2013 worlds pairs FS | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2013 worlds pairs FS

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Neither Berezhnaya / Sikharulidze nor Sale / Pelletier were American. If there were protests from the crowd over the outcome of the Pairs event, it must have been from the Canadians---after all, the Olympics is a major international event and there were people from many different countries in the audience.

But at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, when D/W took the ice for the FD, the Canadians in the crowd chanted "Canada! Canada! Canada!" I doubt the chant came from anyone other than Canadians or rabid V/M fans.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I'm totally ok with the results. To be honest I thought that S/S might've been out of the medals, and was kind of surprised they were still in it. Thing is even if they skated perfectly they would have lost it here. I really hope they will have great programs next year. But I think that OGM is almost a done deal now for V/T. This just wasn't the season for S/S.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I'm totally ok with the results. To be honest I thought that S/S might've been out of the medals, and was kind of surprised they were still in it. Thing is even if they skated perfectly they would have lost it here. I really hope they will have great programs next year. But I think that OGM is almost a done deal now for V/T. This just wasn't the season for S/S.

I wonder if V&T win the gold in Sochi as expected if they will stay for the 2018 Olympics in Korea or retire after the 2014 season, or something in between. I think they should stay for the 2018 Olympics regardless.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I wonder if V&T win the gold in Sochi as expected if they will stay for the 2018 Olympics in Korea or retire after the 2014 season, or something in between. I think they should stay for the 2018 Olympics regardless.

Trankov is already 29 and he mentioned many times they will retire after 2014

2018 we will probably see only Bazarova/Larionov, Stolbova/Klimov , Fedorova/Miroshkin, Antipova/Maisuradze or other Pairs as New Russian Top Teams

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
V/T aren't that young anymore, right? Sorry, I don't know their ages, but they seem to be veteran-like. Another 4 years - a long time. By the way S/S know they didn't do well, and I guess they also feel that they can be happy to have silver. You could read a german swear word from Robins lips after the skate. :unsure:

Art&Sport

Medalist
... S/S medal was a sad joke.

About as jokey as some of Patrick Chan's medals, eh? If S/S being on the podium in second place is such a "sad joke," then my dear Sabrina, the joke's on you. :p

The silver medallists are the least happy because they have lost the gold. The bronze is just happy to be on the podium at all.

Savchenko/Szolkowy don't seem to have ego issues. When the cameras showed them about to walk out to the podium, they looked quite embarrassed and shrugged at each other.

Any pair with "ego issues" has to get rid of them fast to remain partners and hope to contend.

Aliona and Robin have always been a class act. They have heart, courage, character and great sportsmanship. They also always want to win and always challenge themselves instead of worrying about other teams. They respect other teams but their thoughts seem to always be on what they can do better. This was a tough season, but S/S knew it would be a long haul to even try making it to Sochi. S/S are champions with vision and perspective. It'll be interesting to see if they and Steuer have anything left to surmount the challenges facing them next season.

At this point, I'm philosophical about S/S chances next season cuz like I said, they'd have to wrought miracles just to get the judges to consider regarding them as contenders for top spot next season. IOW, they've gotta come up with something extra special but not too way out. They gotta be running on all cylinders, which they were not this season. I think S/S and S are very aware of the fact that they have to constantly prove themselves. Nothing was ever given to S/S, not even this silver medal, despite what so many of you guys think. If we armchair fans only knew what it takes and what many of these skaters are up against just to be able to train year after year.

tdnuva

On the Ice
May I add a remark about S&S' bolero.... and perhaps I should start with saying, I am a GREAT T&D fan - therefore my nick! So I know T&D's bolero quite well and see all the problems a pair and/or choreographer has to try to skate to that music (even more so after T&D).

What S&S obviously tried and to a certain degree managed to do is to stress the style of their recording (in contrast to the building up motive of T&D which was especially constructed and stressed in their special-tailored recording). S&S held on to the repetitive features of the music instead of building the music up (like T&D did) - and they held on to that concept. No arms flailing all over the place or anything like that. It might look as "boring" to many people - I'd rather say it was consequently portraying the music. Their fp has a stringent style and I applaud them for holding on to a concept - even if not everyone understands it. Personally I prefer that a lot to all that arm flailing all over the place and no matter whichever music is on. Somehow I am always hoping that quality will finally succeed. It didn't work perfectly this season that way - but there is still hope for the future.

fairly4

Medalist
When American boo someone it is directed at judges, refs, cumpires, not at team or atete. Because the fan saw something they didnt and need to be told to have a fair playing field. Comes Wewith our Constitution about free speech and equal eyes under the law and Godng field among - coaaall.cim

Sabrina

Record Breaker
About as jokey as some of Patrick Chan's medals, eh? If S/S being on the podium in second place is such a "sad joke," then my dear Sabrina, the joke's on you. :p

I don't like Chan so much, and I strongly disagree with some PCS marks he usually gets, with or without mistakes. As I said, I am almost sorry for S/S, as I love them. They did not need that controversial score. They were sad when they got the medals, and I don't think they were sad for losing the gold medal. Things like this happens in sports like figure skating or gymnastics. People are biased by nature...

Art&Sport

Medalist
M-T/M got the second highest TES of the afternoon.

It was so weird with S/S. Throughout their whole FS, they looked like they have given up. Didn't even present the program properly. And then BAM! they go for the throw 3axel.

Well, the so-called "wierd" has been going on all season long. What did you think they were gonna finally overcome that draggy music on this occasion? Surely you saw S/S's Euros performance. The best to be expected here was a little bit more fire and commitment, but seriously once again how could they with the self-defeating rhythm of that music?! It takes imaginative and unusual choreo to deal with that crap, which is impossible IMO under CoP as a pairs or even singles skater. That music grates on the nerves. Christopher Dean found a unique way to fashion moves never seen before on the ice to play games with Bolero and ultimately to rise above the music.

S/S fp was craptastic from when they first chose that impossible music. You've got to be Christopher Dean and Jayne Torvill unique ice dancers to skate to that annoying Bolero nonsense. The fact Christopher was able to make that music memorable is a serious anomaly. My heart dropped as soon as I heard what S/S were choosing for their fp music this season.

Why should S/S be inspired skating to that music in those costumes? They did the best they could, and frankly as I said before, they are both probably dealing with physical issues they have been keeping under wraps.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Sabrina said:
I don't like Chan so much, and I strongly disagree with some PCS marks he usually gets, with or without mistakes. As I said, I am almost sorry for S/S, as I love them. They did not need that controversial score. They were sad when they got the medals, and I don't think they were sad for losing the gold medal. Things like this happens in sports like figure skating or gymnastics. People are biased by nature...

You need to close quote when you are quoting, Sabrina: with left bracket, then backslash, then QUOTE, then right bracket.

If S/S were sad about anything, it was their choice in music and costumes this season and the fact they didn't skate their best and weren't able to do anything special with that awful music, and also probably the fact the crowd booed their scores which were well below their season's best. I seriously doubt S/S felt they should have been off the podium here. If you think that S/S are sad about not being in third place or off the podium, then sadly once again, the joke's on you.

And, btw, S/S score is controversial mainly to Canadian fans of 3rd place D/R and overall 5th place M-T/M. Forget about those other ailing golden oldies 4th place Pang/ Tong, eh?

mskater93

Record Breaker
First of all, many in the audience were NOT Canadians. Secondly nowadays Canadians are changing and starting to behave like Americans, Germans, French or Chinese, blame it on globalization, immigration and internet. :biggrin:.

Yeah, didn't Canadians learn how to riot when their team loses the Stanley Cup?:laugh::laugh:

Art&Sport

Medalist
Oh big YUP. :) A sports fan with an agenda is a sports fan who will brook no opposition. T'aint matter a damn where that sports fan is from.

Ha, ha, yes, WeakAnkles and thank you. Anyone ever attended a baseball game wearing a jersey for the opposing team?! Just listening to the comments from spectators at a baseball game or even a tennis match can burn your ears and maybe even damage your eardrums.

I seem to recall that being in the audience at 2003 Worlds some observers were clamoring for Tim Goebel to beat Plush. Of course that wasn't gonna happen but it didn't keep people from expressing their displeasure, even tho' there wasn't any real booing.

That year at Worlds, however, there was definitely loud booing of Cinquanta when he came out to present the medals to the ladies champions with MK atop the podium. Some people in the crowd did try to hush those who were booing, but that's not detectable when all that can be heard during a broadcast is the loudest boos. Of course that was the year of the ill-fated and ill-planned attempt to overthrow the ISU. The USFS and U.S. skating fans have been paying in one way or another for those boos in our nation's capitol directed toward Cinquanta, ever since.

Once again, Kinga, what are you and some other Canadian fans wanting exactly, to have your cake, the icing, the cherry on top, and eat it too?! No way were both D/R and M-T/M gonna make the podium at this year's Worlds. I'm sure both teams feel satisfied to be in the top five, except I'm pretty sure M-T/M feel it should have been them standing on the podium instead of D/R. However, again, any pairs team who is planning on pouting will have their coaches kicking it out of 'em fairly soon enough. Canadian pairs should be celebrating and then putting their noses back to the grindstone to keep improving if they want a podium repeat at Worlds and Olympics next year. It ain't gonna be easy for any team, except of course, V/T. ;)

Everybody else, including all three Canadian pairs are gonna have to fend off 2nd and 3rd Russian teams, not to mention the Chinese, and even possibly a top U.S. team. :p

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Canada sucks. It's people are awful. They shouldn't be let out of zoos let alone to sporting events. Seriously, how the UN doesn't bomb them is beyond me. They need to take after their politer neighbours to the south (and north). Americans are clearly a superior specimen of humanity.

That said, the audience booing was rude and unfair. Massively disappointing to hear i

Skating, on the other hand, I think the podium is correct.

V/T: You know, I really don't like their choreography. But they are such gifted skaters. What they do well is the class of the field. Scoring is ridiculously high for a skate with a glaring flaw. But we expect that - it didn't affect the podium so we don't care too much. They are clearly the best bet for gold in Sochi from the five disciplines. And if they skate like they do here, we can't complain when they win. I wish Maxim wasn't beating himself so much.

S/S: A flat but fascinating program. Intriguingly put together. Gutsy ending. But too many mistakes here and there and it just underwhelmed.

D/R: You know, when someone says that they respect what this team does but doesn't really love it, I totally understand. This team has just a lot of obstacles to overcome. They don't have a great match (even the height difference is exagerrated because he's long limbed and she isn't really). His lift technique isn't great. They are COP through and through - they prefer athletic difficulty to aesthetic beauty. But I like that they go for some gutsy content. I like that they push the PCS aspect equally. They don't have the best performance quality in terms of projection and interpretation, and they need to work on that (and her lines). But a strong performance (and yes, I could totally see the exact moment they lost the level in the death spiral).

Mt/M: Did anyone find this a little cautious? They were really focused on the music, admittedly, and tried to convey it's softness, but I felt they sacrificed just a little bit of the intensity that made this program as great as it has been. It wasn't a flat out skate

K/S: The lift mistake cost them, but I thought they were undescored a little. I think they should've stayed in the top five.

Happy that Canada earned three spots, and with a bullet too. Happy that France and Italy earned two. Think next year at US Nationals will be a bloodbath.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you, ImaginaryPogue. Although I don't agree that Canadians are bad and Americans good (we all have our bad apples), I do think the booing incidents are disappointing and disheartening.

I agree with your points about the Pairs.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Thank you, ImaginaryPogue. Although I don't agree that Canadians are bad and Americans good (we all have our bad apples), I do think the booing incidents are disappointing and disheartening.

I agree with your points about the Pairs.

And honestly, I know you're more irritated at Kwong's hypocrisy and double standard, so my opening salvo was uncalled for.

rain

Record Breaker
Thank you, ImaginaryPogue. ...I do think the booing incidents are disappointing and disheartening.

Agreed. I understand that spectators who boo are, generally, booing the scores and the officials who determined them, but with a skater or pair sitting in the kiss and cry while it happens, it can't help but be felt to be rather uncomfortably directed at the skaters themselves, which I think is completely unfair. I didn't like it when Chan's scores were booed and I don't like it now with S/S.

It's too bad V/T's magnificent performance has been somewhat overshadowed. Because that? That was what I've been missing in pairs skating for a long time. V/T were stunning — they're just quality, quality, quality. That section where they did mirroring spirals down the length of the ice? Gorgeous. That triple twist was out of this world. Just stunning. But...can someone please give this incredible pair choreography that matches the level of their talent? Please? It's not that it was bad, it just wasn't special enough, IMO, for what this team is.

I'm thrilled for D/R. They are fighters and got all out for the most difficult technical elements. I confess, though, that I love M-T/M more. Hopefully with this worlds result they'll start to get a bit more respect in terms of scores. I think their stock was definitely affected by their disastrous season last year. Great to see such a comeback. For me, they had the second best FS of the night.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I am not just referring to their reaction to the pairs event (although that was indeed quite bad) but their booing Goebel's IMO generous scores, especialy for presentation; their lividness at Kwan's short program scores which were in fact too high, and she did not even deserve to win the SP over Slutskaya, and just the general tenure and over the top pro American which was every bit as partial as the Canadians here.

Oh gosh, Michelle Kwan Pell is someone everyone should aspire to be like. As far as 2002, pfft, Michelle is on to another chapter of her life which still involves hard work and giving every ounce of who she is to inspire others. Even Irina was inspired by the example and excellence and magic Michelle wrought on the ice. Apples and oranges re who should have won sp in SLC. Someone else will say a skater other than Irina or Michelle should have won the sp. Who cares at this point?

Irina had her backers and Michelle had hers. If 2002 Olympics had taken place in Russia, Irina most likely would have won gold in the end, instead of Sarah. When Michelle came out to skate her exhibition performance in 2002, the crowd gave her a standing ovation even before her transcendent performance of Fields of Gold. The memory of that performance and of many of MK's performances through the years are worth much more than a potful of Olympic gold medals.

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR & Maxim TRANKOV (RUS) - 225.71 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, Medal Ceremony, Interview
2. Aliona SAVCHENKO & Robin SZOLKOWY (GER) - 205.56 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
3. Meagan DUHAMEL & Eric RADFORD (CAN) - 204.56 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS & Dylan MOSCOVITCH (CAN) - 199.50 Free Skate
5. Qing PANG & Jian TONG (CHN) - 194.64 Free Skate
6. Yuko KAVAGUTI & Alexander SMIRNOV (RUS) - 191.59 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
7. Vera BAZAROVA & Yuri LARIONOV (RUS) - 184.72 Free Skate
8. Vanessa JAMES & Morgan CIPRES (FRA) - 180.17 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
9. Alexa SCIMECA & Chris KNIERIM (USA) - 173.51 Free Skate
10. Stefania BERTON & Ondrej HOTAREK (ITA) - 171.77 Free Skate
11. Cheng PENG & Hao ZHANG (CHN) - 167.18 Free Skate
12. Wenjing SUI & Cong HAN (CHN) - 165.89 Free Skate
13. Marissa CASTELLI & Simon SHNAPIR (USA) - 164.00 Free Skate