2013 Worlds Ladies FS | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies FS

Fruit Loops

On the Ice
I agree. I do not think Osmond will medal. If she does she will have to get a lot of help from other skaters. I think she has done well to place where she is in her first World's. So far she has handled the pressure. The LP is a longer time and more time to make errors. If she hits the top five it should be a dream come true. If she remains in the top 10 good for her. So far she is enjoying the moment and doing well at the same time. I hope she keeps that wonderful smile on her face all through the long. She has made Canada proud and I hope it continues to-day for her.

jfdw

I agree with this. I don't get why people think she shouldn't get a good result because she's new or young. But I do think there are several ladies who can beat her at her best when they're at their best. I am just proud of what she has accomplished already. Even if she has a fall or a few mistakes I will still enjoy watching her. A top 10 is really the highest of Canadian expectations. We may hope for more though. ;)

Saying that, really hope that Yuna skates lights out! And for Suzuki to make a comeback up the standings. I really enjoy her LP this year. And I want ALL the ladies to skate clean. Last night, the final 2 flights started out promising and then went downhill from there.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If that moment arises, it'll be EXTREME vindication for Ashley, as she still considers it her fault that the US lost the 3 spots in the first place.

I don't think so. She's being a bit hard on herself in this sense.

Everyone from that era had a hand in it - Meissner was in a slump and managed only 7th (she may have been able to be 4th-5th if clean)...not much was expected out of Bebe Liang but she did well for herself finishing 10th...and of course, Wagner's inexperience led to her 16th. But - there were SEVERAL opportunities presented to get that spot back which Wagner had nothing to do with. in 2009, Czisny fell twice in the SP which pretty much eliminated the possibility of a 3rd Vancouver spot. In 2010, Nagasu melted down in the FS, coughing up another opportunity (which came back to bite her in 2011 when SHE was 3rd at Nationals). In 2011, Flatt decided to skate injured at Worlds...ditto for Czisny in 2012...the list goes on and on. Honestly, there really isn't one person that this predicament can be blamed on. In fact, it can be argued that even USFS can partake in the shared blame (for reasons that have been talked about many times).

aero

On the Ice
I don't think so. She's being a bit hard on herself in this sense.

Everyone from that era had a hand in it - Meissner was in a slump and managed only 7th (she may have been able to be 4th-5th if clean)...not much was expected out of Bebe Liang but she did well for herself finishing 10th...and of course, Wagner's inexperience led to her 16th. But - there were SEVERAL opportunities presented to get that spot back which Wagner had nothing to do with. in 2009, Czisny fell twice in the SP which pretty much eliminated the possibility of a 3rd Vancouver spot. In 2010, Nagasu melted down in the FS, coughing up another opportunity (which came back to bite her in 2011 when SHE was 3rd at Nationals). In 2011, Flatt decided to skate injured at Worlds...ditto for Czisny in 2012...the list goes on and on. Honestly, there really isn't one person that this predicament can be blamed on. In fact, it can be argued that even USFS can partake in the shared blame (for reasons that have been talked about many times).

You make a valid point, and I completely agree, but even when Nagasu melted down she still managed 7th place. Of course she could have done much better but I still find that a fairly impressive showing. And I think Flatt's decision to compete injured at Moscow was definitely worse than Czisny competing at Nice. Flatt knew she was injured, Czisny didn't know she was until later on.

R.D.

Record Breaker
You make a valid point, and I completely agree, but even when Nagasu melted down she still managed 7th place. Of course she could have done much better but I still find that a fairly impressive showing. And I think Flatt's decision to compete injured at Moscow was definitely worse than Czisny competing at Nice. Flatt knew she was injured, Czisny didn't know she was until later on.

I don't agree with that last point - but we won't get into that debate again.

Anyway, the fact that Wagner is willing to volunteer herself as the scapegoat for this mess we're in says a lot about her character. I wish her - and Gracie Gold - the very best of luck tonight.

aero

On the Ice
I don't agree - but we won't get into that debate again.

Anyway, the fact that Wagner is willing to volunteer herself as the scapegoat for this mess we're in says a lot about her character. I wish her - and Gracie Gold - the very best of luck tonight.

Good call, and I wish the both of them good luck as well.

ks777

Record Breaker
If Gracie nails everything, she should be in the top 7, I think. So I am hoping Ashley to be in the top 6.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Well, good luck to both our US women. It would be super great to see Ashley on the podium and have our 3 spots back for an Olympic year. Whatever Ashley did that made her a 2 time national champion was wonderful. So nice to see her staying up top.

Robeye

Final Flight
Well, good luck to both our US women. It would be super great to see Ashley on the podium and have our 3 spots back for an Olympic year. Whatever Ashley did that made her a 2 time national champion was wonderful. So nice to see her staying up top.
OK, slight OT and maybe a bit boneheaded, but I'll ask anyway: given our current line-up of skaters, who would be the third skater sent, and what is the benefit for the US (as distinct from the interests of the fortunate third skater in question)?

Gymfan15

On the Ice
The third skater could be any number of people. Gao, Nagasu, Cizney, Hicks, Zawdawski, etc.

I think the main benefit is that once you have three solid spots, it's a lot easier to maintain them then it is to get them back. So the benefit wouldn't be for Sochi as much as it would be for the next quad where the US will hopefully be looking to better results and a deeper field.

Icey

Record Breaker
Do the judges have a separate computer so they can quickly determine what pcs to give a skater so they can force the ranking to be what they want.:sarcasm:

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Do the judges have a separate computer so they can quickly determine what pcs to give a skater so they can force the ranking to be what they want.:sarcasm:

Yes, they probably have another person sitting at a computer who edits the score before displayed on the board :D