2013 Worlds Ladies FS | Page 84 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies FS

lavender

Record Breaker
This is all very subjective. I would say Yu-Na displayed at this Wrolds the same lack of emotion as she did in Vancouver. What she did was rather acting with her facial expression as if somebody (David Wilson?) told her she should do it and her PCS would be higher. On the other hand, I find her 2011 Worlds free skate to be her best effort presention-wise and in terms of projecting emotions; technical mistakes notwithstanding.

Yes I love her program from 2011. I wish she would bring that back since she barely skated it.

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
I finally have watched the girls on Fuji that my timer recorded. I was very disappointed with Yuna's attitude to the event- formal and cold. Like a factory worker who came, did her shift and left. It's very rude and unprofessional. While her TES score was deservely of the paver who rode all over her rivals, her PCS once again proved that the judging is just a joke. The overdramatic face impression in both progs with absolutely no difference, that she switched on and off automatically with the music start/finish. The same awfully postured legs, knees, shoulders with no elegance and charm. What does her dress have anything to do with 19 century? It's a bought in a Halloween store costume "Mother Capulet at her daughter's funeral". :rolleye:

Cheers to Kanako for good skating. :)

Why don't you simply say "I hate Yu-Na Kim"? This really looks like expression of hatred rather than criticism.

jaylee

Medalist
She's so workmanlike that it's hard to feel any passion for her unless you're a die-hard fan.

Just about the entire audience was standing up for her performance, many of them before her final spin had ended. 100x the reaction that she got in the SP. I don't think they were all die-hard fans.

If people aren't moved by her performance, it's cool. If people don't enjoy it, that's also cool--to each their own. If they don't like the choreography, no problem.

What I disagree with is when some take their reaction (or lack thereof) and blame Yu-Na for it (i.e. she's not trying, she's not emotional), or even more ridiculously, extrapolate that there's something wrong with Yu-Na's attitude (???). No one has to feel the same way in reaction to a particular performance, but the reasons for why someone doesn't react in a particular way to a skater aren't necessarily due to lack of effort or ability on the skater.

breeze

Rinkside
It is interesting how different people have the very opposite opinions about Yuna's skating. She is either criticized for not having enough facial expression, or for having over-dramatic facial expressions throughout. I felt that her facial expressions were very appropriately displayed as they were part of the choreography, more so for her SP than LP. Yes they might have been too controlled but they played their role in the program very well. It was amazing how she remained calm throughout the program especially even when she was landing triple jumps, but the look on her face fired up through choreo or step sequences.

And I don't agree that she was cold and businesslike toward this competition at all, her smile after the LP at 6:40 from this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIU7Gsbkghg looks very warm and genuine to me. Of course that smile quickly went away and she came back to her a little too calm self, but you know, a maestro doesn't get stirred by her/his own performance. ;)

aftertherain

Record Breaker
How about this?

She performed so well artistically and technically that it was easy to feel passion for her unless you're a hater.

Why is it that approaches to her skating either have to be you hate it or you love it? We can like her skating and still have some reservations about it, you know. Yeesh! :rolleye:

---

I think both jaylee and vietgirlterifa have valid points when it come to her skating, but Mathman said it best. ;)
Takin' care of business. :rock: That's the ticket, Yu-na. Your facial expression should say to the other ladies, "You showed up to skate against moi? Now why would you want to do a silly thing like that?" ;)

verysmuchso

On the Ice
Why is it that approaches to her skating either have to be you hate it or you love it? We can like her skating and still have some reservations about it, you know. Yeesh! :rolleye:

---

I think both jaylee and vietgirlterifa have valid points when it come to her skating, but Mathman said it best. ;)
I don't know how you can call 'show of reservations' about someone's skating the kind of visceral language a couple of posters here just used to talk about Yuna? to portray her basically as a cold and dislikable person. I don't think ehdtkqorl123's response was out of line.

Irina89

On the Ice
I skipped a few pages, so I hope this question has not been asked before...do you know what was the reaction of the Russian media concernig the fact that the the third spot for the Olympics was lost?

bebevia

On the Ice
The very controversy about Yuna's performance should not be between if it inspired or not, but between

1. those uninspired by it because she lacked expression, and
2. those uninspired by it because she had too much expression.

Seriously, I don't see these two parties objecting each others peeping hot. How come?

BTW, keep in mind that, if she didn't look genuinely pissed during the performance, she succeeded; she once said that, whenever she's not thinking or just being ok, (and sometimes peaceful/calm/etc) people think she's pissed.

Also, I notice a lot of non-Asians have hard time detecting Asian's facial expressions - especially with Yuna-like features.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I don't know how you can call 'show of reservations' about someone's skating the kind of visceral language a couple of posters here just used to talk about Yuna? to portray her basically as a cold and dislikable person. I don't think ehdtkqorl123's response was out of line.

Well, I made no such comments about Yuna the person. I was only talking about her musical interpretation and presentation of her programs.

Of course, I was asking for it with my line about the die-hard fans, but I've noticed they're the only ones I've seen who are so sensitive that they take any criticism of Yuna Kim as an insult against her. Usually, people appreciate Kim (especially after showing the rest of the competition how one should skate at Worlds in the LP) and understand her wins. But I just don't see the same kind of love towards her as I see for the likes of Virtue/Moir, Davis/White, Volosozhar/Trankov, etc. To me, it's more of a respect and appreciation than all-out love.

Also, I notice a lot of non-Asians have hard time detecting Asian's facial expressions - especially with Yuna-like features.

I mean I'm Asian, and I have a hard time detecting it from Yuna. There's a difference between subtlety and reserved expression and what others may construe as extremely rehearsed and forced. That said, maybe I need to work harder in understanding Yuna's extreme reserved nature (it even showed during the Gangham Style performance during the Special Olympics. Watching her and Kwan were like night and day in terms of projection of emotion and commitment to the movement). I usually do appreciate subtle expressions as I found the Shibutani's expression in their FD absolutely appropriate given the theme and music, but it seems I have to work harder with Kim despite highly admiring her technical abilities.

BTW, I am not a hater. Just because I am not fully sold on her doesn't mean I'm on another skater's bandwagon and want to see Kim fail or anything. Some of the more extreme posters need to understand that difference of opinion doesn't make one a "hater" or that their opinions are invalid. They're just different and no amount of ranting and raving will change that person's mind.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I find all these discussions of facial expressions hilarious. I watch skating.. you know, what goes on beneath the waist? I don't watch skating to see masterpiece theater. I watch to see how composed the skater's upper body is, how deep the edges are, how the skater's position is in the air. Watch skating for the beauty of the lines created by the blades, the smoothness of the transition, the awesomeness of the difficult step sequences. The quickness of the turns, the swiftness of the ice coverage, these are the things that are truly awe inspiring to watch. Facial expression is the last thing that registers on my mind. Enjoy the true beauty of skating. If you are so focus on stuff like facial expressions, you are missing out on the true beauty of skating.

Last edited:

Krislite

Medalist
Just about the entire audience was standing up for her performance, many of them before her final spin had ended. 100x the reaction that she got in the SP. I don't think they were all die-hard fans.

If people aren't moved by her performance, it's cool. If people don't enjoy it, that's also cool--to each their own. If they don't like the choreography, no problem.

What I disagree with is when some take their reaction (or lack thereof) and blame Yu-Na for it (i.e. she's not trying, she's not emotional), or even more ridiculously, extrapolate that there's something wrong with Yu-Na's attitude (???). No one has to feel the same way in reaction to a particular performance, but the reasons for why someone doesn't react in a particular way to a skater aren't necessarily due to lack of effort or ability on the skater.

Those were all Yuna fans for hire, planted by ATS and the Korean government. If they were real people they'd be totally unmoved by this "performance" cause surely everyone can see how cold and unfeeling she is. She is also the rudest and most unprofessional skater, being so cold and business-like, unlike that epitome of humility and grace: Patrick Chan. ;)

This is all very subjective. I would say Yu-Na displayed at this Wrolds the same lack of emotion as she did in Vancouver. What she did was rather acting with her facial expression as if somebody (David Wilson?) told her she should do it and her PCS would be higher. On the other hand, I find her 2011 Worlds free skate to be her best effort presention-wise and in terms of projecting emotions; technical mistakes notwithstanding.

I think that YuNa is rather reserved, and that part of skating doesn't come naturally to her. On the other hand, everything else does seem to come naturally to her, and she blows rivals away with that "everything else," which is fine with me. I don't think this means that YuNa is phoning it in. She just doesn't project emotions--even in off-ice photos. She keeps it in and makes you guess. Nothing wrong with being a bit mysterious!

For that kind of expressiveness, I look to Carolina or Mao. The way expressions flit across Mao's face is truly inspiring to me, so subtle yet clear, like a language of its own, in a way that I suspect can't be taught. Moreover, she always seems to inhabit her music.

As far as I'm concerned, we're mighty lucky to have all three of these ladies. Maybe YuNa didn't have a lot of facial expression as she skated, but you should have seen my face as I was watching her long program. That's more than enough for me.

Afterthought: I'm old enough to remember Nadia Comaneci at the Montreal Olympics. She almost never changed expression, never cracked a smile. Seven perfect tens, and we viewers were the ones who were grinning from ear to ear, knowing that we'd just watched history being made.

Ven

Match Penalty
I finally have watched the girls on Fuji that my timer recorded. I was very disappointed with Yuna's attitude to the event- formal and cold. Like a factory worker who came, did her shift and left. It's very rude and unprofessional. While her TES score was deservely of the paver who rode all over her rivals, her PCS once again proved that the judging is just a joke. The overdramatic face impression in both progs with absolutely no difference, that she switched on and off automatically with the music start/finish. The same awfully postured legs, knees, shoulders with no elegance and charm. What does her dress have anything to do with 19 century? It's a bought in a Halloween store costume "Mother Capulet at her daughter's funeral". :rolleye:

Yes criticize Yuna because she didn't look like all of the other 16 year "happy to be there" girls you adore. She's a grown woman, a professional, who has mopped up the skating world for years. She still performed like a professional, and enjoyed her performance if you know what to look for. Shame on you.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I find all these discussions of facial expressions hilarious. I watch skating.. you know, what goes on beneath the waist? I don't watch skating to see masterpiece theater. I watch to see how composed the skater's upper body is, how deep the edges are, how the skater's position is in the air. Watch skating for the beauty of the lines created by the blades, the smoothness of the transition, the awesomeness of the difficult step sequences. The quickness of the turns, the swiftness of the ice coverage, these are the things that are truly awe inspiring to watch. Facial expression is the last thing that registers on my mind. Enjoy the true beauty of skating. If you are so focus on stuff like facial expressions, you are missing out on the true beauty of skating.

Right because you can't have both?

I also think a lot of people are also talking expression in movement and ease which Yu Na is also sort of lacking compared to someone say like Kostner or Suzuki. There are also problems with Kim's bodylines in comparison to Kostner, Asada, and a few other ladies as well.

However, when it comes to speed, depth of edge, and clean jumping technique then Kim and Kostner are the tops, no question.

Ven

Match Penalty
Wow your thinking is backwards. You are comparing Yuna to other skaters when you should be comparing them to her. If they had accomplished what she has, they would probably also have that "taking care of business" attitude that some of you seem to hate. She's not some up and coming 16 year old girl with bright eyes and unrestrained smiles. She's a grown woman, with years of experience and championships, the best skater in the world ... and she carries herself that way without being aloof about it. Her presentation on the ice is beautiful and natural.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
Right because you can't have both?

I also think a lot of people are also talking expression in movement and ease which Yu Na is also sort of lacking compared to someone say like Kostner or Suzuki. There are also problems with Kim's bodylines in comparison to Kostner, Asada, and a few other ladies as well.

However, when it comes to speed, depth of edge, and clean jumping technique then Kim and Kostner are the tops, no question.

I don't think you understand what I'm getting here... facial expression is not skating. You don't carved the ice with your face. If facial expression was skating Patrick Chan should never win anything with his crossed eyed expression which would be a shame because he is a magnificent skater in spite of what some view as dubious judging in his favor.

If you want to watch for drama above the waist, that's great. I will enjoy skating instead.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I don't think you understand what I'm getting here... facial expression is not skating. You don't carved the ice with your face. If facial expression was skating Patrick Chan should never win anything with his crossed eyed expression which would be a shame because he is a magnificent skater in spite of what some view as dubious judging in his favor.

If you want to watch for drama above the waist, that's great. I will enjoy skating instead.

I think you're missing my point in that performance/execution, choreography, and interpretation are all a part of figure skating. I don't think anyone is arguing that the basics of figure skating should not be the top consideration, but you can't ignore other important aspects of it as well. I think people are twisting what people mean by facial expressions. They don't mean that they want Yuna to become another Anjelika Krylova who was so over-the-top at times that Dick Button made a comment about projecting to the 50th row, but too bad this arena only has 30 rows. However, performance art requires something to go on behind a performer's eyes in order for spectators (and judges) to see if the skater is really understanding the music and choreography or if they're just going through the motions checking elements off.

Why do you think there was such a violent reaction after the pairs competition in 2002 (before anyone knew anything about the French judge)? Because Sale/Pelltier projected their routine in a way that better clicked with the live and television audiences than Berezhnaya/Sikharuldize (it also helped that Sale/Pelltier skated to familiar lovey-dovey music) . Rightly or wrongly, people care about that and it's a part of our sport.

Look at Virtue and Moir. They probably have the best skating skills and complex choreography out of the top dance teams at the moment. Yet, they continue to work on different sorts of choreography and expression, wanting to push the envelope in musical interpretation and presentation. They could only rely on their top skills, but they know it's important to showcase strong musical ability and danceability as well. Even Patrick Chan has been working on it because he knows that he was weak in that aspect.