2013 Worlds Ladies FS | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies FS

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
But why do you say that Kaetlyn's already at a disadvantage? The crowd cheers louder for her than for anyone else.

ITA, this will give Osmond a huge boost and could propel her for silver or bronze medal,

but I have this cringe with the audience and really disturbing
They only cheer and clap when its from their countrymen, terrible audience

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
It's not terrible. Geez. Haven't you ever heard of "root, root, root for the home team, if they lose it's a shame"? There is nothing wrong with some national bias. And to say they're not clapping for other teams is just silly. Even over the TV you can hear loads of clapping and cheers. Of course it's not as loud as for the home team. It doesn't work that way. I'm sure there are plenty of people in the audience who know the Canadians personally. They'd cheer for their loved ones the loudest no matter what.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
It's not terrible. Geez. Haven't you ever heard of "root, root, root for the home team, if they lose it's a shame"? There is nothing wrong with some national bias. And to say they're not clapping for other teams is just silly. Even over the TV you can hear loads of clapping and cheers. Of course it's not as loud as for the home team. It doesn't work that way. I'm sure there are plenty of people in the audience who know the Canadians personally. They'd cheer for their loved ones the loudest no matter what.

Im not saying its wrong to cheer for your country of course you should
but you should also provide support/cheers for other skaters even if its not from your country
some of the skaters when they skated the audience was deathly silent that all was missing was getting a cricket to make a noise

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
There is nothing wrong with some national bias.

Actually there is.

Nobody with a brain should really care about where someone is born in this day and age. It's all one World and we are all sitting here connected to each other.

Let's try to have biases that actually mean something.

Then again, you might as well clap clap clap the hardest for those who also live up in that frozen wasteland called Canada. Lord knows you people need to generate heat somehow.

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
Actually there is.

Nobody with a brain should really care about where someone is born in this day and age. It's all one World and we are all sitting here connected to each other.

Let's try to have biases that actually mean something.

Then again, you might as well clap clap clap the hardest for those who also live up in that frozen wasteland called Canada. Lord knows you people need to generate heat somehow.

In life I would agree with you. But this is a sport. So yeah, I don't see the problem with national bias.

And yeah, it's freezing! Don't begrudge us this chance to get warm! :p

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Well I'm glad you saw my humor.

I think in sports the National bias is still pointless, though. If 5 cakes are delivered to your door and you have a slice of each, are you going to especially praise the slice that didn't taste the best just because it was delivered from somewhere in town that you go shopping at frequently? Why do we need to hold up people from our own country above others, just because they are from out country? That is in fact what has caused so many problems in human history. Why not clap for a skater purely based upon who they are as a person/competitor/entertainer? Clap for Megan Duhamel because you love that she is a vegetarian, or something, not because she lives in Canada.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

I think in sports the National bias is still pointless, though. If 5 cakes are delivered to your door and you have a slice of each, are you going to especially praise the slice that didn't taste the best just because it was delivered from somewhere in town that you go shopping at frequently? Why do we need to hold up people from our own country above others, just because they are from out country? That is in fact what has caused so many problems in human history. Why not clap for a skater purely based upon who they are as a person/competitor/entertainer? Clap for Megan Duhamel because you love that she is a vegetarian, or something, not because she lives in Canada.

Do you support local business above big chains? Do you try to engage in the local arts scene? Canada has pretty strict Canadian content laws (certain percentage of book stores must be Canadian authors, etc). Do you believe that that is wrong? I don't think you're wrong, Blades, but I do think you're being a bit reductive.

millie

Medalist
I am Canadian and most of my favourite skaters are Americans. Sasha was my favourite of all time...I even liked Tanya until the episode with Nancy. Canada hasn't produced any good skaters in recent years..Joanne was a favourite. Elizabeth Manley was another skater that represented our country well. Now that we have Kaetlyn Osmond hailing from Newfoundland, my home province, you know that she is going to be our favouite. I love to watch and cheer for skaters from other countries also.....Everyone has a favourite that they like to so well and win..

Krislite

Medalist
All eyes will be on the judging/scoring for the ladies competition tomorrow. I don't think there'll be any surprises as to who has the biggest PCS cushion from multiple falls.

Fruit Loops

On the Ice

Well, I would clap for a skater from another country if I had a chance to attend worlds and I do have personal favourites from other countries as well. Talent is talent, after all. Mainly I was just pointing out it's not really that big of a crime against humanity for a particular audience to prefer their hometown "heros". ;) I don't even know how seriously people take it. I like the idea of cheering for my Canadian team. Doesn't mean I think they DESERVE to win. I just like to root for them. I like to be proud of my country. It's fun. I guess I'm just not able to get worked up over sports enough to philosophize over-much about who I cheer for and why.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I am Canadian and most of my favourite skaters are Americans. Sasha was my favourite of all time...I even liked Tanya until the episode with Nancy. Canada hasn't produced any good skaters in recent years..Joanne was a favourite. Elizabeth Manley was another skater that represented our country well. Now that we have Kaetlyn Osmond hailing from Newfoundland, my home province, you know that she is going to be our favouite. I love to watch and cheer for skaters from other countries also.....Everyone has a favourite that they like to so well and win..

:)

Osmond has never skated a clean FS in international competition.

Osmond is only sixteen. I mean, c'mon--how many times have Carolina, Yuna, and Mao really skated a clean FS in international competition? Very little.

Aaaaand we used to rag on Sasha for imperfect long programs. *sighs* :no:

Krislite

Medalist
Ugh! Don't say that!

I don't want a repeat of the Men. Please skate gods! Don't let a crappy LP medal or win worlds! :disagree:

Yuna is going last, so it's actually going to be suspenseful until the very end. Unlike the men's where you know it's over after Chan's second jumping pass.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Never say never. She is still young. And Worlds is Canada.

exactly, the key here is home ground inflation

If Can can win with multiple falls, I can't see how Osmond even with falls cannot podium, she will have a PCS cushion skating in the last group
will get 130+ LP score if she is clean

wallylutz

Medalist
All eyes will be on the judging/scoring for the ladies competition tomorrow. I don't think there'll be any surprises as to who has the biggest PCS cushion from multiple falls.

Indeed, the lady in your avatar wins that hands down. :laugh:

Therefore, to compensate for what happened tonight in the men's event. Both the Queen and the current queen of the world shall have their mistakes penalized by a factor of 10 to avoid a repeat of the men's event. ;)

aftertherain

Record Breaker
exactly, the key here is home ground inflation

If Can can win with multiple falls, I can't see how Osmond even with falls cannot podium, she will have a PCS cushion skating in the last group
will get 130+ LP score if she is clean

Canadian conspiracy again? How would you explain D/R's medal in pairs'? Home-grown inflation? No, they won that medal fair and square--and deservedly so.

Kaetlyn (#4) skated a fantastic SP--she sold the hell out of that program and scored above Ashley (#5), who didn't have a 3-3, did a 3Lo for her single triple, and skated tentatively. #6-9 in the SP had definite noticeable flaws in their jumps. As for the LP, don't count your chickens before they hatch. There are a number of factors that could happen that would place Kaetlyn on or off the podium--without home-grown inflation.

Krislite

Medalist
Indeed, the lady in your avatar wins that hands down. :laugh:

Therefore, to compensate for what happened tonight in the men's event. Both the Queen and the current queen of the world shall have their mistakes penalized by a factor of 10 to avoid a repeat of the men's event. ;)

Uh you forget Yuna did NOT win the PCS marks in the SP. One particular lady fell on her butt like Patrick Chan and still had higher PCS than Yuna in all components.