2013 Worlds Ladies FS | Page 80 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies FS

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
but I have this cringe with the audience and really disturbing
They only cheer and clap when its from their countrymen, terrible audience

Finnish commentator mentioned how great and supporting the Canadian audience was and Laura Lepistö said that she always enjoyed performing for the Canadian audiences.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I will admit I wasn't a huge fan of the Les Mis program when I first saw it. I had seen the movie recently enough prior to seeing it that the music cuts were jarring to me and I got bored watching it. However, now I absolutely LOVE the program and I think it is my favorite FS Yu-Na has ever had. She really told a story with it. Her 2010 Olympic FS will always be a masterpiece, but to me her Les Mis program from last night surpassed it. She skated like she never took any time off at all. Seriously, it was THAT GOOD! Wow, I am still speechless :biggrin:

It just wasn't Katelyn's time. I am SO PROUD of Ashley and Gracie!!! They really stepped it up when they needed to. 5th and 6th is better than I expected them to do, leapfrogging over Suzuki and all three Russians. What a disappointing competition for the Russian ladies and now they'll only have two spots at the Olympics. I wonder who will get them. And, the US spots are somewhat uncertain too. Gracie barely squeaked by Nationals, so we'll have to see how next season goes for her. The US judges appear to love Zawadski and Hicks but not Nagasu or Gao. Does anyone know whether Flatt and Czisny are coming back at all?

KKonas

Medalist
I don't know why, but that particular criticism of Yu-na's performance tickled me. She failed to check off the "eye-contact-with-the judges" CoP bullet. ;)

Fact is, this was a 6.0 performance, a la Michelle Kwan's Aranjuez at 2003 worlds or her Tosca at U.S. Nationals. Put on a clinic. Take care of business. Carve your mailing address into the ice so they will be sure to know where to send the check. :yes:

I'm with you Mathman, Yu Na was great. The only critique is one of Dick Button's famous Layback comments, as Yu Na does not have the best layback position in her spins, but I thought everything else was wonderful.

daphna

On the Ice
The ladies event was fantastic this year, the best since Vancouver 2010, IMO.
Yu Na is amazing. Both her programs mesmeric. I think she'll easily defend her olympic title next year and become the best skater in history.
Carolina was fantastic as well, despite the fall. She obviously re-worked her lutz over the past 2 years, and it was very kind to her this year. I think a clean, 7 triples Caro is the only realistic threat to Yu Na.
Zijun was the biggest surprise, FINALLY a Chinese skater who has the whole package!
Gold and Wagner were on a mission and skated great. Super fight from Ashley!
Mao is a beauty, but needs more consistency. This week was a step in the right direction for her.
The Russians were a bit disapointing, I expected better placements for them. I wonder if they are just not as good as they are hyped to be.
Kanako was great, but her skating does nothing for me.
Sochi will be amazing next year. I really hope Carolina finally skates well at the olympics and wins a medal!

cheerio2

On the Ice
Yuna was just astounding and she's completely back to her old form. Wow. The jumps were amazeballs. No sign of nerves whatsoever and seemingly unfazed by it all. She's been involved in so much outside of skating these past few years that I feel she probably gained a refreshing perspective that there's more to life than skating. She looked almost bored after her free skate, like it was just another day at the office LOL. One tiny quibble for me was her footwork...thought it looked kind of slow and not that intricate. But overall it moved me. In fact,I was more moved by her post-Olympics LPs (Arirang and Les Mis) than those before. I felt more of her emotion and maturity in these. I REALLY hope she brings back Arirang for her long next year. That program did not get anywhere near enough mileage.

By the way, I hate the rule change that got rid of the spiral sequence. Worst rule change ever. That was one of the most beautiful and iconic elements of women's skating and I missed seeing everyone's gorgeous spiral sequences.

Also I miss the split falling leaf jump or Russian split jump like Kwan and Cohen Nobody does those anymore, but they add so much to a program. I think they should be assigned a point value in CoP.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
By the way, I hate the rule change that got rid of the spiral sequence. Worst rule change ever. That was one of the most beautiful and iconic elements of women's skating and I missed seeing everyone's gorgeous spiral sequences.

Also I miss the split falling leaf jump or Russian split jump like Kwan and Cohen Nobody does those anymore, but they add so much to a program. I think they should be assigned a point value in CoP.

Really? 'cause there were a lot of ugly ones ... but I agree with your last post. When done "correctly", they add more poignancy to a high of a program.

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
Really enjoyed the event, many of the ladies were incredible.
It's safe to say that Ashley Wagner and Elizaveta Tuktamysheva are such fighters - wow!

CNY_Skater

Rinkside
1 Yuna KIM 218.31 SP 1st (BV31.63 GOE5.16)  FP 1st (BV58.22 GOE16.51)
2 Carolina KOSTNER 197.89 SP 2nd (BV29.93 GOE4.08)  FP 3rd (BV50.75 GOE10.59)
3 Mao ASADA  196.47 SP 6th (BV27.15 GOE2.55)   FP 2nd (BV62.30 GOE3.66)

I just realized that even with the missed jump and downgrades, Mao still achieved the highest base value of the three in the free program. That's just mad. Mao should just scale down on her jump content and aim to skate clean.
She should even stop practicing the triple-axel altogether, and just focus on perfecting her flip and lutz so that she can have a triple-triple combo in her short. She's already got similar GOEs to Yuna this time except the flip and lutz. As long as she can get the quality of her toe jumps up, and as long as Yuna doesn't do a loop, Mao would be able to beat her.

It looks like you're working on a scenario where Mao beats Yuna.
Sounds to me though, there are way too many if's and it just lacks reality.
I think I can help you.

First of all, we have to face the fact that Mao cannot give up her triple axle.
(Hey but I absolutely agree that she'll be better off without 3A simply because Mao's so-called triple axle really is a 3-rotation jump rather than 3.5)
Japanese Skating Federation(JSF from now on)'s been pushing ISU to raise the base value of triple axle.
In fact, the BV of 3A has been raised from 7.5 to 8.2 in 2008, and again raised from 8.2 to 8.5 after Yuna dominated Olympics. Not only that, ISU accepted JSF's bid for the new rule where a woman skater could attemp 3A as a single jump in SP.
ISU even lowered BV for double axle from 3.5 to 3.3 to further amplify that special skater's benefit.
In effect, Mao gained 5.2 on base value alone. It's just sad she can't land a clean, non-prerotating 3A.
On the side note, ISU also lowered GOE scale by 30%. So if you think Mao "achieved" relatively close GOE as Yuna's, it is more of an achievement from whoever decided to lowered the GOE scale for whatever reason they had.

My point here is, because JSF has shown so much effort(money, lobbying, sponsorship arrangement, whatever you want to call it) to make 3A the holy grail of women's figure skating, Mao is stuck with the jump regardless of her ability of landing it.

So, back to the part where I would help you build a scenario of Mao's triumphant roar over Yuna, here are my suggestions.
JSF should push ISU even harder to raise the BV of 3A. Let's say, 11.5.
Then have ISU to lower GOE scale by another 30% or so. Simply because there is no way Mao will score higher on "Grade of Execution" than Yuna.
Then just in case, have ISU to lower BV of 2A to let's say, 1.3.
Voilà. Mao just gained extra 5.0 on BV alone(again) and now Yuna's clean SP would have hard time beating Mao's two-foot landing 3A.

I feel obligated to mention one flaw in my scenario though.
Further differentiating 2A and 3A will force some top skaters to include 3A in their SP,
and I must say it sounds much more realistic for Yuna to equip 3A than Mao giving up 3A altogether and
going head to head with Yuna in terms of general quality of skating.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I'm a little confused about something, do we now have 3 spots for the Olympics in Sochi as well as 3 spots for worlds 2014?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley seemed almost haunted by being part of the team that lost the 3 spots back in 2008. It wasn't her fault she was a untested 16 year old who couldn't have been expected to even finish in the top ten. The fact is this is when the US decline began in Ladies skating. The top 4 finishers at Nationals that year were 14,15,16, and 14 years old. That should tell you there were no top notch older skaters who were going to keep our 3 slots. Then of course Ashley finished 3rd in 2010 but didn't get to go the Olympics because of what happened in 2008. And then of course last year she did her part finishing 4th but of course Alissa had the meltdown of the decade. So i'm glad that monkey is off her back.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I haven't really been watching FS as much as I used to this last quad. However, hom sick this last week, I saw Ladies SP/LP, Ice Dance FS and Men LP and all I have to say is, WOW! Ladies FS seems more exciting than it has been since like 2004! My thoughts:

~Yuna is Queen. Wow. That is all.
~I LOVE Mao and if she can just hit her jumps, I think she is the only one who can put pressure on Yuna.
~This was the 1st time I have ever actually understood what the judges see in Carolina. She had her mistakes and doesn't blow you away with highest jump tech, but she is pretty good!
~Gracie has made me a fan in the last 6 months. I usually feel all the hype surrounding someone new is just that, but there is something about that girl that has grabbed my attention. SO excited to actually root for someone again!! (*missing MK...)
~Ladies FS is where it's at! Gracie, Kaetlyn, Adelina, Zijun (honorable mention to Elizaveta...)....just wow! Plus, the "veterans"-Yuna, Mao, Carolina, Akiko, Kanako-are NOT going anywhere just yet, but the next generation looks pretty good! If all can stay healthy and continue as is, I think 2014 Olys are going to be very exciting!!!

MKFSfan

Medalist
Ashley seemed almost haunted by being part of the team that lost the 3 spots back in 2008. It wasn't her fault she was a untested 16 year old who couldn't have been expected to even finish in the top ten. The fact is this is when the US decline began in Ladies skating. The top 4 finishers at Nationals that year were 14,15,16, and 14 years old. That should tell you there were no top notch older skaters who were going to keep our 3 slots. Then of course Ashley finished 3rd in 2010 but didn't get to go the Olympics because of what happened in 2008. And then of course last year she did her part finishing 4th but of course Alissa had the meltdown of the decade. So i'm glad that monkey is off her back.

Maybe it is the cynic in me, but all that stands out is how "poor" Ashley missed the 2010 Olympics due to lack of 3 spots. Everyone seems to come back to the fact Ashley feels responsible for "losing" the 3rd spot and all I seem to recall is Ashley saying she was affected most by loss of that 3rd spot in 2010...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Which is why I feel that she will do even better next season. I think she did well to maintain, especially with unexpected injury/sickness just weeks before nationals. You can tell that she was pretty obsessed with getting that third spot back.

She basically just swapped spots with Murakami this season, so I don't consider her 5th as some sort of big decline. As RD pointed out on the Ladies thread, she's the first to maintain two top 5 finishes since Kimmie Meissner (2006/2007). This is big for her considering the flip-flop/declining results of her compatriots ( Mirai 4th at OG to 7th at Worlds to not making the team since; Rachael going from 5th in 2009, 7th in 2010 to 9th at 2010 Worlds to 12th at 2011 Worlds and Czisny going from 9th in 2009; 4th in 2011 to 22nd in 2012).

I think now that she doesn't have to worry about getting the 3rd spot back, healthy and has money (yay sponosrships!) she can focus on perfecting the 3-3/2A-3T and getting those spin levels.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Maybe it is the cynic in me, but all that stands out is how "poor" Ashley missed the 2010 Olympics due to lack of 3 spots. Everyone seems to come back to the fact Ashley feels responsible for "losing" the 3rd spot and all I seem to recall is Ashley saying she was affected most by loss of that 3rd spot in 2010...

She did say that, but she also said that she was on the team that lost the three spots and so felt responsible for getting them back. Now that she has, "the debt has been repaid," and the third-place finisher at US Nationals next year will be in for a very nice treat.