Page 122 of 124 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 LastLast
Results 1,816 to 1,830 of 1854

Thread: 2013 Worlds Ladies FS

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    It's not a "steadier" thing at that level, they are using the outside edge to generate power. Because the flip generally takes off from a near-flat back inside edge, some skaters flip the edge over to an outer as the generate more power on the pick and are using the soon-to-be free leg to assist in the explosive lift off. Often times, the lip is a lot less pronounced than the flutz because it's MUCH more slight versus releasing the counter rotation in the upper body too soon to make the take off easier.
    In women's, you get a lot of women who already started turning into the jump with their left foot because they don't vault as high and rely on rotation... they pick in and then rotate very quickly, Cohen/Asada/Murakami. Often it results in a 3-turn to RBI, then a slight shift to RBO, and then starting the rotation on a RBI -- so because of many women using this technique, there's less lipping. And then you get skaters like Kostner and Rochette who go into their flips with excellent speed and get a great vault up straight from the 3-turn, like the men. They don't ride the RB edge and the 3-turn is part of the rotation going into the jump. It's almost like they're just doing a 3S but with a pick (hence why it's occasionally called the toe-salchow).

Custom Title
    I know that nobody really talks about the skaters outside of the top 10, but I was looking back at more skaters, and noticed Natalia Popova (UKR) actually skated a clean SP (3F, 3T-2T, 2A) and clean FS with 6 triples (3F, 3L, 3T-2T-2T, 3T-2T, 3S-2T, 3S, 2A). Not the hardest jump layout and certainly needs to be more graceful and refined, but she was the only lady other than Kim to have two clean back-to-back performances, so kudos to her.

Unfortunate though that two clean skates was only good enough for 15th, considering the mistakes made by those placed above her.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I know that nobody really talks about the skaters outside of the top 10, but I was looking back at more skaters, and noticed Natalia Popova (UKR) actually skated a clean SP (3F, 3T-2T, 2A) and clean FS with 6 triples (3F, 3L, 3T-2T-2T, 3T-2T, 3S-2T, 3S, 2A). Not the hardest jump layout and certainly needs to be more graceful and refined, but she was the only lady other than Kim to have two clean back-to-back performances, so kudos to her.

Unfortunate though that two clean skates was only good enough for 15th, considering the mistakes made by those placed above her.
    I saw her at Euros, and I have always loved her style and her technique! I think that she needs to work a lot on her speed, though: even at euros (there were a lot more low-level skaters) she looked one of the slowest on the ice...

Custom Title
    http://fsrussia.ru/news/518_yu-na-ki...ova--13-aya--/

Russian fed's interview with Tuktamysheva(or is it Mishin?). Are they saying that Tuktamysheva's goal for this Worlds was to place over Yuna?!

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    ^^^ This was an absurd goal.

There seemed to be a lot of over-the-top expectations for the Russian ladies this season. They are talented and have promising futures, but I think the "crowning" was a bit premature. Two of their ladies had solid Top 10 World Championship debuts, and, yet, it was seen as a very poor outing for them.

I think this is unfair. Yes, they had done well at Europeans, but that field did not include Yuna, the powerful Japanese contingent, or the North Americans. The expectations placed on these skaters had to have been immense, and I think it showed in their performances. Their mistakes seemed to be caused by nerves rather than poor technique.

I contrast this with Gracie Gold, who, although we hoped would do well, did not skate with the same weight of expectations. She performed beyond the rational hopes of most observers.

I think most contributors here thought the US would most likely continue on trend and earn two Olympic spots, while the Russians were expected to earn three... in at least one thread, it was a given that Russia would have three, and at least one would be fighting for a podium spot.

I think this was a disservice to these young athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by vera01 View Post
    http://fsrussia.ru/news/518_yu-na-ki...ova--13-aya--/

Russian fed's interview with Tuktamysheva(or is it Mishin?). Are they saying that Tuktamysheva's goal for this Worlds was to place over Yuna?!
    I can't imagine Tukt having set that kind of goal for herself, but if Mishin was expecting her to beat Yuna, then 1) he's crazy and 2) no wonder she did rather poorly relative to expectations.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    I can't imagine Tukt having set that kind of goal for herself, but if Mishin was expecting her to beat Yuna, then 1) he's crazy and 2) no wonder she did rather poorly relative to expectations.
    Mishin alwas tells not that he thinks, but that (as he thinks) is better to tell.
    It is not so good.
    But he prefers to show himself crazy, but not to harm his skaters. It is good, I believe.

Custom Title
    Au contraire. I think people mistake her musicality in the first half as lax and non-existent because it's not overtly emotive. Ballet really is more about arm movements and lyricism and not necessarily about facial expressions (just think if you are watching it live, you see the movements not the 'acting'. As far as interpreting the music, Mao's playing the part of Odette...she's introverted and for the most part- always ponderous and shy. And then of course you see the contrast in the second half of the program with the Coda section, which overall offers a great balance of light and shade.

This tends to be the case with most of her programs but her musicality is better seen in her exhibitions. Chopin's Ballade, Jupiter, Por Una...the list goes on. Tat's choice sometimes can be a little too grandiose like her Vancouver programs and she can't really play into it as much as maybe Kim playing a Bond Girl or some generic typecast Carmen. Asada tends to be more attuned to just moving with the music and it's much more highlighted in contrast to the others who may be skating to soundtracks, etc. That's just my opinion of course

Quote Originally Posted by TheCzar View Post
    Au contraire. I think people mistake her musicality in the first half as lax and non-existent because it's not overtly emotive. Ballet really is more about arm movements and lyricism and not necessarily about facial expressions (just think if you are watching it live, you see the movements not the 'acting'. As far as interpreting the music, Mao's playing the part of Odette...she's introverted and for the most part- always ponderous and shy. And then of course you see the contrast in the second half of the program with the Coda section, which overall offers a great balance of light and shade.

This tends to be the case with most of her programs but her musicality is better seen in her exhibitions. Chopin's Ballade, Jupiter, Por Una...the list goes on. Tat's choice sometimes can be a little too grandiose like her Vancouver programs and she can't really play into it as much as maybe Kim playing a Bond Girl or some generic typecast Carmen. Asada tends to be more attuned to just moving with the music and it's much more highlighted in contrast to the others who may be skating to soundtracks, etc. That's just my opinion of course
    Welcome!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCzar View Post

TheCzar, Welcome to GoldenSkate! Post long & often!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    TheCzar, Welcome to GoldenSkate! Post long & often!
    Thank you!

~high art~
    I'm not an expert, but I think Carolina should do the same 3-3 in the SP and the FS.

Her 3T+3T was so obviously URed that I don't understand how she managed to get credit for it. 3F+3T was rotated, but almost a quarter short of rotation. Maybe attempting the same combo will help her focus and, thus the consistency.

Kwan's vodka dealer VIETgrlTerifa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    I'm not an expert, but I think Carolina should do the same 3-3 in the SP and the FS.

Her 3T+3T was so obviously URed that I don't understand how she managed to get credit for it. 3F+3T was rotated, but almost a quarter short of rotation. Maybe attempting the same combo will help her focus and, thus the consistency.
    Great idea!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    I believe that is her plan for the upcoming season. She hasn't done 3f3t in competition since Worlds 2010 (and even before that, she hadn't done it almost the entire 2009/2010 season), so re-introducing it was a big challenge for her I guess. I think they just wanted to play it save in the short program to still do 3t3t and slowly get her used to the 3f3t again in the FP. Ironically, it didn't help her this season as she fell on the 3t3t in both Europeans and Worlds, but landed her 3f3t successfully both times she attempted it at Challenge Cup and Worlds.

I strongly believe this was her preparation to re-introduce 3f3t into the SP. I also saw her successfully practice 3lz3t and 3sal3t this season so she is basically able to add the 3t to any jump.

Custom Title
    I think the 3T-3T in the FS wouldn't make sense since it makes more sense to save her repeated jumps for her 3S and 3L in her FS. And her consistency of the 3-3 in the SP has been pretty bad this season, but at least she continues to go for it. I think it would make more sense for Kostner to go for 3F-2T in the SP come Olympics time, if she wants to have a shot at securing silver. She should realise that even with a perfect 3Z-3T/2F/2A Yu Na, and a fall on her 3-3, she was still only 3 points shy of her after the SP. Makes more sense for her to go clean and guarantee a medal. You can bet that Gracie, Liza and Sotnikova will be more consistent by Sochi in the SP/LP so Kostner can't really afford the errors.

Page 122 of 124 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 LastLast