2013 Worlds Ladies FS | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies FS

Krislite

Medalist
Here's hopefully how Yuna's LP will go in tonight's free skate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GxKmca5n8Yo (Yesterday's practice.)

She has just been so solid all week. If she can contain her nerves and maintain her focus again like Thursday, there's no reason she can't go clean and win tonight. Carolina and Mao will not have the luxury of knowing how Yuna will skate. Will that add to or relieve the pressure on them?

checo

Spectator
Hi guys!

Does anyone know of any link to watch the ladies free program?

Hola chicos!

Alguien sabe de algún link para ver el programa libre de las chicas?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't like Gracie skating first in her group. That means more skaters who could finish ahead of her.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Freeskate will be between this three, I think

1 Carolina
2 Yuna
3 Osmond

question will be how big is the gap ?

ForeverFish

Medalist
I don't like Gracie skating first in her group. That means more skaters who could finish ahead of her.

Does it make a difference across the same group, since it's not the last one (where inflation will run rampant)? In any case, she seems to skate better when she goes first--there's less pressure to deliver than if she had to take the ice after another lady skated lights-out.

ForeverFish

Medalist
My thoughts for tonight:

1. Yuna: If her practices are any indication, the FS is hers to win (but also to lose). Consistency has never been an issue with her, and she thrives under pressure, even when she skates last (which, as I understand, is not her favorite). We could be looking at our World Champion here.

2. Carolina: She needs to go clean, which didn't happen at Europeans. Her lack of 3Lz and 3F will handicap her when you consider the technical content of the other ladies in her group. I don't think the judges will hold her up again if she makes serious errors. First place is still within her reach, but only if she sells her program like we know she can and Yuna has some missteps.

3. Kanako: As lovely as she is to watch, she'll need to be technically flawless to keep her place. URs will not be her friend with this tech panel, and I'm fearing that she'll have a repeat of 4CC, where she skated very well in the SP and then got dinged with URs in the FS. I just don't see her staying where she is.

4. Kaetlyn: Despite the "inflation" scandal, I don't believe she can afford more than one mistake and make the podium with the current depth of the field. She could skate like she did at the Skate Canada Challenge, but a clean FS hasn't really been in her repertoire this season. She is undoubtedly in the top ten, which will secure 2 spots for Canada at the Olympics.

5. Ashley: What's this I hear about her landing her difficult combos? All she needs is one of her GP skates (preferably TEB), plus a 3-3 or 2A-3T. She can do it, and a medal isn't out of the question if Murakami and Osmond aren't clean. Like she said, she needs to be aggressive and get those three spots back at any cost.

6. Mao: She has a gorgeous, content-packed program--my main concern is whether or not she can land her eight triples. She was incredibly lucky to have her 3A ratified in the SP, but it's still a clearly unreliable jump for her. She'll need all of those triples to land on the podium, I'm afraid, but she's unlikely to go clean.

7. Akiko: She'll either hit or miss. She probably won't replicate her bronze medal from last year's Worlds, but she is a true joy to watch. My hope is that she stays consistent throughout her program.

8. Adelina: Please don't melt down. Please. The thought of another CoR-esque FS from her gets me shaky and cold, so I'm going to rewatch her Euros FS to stay optimistic. I hate to say it (and I hope it isn't on her mind during the skate), but she is the only one who can pull the Russian ladies back into three-spot territory. She'll need to be absolutely clean to have any chance of moving up.

9. Gracie: This would be the time to skate a US Nationals FS. She won't score big in PCS (60 would be pushing it), but her TES could easily be the highest of the night if she does what we've seen her do. She's skating first on smooth ice, which is a benefit, and from what I can tell, she and Ashley are hell-bent on getting those three spots back. They're so, so close. It all comes down to tonight.

12. Zijun: Okay, one question: Where the hell is she pulling her strength from?! Seriously, I want to take her out for McDonald's. But, in all honesty, she may overtake Viktoria after the FS. It all depends on if she can deliver, especially with her technical content.

13. Alena: I think she'll be staying around the same area. Personally, even with the jump errors, I felt that her score for the SP was too low. But the judges seem to be overlooking her now, and in the extremely unlikely event that she skates clean, she'll probably still be dinged for jump "mistakes." She isn't going to be Russia's savior this time around.

14. Elizaveta: Oh, Liza. I'm probably looking forward to her FS more than anyone else's. In all honesty, even clean (which we've seen her do), it'll be a tall order to crack the top ten unless Akiko, Adelina, or Gracie mess up big-time. She needs to keep her head down and do what she's capable of, because worrying about Russia's three spots will doom her.

xabia

On the Ice
Ravel's Bolero

Here is how i see the top 5 faring:
Barring a major catastrophe, I think this is pretty much a lock for Yuna. Caro will probably skate well - she seems happy with this FS. I hope she does skate well - it really is a lovely program (even though it is my least favorite piece of Ravel's). Murakami is unpredictable, so Mao may make a charge and replace her in the standings. Love Mao's FS. Practice reports say that Osmond is consistently landing her 3Lz-3T. Is this a change to her program? If so, then a clean skate could put her in medal contention - that'd be really cool to see! And as for Wagner, as much as I am rooting for her, I can't help but feel that her FS lacks that X factor that could push her from 5th to the podium.

There's nothing wrong with Ravel's Bolero, it's just the horrid arrangements that skaters use, starting with Torvill & Dean, then S/S (I had to turn the sound off), and now Kostner. Listen to the full orchestral version - it's a masterpiece!

xabia

On the Ice

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Skate Canada is aiming for triple gold from Chan, Osmond and V/M. Now that they got one, I'm sure the remaining two will get with major inflation.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Skate Canada is aiming for triple gold from Chan, Osmond and V/M. Now that they got one, I'm sure the remaining two will get with major inflation.

If D/W make some tiny bobbles V/M will win Gold
Osmond will not win gold ( there is Yuna, Carolina ) but is likely a bronze lock

tulosai

Record Breaker
I don't "agree". I don't think she will medal. She might if she skates clean, and everyone doesn't deliver to their potential.

I don't agree either. I think podium for Osmond, while a possibility, is extremely unlikely and would require a lot of help from others.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Osmond skating with minimal errors will recieve a HIGHER PCS than Suzuki, Wagner, Murakami
Kanako is not a good FS and will b dinged by UR's.

the closest locks for a podium are Yuna, Carolina and Osmond
If Chan can medal with multiple falls, why it wont be possible for Osmond who is skating in home ice too ? :confused:

I'm going to go on the record as saying I expect both Ashley W. And Akiko S. to receive higher PCS than Osmond.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I'm going to go on the record as saying I expect both Ashley W. And Akiko S. to receive higher PCS than Osmond.

except Osmond is skating in the last Group, No way will she get a lower PCS than Murakami, Ashley or Akiko

katia

On the Ice
.It is strange American and Russian ladies can aim for gold (they are young, therefore they have energy to get it) Canadian lady can not even aim to be in the first 10 (she is young, therefore should stay in her place and look at her betters - Americans and Russians).

jfdw

Rinkside
I agree. I do not think Osmond will medal. If she does she will have to get a lot of help from other skaters. I think she has done well to place where she is in her first World's. So far she has handled the pressure. The LP is a longer time and more time to make errors. If she hits the top five it should be a dream come true. If she remains in the top 10 good for her. So far she is enjoying the moment and doing well at the same time. I hope she keeps that wonderful smile on her face all through the long. She has made Canada proud and I hope it continues to-day for her.

jfdw

aero

On the Ice
"Don't be afraid to give up the good and go for the great."

Ashley posted this on her twitter. I guess this means we can look forward to either a 3-3 or a 2A-3T.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I don't agree either. I think podium for Osmond, while a possibility, is extremely unlikely and would require a lot of help from others.

Ashley is one point back. In the SP, both skate clean, Osmond win. In the LP, both skate clean, Osmond will win. Remember, there's the point deficit.
Akiko is 2-3 points back. In the LP, both skate clean, Osmond will still win. If Akiko makes any mistake in the LP, she's off the podium.
Kanako will have at least 3 URs and stay in 6th or 5th.

At this point, Osmond doesn't need any help from any other girls. She just have to be clean. If she's clean, there's no way Ashley or Akiko can beat her, given clean Ashley can't beat clean Osmond in the SP, and Akiko has bigger deficit to cover.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Ashley is one point back. In the SP, both skate clean, Osmond win. In the LP, both skate clean, Osmond will win. Remember, there's the point deficit.
Akiko is 2-3 points back. In the LP, both skate clean, Osmond will still win. If Akiko makes any mistake in the LP, she's off the podium.
Kanako will have at least 3 URs and stay in 6th or 5th.

At this point, Osmond doesn't need any help from any other girls. She just have to be clean. If she's clean, there's no way Ashley or Akiko can beat her, given clean Ashley can't beat clean Osmond in the SP, and Akiko has bigger deficit to cover.

exactly, a clean Osmond WILL beat a Clean Ashley and Akiko

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I think a clean Akiko might beat a clean Osmond in the LP, but not enough to make up the deficit in the SP.
A clean Ashley will not beat a clean Osmond, just like in the SP.

The real question is can Osmond skate clean?

Osmond can't catch Kostner and Yuna. Kostner has 1 fall + 1 step out advantage over Osmond in the SP.
In the LP, more elements, PCS doubled, etc... Kostner should extend that to at least 2 falls + 1 step out advantage over her. On top of the deficit from the SP, I'd say Kostner is locked for at least silver. Yuna is also locked for at least silver.