2013 Worlds Ladies FS | Page 79 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies FS

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Thank you Kim Yuna, for bringing back JUSTICE back to this sport!

Justice? Yeah, it'll be out the window again come September/October ... just you watch.

Oh wait, I think there's a WTT this year ... we'll see it sooner than expected then.

hurrah

Medalist
1 Yuna KIM 218.31 SP 1st (BV31.63 GOE5.16)  FP 1st (BV58.22 GOE16.51)
2 Carolina KOSTNER 197.89 SP 2nd (BV29.93 GOE4.08)  FP 3rd (BV50.75 GOE10.59)
3 Mao ASADA  196.47 SP 6th (BV27.15 GOE2.55)   FP 2nd (BV62.30 GOE3.66)

I just realized that even with the missed jump and downgrades, Mao still achieved the highest base value of the three in the free program. That's just mad. Mao should just scale down on her jump content and aim to skate clean.
She should even stop practicing the triple-axel altogether, and just focus on perfecting her flip and lutz so that she can have a triple-triple combo in her short. She's already got similar GOEs to Yuna this time except the flip and lutz. As long as she can get the quality of her toe jumps up, and as long as Yuna doesn't do a loop, Mao would be able to beat her.

guanchi

On the Ice
1 Yuna KIM 218.31 SP 1st (BV31.63 GOE5.16)  FP 1st (BV58.22 GOE16.51)
2 Carolina KOSTNER 197.89 SP 2nd (BV29.93 GOE4.08)  FP 3rd (BV50.75 GOE10.59)
3 Mao ASADA  196.47 SP 6th (BV27.15 GOE2.55)   FP 2nd (BV62.30 GOE3.66)

I just realized that even with the missed jumps and downgrades, Mao still achieved the highest base value of the three in the free program. That's just mad. Mao should just scale down on her jump content and aim to skate clean.
She should even stop practicing the triple-axel altogether, and just focus on perfecting her flip and lutz so that she can have a triple-triple combo in her short. She's already got similar GOEs to Yuna this time except the flip and lutz. As long as she can get the quality of her edge jumps up, and as long as Yuna doesn't do a loop, Mao would be able to beat her.

Didn't you mean her toe jumps? Her loop has always been her strongest jump.

CarneAsada

Medalist
What benefit would Mao gain by giving up the Axel? She landed it in both programs, fully rotated, and did pretty much the same at 4CC. It was never her 3A letting her down, it was her flip and loop that betrayed her. Just like Yu-na's 3Lz-3T is less a worry for her than either the flip or Salchow, for Mao the worry is the 3-3 not the 3A.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Also as I noted earlier---the burden for one skater to get three spots is VERY hih. In fact, has any other skater managed to get three spots in the past? I honestly don't think so....

1984 worlds. The USFSA stupidly did not submit alternates for worlds. Then Rosalyn Sumners and Tiffany Chin both retired. That left Elaine Zayak as the sole US lady at Worlds. Elaine, at that time, was the third place US lady. She finished 3rd to qualify 3 women for 1985.

hurrah

Medalist
What benefit would Mao gain by giving up the Axel? She landed it in both programs, fully rotated, and did pretty much the same at 4CC. It was never her 3A letting her down, it was her flip and loop that betrayed her. Just like Yu-na's 3Lz-3T is less a worry for her than either the flip or Salchow, for Mao the worry is the 3-3 not the 3A.

We tend to think of the triple-axel as just another triple jump, but it's not. It's like a quad, and we see how with men just putting in a quad affects the rest of the program because doing one just takes so much out of them physically and mentally. So if Mao took out the triple-axel, she would have the energy to do everything else perfectly and get positive GOEs on everything. As long as her potential BV is higher than her competitors by say 3 points, and as long as she can get the equal amount of GOEs to her competitors, she would beat them.

As long as she can get her toe jumps fixed during the off season, Mao's got Yuna beat because she's got the loop, 2loop-2loop, and better step sequence and choreo spiral.

CarneAsada

Medalist
We tend to think of the triple-axel as just another triple jump, but it's not. It's like a quad, and we see how with men just putting in a quad affects the rest of the program because doing one just takes so much out of them physically and mentally. So if Mao took out the triple-axel, she would have the energy to do everything else perfectly and get positive GOEs on everything. As long as her potential BV is higher than her competitors by say 3 points, and as long as she can get the equal amount of GOEs to her competitors, she would beat them.

Not having a 3A never stopped her from popping the SP loop at nationals, or underrotating her flips early in the season. There wasn't a single problem with Mao's programs that didn't appear while she wasn't trying the 3A. The removal of the old leveled spiral sequence has done more harm to her programs than the 3A ever did.

hurrah

Medalist
Not having a 3A never stopped her from popping the SP loop at nationals, or underrotating her flips early in the season. There wasn't a single problem with Mao's programs that didn't appear while she wasn't trying the 3A. The removal of the old leveled spiral sequence has done more harm to her programs than the 3A ever did.

I just think training for the triple-axel takes up a huge chunk of her training time. If she stops putting in the triple-axel in her program, then she also has more time to perfect her flip and lutz, and there's less possibility of injury as well. The point is, Mao can't beat Yuna without a stable flip and lutz, but she doesn't need the triple-axel to beat her.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
So many skaters have tried to come back and not even make it passed Nationals. Yuna has excelled herself into a new hemisphere in the skating world tonight. To come back that strong and skate to that level was just awe inspiring. Amazing. She just lifted the roof. Every move was so clean and perfect. She is on her own level, she will be remembered in the skating world for lifetimes. I honestly did not expect to get drawn into worlds, but I thought it was a very good competition with some very exciting skating.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
I am so ecstatic!! I thought Yuna could go clean given her practices and her top physical condition this week, but to receive a score that is just two points off from her Olympic Record?! Are you kidding me?! This seems like a dream that is too good to be true, but it is real. I am opening up my best wine in the cellar to celebrate this amazing feat tonight! :clap:

quikrush

Rinkside
That was one of the greatest comebacks I have witnessed in the world of sports. Welcome back, Yuna. I missed you. I missed your seemingly effortless skating.

My favorite LP of Yuna's was Scheherazade but Les Mis succeeds the title. I was in tears. Literally.

sather

Rinkside
I also used to insist that Mao should give up on her triple axel but recently I'm not sure about it. Someone on twitter said 'Asking Mao to stop doing 3axel is like asking a pitcher who can throw 100miles/s with a lack of control to slow down the speed and concentrate on his control.' I can understand even if she never give up on her axel and cling on to such a slight chance. It's the thing that made her special in the first place and if I were in her shoes, it would feel like giving up my whole life.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
They had bad programs for starters. Alena's and Tuk's programs were pretty drab, as were their costumes. Adelina's was better, but having Christina Aguilera's background screeching didn't help. As much as I do like these Russian girls, it's like they need some experts in taste and style to come in and fix them.

ITA. Adelina has the best package among the trio. Her SP was not bad and LP could have been better. The screeching of Xtina just make me cringe. But to be honest, the 3 spot was washed down the drain after SP when both Alena and Tuk bombed big time. Had Adelina skated slightly better and rotated her jump she would have made the cut for final group, instead of Mao.

In all, Adelina looks promising and she has the package. Just needs to grown up a little more and fully rotate the jump, which pretty much cost her higher standing.

Tuk. I gotta to say, I'm pretty disappointed with her. She was way better when she burst into the scene two years ago. She was so slow and barely have any ice coverage.

CarneAsada

Medalist
I also used to insist that Mao should give up on her triple axel but recently I'm not sure about it. Someone on twitter said 'Asking Mao to stop doing 3axel is like asking a pitcher who can throw 100miles/s with a lack of control to slow down the speed and concentrate on his control.' I can understand even if she never give up on her axel and cling on to such a slight chance. It's the thing that made her special in the first place and if I were in her shoes, it would feel like giving up my whole life.

It's not even like it's a small chance. She started going for it in the last 2 competitions, rotating it fully 3 times out of 4 (some commentators would even say 4/4). Even if she 2-foots or overrotates she gets tons of points for it. The last 2 competitions have demonstrated she should absolutely go for it in her current state.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
That's impossible. She did 6 clean triples. No men has ever done only 6 triples and come close to 160.
Her GOE would tank if she competes in the men event.
Her PCS would also tank. Let's get real, her SS is not the same level at the top 6 men. Not even close.

No point comparing them. Both events have different set of rules for a reason. Men can jump and do harder tricks. Women, can't jump and most max out around 5-6 triples. 7 triples program with 2 Lutzs is pretty much gold standard.

In men, landing 6-7 triples wouldn't even cut it for top 10.

hurrah

Medalist
It's not even like it's a small chance. She started going for it in the last 2 competitions, rotating it fully 3 times out of 4 (some commentators would even say 4/4). Even if she 2-foots or overrotates she gets tons of points for it. The last 2 competitions have demonstrated she should absolutely go for it in her current state.

That's true, I guess. As long as Mao can do a triple-axel without under-rotating it, even if she double-foots it, it's worth keeping. I saw a clip of Mao's triple-axel that she did during the six-minute warmup at Worlds in slo-mo, and it was completely rotated and landed cleanly. Like it wasn't even a bit under-rotated. So, I guess it's worth the gamble.

Movements not fully extended, toes not pointed, pretty much the same facial expression throughout, not a lot of eye contact with the judges (if at all).

I don't know why, but that particular criticism of Yu-na's performance tickled me. She failed to check off the "eye-contact-with-the judges" CoP bullet. ;)

Fact is, this was a 6.0 performance, a la Michelle Kwan's Aranjuez at 2003 worlds or her Tosca at U.S. Nationals. Put on a clinic. Take care of business. Carve your mailing address into the ice so they will be sure to know where to send the check. :yes: