2013 worlds pairs FS | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2013 worlds pairs FS

katia

On the Ice
There is no excuse for booing the Skaters of another Country. The Canadian Fans are very rude. They only cheer for their Countrymen and not when some one skates well. Shame on them.
So how was it that they cheered V/T --- do you mean they are Canadians???

Art&Sport

Medalist
I still cannot get over S/S silver. They should have ended up in 4th place. She doubled 3 sbs jumps, he fell on one. The last lift was messy too. It was gutsy to go for 3A, but that element does not even out the other mistakes (plus it was 2-footed). And the whole program was really uninspiring compared to what they have done in the past.

I would have:
V/T
D/R
MT-M/M

The judging was a travesty.... V/T score, S/S score, Zhang and partner beating Berton/Hotarek on PCS, M-T/M underscored. Who knows how many other details have I missed. Have to check protocols.

Yeah, argue your points, but once again, figure skating is subjective and you're arguing for your favorites so you're not unbiased. Few people are, even judges.

The sport is also political, and quite often teams who have excellent performances but are still up-and-coming like both Canadian teams, will not be necessarily vaulted right onto the podium, unless they happen to be better than average Russian pairs their first time together at Worlds (a la V/T a couple of seasons ago). ;) You gotta also remember that M-T/M are second place Canadians who missed out on going to Worlds last year. They have excellent choreo but are right now deemed behind D/R, no matter who personally favors whichever team for biased aesthetic reasons. It pains me to say this but with this sport, like Ziggy says, ya often gotta look at all the factors involved.

I think Carolina should have been marked down more for her mistake, even a point off for that ridiculous over-emoting too, but she's defending World champion from Italy and the lady has got some gams and some talent. Ha ha! The scoring in this sport is never fair, and there will always be arguing and debates. The judges sent a message to S/S in the sp, and it would have been some serious overkill had they lowered S/S marks from SB even more lower to push them to third. S/S being off podium for their efforts here would have looked really bad, and overly biased against them as defending World champions. What are Canadian fans seeking after all? The mantle of new can't beat 'em Russians??? :p

Take a deep breath and realize that Canadians as all competitors still have a lot of work to do going forward, and that right now Canadian fans should just be happy they have so many contenders at or near the top. What, you guys want to have your cake, icing, cherry on top, and eat it too??!! :unsure:

katia

On the Ice
Take a deep breath and realize that Canadians as all competitors still have a lot of work to do going forward, and that right now Canadian fans should just be happy they have so many contenders at or near the top. What, you guys want to have your cake, icing, cherry on top, and eat it too??!! :unsure:
YUP. So when American fans are not happy with placements it is OK because that means that fans are competitive and want medals for skaters. When it is Canadian fans, that means they should not want more and should be happy with what they have. Because, let's face it, they are Canadians not Americans or Russians :rolleye:

Art&Sport

Medalist
They cheered for V/T because they beat the Germans!

V/T were gonna beat the Germans even had Max stood on his head, or had V/T's program had any other minor errors sprinkled through it. V/T were relaxed knowing that S/S really were not breathing down their necks in any way, shape or form. V/T have been massaged all season long and they were finally skating up to their better quality here at Worlds and at Euros.

Writing was on the wall when both V/T and S/S came out of the blocks this season with meh performances, but S/S scared everyone in a bad way with their costumes so judges happily propped up V/T in many earlier comps this season, knowing that S/S would be spinning their wheels just to keep pace with their decidedly average to craptastic efforts this season. Again, got to give S/S credit for battling through with heart and courage, and for always trying to challenge themselves. Sure they've had concept, costume and music missteps this season and they're not getting any younger either. But me, I don't think that's gonna stop them.

If S/S and S still have a fire in them they're gonna burn things up in a good way next season. S/S have been through an awful lot throughout their career -- stuff which would have felled most teams. They've always had to fight for recognition, respect and rewards.

katia

On the Ice
Booing the judges is saying to the Germans: YOU DON'T DESERVE YOUR MEDAL!
And screaming "THE JUDGES SHOULD BE FIRED" during the awards ceremony is even worse.

It is rude and totally obnoxious behavior. I've always been told Canadians were the best and most supportive audiences for all the skaters, but the Pairs audience sure disproved that.

First of all, many in the audience were NOT Canadians. Secondly nowadays Canadians are changing and starting to behave like Americans, Germans, French or Chinese, blame it on globalization, immigration and internet. :biggrin:.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
First of all, many in the audience were NOT Canadians. Secondly nowadays Canadians are changing and starting to behave like Americans, Germans, French or Chinese, blame it on globalization, immigration and internet. :biggrin:.

Oh big YUP. :) A sports fan with an agenda is a sports fan who will brook no opposition. T'aint matter a damn where that sports fan is from.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Just out of curiosity, does anyone think Denney/Coughlin would have done better than Scimeca/Knierim if they had 1. been here and 2. been healthy?

I wonder...

Denney/ Coughlin are very steady technically and if they had been here and healthy, they would likely have placed somewhere around 6th or 7th. D/C were 8th at last year's Worlds.

This is what annoys me the most. There should be consequences of such crooked (or sloppy) judging, so that such situations won't repeat.

Well, Kinga, the enforcer. You are gonna have your hands full policing ISU judges! :p ;)

I suppose if this outrage repeats itself in favor of any Canadian skaters, that'd be cool with you. It has happened quite often in the past for Patrick Chan. Were you one of those outraged for Dai at last year's Worlds?

katia

On the Ice
I like S/S. I loved their long program and thought it was much better then the one V/T had. AND I really wanted them to beat V/T. But today they did not skated well and the program felt flat. So they should not have got the scores they have got.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The people who were booing WERE Canadian---they were outraged because the Germans beat the Canadian team for silver, instead of being overjoyed that the Canadian team was on the podium.

I just watched a video of D/W's SD, and there was applause, but not a standing ovation, despite the fact that D/W had shattered a world record with their score. Some people were just sitting there, not even applauding at all. I'm just hoping if D/W win the gold medal tomorrow, there won't be boos from the audience.

OTOH, any Canadian will automatically gets a standing ovation even if he/she/they bomb.

I have been to many competitions in the US, and I can't recall anyone being booed for placing above an American skater. Americans don't give standing ovations for every US performer, either. They give SOs for outstanding performances, regardless of the nationality of the skater.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The people who were booing WERE Canadian---they were outraged because the Germans beat the Canadian team for silver, instead of being overjoyed that the Canadian team was on the podium.

I just watched a video of D/W's SD, and there was applause, but not a standing ovation, despite the fact that D/W had shattered a world record with their score. Some people were just sitting there, not even applauding at all. I'm just hoping if D/W win the gold medal tomorrow, there won't be boos from the audience.

OTOH, any Canadian will automatically gets a standing ovation even if he/she/they bomb.

I have been to many competitions in the US, and I can't recall anyone being booed for placing above an American skater. Americans don't give standing ovations for every US performer, either. They give SOs for outstanding performances, regardless of the nationality of the skater.

Yes the Canadian crowds are quite biased but dont pretend American crowds or much or any better. Just look at their behavior at the 2002 Olympics for instance.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I like S/S. I loved their long program and thought it was much better then the one V/T had. AND I really wanted them to beat V/T. But today they did not skated well and the program felt flat. So they should not have got the scores they have got.

The way S/S skated was not necessarily flat, but their music and costumes were fairly flat IMO. And they probably have been battling some physical setbacks that they haven't been advertising. They need better music and fresh choreo to come out more inspired next season. Their choices were off-track this season. See my previous posts re the utterly pretentious huffing and puffing about S/S scores in the fp.

And, I can't believe you actually like S/S fp over V/T. Both programs are run of the mill in terms of concept and choreography. The difference is V/T have more aesthetically pleasing lines and Russian lineage, plus their program is more effective in highlighting some of their strengths, particularly after they got up to speed in performing it better this season. It's a conservative, safe program for V/T, and an underwhelming program from S/S that has done them no favors all season.

I could get more behind V/T if they would just think more outside the box and better explore what might lift them out of the ordinary Russian pairs team chest-pumping blahs.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
With the Olympics in Russia next year V&T are the closest thing to a sure thing for the gold imaginable. They will have to fall in the short program, then skate half the long program on their behind to not win, regardless how anyone else skates. Even if everyone skated perfectly they would have won by alot here, and that is on neutral ground. On home turf and with the momentum behind them they are the overwhelming favorites.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Yes the Canadian crowds are quite biased but dont pretend American crowds or much or any better. Just look at their behavior at the 2002 Olympics for instance.

Ah, don't blame the U.S. crowd for the North American favoritism in a U.S. city. S/P skated great and B/S also aside from Anton's miscue. But the fix was in big time amongst the feds and the judges, and once again who's to blame for that? Certainly not the U.S. crowd, nor clueless Sandra and Scott, and especially not the skaters. The ISU takes the blame for the entire scandal because they should have been hard at work years earlier examining and trying to resolve the sport's obvious problems, instead of keeping their heads buried in the sand until the unwanted public scandal hit the fan.

Implementing CoP has not solved any problems, only created new ones.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

to be fair 2002 audience was not great either in Pairs,

and if V/M wins over D/W in FD even if they might have a dragging Carmen performance , then that is a Huge Scandal.
Audience should support skaters no matter what the Nationality, some skaters didn't got any claps/cheers , they were skating as if we can hear crickets in the background.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Ah, don't blame the U.S. crowd for the North American favoritism in a U.S. city. S/P skated great and B/S also aside from Anton's miscue. But the fix was in big time amongst the feds and the judges, and once again who's to blame for that? Certainly not the U.S. crowd, nor clueless Sandra and Scott, and especially not the skaters. The ISU takes the blame for the entire scandal because they should have been hard at work years earlier examining and trying to resolve the sport's obvious problems, instead of keeping their heads buried in the sand until the unwanted public scandal hit the fan.

Implementing CoP has not solved any problems, only created new ones.

I am not just referring to their reaction to the pairs event (although that was indeed quite bad) but their booing Goebel's IMO generous scores, especialy for presentation; their lividness at Kwan's short program scores which were in fact too high, and she did not even deserve to win the SP over Slutskaya, and just the general tenure and over the top pro American which was every bit as partial as the Canadians here.

jfdw

Rinkside
Chuckum
You reply with such conviction that the boos heard were all from Canadians. I presume then that you were in the audience in London. If you were not how could you possibly know. I was watching the feed on tv and I could hear the noise yes but the audience was not panned and there was no way I could know that every boo came from a Canadian fan. Neither could even if you were there. Unless you could see them with a Canadian flag or piece of clothing denoting there were indeed Canadian. I have watche for years and in every competition there are boos and rumblings from the crowd when they do not like the marks. So please get off the backs of the Canadians every other country is just as guilty at one time or another. I believe they cheered V/T because they felt they deserved what they had won.
jfdw