2013 Worlds Ladies FS | Page 74 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies FS

gold12345

Medalist
Tough break for Russia. There remains too much of an emphasis on getting a wide variety of countries into the field as opposed to truly all the best skaters. Russia has 3 high quality ladies who could make or come close to the final warmup group on any given day.

hurrah

Medalist
Tonya Harding at the 91 Nationals did it and I believe 91 Skate America. As for just doing 7 triples a ton of women have done it since, but Harding is the only one I know of who did both 7 triples and a triple axel. Nakano has done 6 triples with a triple axel. Nelidina might have done 7 triples and a clean triple axel in a performance at some point, not sure, I do know she has done a clean triple axel and a bunch of other triples in a clean (although otherwise godawful apart from the jumps) skate numerous times.

Thanks for that information!

So, to rectify my previous comment, Mao has become the third lady to do a (more or less) seven triple program with all six jumps, the last successful attempt being 22 years ago, when Mao herself was not yet born.

ks777

Record Breaker
Korea getting 3 spots is kinda dumb. I mean, they don't really need 3 spots. They need to change the rule.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Thanks for that information!

So, to rectify my previous comment, Mao has become the third lady to do a (more or less) seven triple program with all six jumps, the last successful attempt being 22 years ago, when Mao herself was not yet born.

Yes, that would be true, and quite a feat. :) I am sure with her daring jumping feats she probably idolized people like Harding and Ito, but she has more finesse in her skating to go with the daring jumps than either of them had (and I loved both skaters) too.

szidon

On the Ice
As far as the podium goes, I would argue for Mao above Kostner, but I can see why it is what it is. Mao dug herself a hole in the SP, but on the other hand Carolina was a bit overmarked in the SP. Either way, it's a similar situation to Gracie and Ashley at Nats; solid arguments for both. Mao had a more solid free-skate, but Carolina really SOLD her program and I enjoyed watching it. If she had faked the ending of her program so the fall looked like it was choreography, it would be the most awesome thing ever, lol.

Well, if the rule for underrotated jumps had not changed, the final places of Asada, Murakami, Wagner and Gold would have been different from the current standing.

Under the current regulations, if a jump has "missing rotation of more than ¼, but less than ½ revolutions" it is considered as under-rotated and receives 70% of the base value. Asada showed lots of under-rotated and two-footed jumps in this event, but those mistakes didn't affect her score that much. (She actually received 15 points from her two under-rotated and two-footed 3As.)

See the protocole: http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2013/

Maybe if the regulations had not changed, the final results would have been different. Now I begin to understand why ISU changed the rules for under-rotated jumps.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Korea getting 3 spots is kinda dumb. I mean, they don't really need 3 spots. They need to change the rule.

I know, I hate that rule. It reminds me of the 94 Olympics when because of the great Lu Chen the Chinese sent 2 really crummy skaters to the Olympics with her who came dead last and didnt even skate the long program, and real quality skaters like Karen Preston of Canada, Michelle Kwan and Nicole Bobek of the U.S, Junko Yagiyuma and Kumiko Kowai of Japan, and Marina Kiellmann of Germany, all easily capable of a top 10 finish at the Games, were left home since their countries only had 2 spots.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia

no..I actually kinda understand this. Kim DESERVED her compatriots a chance to have an Oly experience. Even if they bomb it, the next time is usually easier to participate cause they'll know how to handle it. It's a very good advantage!

sask8

Rinkside
To repeat my question from earlier... Kim received 73.61 for PCS in the FS. That is the highest ever for a lady, right?

Yes, I believe so. Her 2010 performance was an overall higher score but her PCS was 71.76 (TES=78.30)

Krislite

Medalist

Yuna came to Worlds in part to win Olympic spots for Korea's fledgling skaters. It would be most unfair to take them away as she emphatically earned it for them after tonight.

daniel1406

Rinkside
For me, I prefer much more well-controlled expression of emotions and music to perfection which I think is only possible after thoroughly understanding the music and the character you are playing. Excessive expression of emotions, fist pumping, etc etc don't do the tricks for me. It is like listening to music, I suppose.

same here. I don't really get it when people say she didn't show her emotions in her Les Mis performance and it was methodical.

in terms of expressing her emotions, it was better than her FS at the olympics to be honest.

I finally got to see Mao's and YuNa's free skate all the way through. (Thanks, Mao88!) They both had me on the floor, for different reasons. As many of you have said, YuNa's very consistency is an artistic achievement. The way she glides from element to element without hitch or interruption is awe-inspiring. Her speed is also impressive. I'm so glad we get to have her skate for us again.

With Mao, there's a lightness of movement and a shading of positions and and also emotions that will pull me in every time. Her connection to the music is exceptional. I always love her arm work; I think she must be among the best ever at upper body movement. Those shifts in balance and placement help her to project a narrative. Her footwork is also breathtaking to watch. I could see the imperfections in her jumps, but she's miles better than she had been for the past few seasons, and I hope that by Sochi she'll be fully confident.

Thank goodness we didn't have to hide under furniture while the ladies free skate was going on. The men's free was agonizing, but the ladies' was exhilarating. New skaters and longtime ladies all went out there like gangbusters, with a few exceptions.

ks777

Record Breaker
Yuna came to Worlds in part to win Olympic spots for Korea's fledgling skaters. It would be most unfair to take them away as she emphatically earned it for them after tonight.

well if korea had another skater competing, then they wouldn't have earned 3 spots.

sather

Rinkside

I agree that this rule has some blind spots but if it were not for the rule, we might not have had Yuna on this Worlds since she literally came back for those 3 spots. :) So, look at the bright side.

Gymfan15

On the Ice
Thanks for the link to the medal ceremony!

That's cool that they had a live choir there to sing the anthem. They must have prepared a bunch of the top tunes beforehand...imagine the scrambling if Denis Ten had won last night? ;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Eh I don't agree. As I said, I think SoYeon Park and HaeJin Kim have a lot of promise. They didn't do that well at Jr. Worlds, but given their weird situation of having to skate WELL after their warm out due to the nuances of Milan's arena (i.e. the organization sucked) I'm not surprised that it didn't fare well with them.

Yuna basically gave these young girls the opportunity to get key experience. They have the goods -- SoYeon is a beautiful skater with great posture, musicality etc...and HaeJin is a little firecracker.

Also as I noted earlier---the burden for one skater to get three spots is VERY high. In fact, has any other skater managed to get three spots in the past? I honestly don't think so....

neraiselle

On the Ice
well if korea had another skater competing, then they wouldn't have earned 3 spots.

So? That statement is completely irrelevant. Korea did not have two skaters in this worlds because it only had one spot in the worlds this year. This is also about the future generation and it gives precious opportunities for the sport to grow in unchartered territories.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Tough break for Russia. There remains too much of an emphasis on getting a wide variety of countries into the field as opposed to truly all the best skaters. Russia has 3 high quality ladies who could make or come close to the final warmup group on any given day.

The US was in the same predicament for the past 6 years. Tough break, really.

ks777

Record Breaker
So? That statement is completely irrelevant. Korea did not have two skaters in this worlds because it only had one spot in the worlds this year. This is also about the future generation and it gives precious opportunities for the sport to grow in unchartered territories.

so that means they have no depth.