly, Oksana's injury wasn't minor, and she still won. Heck, look at what happened to Nancy. No excuses there either. She got silver but physically couldn't have performed much better than that.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    It's not really fair to compare skaters and their injuries though. It's like of like your parents going, "Well, she got an A and she was sick in bed so she had less time to study, just because you had the sniffles doesn't mean you shouldn't have scored higher" ... even though you're in different classes.

But, like you said, we'll never know.
    Exactly. And a skater doesn't even have to be injured to have a hard time. Yuzuru Hanyu, for example, has pretty bad asthma that usually prevents him from running through a clean FS. I don't think he'll ever need to get surgery to correct it, but classifying injuries as major and minor can turn into a subjective argument.

Custom Title
    AFAIK, there IS no surgery for asthma, so no easy fix. Most adults with asthma I have known take medication for it. With children and teens, there may be some hope of outgrowing asthma. In sports there is also what's known as exercise-induced asthma and it persists as long as the sports activity continues.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Don't! You nailed it the first time, Mathman. It's not that Moir is being rude, it is that what he said is blatantly and petulantly disingenuous. All the training he does, the careful calibration to every move, is designed to get the best marks out of those judges. If he really didn't care what the judges think, he'd skate his exhibition number. Why bother training the Yankee Polka pattern, which he disdains? Surya Bonaly doing a forbidden backflip, now that was a skater showing that she didn't care what the judges think. This is the equivalent of a child stomping his feet and going, "well, I didn't want dessert anyway!", after begging for it and not getting it.

People, please try to remember: just because someone is being impolitic and brash doesn't mean they're being honest. It is perfectly possible for people to lie while being tactless and nasty.
    That was on point.

Banned
    Scott Moir is SO full of feces his toilet is green with envy ....

Tripping on the Podium
    Ho, ho, ho. What a hoot to wake up to this. I really am rolling on the floor laughing. Skater Boy, you made my morning.

Rinkside
    I don't think what Scott said was that bad...he's said some things that are way worse than this. I don't think he meant what he said to be interpreted that way.
    Americans are just being overly dramatic as usual. He also added:

“We’re concerned about what we have to do in order to perform on the ice. It’s a judged sport, so it’s not like how many pucks I put in the net,” he said. “It’s 11 people who are going to decide, and it’s out of our hands. It’s not like we’re not concerned about placement. We spend our whole lives working toward this moment.”
    Good grief people, don't let your biases get in the way (like the judges letting P.Chan win another controversial gold ). See things for how they really are.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by joyfuls View Post
    I don't think what Scott said was that bad...he's said some things that are way worse than this. I don't think he meant what he said to be interpreted that way.
    Americans are just being overly dramatic as usual. He also added:

“We’re concerned about what we have to do in order to perform on the ice. It’s a judged sport, so it’s not like how many pucks I put in the net,” he said. “It’s 11 people who are going to decide, and it’s out of our hands. It’s not like we’re not concerned about placement. We spend our whole lives working toward this moment.”

Good grief people, don't let your biases get in the way (like the judges letting P.Chan win another controversial gold ). See things for how they really are.
    Now put the two attitudes together:
    1. Judges? What judges? Who cares about judges,,,We skate for The People.
    2. We spend our whole lives training to impress the judges so we can win.

It doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes to see there's a wee bit of a contradiction (to be generous) there...

Oh by the way, thanks for doing stereotyping all Americans. How nice for you that only you can "see things for how they really are," unlike us drama queen Americans.We sure do appreciate it.

Lol @ this thread. This cheered me up this morning after that clusterfudge of a men's competition.

I don't see what's so terribly rude or arrogant about saying you're there for the audience and not for the judges. Disingenuous? Yes, I can agree it is that. Ah, Scott.

"People who say they don't care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don't care what people think." ~George Carlin

(And I still hope they knock it out of the park in the free dance).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast