Page 4 of 124 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 54 104 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 1854

Thread: 2013 Worlds Ladies FS

  1. #46
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    4,026
    Well I'm glad you saw my humor.

    I think in sports the National bias is still pointless, though. If 5 cakes are delivered to your door and you have a slice of each, are you going to especially praise the slice that didn't taste the best just because it was delivered from somewhere in town that you go shopping at frequently? Why do we need to hold up people from our own country above others, just because they are from out country? That is in fact what has caused so many problems in human history. Why not clap for a skater purely based upon who they are as a person/competitor/entertainer? Clap for Megan Duhamel because you love that she is a vegetarian, or something, not because she lives in Canada.

  2. #47
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Well I'm glad you saw my humor.

    I think in sports the National bias is still pointless, though. If 5 cakes are delivered to your door and you have a slice of each, are you going to especially praise the slice that didn't taste the best just because it was delivered from somewhere in town that you go shopping at frequently? Why do we need to hold up people from our own country above others, just because they are from out country? That is in fact what has caused so many problems in human history. Why not clap for a skater purely based upon who they are as a person/competitor/entertainer? Clap for Megan Duhamel because you love that she is a vegetarian, or something, not because she lives in Canada.
    Do you support local business above big chains? Do you try to engage in the local arts scene? Canada has pretty strict Canadian content laws (certain percentage of book stores must be Canadian authors, etc). Do you believe that that is wrong? I don't think you're wrong, Blades, but I do think you're being a bit reductive.

  3. #48
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    989
    I am Canadian and most of my favourite skaters are Americans. Sasha was my favourite of all time...I even liked Tanya until the episode with Nancy. Canada hasn't produced any good skaters in recent years..Joanne was a favourite. Elizabeth Manley was another skater that represented our country well. Now that we have Kaetlyn Osmond hailing from Newfoundland, my home province, you know that she is going to be our favouite. I love to watch and cheer for skaters from other countries also.....Everyone has a favourite that they like to so well and win..

  4. #49
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,597
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    exactly, If Osmond skates clean she is a lock for the silver or bronze medal
    Osmond has never skated a clean FS in international competition.

  5. #50
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Osmond has never skated a clean FS in international competition.
    Never say never. She is still young. And Worlds is Canada.

  6. #51
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Never say never. She is still young. And Worlds is Canada.
    That means a lot more after the men's FS, let me tell ya.

    But chuckm is right, at least for now. I think Osmond's only clean FS was at the Skate Canada Challenge.

  7. #52
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,551
    All eyes will be on the judging/scoring for the ladies competition tomorrow. I don't think there'll be any surprises as to who has the biggest PCS cushion from multiple falls.

  8. #53
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    *Canada*
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Well I'm glad you saw my humor.

    I think in sports the National bias is still pointless, though. If 5 cakes are delivered to your door and you have a slice of each, are you going to especially praise the slice that didn't taste the best just because it was delivered from somewhere in town that you go shopping at frequently? Why do we need to hold up people from our own country above others, just because they are from out country? That is in fact what has caused so many problems in human history. Why not clap for a skater purely based upon who they are as a person/competitor/entertainer? Clap for Megan Duhamel because you love that she is a vegetarian, or something, not because she lives in Canada.
    Well, I would clap for a skater from another country if I had a chance to attend worlds and I do have personal favourites from other countries as well. Talent is talent, after all. Mainly I was just pointing out it's not really that big of a crime against humanity for a particular audience to prefer their hometown "heros". I don't even know how seriously people take it. I like the idea of cheering for my Canadian team. Doesn't mean I think they DESERVE to win. I just like to root for them. I like to be proud of my country. It's fun. I guess I'm just not able to get worked up over sports enough to philosophize over-much about who I cheer for and why.

  9. #54
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,382
    Quote Originally Posted by millie View Post
    I am Canadian and most of my favourite skaters are Americans. Sasha was my favourite of all time...I even liked Tanya until the episode with Nancy. Canada hasn't produced any good skaters in recent years..Joanne was a favourite. Elizabeth Manley was another skater that represented our country well. Now that we have Kaetlyn Osmond hailing from Newfoundland, my home province, you know that she is going to be our favouite. I love to watch and cheer for skaters from other countries also.....Everyone has a favourite that they like to so well and win..


    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Osmond has never skated a clean FS in international competition.
    Osmond is only sixteen. I mean, c'mon--how many times have Carolina, Yuna, and Mao really skated a clean FS in international competition? Very little.

    Aaaaand we used to rag on Sasha for imperfect long programs. *sighs*

  10. #55
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    2 singled/ popped jumps I think she can still podium

    Ugh! Don't say that!

    I don't want a repeat of the Men. Please skate gods! Don't let a crappy LP medal or win worlds!

  11. #56
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by Dots View Post
    Ugh! Don't say that!

    I don't want a repeat of the Men. Please skate gods! Don't let a crappy LP medal or win worlds!
    Yuna is going last, so it's actually going to be suspenseful until the very end. Unlike the men's where you know it's over after Chan's second jumping pass.

  12. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Never say never. She is still young. And Worlds is Canada.
    exactly, the key here is home ground inflation

    If Can can win with multiple falls, I can't see how Osmond even with falls cannot podium, she will have a PCS cushion skating in the last group
    will get 130+ LP score if she is clean

  13. #58
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,819
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    All eyes will be on the judging/scoring for the ladies competition tomorrow. I don't think there'll be any surprises as to who has the biggest PCS cushion from multiple falls.
    Indeed, the lady in your avatar wins that hands down.

    Therefore, to compensate for what happened tonight in the men's event. Both the Queen and the current queen of the world shall have their mistakes penalized by a factor of 10 to avoid a repeat of the men's event.

  14. #59
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,382
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    exactly, the key here is home ground inflation

    If Can can win with multiple falls, I can't see how Osmond even with falls cannot podium, she will have a PCS cushion skating in the last group
    will get 130+ LP score if she is clean
    Canadian conspiracy again? How would you explain D/R's medal in pairs'? Home-grown inflation? No, they won that medal fair and square--and deservedly so.

    Kaetlyn (#4) skated a fantastic SP--she sold the hell out of that program and scored above Ashley (#5), who didn't have a 3-3, did a 3Lo for her single triple, and skated tentatively. #6-9 in the SP had definite noticeable flaws in their jumps. As for the LP, don't count your chickens before they hatch. There are a number of factors that could happen that would place Kaetlyn on or off the podium--without home-grown inflation.

  15. #60
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Indeed, the lady in your avatar wins that hands down.

    Therefore, to compensate for what happened tonight in the men's event. Both the Queen and the current queen of the world shall have their mistakes penalized by a factor of 10 to avoid a repeat of the men's event.
    Uh you forget Yuna did NOT win the PCS marks in the SP. One particular lady fell on her butt like Patrick Chan and still had higher PCS than Yuna in all components.

Page 4 of 124 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •