Page 102 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 1854

Thread: 2013 Worlds Ladies FS

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    I think we're forgetting that one of the big ideals of the Olympics is the "taking part" even if there's no real chance to win.
    I am not talking about ones who can win medals. None of the Russian ladies are good enough to win medals, and honestly I dont think a single one of them has a chance at a medal at the Games next year at this point. However they still have numerous that are Olympic caliber, which is different than Olympic medal caliber. Obviously with any field someone will come dead last in a large field of competitors, and obviously someone who comes in 40th place was not a medal contender. However it would be nice if whoever that is were still an Olympic caliber athlete, which as things are now there are too many that arent.

Rinkside
    I could have said it better. Thanks for this amazing site, all your efforts and making it free! :o)

Quote Originally Posted by Kissx3 View Post
    There are currently 1413 users online. 200 members and 1213 guests
    Most users ever online was 1,415, Today at 11:10 PM.

^
    Also, congratulations to the site owner for creating such a fabulous hub for figure skating fans. Thank you for upgrading your servers (no crashes at all! !), thank you for keeping it free and open as it obviously isn't free for you. I'm not sure where to post this so I hope you're reading lol

whatever happened to Suzuki anyway? She is so inconsistent this season. I am afraid she might not make the Olympic team.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I am not following your question.
    Okay let me be more clear. You explained that you think it's unfair that top skaters wouldn't be allowed to compete at Olympics because of the 2-3 spots restrinction of their country, while lesser skaters are able to compete there and therefore you complained about Kim winning 3 spots for Korea.
    I found this view inapproriate and explained that Kim won them faire and square, everyone had the same chances of doing so and this principle of restricled spots also apply for World championships, since very good skaters from e.g. Japan won't have a chance to go there while less good skaters from countries were figure skating is not similarily popular are able to attend. Now I asked, if it bothers you so much for the Olympics, does this rule bother you for Words too? And if yes, what you would change? The only possibility for seeing only the best regardless of nationality is to only take the best and exclude the less good skaters from minor figure skating countries. I wouldn't want that because it would take away the diversity and would end up excluding minor figure skating countries completely. Not to mention to take away any chance of them developing a decent skater. So no, I don't believe any other country deserves more spots at Sochi instead of Korea, becuase it has been won faire and square.

Tripping on the Podium
    whatever happened to Suzuki anyway? She is so inconsistent this season. I am afraid she might not make the Olympic team.
    That's what I would like to know. She's one of my favorite figure skaters of all time, and she looked pretty good at FCC which wasn't that long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    That's what I would like to know. She's one of my favorite figure skaters of all time, and she looked pretty good at FCC which wasn't that long ago.
    She apparently wasn't good at Japanese Nationals though, although I didn't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Well the Worlds are right after the Games and going to the 2010 Worlds was much harder for her than anything I am sure, so why wouldnt she atleast go to the 2014 Worlds only a month later. I also think the allure of competing at an Olympics at home, and possibly trying to match Henjie's feat of 3 straight Golds (if she wins in Sochi, which is obviously a good chance) would be too much to pass up, but that is less certain.
    I'm a huge Yuna fan, but even I don't believe she has a superhuman body and boundless motivation. She'll be 27 by 2018. It's doubtful her body will allow her, and let's not even talk of motivation. It took a long time of soul-searching after Vancouver before she regained her competitive fire. After Sochi, I can't imagine her wanting to go for it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclair View Post
    Okay let me be more clear. You explained that you think it's unfair that top skaters wouldn't be allowed to compete at Olympics because of the 2-3 spots restrinction of their country, while lesser skaters are able to compete there and therefore you complained about Kim winning 3 spots for Korea.
    I found this view inapproriate and explained that Kim won them faire and square, everyone had the same chances of doing so and this principle of restricled spots also apply for World championships, since very good skaters from e.g. Japan won't have a chance to go there while less good skaters from countries were figure skating is not similarily popular are able to attend. Now I asked, if it bothers you so much for the Olympics, does this rule bother you for Words too? And if yes, what you would change? The only possibility for seeing only the best regardless of nationality is to only take the best and exclude the less good skaters from minor figure skating countries. I wouldn't want that because it would take away the diversity and would end up excluding minor figure skating countries completely. Not to mention to take away any chance of them developing a decent skater. So no, I don't believe any other country deserves more spots at Sochi instead of Korea, becuase it has been won faire and square.
    I never said it was "unfair". and I still don't know what you are talking about. Please don't make up stuff I didn't say.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    The Russian girls had every opportunity and all the talent in the world to win three spots, but they squandered it.
    Yup, we Americans are FAR too familiar with this feeling...honestly, though, Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva weren't bad - top 10 in debut is pretty good...but this was a really deep field and they sealed their fate by being so far back in the SP...

Medalist
    http://asia.eurosport.com/figure-ska...95/story.shtml

"I have been in the worlds since 2007 and I have both good and bad memories," said Kim. "I had feeling this could be my last world championships and because I delivered good results, I am very happy."

Maybe this is why Yu-na seemed very quiet and didn't smile very much after the performance and winning the title. Thinking that this will be her last world championship, maybe she seemed "too(?!)" calm and contemplative for a person who just won a world title.

I'm a huge Yuna fan, but even I don't believe she has a superhuman body and boundless motivation. She'll be 27 by 2018. It's doubtful her body will allow her, and let's not even talk of motivation. It took a long time of soul-searching after Vancouver before she regained her competitive fire. After Sochi, I can't imagine her wanting to go for it again.
    oh really? I think we figured it out by looking at your pic. I think Yuna is extremely strong mentally. sHe might be the toughest ever.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    I'm a little weary of the teeth-gnashing concerning the Russians only getting two spots for next year.

The fact is that they sent two promising young skaters and last year's over-achiever who has had a bad run. But all season long, people have looked to these girls like they are the second coming of Sonja Henie. The fact is they were WAY overhyped in relation to their talent and experience.

Yep, they're good. One day, they may even be great. But a perfectly respectable WC debut in the Top 10 should not be cause for weeping and wailing.

Give them some TIME to learn from this experience and to grow from it, and quit acting like they've disgraced their nation when they actually did quite well.

Remember Tara Lipinski was 13th in her WC debut. The next year, she won. The year after that, she was OGM.

Custom Title
    She said could, not was, which suggests she atleast might go to the post Olympic Worlds. Will be interesting to see but most retiring skaters go to a post Olympic Worlds.

I agree. As much as I'd like Yuna to continue through 2018, we should remember that Henje was 15 at her first Olympics, Yuna was 19--and the three-time OGM had arguably less injuries than Yuna did in her competitive career. I don't want her to end up like Plushenko is now. The sport is constantly changing, and if technical standards progress anything like that in the men's competition, I can definitely see skaters like Gracie Gold and Kaetlyn Osmond upping the standards in years to come.

oh really? I think we figured it out by looking at your pic. I think Yuna is extremely strong mentally. sHe might be the toughest ever.
    Sometimes, the body can't do what the mind wants it to do. We learned that with Michelle, or don't you remember?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    And incidentally, technically speaking, Mao has just become the first woman to land 7 triples in history.
    Absolutely not.

Elaine Zayak - The reason why the Zayak rule came into being. Her 1982 program included 2Lz/3T, 3T/2Lp, a number of other 3T, and one or two 3S

Midori Ito. 88 Olympics - lutz, flip, 2 salchows, 3T/3T, and loop. 89 Worlds - 1st 3A by a lady, lutz, flip, loop, salchow, and 3T/3T

Page 102 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 ... LastLast