2013 worlds pairs FS | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2013 worlds pairs FS

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Rewatching D/R on CBC TV - they really have no flow out of any of their big tricks do they? They were crawling into the throw 3lutz. I hope this pushes MT/M to dethrone them next season - MT/M wuz robbed!!!! ;)

I think MT/M have a HUGE potential. I like them more than D/R now, sorry(

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The fact there isn't a trillion of raging posts and that quite a few people (some of them Canadian!) actually defended the result is the biggest surprise of the World Championships so far. ;)

(I'm totally on the fence myself. I don't think S/S skated well and I would not mark them so highly on the PCS for this performance but if they made the level features and D/R failed to do so, fair play.)

I think the lack of outrage is seeing the protocols and noting that for D/R the 3S were UR (I actually thought they might be when I saw the replay of Meagan's), and the slower lifts and death spirals of the Canadians. And the 3A at the end while flawed was gutsy, so I can appreciate the Germans actually going for broke and it paying off.

I'm actually more outraged that M-T/M were severely underscored in the SP, and should have cleared 200, maybe even taken the bronze if not for D/R's high difficulty.

Bottom line: I think we all knew that there was no way the Canadians would beat the Germans regardless of how they skated, and this proved it.

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
The judges use GOE hold up skater, how a flawed element can get +1 and +2 instead of a deduction is beyond me...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Great skate from Tanya/Max :clap:
guess the vodoo and rabid cursing didn't work :laugh:

S/S were overscored, D/R should have gotten silver

Art&Sport

Medalist
The Germans could still win gold.

Ha ha, like I said seriously? Come on, the crowning of V/T for Sochi began a few years ago and this is the ultimate anointing. TPTB wanted to give it to V/T last year, but V/T had a crappy sp and skated it so crappily, plus S/S had an innovative fp and were gunning for more difficulty with their throw 3-axel, which they two-footed in their sp last season. The sp scoring was just a sort of jab at S/S (despite D/R's great skate). For D/R to be a few points in front of S/S after sp, even they were shocked at that. D/R were shooting for bronze and they have it! Cheers for D/R. And of course, V/T deserved to win here. S/S were not completely on their game all season. Their effort to be different this season was totally miscalculated from their original :eek: costumes in both programs to music selection for their fp. But S/S toughed it out with class, like they always do.

However, I'm in no way surprised at all the huffing and puffing and dissing of S/S. They will never receive the full respect they deserve from TPTB and from some short-sighted and biased fans. S/S are one of those underdog teams, even as defending 4-time World champions, who have to keep proving themselves over and over. Yes, they have won 4 World championships, but that's because they deserved those championships however grudgingly the judges gave them the points. Being a few decimals behind D/R in sp was an in-your-face tsk tsk to S/S by skating community:

"You guys are old, and you didn't bring innovative and inspiring programs this season, so nah, nah, now you've got to fight just to make second place! We hope it will be all about your crappy costumes next season too, cuz there's no way you're gonna get Olympic gold ever, ever. You'll be lucky to get another Olympic bronze. V/T are aesthetically so much better than you even if they don't yet have a well-defined style and are only relying on their Russian lines and clout. Even if V/T come up with more boring programs next season, V/T will be propped because come on, they're Russian pairs and the tradition is gonna get back on track just in time."

Ya know, even when they burst onto the scene with their breath of fresh air skating at 2005 Worlds, S/S were soundly sent the message to wait their turn. They were better than some teams in front of them, clearly! But they received two 6th place finishes at Worlds before finally ISU judges had to give in and start rewarding them. They were just too good, too original and innovative. Even the attacks against Steuer and the effort to break up the threesome did not work. They remained steadfast and loyal to each other and they changed pairs skating in the process. Keep turning up your noses people. I hope S/S go home and retool and come out next season to Shock and Awe! Obviously, that's what they'll have to do ... move mountains and wrought miracles, just to even begin to come close to the slightest possibility of edging V/T. Of course, S/S will also be fighting not only against judges, biased skating fans, Russians and the powerful Russian federation, their own federation, and their hugely talented competitors, but also against father time's effects on their bodies. More power to you S/S and S!!!

Like another poster here said: S/S Never Give Up!!! And they never rest on their laurels. Ha ha, that someone here also said S/S put in the 3-axel at the end of their fp to scare other teams. S/S don't need to scare other teams, they have respect for other teams and for figure skating. And other pairs teams actually do respect S/S (even if they never say so). Other teams are also in awe of S/S's talent and chutzpah. A measure of that respect is the way in which S/S and S's pairs innovations have been copied by other teams over the years. I think Tatiana idolizes Aliona, and fancies herself in Aliona's image -- she trained with Aliona under Steuer prior to pairing with Maxim. During that tenure, Tatiana picked up quite a few of Aliona's mannerisms. V/T and S/S are hugely competitive with each other, but they also have a great deal of respect for each other too. D/R are over the moon to have been considered in the same class as S/S at these Worlds. Put that in your pipe and smoke it all you critiquers!!!

tulosai

Record Breaker
After some thought, intellectually I understand the placements and have no more issues with it. I hope s/s are able to fully recover during the off season and develop interesting programs (i really liked pina and send in the clowns).

Really happy for both Canadian teams... 3 spots! 3rd and 4th! I think it is kind of perfect place for them... high enough to gain international recognition and close enough where they sense they can do better.

Same.

The levels are what they are. I guess I understand that. And I would argue that's all the more reason why this scoring system is alienating people from the sport.

I felt much more alienated by arbitrary scoring that I didn't understand at all. At least now I know exactly what's going on, whether I agree with it or not (and I often don't).

I honestly don't care that the levels of D/R lifts weren't as high. I thought they were more musically appropriate and better executed.

Really? Radford is one of the weakest 'lifters' in pair skating. S/S did execute their lifts quite well, it wasn't just the levels. Savchenko's positions in them are better than Duhamel's as well.

It simply allows for the judges to make up excuses for why one skater or team is propped up over another.

If you believe that's what the judges do, then it doesn't matter which system they will use. I think the level features are actually quite objective. Of course mistakes will be made but callers are only human.

I warrant that S/S probably do have better SS and deserved the score they got for that, but no way did they have better performance, transition, choreography or interpretation than D/R. That's where D/R had them absolutely trounced.

No way. S/S had far more complex choreography and more transitions. They have better postures and lines and whilst they didn't project well their movement was in character of the music. So most PE boxes were ticked as well. As far as IN goes, their timing seemed ok. I would have lowered S/S's PE score somewhat for not being bothered much but I don't see anything wrong with their other scores being as high as they were.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
If there's any holding up, it's not because of nationality, it's just deference to the team that's dominated pairs skating for quite a while, until this season (and the last, really) when the cracks are starting to show. If things were reversed, and the Canadians were the four time world champions up against a newly successful German team, the judges would give the Canucks the higher marks, too... probably.

And having looked at the list of recent World Pairs medalists, I hope D/R can reverse the trend from the last 5 years, where winning the World bronze seems to trigger an immediate slide: Dubé/Davison broke up the partnership, and now neither skater is doing well. Kavaguti/Smirnov won bronze twice, but seems to get more and more behind with each season. Pang/Tong are geriatrics muddling about before they go off to have babies. Takahashi/Tran broke up soon after winning bronze. What horrible fate will befall Duhamel and Radford?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
The Germans could still win gold.

Im surprised you didn't go with D/R for Gold, lmao
I suppose some will just scream wuzrobbed like the crocodile tears of S/P

S/S were overscored, D/R should have won silver
just be happy Canada locks all three spots for all 4 disciplines

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Some judging faux-pases:

- V/T got a 10.00 on performance/execution with a fall :confused:

- S/S got two +1's for their two-footed triple axel :confused::confused:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Im surprised you didn't go with D/R for Gold, lmao
I suppose some will just scream wuzrobbed like the crocodile tears of S/P

S/S were overscored, D/R should have won silver
just be happy Canada locks all three spots for all 4 disciplines

They won't for ladies, but assuming Osmond does well, it's looking like 11 spots for Canada at the Olympics/2014 Worlds, which is unpredecented, I think.

I'm just thrilled to see the Canadians skating so well. It's been ages since we've had TWO world-podium worthy pairs teams on the national team. It's a big ask, but to have two top 5 placements in men's/pairs/ice dance and a top 5 in women's would be arguably our most successful Worlds. And a medal in every discipline would bode well... especially for the Olympic team event.

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR & Maxim TRANKOV (RUS) - 225.71 Free Skate
2. Aliona SAVCHENKO & Robin SZOLKOWY (GER) - 205.56
3. Meagan DUHAMEL & Eric RADFORD (CAN) - 204.56 Free Skate
4. Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS & Dylan MOSCOVITCH (CAN) - 199.50 Free Skate
5. Qing PANG & Jian TONG (CHN) - 194.64 Free Skate
6. Yuko KAVAGUTI & Alexander SMIRNOV (RUS) - 191.59
7. Vera BAZAROVA & Yuri LARIONOV (RUS) - 184.72
8. Vanessa JAMES & Morgan CIPRES (FRA) - 180.17 Free Skate
9. Alexa SCIMECA & Chris KNIERIM (USA) - 173.51
10. Stefania BERTON & Ondrej HOTAREK (ITA) - 171.77

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I don't know why but I feel Russian vibes from you ahah=)

lets just say, there was no reason they would not have won, V/T would have scored a 150+ if it wasn't for Maxim fluke fall
those who claim S/S should have won are nothing but rabid jealousy, they were already overscored and should have only gotten bronze

Some judging faux-pases:

- V/T got a 10.00 on performance/execution with a fall :confused:

There's nothing about falls in the PE criteria. If a skater falls but doesn't let that fall affect his performance and meets all of the criteria, that is theoretically possible.

(V/T didn't obviously deserve a 10 for that performance of that program :p but just making a general point ;))

- S/S got two +1's for their two-footed triple axel :confused::confused:

And the judges didn't go lower than -1 either, even though a double-footed landing is a -3 deduction (well it can be less if you think it was just a slight touch down but that was more than the free foot scraping the ice)

They also gave S/S +2s for a triple twist with a big crash. S/S got higher GOE on the 3tw than D/R who actually had a clean one, executed brilliantly with a strong catch.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
They won't for ladies, but assuming Osmond does well, it's looking like 11 spots for Canada at the Olympics/2014 Worlds, which is unpredecented, I think.

I'm just thrilled to see the Canadians skating so well. It's been ages since we've had TWO world-podium worthy pairs teams on the national team. It's a big ask, but to have two top 5 placements in men's/pairs/ice dance and a top 5 in women's would be arguably our most successful Worlds. And a medal in every discipline would bode well... especially for the Olympic team event.

I agree :thumbsup:
Congrats To Canada , I think this was even more successful than Vancouver with many podium contenders

leafygreens

Final Flight
I have not watched the videos yet, but according to the scores S/S and D/R were very close compared to the other competitors (1 point). So if S/S deserved the silver then it wasn't that convincingly.

Yeah, it's been a while or may be never since Canada has had this big of a presence.

I think people would be less alienated by the scoring system if they tried to understand how it works. ;)

But the problem is, fans don't want to be given a homework assignment. They just want to enjoy the competition.