2013 worlds pairs FS | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2013 worlds pairs FS

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I think Jerry Seinfeld has a stand-up bit on that. He says that the silver medallist knows they're the best "loser" but the bronze medallist is just happy to be there. Or something like that.

I was just thinking that I recall that from my university psych text: the bronze medalist is commonly happier than the silver medalist because of what they're comparing themselves to.

And the gold medalist...seems if they're a favourite to win going in they often seem more relieved than ecstatic.

If I was D/R, I'd be banging my head against the wall now instead of being happy with bronze. They could have easily had the silver, had they not failed on meeting so many level features.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The Russians' GOE was through the roof and level 4's on everything.

The Germans got good GOE on their lifts and the triple axel got them about 7.4 points. Another determining factor was that apparently D/R underrotated the triple salchow and one of the double toe loops on it. Plus D/R got only level 3's on all three of their lifts and death spiral.

So, points-wise, it kinda makes sense the Germans won silver... but to a casual viewer, Duhamel/Radford had no major errors while the Germans had 3 triples turned to doubles, a fall, and a two-footed throw (albeit on a triple axel) .

Very cool that they got an actual choir to sing the Russian national anthem! (Should have also sang the Ukrainian one for Tatiana. :p) I wonder what they'll do if Denis Ten wins! Quick, somebody learn the Kazakh national anthem! ;)

Sabrina

Record Breaker
My winners are 1. V/S 2. D/R 3. TM/M. My favorites over all: TM/M. They were amazing, beyond the points and deductions. Their free is so fluid, lyric, filled with love. The music helps also. I always loved this program, and they skate so well. Amazing! They should have been on the podium. S/S medal was a sad joke.

I was just thinking that I recall that from my university psych text: the bronze medalist is commonly happier than the silver medalist because of what they're comparing themselves to.

And the gold medalist...seems if they're a favourite to win going in they often seem more relieved than ecstatic.

The silver medallists are the least happy because they have lost the gold. The bronze is just happy to be on the podium at all.

Savchenko/Szolkowy don't seem to have ego issues. When the cameras showed them about to walk out to the podium, they looked quite embarrassed and shrugged at each other.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
My winners are 1. V/S 2. D/R 3. TM/M. My favorites over all: TM/M. They were amazing, beyond the points and deductions. Their free is so fluid, lyric, filled with love. The music helps also. I always loved this program, and they skate so well. Amazing! They should have been on the podium. S/S medal was a sad joke.

New pair? ;)

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
The Russians' GOE was through the roof and level 4's on everything.

The Germans got good GOE on their lifts and the triple axel got them about 7.4 points. Another determining factor was that apparently D/R underrotated the triple salchow and one of the double toe loops on it. Plus D/R got only level 3's on all three of their lifts and death spiral.

So, points-wise, it kinda makes sense the Germans won silver... but to a casual viewer, Duhamel/Radford had no major errors while the Germans had 3 triples turned to doubles, a fall, and a two-footed throw (albeit on a triple axel) .

Very cool that they got an actual choir to sing the Russian national anthem! (Should have also sang the Ukrainian one for Tatiana. :p) I wonder what they'll do if Denis Ten wins! Quick, somebody learn the Kazakh national anthem! ;)

Yeah, I don't think there was any plan for the judges to cheat and put the Germans ahead of the Canadians; I just think that's how the system works and I'm not thrilled with it. Same thing I usually say when a result like this happens.

I thought the choir thing was cool also. Are they able to sing every national anthem, or what? I don't recall seeing that before.

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
This was a farce. I love SS, but they didn't deserve the marks they got. I just hope that there is enough backlash about the judging of this competition, that we see some changes next year. Yeah, not holding my breath... VT and SS will get gold and silver at the Olympics whether they skate well or not. It's in situations like this my love for figure skating is tested, how can you explain these results to casual viewers??

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If I was D/R, I'd be banging my head against the wall now instead of being happy with bronze. They could have easily had the silver, had they not failed on meeting so many level features.

True. But it shouldn't have mattered. The Germans had multiple major errors. It's hard to take figure skating seriously as a sport when a program with several errors places 2nd in the FS and the team places 2nd overall.

I'm anticipating the same will happen in the ladies with Carolina making errors and still gifted the silver (though I would hope that she goes clean and justifies her medal).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Even though I'm Canadian, I agree with the placement of S/S...D/R had some sloppy endings and they just don't have the finish that S/S do yet. But still a big congrats to them for a Bronze medal!

I agree. The Germans are just smoother with all their movements, especially their transition, and more graceful. D/R have the tricks, but their execution is choppy and sometimes even sloppy; there isn't much transition between elements. Also, because Robin and Aljona aren't that different in height, their lines when they skate together are cleaner and more pleasing to the eye. Eric and Meagan are so different in size that they have little symmetry.

If S/S hadn't done the 3A throw at the end of the program, D/R would have won silver. I think it was very gutsy of Aljona and Robin to go for it.

samson

Medalist
The levels are what they are. I guess I understand that. And I would argue that's all the more reason why this scoring system is alienating people from the sport. I honestly don't care that the levels of D/R lifts weren't as high. I thought they were more musically appropriate and better executed. I hate having to wait for the protocols to be released so I can "understand" why the scoring is the way it is. There is nothing about this system that is more transparent. It simply allows for the judges to make up excuses for why one skater or team is propped up over another.

Honestly though, even with the levels, difficulty etc... the other place D/R were robbed was in the PCS. I warrant that S/S probably do have better SS and deserved the score they got for that, but no way did they have better performance, transition, choreography or interpretation than D/R. That's where D/R had them absolutely trounced. I would haver had D/R at least a point higher than S/S on all four of those which would have given them a 5.6 point advantage there. Factor in the difference in SS of .91 it would have come to 4.69 and the silver would have gone to D/R.

S/S are wonderful skaters but this was simply not their night. Yet again the NJS showing its flaws and holes. What's really a shame is that not only does this system alienate the fans, but it seems to only exasperate the problems it was put in place to eliminate. Bureaucracy and politics at its finest. :rolleye:

The fact there isn't a trillion of raging posts and that quite a few people (some of them Canadian!) actually defended the result is the biggest surprise of the World Championships so far. ;)

(I'm totally on the fence myself. I don't think S/S skated well and I would not mark them so highly on the PCS for this performance but if they made the level features and D/R failed to do so, fair play.)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yeah, I don't think there was any plan for the judges to cheat and put the Germans ahead of the Canadians; I just think that's how the system works and I'm not thrilled with it. Same thing I usually say when a result like this happens.

I thought the choir thing was cool also. Are they able to sing every national anthem, or what? I don't recall seeing that before.

Yes, but the PCS scores for so many errors was considerably high.

I'm wondering why D/R scored only level 3 on all their lifts? I haven't checked back to what they did at Skate Canada, but in that FS they got all level 4's for their lifts. :confused:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
P/T seem to be following the usual Chinese Pairs' evolution: great technical skaters for oh, the first 70 or 80 years competing, then all of sudden they seem to develop great artistry.

:D

Seriously though, I thought P/T had the most "beautiful" skate of the day, but you do have to give the best sbs spins award to the Russians.

I guess now we can talk about V/T-flation. Yes, they deserved the win, but that is a program of *big tricks* and not much else. And so it goes...

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
This was a farce. I love SS, but they didn't deserve the marks they got. I just hope that there is enough backlash about the judging of this competition, that we see some changes next year. Yeah, not holding my breath... VT and SS will get gold and silver at the Olympics whether they skate well or not. It's in situations like this my love for figure skating is tested, how can you explain these results to casual viewers??

I thought the difference is visible) They skate bigger...It's like D/W and V/M, seriously

artsciboy

On the Ice
Rewatching D/R on CBC TV - they really have no flow out of any of their big tricks do they? They were crawling into the throw 3lutz. I hope this pushes MT/M to dethrone them next season - MT/M wuz robbed!!!! ;)

flaneur

On the Ice
After some thought, intellectually I understand the placements and have no more issues with it. I hope s/s are able to fully recover during the off season and develop interesting programs (i really liked pina and send in the clowns).

Really happy for both Canadian teams... 3 spots! 3rd and 4th! I think it is kind of perfect place for them... high enough to gain international recognition and close enough where they sense they can do better.