2013 Worlds Ladies FS | Page 81 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies FS

Icey

Record Breaker
I'm a huge Yuna fan, but even I don't believe she has a superhuman body and boundless motivation. She'll be 27 by 2018. It's doubtful her body will allow her, and let's not even talk of motivation. It took a long time of soul-searching after Vancouver before she regained her competitive fire. After Sochi, I can't imagine her wanting to go for it again.

Well, Kostner will be 27 in 2014. Is she calling it quits now and not going to Sochi?

ForeverFish

Medalist
Well, Kostner will be 27 in 2014. Is she calling it quits now and not going to Sochi?

I think Kostner has some unfinished business pertaining to the Olympics, seeing as how she finished 16th in 2010. Yuna, on the other hand, already has an OGM and could very well win a second one in less than a year. Krislite's main point is that Yuna will probably lack the motivation in 2017/18 to make another comeback. She's already said that this Worlds was probably her last, so she's happy that she can walk away with fond memories.

CarneAsada

Medalist
It looks like you're working on a scenario where Mao beats Yuna.
Sounds to me though, there are way too many if's and it just lacks reality.
I think I can help you.

Lol... There was a 20-point gap between Yu-na and Mao here, but Mao's 4CC SP would erase 12 points off that lead. 2-footing the 3A in the LP cost her about 3 points, missing her 3F-3Lo cost her another 6. Mao can beat Yu-na even with Yu-na's 5 point PCS lead in the long.

And again with the ridiculous pre-rotation talk from idiots who know nothing about edge jumps or basic physics. Typical Yuna fans.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I can't imagine that Yuna isn't really having to dig deep for motivation now.

Her motivation for this Worlds, I believe, was to get some "young Korean skaters" on the international scene. I'm no expert, but she probably felt that if she still had it in her for one more Olympics, then it would be wasteful not to go for it.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT (Updated)

1. Yuna KIM (KOR) - 218.31 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, Medal Ceremony, Interview
2. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA) - 197.89 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
3. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 196.47 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 189.73 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
5. Ashley WAGNER (USA) - 187.34 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
6. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 184.25 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
7. Zijun LI (CHN) - 183.85 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
8. Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN) - 176.82 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
9. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 175.98 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
10. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 174.24 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
11. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 165.03 Free Skate
12. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 164.59 Free Skate
13. Alena LEONOVA (RUS) - 159.06 Free Skate
14. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 158.80 Free Skate
15. Natalia POPOVA (UKR) - 155.52 Free Skate
16. Elena GLEBOVA (EST) - 152.49 Free Skate
17. Monika SIMANCIKOVA (SVK) - 149.02 Free Skate
18. Valentina MARCHEI (ITA) - 147.23 Free Skate
19. Nathalie WEINZIERL (GER) - 142.48 Free Skate
20. Jenna MCCORKELL (GBR) - 142.27 Free Skate
21. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 141.88 Free Skate
22. Sonia LAFUENTE (ESP) - 139.66 Free Skate
23. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 137.41 Free Skate
24. Kerstin FRANK (AUT) - 127.98 Free Skate

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
She did say that, but she also said that she was on the team that lost the three spots and so felt responsible for getting them back. Now that she has, "the debt has been repaid," and the third-place finisher at US Nationals next year will be in for a very nice treat.

Also I think she saw her not being able to go in 2010 because of being in third place as some sort of "karma" or "punishment" for being part of the 2008 team that lost the three spots, not that "oh, I was SO affected by the lost spot..."

ordinary person

On the Ice
Tukt really has to be stopped by the costume police. This and her SP costumes are 1) almost identical 2)not flattering to her body 3) kind of objectively ugly 4)very dark/dank in tone

Omg what do you have against black tights, i can understand if the outfit is too much of the same color but there's absolutely nothing wrong with dark tights.

flying camel

Medalist
Well I think the nerves got the best of a lot of ladies in this competition. Yuna basically had no competition after 2 years off. You would think someone would have been a threat. Carolina, Carolina, the judges love this girl. If she just skates half way decent she will win an Olympic medal, maybe even gold.

hurrah

Medalist
Lol... There was a 20-point gap between Yu-na and Mao here, but Mao's 4CC SP would erase 12 points off that lead. 2-footing the 3A in the LP cost her about 3 points, missing her 3F-3Lo cost her another 6. Mao can beat Yu-na even with Yu-na's 5 point PCS lead in the long.

And again with the ridiculous pre-rotation talk from idiots who know nothing about edge jumps or basic physics. Typical Yuna fans.

I think PCS difference is negligible. If Mao skated clean, she would get the same PCS mark as Yuna. (Even if Mao two-foots her triple-axel, as long as she did all of her other elements with positive GOE, I think the judges would still give similar PCS to perfect Yuna because the triple-axel is just a very special element.) Carolina would too. Well, actually, if all skated clean, it seems like Carolina would get slightly higher PCS than either Yuna or Mao. But still, the difference shouldn't be that much.

It was the GOE! And I repeat. Mao basically had similar GOE levels to Yuna's in everything except where the flip and lutz was involved this time. (Yuna doesn't have a loop so Mao doesn't need to worry about increasing her GOE on her loop. Her loop GOE is high enough and it's Yuna that has the deficit here.)

I hope that Mao will really work on the flip and lutz, especially the lutz, during the off season.

Krislite

Medalist
I can't imagine that Yuna isn't really having to dig deep for motivation now.

Huh? She did dig quite deep--it took two long years of soul-searching after the Vancouver Olympics before she finally found her competitive fire again. It's pretty clear she's very motivated given how she's done this season. Last summer something finally clicked in her head and she announced her return, first to Worlds and then up to the Sochi Olympics, after which she'll retire.

It was the GOE!

You are certainly right about that! Kim got 16.51 in GOEs. And this was after the rule change after the 2010 Olympics where they felt that Yu-na's GOEs were too high, so they reduced the value of GOEs on triple jumps (except the Axel) by 30%.

Mao's GOEs here were 3.66.

What I hope Moa does is change her 3Lo+2Lo to 3Lo-3Lo or 3Lo-3T. That way she can be the first woman in history to do eight triples. :rock:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think YuNa would have to dig VERY deep to keep training at any level through to 2018, and age has nothing to do with it. She has chronic back problems which are very painful. I can remember when she was doing the GP there were times when she was in tears from the pain.

CNY_Skater

Rinkside

LOL indeed. So when will Mao put together clean back-to-back performances in a single event and claim full potential, ISU-glorified TES?

Again with the what if talk from idiots who don't understand even Mao is not allowed to combine her best scores from different events.

Ven

Match Penalty
Huh? She did dig quite deep--it took two long years of soul-searching after the Vancouver Olympics before she finally found her competitive fire again. It's pretty clear she's very motivated given how she's done this season. Last summer something finally clicked in her head and she announced her return, first to Worlds and then up to the Sochi Olympics, after which she'll retire.

I agree I think she found her motivation, as she has stated.

But Yuna will still have to guard against complacency in my opinion if she wants to go out on top next year. She was away from competition for most of the last 3 years, then came back and won so easily by such a huge margin. The temptation will be to train easier (not push as hard) and expect to win just as easy next year as she did this weekend. I'm not saying that will happen, but it's the temptation for lesser people.

However I think Yuna is a different person that that, and I expect her to train very hard and do very well next season. She said her motivation this year was to come back for Sochi so she could become IOC member-athlete.

Next season I hope she will find the added motivation to finish her career at top form, in beautiful fashion. Nothing would be more perfect than for her to look back at her entire career and give it the ending it deserves, not just for her fans, but also for herself.

hurrah

Medalist
You are certainly right about that! Kim got 16.51 in GOEs. And this was after the rule change after the 2010 Olympics where they felt that Yu-na's GOEs were too high, so they reduced the value of GOEs on triple jumps (except the Axel) by 30%.

Mao's GOEs here were 3.66.

What I hope Moa does is change her 3Lo+2Lo to 3Lo-3Lo or 3Lo-3T. That way she can be the first woman in history to do eight triples. :rock:

Yes, it just goes to show that the current marking system is still geared toward clean programs. You have to be clean to become a champion.

Achieving an eight triple program would truly be a historical feat, because it would only be a skater who can do a 3-axel and also have both 3-toeloop and 3-loop as the second jump of a combination who could achieve it. Mao is very close to achieving this milestone, and if she did this, I have a feeling there will not be another 8-triple lady skater for at least 20 years.

Her second jump pass at Worlds where she did just 3F was supposed to be a 3F-3L combination. She has been landing them pretty consistently in practice, though she didn't manage to test it in competition to see if it would get ratified or not this time, unfortunately. I guess Mao will be attending WTT next month, so it will be very important for Mao to do another 3-axel without getting an under-rotation call at the very least, and hopefully do another successful one with positive GOEs, but equally important for her will be to not miss the 3F-3L attempt, and if she misses it, to this time make sure and make her 3L into 3L-3L. This time, she only managed to tack on a 2L.

With that, they can assess and make a plan for next season's layout. :yes:

If they decide to go for broke, which I guess they might, the layout should be:

3axel
3flip-3loop
3loop (which can be turned into 3loop-3loop)
3lutz
3salchow
2axel-3toeloop
3flip-2loop-2loop

Sounds impossible! And frankly not CoP-smart. Mao could do an eight-triple program, and still lose against a totally clean program that has loads of double jumps and easier triples.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Omg what do you have against black tights, i can understand if the outfit is too much of the same color but there's absolutely nothing wrong with dark tights.

I do not have anything specifically against black tights. I did not think (and maintain that) it was the right costume for Liza. She is very pale so black makes her look washed out and on her the color is very dank indeed. In addition, IMHO (and it is only that) the costume was extremely unflattering on her, making her look both shorter and wider than she actually is and shapeless to boot. This saddens me because actually I think Liza is beautiful. When I called the costume 'objectively ugly' the black tights were the least of my concerns- I was talking of the outfit taken as a whole, which IMO was hands down the worst of anyone in the top 10 (Meite's may have been worse but at least it flattered her skin tone and coloring, and she wasn't in the top 10 in any case).

That said, call me old fashioned but I like flesh colored tights, where 'flesh colored' means close in color to the skin tone of the competitor in question. Black tights look more like warm up attire to me, sort of casual and mannish, actually like leggings. However, they were not what I was harping on but the look, on Liza taken as a whole.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I do not have anything specifically against black tights. I did not think (and maintain that) it was the right costume for Liza. She is very pale so black makes her look washed out and on her the color is very dank indeed. In addition, IMHO (and it is only that) the costume was extremely unflattering on her, making her look both shorter and wider than she actually is and shapeless to boot. This saddens me because actually I think Liza is beautiful. When I called the costume 'objectively ugly' the black tights were the least of my concerns- I was talking of the outfit taken as a whole, which IMO was hands down the worst of anyone in the top 10 (Meite's may have been worse but at least it flattered her skin tone and coloring, and she wasn't in the top 10 in any case).

That said, call me old fashioned but I like flesh colored tights, where 'flesh colored' means close in color to the skin tone of the competitor in question. Black tights look more like warm up attire to me, sort of casual and mannish, actually like leggings. However, they were not what I was harping on but the look, on Liza taken as a whole.

This!

Actually, with her dark hair, I hope to see Liza in something more similar to this next season:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-T-ND_yqQYXA/TrC2MJaQlaI/AAAAAAAASbw/0yknhiUgjuI/s1600/TopThree.jpg

Bright coloring is very flattering to her complexion. And call me old fashioned, but I don't like seeing someone as young as Liza decked out in all-black like an old dowager. It really does hide her lines and make her look clunky/sluggish. She is lovely to look at, and it's a shame that her costumes this season distracted from her beautiful presence on the ice.

ordinary person

On the Ice

I agree about the outfit but as far as the tights go i personally find flesh colored tights to be so dull and too much of the same plus it's weird when you're on the ice looking like you're skating bare legs compared to the black tights you would wear to keep you warm on the ice, it makes much more sense but yes, to each one's own.
Although i must say i prefer all kind of colored tights, at least you wouldn't have so many skaters looking the same :)