2013 Worlds Ladies FS | Page 86 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies FS

Lilith11

On the Ice
Sorry to jump in, but in regards to your last point, does it matter? Do we need to carry assumptions about a skater's fans whenever they say something? Or, y'know, we could just respond to each individually according to his/her words w/out previous bias and avoid generalizing terms like "Yuna fans." I'd like to think my logical reasoning facilities and capability for objectivity are functioning, thank you very much.

Lilith11

On the Ice
Yu Na's FS reminded me of 2006 Plushenko at the Olympics: Perfectly polished performances devoid of any emotion that truly deserved the medals they got.

I'm sorry you didn't feel the emotions but allow me one question: do you believe every person has the same opinion as you? Because according to the scores, the judges didn't think the same. Neither did the crowd that gave her a standing O before the program was over. I'm sorry the world doesn't comply with your opinions; tragedy innit?

Puchi

On the Ice
I'm sorry you didn't feel the emotions but allow me one question: do you believe every person has the same opinion as you?

Of course not.

Because according to the scores, the judges didn't think the same.

My opinion has nothing to do with scores

Neither did the crowd that gave her a standing O before the program was over.

I would have given a standing ovation myself had I been fortunate enough to be there. That was an impresive display of athletic ability.

I'm sorry the world doesn't comply with your opinions; tragedy innit?

I call it diversity of opinions.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I finally have watched the girls on Fuji that my timer recorded. I was very disappointed with Yuna's attitude to the event- formal and cold. Like a factory worker who came, did her shift and left. It's very rude and unprofessional. While her TES score was deservely of the paver who rode all over her rivals, her PCS once again proved that the judging is just a joke. The overdramatic face impression in both progs with absolutely no difference, that she switched on and off automatically with the music start/finish. The same awfully postured legs, knees, shoulders with no elegance and charm. What does her dress have anything to do with 19 century? It's a bought in a Halloween store costume "Mother Capulet at her daughter's funeral".

:laugh:

Mind the gap.
Mind the gap.
Keep calm and Carry on.

Would it help if you stop being brainwashed only following the Fuji broadcast but try the BBC / CBC / Universal / Eurosport / Russia Rai channels with perhaps less biased commentaries?
(Oh yeah I also enjoyed Kanako.)

I can sort of see this. But I don't think Yu-na gets treatment anywhere close to what Mao gets. After almost every one of her competitions this season, we had people saying "atrocious performance" or "queen of double loop" or "2 types of triples" while with Yu-na, we get her supporters accusing posters of being Yu-na haters when they say they don't think Yu-na deserves 10s for PCS. And then we had some posters writing ridiculous essays about the "Gray Swan" and "artistic dishonesty" in Mao's LP. Overall for Yu-na's more fervent fans there just seems to be a much bigger disconnect with reality; anything Yu-na can't do is quickly dismissed as "basic" or "easy" whether it's a triple loop or a triple Axel-double toe, and any changes that don't directly benefit Yu-na are immediately said to be from the JSF unfairly pushing Mao Asada with their billions of dollars in sponsorship money. I'd say the grumbling about Yu-na is probably a sour knee-jerk reaction to the craziness of a certain minority of her fans.

LOL... oh yeah that was me! *2 hands 2 fingers victory sign*

I happen to be a huge fan of Pauline Kael's film critiques, so I tend to adapt her passionate but blunt honest style. I am still happily stand by my ridiculous 'essay' (thank you very much for remembering. It is flattering really for. I clearly have touched a nerve somewhere).

However as much as I admire Mao, I still stand by my critique for her programs this year. They were junior and shallow. Mao's Swans clearly does not speak the music of Tchaikovsky, they were clearly the 'off the boat' variety. Exported from the land of bubbles and rainbows all still slightly dazed and confused even a few months later. Half a dozen performances later, the interpretation still unable to distinguish which colour is suppose to be from which music section, since they are neither reflected in the interpretation or the presentation. That program is choreographically half empty and the only saving grace is the step sequences. Put Liberstraume on it, is it any difference? I don't even know why people pretend to select the music or put on the costume anymore if that is all it takes. If you don't care enough about what you are suppose to be interpreting, being faithful to deliver the meaning in the music, intention of the composers then why should the audience do too? I'd say exactly the same if it is Yuna who did this program with the same type of contrived and inaccurate adaptation/interpretation.

I admit they are indeed scathing remarks, but do understand, my critique is not because I am a Yuna fan nor I am an anti (I am not - lets not get juvenile about this shall we?). Tat and Mao are 2 of superpowers of ballet on ice. It should be a match made in heaven, it should be 120% of my expectations, instead, I got 48% lukewarm version, where 30% alone are for the step sequences. I'd expect the program to be alot better, one of the best ever, a signature program i'd like to rewatch again and again. This did not happen.

I happen to be a huge fan of Hanyu and Daisuke, I raved about them and their programs last year, but I was the firsts to write their programs were artistically inferior this year regardless of results. I might not be a fan of Mao or Patrick fan, but I was the firsts to pick her Jupiter program as her best work up to date, and Patrick's Elegie that had been onlyo a gala which he used as his SP this year to establish another world record.

I also picked out Liza since the Juniors as the one likely to succeed before she was popular and entered seniors. I have placed Li Zijun above Osmond despite the massive Osmond hype and wide appreciation. I am likely continue to do to any other skaters or any programs regardless reputation or care about the general consensus or popular believe. Oh yeah I am also one of the few who really appreciate Mao's Grand Bell of Moscow even though everyone else including Mao fans appears to hate it. I guess my tastes are just very different from others (including Yuna fans), but should that stop me participating on forums? Should I lie to be popular? I hope not. Finally, I am just one voice among thousands and never expected anyone to 100% agree with me. My advice, don't think too much into what people write, and I have only ever spoke for myself and not others. Even I admit I might not get everything right all the time, but I'd like to think I still get more right than not. Heck... I have even sometimes reread back something I wrote a while ago and then disagree with it. (Blame it on the liberal education... i am a natural rebel :p)

Last edited by a moderator:

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Feeling emotional attachment to a skater's performance is such a personal, subjective thing. I hope everyone can agree on this. Therefore, I, along with other Yuna fans here, am perfectly fine with some other people's opinion that they didn't feel emotional connection to Yuna's performance at all.

But where I have big issue is they equate their lack of emotional connection to Yuna's performance as the definitive evidence that Yuna lacks artistry in her skating. That is not right.

And what is the worst is that these people are not really interested in discussing various style of artistry (e.g. exuberant, outwardly expressive style of skating v. more inward, subtle and delicate style of artistry) as much as just wanting to put a skater down in a public forum.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Both Plushenko and Yu Na have earned my respect as remarkable athletes. As for the rest of your post, I have no idea what you are talking about. Neither I have an alter username nor I have a secret agenda of any sort.

That says it all. If you don't have basic respect for honesty or others then there's no point carrying on.

vegarin

On the Ice
So...where is the line drawn? When are people honestly giving their opinion on Kim's skating and when are they just overeager to bash her when on-it's-face the criticisms are just a disagreement at worst.
I think criticisms are wonderful, and yes, Kim could obviously have given a different and even more improved performance, better to the eyes of some, because tastes can run differently, but how giving a summary judgment that her work is maybe respected and appreciated for her technicality but not loved and adored by the general public, like Virtue/Moir and other great skaters are, and dismissing the taste of her fans, and labelling anyone who loves her skating as die-hard fans, can be considered a criticism of her work. I don't think anyone likes their favorite athletes being criticized, but fair critics are appreciated, at least. Baiting the fans by saying things like, "Oh, I'm sorry I hit the nerve of Yuna fans" isn't considered criticism.

I can see her irritating some skating fans after 2011 Worlds, when she just made a token appearance and didn't really give her 100%, but even after the free...this just seems so small minded.

No matter. I guess I just now had my first fan war? Fangirl war? Is that what this is called? I've read some, but I can see how one can be so quickly riled up in this sort of thing. And I thought I was a reasonable and fair minded viewer. (You just don't know until you experience it, I guess!) Honestly, I still would've liked to see Carolina persevere after all this years and win something big (though yeah, SP was problematic), but after this, I almost feel more sorry for Yuna Kim for giving some incredible performance and still get to be told she's phoning in by some. Well, I would be sorry for her if I thought she'd care, but somehow I'm sure she doesn't. :p

Moving on to the "new" generation. Li. Wow, she was so precious! She does need to work on her speed, I thin, but her spins. So very pretty to look at, and no wonder the audience just loved her. Also Gracie she showed so much potential and I really appreciated her skate, but she's once again being heralded as the saviour of US women's skating, like Murai and others before her, and I'm a little worried. That said, she seems to have quite a bit of spunk, so I think we may see better things from her yet. And Osmond. I think it's too early to tell for her. I would dearly like Canada to have another female figure skater to root for, and she definitely has spunk in spades as well as a strong personality on ice, but she doesn't feel quite solid to me yet, like Gracie Gold did with her free. We shall see. I don't want to hang too much hope in them yet. Plus, while I know some of you want the "older" generation to move on, I think I loved watching all the skaters from the Vancouver era doing so well still. They all matured in their skating, and it's wonderful to watch.

mary01

Final Flight
Yu Na's FS reminded me of 2006 Plushenko at the Olympics: Perfectly polished performances devoid of any emotion that truly deserved the medals they got.

I truly feel the same, I really felt nothing from Yuna's skate, it just felt like an repeated act and not her sincere feelings that was displayed. There were many moment where it just felt like turn on and off, with the expressions, which is why I really don't understand her pcs scores, but my real issue is the goe she received, it really felt overly generous on everything.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
it really felt overly generous on everything.

Even her jumps? Yuna's jumps are textbook with excellent height and control on the landing. When she retires and moves on, she should still give master classes on teaching the ladies how to jump correctly in terms of entrances and rotations.

skates_lively

Rinkside
I truly feel the same, I really felt nothing from Yuna's skate, it just felt like an repeated act and not her sincere feelings that was displayed. There were many moment where it just felt like turn on and off, with the expressions, which is why I really don't understand her pcs scores, but my real issue is the goe she received, it really felt overly generous on everything.

Talking about Yuna's PCS before Mao's ? no joke.

Ambivalent

On the Ice

You wouldn't be singing the same tune if Mao and Yu-Na's scores and performances had been swapped.

I agree with what YunaBliss said earlier. Not everyone needs to like Yuna's skating, and you might find it robotic or even alienating. I thought it was magical, and it looks like the crowd agreed. What bothers me is where people suggest that Yuna's skating isn't somehow "sincere", and even lacking in artistry. This is where I draw the line. You can say that her skating isn't for you, that her reserved style doesn't draw you in, but to somehow conflate your personal tastes with an assessment of she isn't artistic, and if she is she isn't being sincere about it is wrong and just speaks of personal prejudice because your favourite, whoever that might be, didn't win.

daniel1406

Rinkside
LOL at people who said they didn't feel any emotions from Yuna's LP.

As a die hard fan of Les Mis, I have to disagree. She portrayed the characters so well. she was skating as if she were the characters. I especially liked when she skated to "on my own". She WAS Eponine! just full of expressions from her movements (her skating + body movements) with her facial expressions.

I think if Yuna didn't show any emotions, I would've got really upset that she ruined Les Mis performance because I love Les Mis. I got really mad when I watched the recent Les Mis movie.... especially when Hugh Jackman sung "Bring Him Home". it was terrible -_-

gourry

Final Flight
To me it seems several people didn't like Yuna's reaction after her LP performance. And it's kind of funny. What do you expect? Fist pumping, hopping around, kissing on the ice and crying like a baby?
She had her 'Oh my God unbelievable I did my first back to back clean performances at the important competition' moment already. In 2010.
She'd been doing clean practices all the week, and I suspect clean performances are not that rare any more for her. If she had self sureness that she could do it, and if she did what she did everyday, what's there to be overly excited?
Yuna looked relieved, peacefully content, quietly savoring the wonderful moment of her last Worlds to me. Which was very touching to me.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I skipped a few pages, so I hope this question has not been asked before...do you know what was the reaction of the Russian media concernig the fact that the the third spot for the Olympics was lost?
Rather calm actually, I mean calmer than it could be. On R-forums mostly Liza is getting blamed. Probably because she is a R-national champion, or because she is Mishin's :laugh:. Some believe the R-girls were too harshly judged as a payment for B/S bronze in Ice dancing. I have no opinion on that.
Would it help if you stop being brainwashed only following the Fuji broadcast but try the BBC / CBC / Universal / Eurosport / Russia Rai channels with perhaps less biased commentaries?
How can I help you if being brainwashed is what you are demonstrating right now? You haven't watched Fuji and yet you blame them in advance for doing something wrong against Yuna just because they are Fuji. Lol indeed. Btw, what century your TV is from? You can "shut up" the commentators by pushing the button on your remote control. Precisely one of the reason why I choose JSport&others channels. Plus the quality of TV picture cannot be compred with any online options you suggested. No, thanks. :p

verysmuchso

On the Ice
Rather calm actually, I mean calmer than it could be. On R-forums mostly Liza is getting blamed. Probably because she is a R-national champion, or because she is Mishin's :laugh:. Some believe the R-girls were too harshly judged as a payment for B/S bronze in Ice dancing. I have no opinion on that.
How can I help you if being brainwashed is what you are demonstrating right now? You haven't watched Fuji and yet you blame them in advance for doing something wrong against Yuna just because they are Fuji. Lol indeed. Btw, what century your TV is from? You can "shut up" the commentators by pushing the button on your remote control. Precisely one of the reason why I choose JSport&others channels. Plus the quality of TV picture cannot be compred with any online options you suggested. No, thanks. :p

Is this some kind of hit-and-run trolling? After having created so much bad blood with your post, you neither defend or explain your position, but sneak back later, when things quiet down, to the same thread with yellow smilies, still not addressing the verbiage that afforded you five minutes of negative fame.

I enjoyed 2013 worlds championship SO MUCH!

I loved Yuna, Kostner, Li and Gold's LP! :)

It was so much fun watching them.

I can't agree on Yuna's facial expession issue, I thought She portrayed the characters so well.

Stop hating people :)