Page 120 of 124 FirstFirst ... 20 70 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 1854

Thread: 2013 Worlds Ladies FS

Rinkside

agree

Quote Originally Posted by Melon View Post
    Rather than trying to fix, and fall on a jump, it's safe to just jump a flip and say you were "trying" to execute lutz.
    This is what I thought too. Scoring system is kinda strange really. Skaters can just pretend they were trying~, and get some points.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Ramblings on Liszt's "German-ness"
    It's not even that I necessarily disagree with the stuff you say; it's that you get over half your facts wrong that makes me go . But I suppose we are getting off topic. Oh well, we will have to continue this lovely chat somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Where to start? Once again you are exaggerating and misconstruing several posts all once. Write multiple paragraphs is wrong, summarise too little is wrong. I do wish you make your mind up so at least you can be 50% less aggravated and I can be 50% happier. Fair? :P Take my “artistically dishonest” criticism of the Swan lake program for example; I am referring specifically to the creative decisions not to make references to black swan or white swans when specific black/white music sections were being performed. It is basic 101. It IS Swan Lake! Black and White swans are integral part of the story. (Imagine skating to Carmen as a catholic school girl. You get me?) It seems obvious. You do white swan, you act like white swan, you skate to black swan you skate like a black swan. What is so hard to understand? To continue to ignore the obvious through lack of care is lazy and ignorant. It is artistic truancy which one simply don’t expect from the world’s bests. Can you honestly be surprised someone will have something negative to say? I don’t know where you come up with all the other stuff from that are completely unrelated to original point that was made. Sounds like you have some unresolved pend up feelings, I suggest you go and watch some more Mary Poppins to calm yourself down and do some singalongs ♫ One spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down.. medicine go down- ohhh medicine go down~~
    I still see nothing wrong with aiming to skate to the music itself instead of trying to reenact each scene of Swan Lake. And unless you can actually say what you would look for when watching a Swan Lake program, there's no point continuing this discussion either. A pity, I was having such fun .

Banned
    I wonder if Kanako should think long term and work on fixing her jump technique now, even if it means sacrificing her chances for a higher placing in Sochi (where most seem to agree her medal chances are minscule inpite of being 4th at the pre Olympic Worlds). That would give her a bigger head start on having mastered an improved jump technique by the time of the 2015 Worlds. She should make the Japanese Olympic team for sure even if she takes a step back next year.

Os168 and CarneAsada, may I jump in here? I want someone to skate to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H99FM6S8rU#t=5m15s
    Last edited by Mathman; 03-22-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    I still see nothing wrong with aiming to skate to the music itself instead of trying to reenact each scene of Swan Lake. And unless you can actually say what you would look for when watching a Swan Lake program, there's no point continuing this discussion either. A pity, I was having such fun .
    I agree. If a skater wants to reenact certain parts of the movie, then by all means do so, but I think there's nothing wrong with going for a less literal interpretation of the music.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

Yes! Kanako should do that. And Gracie Gold could march to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep0tWVn3Yjw

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

Akiko Suzuki's SP was that last year!

Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    Yes! Kanako should do that. And Gracie Gold could march to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep0tWVn3Yjw

Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    Akiko Suzuki's SP was that last year!
    Thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLd-jePb_vs#t=2m48s

I love this sport!

Yuna throwing some punches backstage right before she took the ice in the LP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=fU-HSaMoeqI

Apparently that's how she gets pumped up before a skate.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Colanboy View Post
    I agree. If a skater wants to reenact certain parts of the movie, then by all means do so, but I think there's nothing wrong with going for a less literal interpretation of the music.
    Oh there's nothing wrong with going with less literal interpretation of the music - if the creative decision is to be doing something else instead. However, going for a less literal interpretation and ignore interpreting are quite different things. Then again, judges don't seem to care about things like artistic values beyond the basic. I just expect the world's bests to do a little bit better than that. Potentially the golden trinity of Tchaikovsky, Grand Russian Dame Tat, Mao should able able to produce Russian Ballet skating at its most glorious. Otherwise who else in this day would able to meet this task? I have already praised its step sequence at first impression but would like to do the same to the rest of the the program as well. As much flack as Tat has been getting, her work at her best is still head and shoulder above others even if it is not necessarily the most COP friendly. Theoretically this program should blow out Patrick's Elegie out of water, but it is not even close.

In anycase I don't want to nitpick this any longer because I do like Mao and admire her 8 triples ambition. She had tough 2 years and it is good to see her back on the podium again. Having Yuna and Mao in the competition will be very good for each other and the rest of the field. Just look at the upgraded field this year compare to last 2 once Yuna has returned. All three on the podium are all lovely ladies. I get WAFFY (Warm and Fuzzy Feeling) when I saw them congratulate each other and joking around behind back stage. I am looking forward to see the upgraded version next year! This is getting super exciting!!

Having Akiko messed up badly at this WC is going to boost Kanako's placement in the view of JSF. That and the possibility Mao may or may not retire after Sochi (depends on her result?) I don't expect Kanako will get the Hanyu treatment next year in terms of PCS, but she will certainly be Japan's No.2 lady (unless Miki returns).

Banned
    Has anyone else noticed that Mao isn't the best interpreter of her music? She seems to always front-load her long programs with lots of difficult jumping passes (that she rarely skates cleanly) and almost zero choreography and then she sort of skates through the second half on auto-pilot on her way to an impressive footwork sequence. She's obviously a gifted skater, but something about the construction of her programs along with the way she skates them always keeps me at a distance. Anyone else agree?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bump View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that Mao isn't the best interpreter of her music? She seems to always front-load her long programs with lots of difficult jumping passes (that she rarely skates cleanly) and almost zero choreography and then she sort of skates through the second half on auto-pilot on her way to an impressive footwork sequence. She's obviously a gifted skater, but something about the construction of her programs along with the way she skates them always keeps me at a distance. Anyone else agree?
    Not I. In fact, I think Mao interprets her music beautifully.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chloepoco View Post
    Not I. In fact, I think Mao interprets her music beautifully.
    Please explain why. Otherwise, you just sound like a Mao fan.

Mao fans are welcome to post on Golden Skate. Yu-na fans, too.

I agree with the first part of your assessment of Mao's long program, but not the second. The the first minute is reserved for a couple of difficult jumping passes (on which she is often not very successful) and not much else.

But after the first minute she starts to turn on the performance/choreography. Far from autopilot, to me the performance grows steadily to a crescendo capped by the rousing footwork sequence.

Custom Title
    Uh, is there anything wrong with being a Mao fan? I'm also a fan of Yuna, Kanako, Akiko and Caroline, among others.

Page 120 of 124 FirstFirst ... 20 70 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 LastLast