2013 Worlds Ladies FS | Page 76 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies FS

aero

On the Ice
Re the questions about 3 spots for Korea, what exactly is the rule? Is it that one skater must come in first place to win 3 spots?

In any case, if Korea gets to send three skaters next year the combined placements of two must equal 13 or they go down to 2 skaters the following year. If the two don't reach a certain limit, then they'll be reduced to one. Will Yu Na come back to the rescue then in 2017? ;)

YuNa said that she was going to retire after Sochi, but competing in her home country may throw some doubt in the air.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I bet you will see Yu Na compete at the 2014 Worlds after the Games, then retire for awhile, and make another comeback starting at the 2017 Worlds.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I really do think the Korean juniors have a lot of promise. They had several skaters medal in the JGP this season.

FTnoona

Final Flight
I always felt I would like to see the best 30 or 40 athletes, or however large the field may be designated as, in any given event (and that goes for all sports, summer or winter). Even if it was 35 Americans or 35 Soviets if those were the 35 best I would want that to be the field. I personally am not a fan of the restriction rules per country and other qualifying methods. I was not charmed like many were by the infamous Eric the Eel swimmer at the 2000 Olympics, who could have potentially drowned had there not been lifeguards galore around the pool, while World class athletes capable of winning medals were left off as they just missed out with 2 per country max per event and finishing 3rd or 4th at their Trials competition. I am not charmed by athletes I could beat at that they are doing with both legs and both arms tied (and believe me I have no illusions I am an Olympic athlete) with ease being at the Olympics, just because they happen to be from a country undeveloped in a sport. I think there should be different levels an subcategories of competition that gives any country a chance to participate and work their way up until they develop athlets worthy of competing at the World and especialy Olympic level.

Wasn't that the purpose of having the TES requirement this year.

Gymfan15

On the Ice
Oh, I love Yuna, but I have a feeling that she had better stay far, far away from the Olys if they are in Korea. Her fans are most "enthusiastic" and it would be an enormous disappointment if she did not win, which would be very likely since she would be older and likely equal or passed by the next generation. Nobody would want to see Yuna lose on home ice...there would be a riot. Unless she could absolutely be in stunning form for so long, it would be near impossible.

Krislite

Medalist
I bet you will see Yu Na compete at the 2014 Worlds after the Games, then retire for awhile, and make another comeback starting at the 2017 Worlds.

Hmm...I don't know about that. She was quite public about retiring after Sochi, as opposed to being tight-lipped after Vancouver. And why would she want to? Seriously, 2 OGM and 2 World titles would be enough to satisfy her, I'm sure.

Oreo

On the Ice
The Russian girls had every opportunity and all the talent in the world to win three spots, but they squandered it.

They had bad programs for starters. Alena's and Tuk's programs were pretty drab, as were their costumes. Adelina's was better, but having Christina Aguilera's background screeching didn't help. As much as I do like these Russian girls, it's like they need some experts in taste and style to come in and fix them.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Wasn't that the purpose of having the TES requirement this year.

Yes, and that is a good start, but I still am with ks777 that I like to see the very best athletes compete, regardless if that happens to be more from certain countries than others.

In this case reading the interview and seeing how much it meant for Kim to get some spots for her young teammates then fine, have them go to the Games, as it meant so much to her and she certainly skated another all time greatest performance to make it happen. Given the context of the rules now she knew if she delivered that is what would happen and she sure earned it for them. However I would not like to see a rule like that continuing.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think we're forgetting that one of the big ideals of the Olympics is the "taking part" even if there's no real chance to win.

I'm sure the IOC is happy to have multiple skaters from developing countries taking part, even though only one could be considered a medal threat.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Hmm...I don't know about that. She was quite public about retiring after Sochi, as opposed to being tight-lipped after Vancouver. And why would she want to? Seriously, 2 OGM and 2 World titles would be enough to satisfy her, I'm sure.

Well the Worlds are right after the Games and going to the 2010 Worlds was much harder for her than anything I am sure, so why wouldnt she atleast go to the 2014 Worlds only a month later. I also think the allure of competing at an Olympics at home, and possibly trying to match Henjie's feat of 3 straight Golds (if she wins in Sochi, which is obviously a good chance) would be too much to pass up, but that is less certain.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

That and lighting the Olympic torch!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
We would all like to see the world's best at the Olympics, but YuNa earned her country three spots fair and square. I feel for the Russians, but they couldn't do what was necessary to retain their three spots.
Plus, figure skating is very new to South Korea, so their up and coming talents will most likely be very very young. I suppose the rise in popularity would have started in around 2005 or so when YuNa was on the junior circuit. That leaves about 7 years for new skaters to emerge onto the competitive scene, but we have to remember that figure skaters tend to start skating very early.

Yes Yuna won Korea three spots fair and square according to the current rules. It is sad Russia only has 2 spots because they did dreadful here BUT hey USA only had 2 ladies until now. WAgner couldn't get the job done after so much promise early on. Osmond - I think it was asking a lot of her to do so well considering she hasn't been exposed to as much competition as Gracie who has huge competition in the US in j uniors and now seniors. Gracie is a world junior medallist and Grand prix threat; Osmond isn't or hasn't but give her time. 8th isn't bad for a first try. Li is amazing. Sad to see world silver and bronze medallist can't even make the top 10

sather

Rinkside
Oh, I love Yuna, but I have a feeling that she had better stay far, far away from the Olys if they are in Korea. Her fans are most "enthusiastic" and it would be an enormous disappointment if she did not win, which would be very likely since she would be older and likely equal or passed by the next generation. Nobody would want to see Yuna lose on home ice...there would be a riot. Unless she could absolutely be in stunning form for so long, it would be near impossible.

I don't think she will come back. She's a clever girl who knows when to leave. She has stayed away because she was sure that she wouldn't do well enough when she wasn't motivated and she came back because she was certain that she can regain her class. So, don't worry about spoiling her glory in the future ;) (and if she does come back for pyeongchang, who knows? she might be confident that she will certainly be able win again )

aero

On the Ice
I think we're forgetting that one of the big ideals of the Olympics is the "taking part" even if there's no real chance to win.

I'm sure the IOC is happy to have multiple skaters from developing countries taking part, even though only one could be considered a medal threat.

Agreed. And if we really want to see skaters from countries that have already filled up their spots, we could try having a qualifying event that individual skaters that missed out with their national committees can compete for a spot at. I know we're focusing on the Russians losing their 3 spots, but like someone said before me, their are dozens of talented Japanese skaters that will never get to compete on the world stage either.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

I am not talking about ones who can win medals. None of the Russian ladies are good enough to win medals, and honestly I dont think a single one of them has a chance at a medal at the Games next year at this point. However they still have numerous that are Olympic caliber, which is different than Olympic medal caliber. Obviously with any field someone will come dead last in a large field of competitors, and obviously someone who comes in 40th place was not a medal contender. However it would be nice if whoever that is were still an Olympic caliber athlete, which as things are now there are too many that arent.

sidneyke

Rinkside
I could have said it better. Thanks for this amazing site, all your efforts and making it free! :eek:)

There are currently 1413 users online. 200 members and 1213 guests
Most users ever online was 1,415, Today at 11:10 PM.

^
Also, congratulations to the site owner for creating such a fabulous hub for figure skating fans. Thank you for upgrading your servers (no crashes at all! :)!), thank you for keeping it free and open as it obviously isn't free for you. I'm not sure where to post this so I hope you're reading lol

ks777

Record Breaker
whatever happened to Suzuki anyway? She is so inconsistent this season. I am afraid she might not make the Olympic team.

Eclair

Medalist
I am not following your question.

Okay let me be more clear. You explained that you think it's unfair that top skaters wouldn't be allowed to compete at Olympics because of the 2-3 spots restrinction of their country, while lesser skaters are able to compete there and therefore you complained about Kim winning 3 spots for Korea.
I found this view inapproriate and explained that Kim won them faire and square, everyone had the same chances of doing so and this principle of restricled spots also apply for World championships, since very good skaters from e.g. Japan won't have a chance to go there while less good skaters from countries were figure skating is not similarily popular are able to attend. Now I asked, if it bothers you so much for the Olympics, does this rule bother you for Words too? And if yes, what you would change? The only possibility for seeing only the best regardless of nationality is to only take the best and exclude the less good skaters from minor figure skating countries. I wouldn't want that because it would take away the diversity and would end up excluding minor figure skating countries completely. Not to mention to take away any chance of them developing a decent skater. So no, I don't believe any other country deserves more spots at Sochi instead of Korea, becuase it has been won faire and square.

aero

On the Ice
whatever happened to Suzuki anyway? She is so inconsistent this season. I am afraid she might not make the Olympic team.

That's what I would like to know. She's one of my favorite figure skaters of all time, and she looked pretty good at FCC which wasn't that long ago.