2013 Worlds Ladies FS | Page 77 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies FS

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
That's what I would like to know. She's one of my favorite figure skaters of all time, and she looked pretty good at FCC which wasn't that long ago.

She apparently wasn't good at Japanese Nationals though, although I didn't see it.

Krislite

Medalist
Well the Worlds are right after the Games and going to the 2010 Worlds was much harder for her than anything I am sure, so why wouldnt she atleast go to the 2014 Worlds only a month later. I also think the allure of competing at an Olympics at home, and possibly trying to match Henjie's feat of 3 straight Golds (if she wins in Sochi, which is obviously a good chance) would be too much to pass up, but that is less certain.

I'm a huge Yuna fan, but even I don't believe she has a superhuman body and boundless motivation. She'll be 27 by 2018. It's doubtful her body will allow her, and let's not even talk of motivation. It took a long time of soul-searching after Vancouver before she regained her competitive fire. After Sochi, I can't imagine her wanting to go for it again.

ks777

Record Breaker
Okay let me be more clear. You explained that you think it's unfair that top skaters wouldn't be allowed to compete at Olympics because of the 2-3 spots restrinction of their country, while lesser skaters are able to compete there and therefore you complained about Kim winning 3 spots for Korea.
I found this view inapproriate and explained that Kim won them faire and square, everyone had the same chances of doing so and this principle of restricled spots also apply for World championships, since very good skaters from e.g. Japan won't have a chance to go there while less good skaters from countries were figure skating is not similarily popular are able to attend. Now I asked, if it bothers you so much for the Olympics, does this rule bother you for Words too? And if yes, what you would change? The only possibility for seeing only the best regardless of nationality is to only take the best and exclude the less good skaters from minor figure skating countries. I wouldn't want that because it would take away the diversity and would end up excluding minor figure skating countries completely. Not to mention to take away any chance of them developing a decent skater. So no, I don't believe any other country deserves more spots at Sochi instead of Korea, becuase it has been won faire and square.
I never said it was "unfair". and I still don't know what you are talking about. Please don't make up stuff I didn't say.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The Russian girls had every opportunity and all the talent in the world to win three spots, but they squandered it.

Yup, we Americans are FAR too familiar with this feeling...honestly, though, Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva weren't bad - top 10 in debut is pretty good...but this was a really deep field and they sealed their fate by being so far back in the SP...

neraiselle

On the Ice
http://asia.eurosport.com/figure-skating/yuna-reigns-supreme-at-worlds_sto3670195/story.shtml

"I have been in the worlds since 2007 and I have both good and bad memories," said Kim. "I had feeling this could be my last world championships and because I delivered good results, I am very happy."

Maybe this is why Yu-na seemed very quiet and didn't smile very much after the performance and winning the title. Thinking that this will be her last world championship, maybe she seemed "too(?!)" calm and contemplative for a person who just won a world title.

ks777

Record Breaker
I'm a huge Yuna fan, but even I don't believe she has a superhuman body and boundless motivation. She'll be 27 by 2018. It's doubtful her body will allow her, and let's not even talk of motivation. It took a long time of soul-searching after Vancouver before she regained her competitive fire. After Sochi, I can't imagine her wanting to go for it again.
oh really? I think we figured it out by looking at your pic. I think Yuna is extremely strong mentally. sHe might be the toughest ever.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm a little weary of the teeth-gnashing concerning the Russians only getting two spots for next year.

The fact is that they sent two promising young skaters and last year's over-achiever who has had a bad run. But all season long, people have looked to these girls like they are the second coming of Sonja Henie. The fact is they were WAY overhyped in relation to their talent and experience.

Yep, they're good. One day, they may even be great. But a perfectly respectable WC debut in the Top 10 should not be cause for weeping and wailing.

Give them some TIME to learn from this experience and to grow from it, and quit acting like they've disgraced their nation when they actually did quite well.

Remember Tara Lipinski was 13th in her WC debut. The next year, she won. The year after that, she was OGM.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
She said could, not was, which suggests she atleast might go to the post Olympic Worlds. Will be interesting to see but most retiring skaters go to a post Olympic Worlds.

aftertherain

Record Breaker

I agree. As much as I'd like Yuna to continue through 2018, we should remember that Henje was 15 at her first Olympics, Yuna was 19--and the three-time OGM had arguably less injuries than Yuna did in her competitive career. I don't want her to end up like Plushenko is now. The sport is constantly changing, and if technical standards progress anything like that in the men's competition, I can definitely see skaters like Gracie Gold and Kaetlyn Osmond upping the standards in years to come.

oh really? I think we figured it out by looking at your pic. I think Yuna is extremely strong mentally. sHe might be the toughest ever.

Sometimes, the body can't do what the mind wants it to do. We learned that with Michelle, or don't you remember?

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
And incidentally, technically speaking, Mao has just become the first woman to land 7 triples in history.
Absolutely not.

Elaine Zayak - The reason why the Zayak rule came into being. Her 1982 program included 2Lz/3T, 3T/2Lp, a number of other 3T, and one or two 3S

Midori Ito. 88 Olympics - lutz, flip, 2 salchows, 3T/3T, and loop. 89 Worlds - 1st 3A by a lady, lutz, flip, loop, salchow, and 3T/3T

Eclair

Medalist
I never said it was "unfair". and I still don't know what you are talking about. Please don't make up stuff I didn't say.

Well pardon me if I summarized you comments: 'Korea getting 3 spots is kinda dumb. I mean, they don't really need 3 spots. They need to change the rule. '

'well if korea had another skater competing, then they wouldn't have earned 3 spots.'

and
'I am sorry but I'd rather see Russia get 3 spots than Korea.'

wrongly by stating that you find it unfair that top skaters won't be able to attend Olympics because of the spots restriction rule, while less good skaters from minor figure skating country will go.
I merely wanted to explain why I'm not your opinion, but if you don't find the issue unfair I don't get what your comments are about.

artsciboy

On the Ice
Thanks for that information!

So, to rectify my previous comment, Mao has become the third lady to do a (more or less) seven triple program with all six jumps, the last successful attempt being 22 years ago, when Mao herself was not yet born.

I can't believe we've had so many posts about this given that Mao didn't really accomplish this feat at all. She two footed the 3axel and had issues on the first flip - and I'm being charitable about the lutz. So there's no more or less about it. She simply didn't do it. Great for her for winning the medal, but let's not go over-the-top with her accomplishment here.

Mao88

Record Breaker

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
I am not blaming the Korean jr skaters at all. All I am saying is that one skater placing in the top2 earns 3 spots is weird. I am questioning the rules.

Before they changed the rules take into account the placements of the top 2 skaters per country (if the country has 2 or 3 skaters), the rule was that the countries who had a medalist could send 3 skaters the following year. In 1992, Chen Lu (China's lone entry) won bronze so China qualified 3 skaters the next year. In 1993, Oksana Baiul (Ukraine's lone entry) won gold, thus allowing Ukraine to send 3 skaters to 94 Olympics & Worlds. Of course, the country does not have to use all the entries. In 1988 East Germany could have sent 3 skaters (Katarina Witt won in 87) but only sent 2 skaters.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I find it very interesting that if Yuna Kim skated in the men's event, with the same technical score but increasing her PCS to match the men's factor of 2.00, then she would have gotten 74.73 TES + 92.00 PES = 166.73.

That's less than 3 points from Patrick's FS skate of 169.41! Isn't that crazy?!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I find it very interesting that if Yuna Kim skated in the men's event, with the same technical score but increasing her PCS to match the men's factor of 2.00, then she would have gotten 74.73 TES + 92.00 PES = 166.73.

That's less than 3 points from Patrick's FS skate of 169.41! Isn't that crazy?!

Actually it is crazy. No doubt her performance with the same scoring should have beaten Chan's LP, not been 3 points back.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Yuna: for a long time a like Mao more than Yuna. But this competition changed my mind. I absolutely admire Yuan as an athlete, but even more as an incredible person: to be able to come back to top of her game like that, doing better day after day, under such pressure. WOW!!!!
Liz & Adelina: They have great talent, but for some reason, they cannot put everything together at the senior level. With Adelina's superb quality in spins, flexibility and strength,it is a very disappointing competition for her. She is also underscored a little here.
Zijun: Great achievement. Same age as Liz and Adeline, she for the first time outperformed both. Hope she can keep this momentum going.
Akiku: It took me a while to love probably because she doesn't have the typical "pretty face." But it is her performance that moves me. I also admire her for not giving up at the age of 27 (or 28). She is also a true inspiration. Her LP this season is so dynamic and touching. Hope she mades a comeback next season.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Actually it is crazy. No doubt her performance with the same scoring should have beaten Chan's LP, not been 3 points back.

Chan kind of did two quads though, and their technical content was different. I'm not defending anything, but you have to adjust for jumps done as well.

But to PChiddy, I say this: Now THAT is how you win a World title, dammit! :popcorn: