Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 worlds pairs FS

Custom Title
    My ideal podium I wanted canadians to get a medal.)))

Custom Title
    Yeah, I hope getting on the podium tastes sweet to everyone who gets to do that in this competition. And how nice to see the first medals of the event having been won! Now I can be anxious about one less group.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    I am not disputing V/T's victory at all because they were clearly the best of the evening but mindless auto-pilot judging just makes me furious.

V/T have really run out of steam at the end and their two final lifts were a little bit weak, not as strong as they are capable of anyway. Yet they got +2s and +3s.

Their pair change combination spin at the end was really slow. But +2s for that also.

V/T are in Virtue/Moir and Davis/White territory now. Whatever they do, whatever program they skate, it will be a shower of +2s and +3s and 9s.

As far as Savchenko/Szolkowy are concerned, they got almost exclusively +2s for a triple twist with a big crash and only -1s for a double footed throw 3axel which did not have a strong landing in the first place. Blind judges are blind.

What cost Duhamel/Radford the silver was not only Radford's underrotations on the jump combination, they also failed on the levels. Lifts and death spiral were Lv3, twist was Lv2.

Edgy Details
    I still cannot get over S/S silver. They should have ended up in 4th place. She doubled 3 sbs jumps, he fell on one. The last lift was messy too. It was gutsy to go for 3A, but that element does not even out the other mistakes (plus it was 2-footed). And the whole program was really uninspiring compared to what they have done in the past.

I would have:
    V/T
    D/R
    MT-M/M

The judging was a travesty.... V/T score, S/S score, Zhang and partner beating Berton/Hotarek on PCS, M-T/M underscored. Who knows how many other details have I missed. Have to check protocols.

Custom Title
    Great skating by V/T, after S/S scores I won't dare to complain the 149 score.
    Aliona might not be recovered from her illness/injury. But she was fierce landing that 3A, that was great. I don't think they deserved to be on the podium today though

Custom Title
    Biggest pleasures for me: S/K coming up this season under radar and ending up inside the Top 10 at Worlds. Also James/Cipres---moving up from 16th last year to 8th this year. Nice to see a strong French pairs team again. And my sentimental favorites Pang/Tong respectably finishing 4th again--no podium but they should be proud of their career.

Hehe, Meagan looks like the happiest skater on the podium. Seems that's pretty common with bronze medalists getting their first world medal.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
    Hehe, Meagan looks like the happiest skater on the podium. Seems that's pretty common with bronze medalists getting their first world medal.
    I think Jerry Seinfeld has a stand-up bit on that. He says that the silver medallist knows they're the best "loser" but the bronze medallist is just happy to be there. Or something like that.

Tripping on the Podium
    After watching the live stream...I absolutely loved V/T's performance...so gorgeous. The speed, the flow, the grace...everything was great! (Even the interview by Jeff at the end was so cute lol).

Even though I'm Canadian, I agree with the placement of S/S...D/R had some sloppy endings and they just don't have the finish that S/S do yet. But still a big congrats to them for a Bronze medal!

Congrats to the podium winners! What an exciting competition!

So at Olympics we will see:

Canada - 3
    Russia - 3
    China - 2
    Germany - 2
    France - 2
    Italy - 2
    USA - 2

No spot for Kemp/King, they will have to go to Nebelhorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Fruit Loops View Post
    I think Jerry Seinfeld has a stand-up bit on that. He says that the silver medallist knows they're the best "loser" but the bronze medallist is just happy to be there. Or something like that.
    I was just thinking that I recall that from my university psych text: the bronze medalist is commonly happier than the silver medalist because of what they're comparing themselves to.

And the gold medalist...seems if they're a favourite to win going in they often seem more relieved than ecstatic.

If I was D/R, I'd be banging my head against the wall now instead of being happy with bronze. They could have easily had the silver, had they not failed on meeting so many level features.

Custom Title
    The Russians' GOE was through the roof and level 4's on everything.

The Germans got good GOE on their lifts and the triple axel got them about 7.4 points. Another determining factor was that apparently D/R underrotated the triple salchow and one of the double toe loops on it. Plus D/R got only level 3's on all three of their lifts and death spiral.

So, points-wise, it kinda makes sense the Germans won silver... but to a casual viewer, Duhamel/Radford had no major errors while the Germans had 3 triples turned to doubles, a fall, and a two-footed throw (albeit on a triple axel) .

Very cool that they got an actual choir to sing the Russian national anthem! (Should have also sang the Ukrainian one for Tatiana. :P) I wonder what they'll do if Denis Ten wins! Quick, somebody learn the Kazakh national anthem!

Custom Title
    My winners are 1. V/S 2. D/R 3. TM/M. My favorites over all: TM/M. They were amazing, beyond the points and deductions. Their free is so fluid, lyric, filled with love. The music helps also. I always loved this program, and they skate so well. Amazing! They should have been on the podium. S/S medal was a sad joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
    I was just thinking that I recall that from my university psych text: the bronze medalist is commonly happier than the silver medalist because of what they're comparing themselves to.

And the gold medalist...seems if they're a favourite to win going in they often seem more relieved than ecstatic.
    The silver medallists are the least happy because they have lost the gold. The bronze is just happy to be on the podium at all.

Savchenko/Szolkowy don't seem to have ego issues. When the cameras showed them about to walk out to the podium, they looked quite embarrassed and shrugged at each other.

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast