Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Chan: Maybe I'm saving it for the Olympics; Phil Hersh article

Custom Title

Chan: Maybe I'm saving it for the Olympics; Phil Hersh article

"Maybe I'm just saving it for the Olympics." Patrick Chan

Hmmm, well I hope there are at least five or more other skaters saving something up too that might just trump any mistake-filled effort Patrick manages to come up with at the Olympics. If the judges treated Patrick like they treat most other competitors, he might be more universally well-liked for his immense talents.

I really wish Patrick wouldn't say things like that, and expect everyone to agree and to give him a bye and a pat on the bum like the judges seem addicted to doing. Frankly, even with 3 World championship wins, some of Patrick's competitors probably feel sorry for him, at the same time they might be a bit envious of the favoritism. If he skates great at the Olympics, he should win, if he doesn't, why not let someone else who makes a few lesser mistakes CoP a chance at gold.

Hersh article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,3288346.story

And Christine Brennan weighs in:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ships/1992075/

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    I think it speaks volumes about what that title means to Patrick Chan. He just won the World Championships and dismisses it as a "been there, done that" affair. The only thing that counts is that OGM. I thought this season might've started the discoronation? of Patrick Chan and the building up of Yuzuru as next Champion, but I was mistaken. Now I'm putting all my hopes in Yuzuru for that OGM, anyway.

Custom Title
    The worst of it is, the sport will just continue on as if nothing of import has happened and deflect the disgruntled rumblings with excuses and business as usual. Skaters, including Patrick Chan, have no other option but to fall in line, grin and bear it. Still, Patrick needs a long vacation, a wake-up call, and some tough love from the judges.

Banned
    the fact that he knows what went wrong with his score
    but dismisses it as to think the better skates wlll be at the Olympics

what happens when its the same by next Season ?? he will run out of excuses

Chanflated Fraud better be happy this happened in Canada or else he would have been Boo'ed at again
    Down with Chanflation

Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    The worst of it is, the sport will just continue on as if nothing of import has happened and deflect the disgruntled rumblings with excuses and business as usual.
    That is what I truly cannot stand. The skating establishment looks down its patrician nose from its high horse and tells the bewildered audience, if you don't like it, go study the rule book, bowing and applauding as you turn each page.

Custom Title
    what I hope Chan is saving for the olympics is a fall on every element and a last place finish. damn it, i just can't stand him!

I'm not any happier than anyone else that Chan's performance last night ended up winning the world championship, but come on, what was the guy supposed to say after that? It's a bloody weird situation, and skaters are pretty much expected to throw in a positive-ish statement after a disappointing performance about how they hope to do better in the future and yada yada yada. I doubt I'd have come up with the perfect soundbite on the spot either.

The problem isn't Chan or "Chanflation" specifically. He's the most glaring example of it so he's raked over the coals all the time, but it happens with other skaters, too: mistake-filled programs can end up scoring absurdly high in this system. It's not good for the sport. Something should be done about it. Same stuff people have been saying for years, in ladies' and pairs' as well as men's events. (I think ice dance is actually doing well under this system. I said it last year: whoever would have thought ~15 years ago that dance would become the least controversial event? )

Custom Title
    Chan is a very poor sport, and has been for quite a few years now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    That is what I truly cannot stand. The skating establishment looks down its patrician nose from its high horse and tells the bewildered audience, if you don't like it, go study the rule book, bowing and applauding as you turn each page.
    ITA. That's why the judges could give positive GOEs to two-footed and/or underrotate jumps while the audience was watching the slowmo.

Custom Title
    Chan is one of those skaters that thinks that Canada owes him something....He's not appreciated..Let hope that he falls of his high horse at the Olympics. Chan is raked over the coals because of his better than thou attitide. just saying

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MaiKatze View Post
    I think it speaks volumes about what that title means to Patrick Chan. He just won the World Championships and dismisses it as a "been there, done that" affair. The only thing that counts is that OGM. I thought this season might've started the discoronation? of Patrick Chan and the building up of Yuzuru as next Champion, but I was mistaken. Now I'm putting all my hopes in Yuzuru for that OGM, anyway.

Bah! Yuzuru is Patrick 2.0.

Another that can't keep himself vertical. No thanks.

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    ^Haha! I like to watch emotion on ice and with Yuzuru it seems like a drama almost every competition. Highs and Lows. It never get's boring. I didn't really like his programs this year, but the judges obviously did. I thought they were building him up for the title, but Yuzuru destroyed their hopes. And Javier as well, to a certain point. I can understand, if you don't like his skating, though. It is not everyones cup of tea.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Indeed. "Ah, but you just don't understand... Here, have some chocolate and go off and play with your toys, we grownups know best!" (condescending pat on head)

Banned
    Around now Patrick should just be keeping his mouth shut, unless he is going to admit he clearly did not deserve his win and ask the judges to stop giving him inflated scores and gift wins when he doesnt skate well as they are making him the laughing stock of the sport. If he isnt going to do that then best to keep quiet and say absolutely nothing for a couple months atleast.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by daphna View Post
    Chan is a very poor sport, and has been for quite a few years now.
    i honestly don't see much wrong with that quote, sure it wasn't the best thing to say at the moment, but he seems to have really tried to reign in his "off color" remarks and boasts over the past season or two. I think Patrick was honestly surprised and even embarrassed--its hard to know exactly how to behave in these circumstances.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast