Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Skating Lesson recaps of all 4 World events

On the Ice

The Skating Lesson recaps of all 4 World events

The Ladies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q13E7VfInQ

Some interesting points, especially about the Americans. Nothing too shocking, but I did find Dave's point about Yuna's 10's in components to be kinda overkill. She would've won either way, though.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 03-20-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rkuang View Post
    but I did find Dave's point about Yuna's 10's in components to be kinda overkill.
    Overkill about what? I thought he made a good point about it.

In both choreography and interpretation, her program was definitely not worth a 10.00 (or four). I agree with Dave that homegirl had way too much upper body movement (i.e. the leg kicking backwards; what is that, David Wilson?), but I think P/E was definitely worth a 10.00 or two. Her jumps were clean, crisp, and better than ever. She gave the audience a thrill and there were no cutting corners on her performance.

The judges were understandably unmoved by her cold/unfeeling demeanor, hence the 10's in her components.

More seriously, I think that right after she skated, the judges were pretty much in awe like the entire audience and the skating world, and so were much more inclined to give her such marks at that moment. Perhaps in retrospect or reflection, a 9.5 or so might be more "appropriate", but really, how exactly does one differentiate between a 9.5 and 10? or a 9.25 vs. a 9.75? The nature of cardinal component marks elude me. I don't understand how it measures what it purports to measure, let alone with such precision.

Custom Title
    Suzuki wound up having the same kind if worlds as leonova. Like in 2012 gachinski and kozuka had horrible worlds.

They spoke a lot about kostner and she was their favorites and triple salchow was a mistake for her at that moment.

The talk of Li and gold was interesting. they both could show sotniova and tuktamisheva how to compete at worlds. They didn't say that but could have

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Overkill about what? I thought he made a good point about it.

In both choreography and interpretation, her program was definitely not worth a 10.00 (or four). I agree with Dave that homegirl had way too much upper body movement (i.e. the leg kicking backwards; what is that, David Wilson?), but I think P/E was definitely worth a 10.00 or two. Her jumps were clean, crisp, and better than ever. She gave the audience a thrill and there were no cutting corners on her performance.
    I didn't articulate myself well enough. I meant I agreed with his point, not that his point was overkill. I too didn't feel like the 10's were necessary.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    The talk of Li and gold was interesting. they both could show sotniova and tuktamisheva how to compete at worlds. They didn't say that but could have
    Gold isn't exactly the most consistent skater out there to be honest. And Li skated like she had nothing to lose, nobody saw her skating so well. I want to see her repeating this kind of performances next year too, because I really liked her.
    Liza and Adelina weren't impressive here, I agree. But you have to consider the pressure they had to face from the Russian fed. Those performances would have been enough to earn 3 places in the last 2 or 3 world championships. It's not their fault that this particularly Worlds had the reigning world champion, Olympic champion and Oympic silver medalist in.
    When you look at their results, it looks disastrous for them, but the skating was not that bad. Especially Liza's LP, which was pretty good actually. They may not be on the podium at Sochi, but after the Olympics I still see them world medalists, when the big guns retire

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    Gold isn't exactly the most consistent skater out there to be honest. And Li skated like she had nothing to lose, nobody saw her skating so well. I want to see her repeating this kind of performances next year too, because I really liked her.
    Liza and Adelina weren't impressive here, I agree. But you have to consider the pressure they had to face from the Russian fed. Those performances would have been enough to earn 3 places in the last 2 or 3 world championships. It's not their fault that this particularly Worlds had the reigning world champion, Olympic champion and Oympic silver medalist in.
    When you look at their results, it looks disastrous for them, but the skating was not that bad. Especially Liza's LP, which was pretty good actually. They may not be on the podium at Sochi, but after the Olympics I still see them world medalists, when the big guns retire
    Nope.There will be Gracie, Osmond and Li..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    Nope.There will be Gracie, Osmond and Li..
    You never know right after Sochi I see Mao taking another world title in front of the home crowd. After that, there are more young talented ladies who can surprise us. Neither Gracie or Osmond are more consistent than the Russian ladies. All of them had ups and downs this season. And Li, well, she is so tiny, I don't know what's gonna happen if she grows. But right know she is stunning

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    You never know right after Sochi I see Mao taking another world title in front of the home crowd. After that, there are more young talented ladies who can surprise us. Neither Gracie or Osmond are more consistent than the Russian ladies. All of them had ups and downs this season. And Li, well, she is so tiny, I don't know what's gonna happen if she grows. But right know she is stunning
    I agree. If Yuna, Mao, or Ashley want to continue skating after Sochi, they could. But, I think the only reason someone like Yuna or Mao would want to continue is just to get more medals, or see how many they could get. I don't know if Yuna has that personality, and I'm not sure about Mao. Ashley might continue, but it depends on whether her body agrees with her.

The youngsters could rise, but I do feel like there's currently a preference for older, lady skaters, so if they choose to continue, the youngsters would have to wait a little longer to dominate.

Custom Title
    The youngsters could rise, but I do feel like there's currently a preference for older, lady skaters, so if they choose to continue, the youngsters would have to wait a little longer to dominate.
    Is is that there is a preference for older skaters, or preference for better skaters?

I would say it's the latter. Especially in this competition, I felt that the veterans definitely skated better than the youngsters. The youngsters can dominate if they do better competition after competition.

Custom Title
    I love watching their videos, they're both so charismatic which makes them really fun to listen to! The points they mention are very valid also.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar

Medalist
    I agree. If Yuna, Mao, or Ashley want to continue skating after Sochi, they could. But, I think the only reason someone like Yuna or Mao would want to continue is just to get more medals, or see how many they could get. I don't know if Yuna has that personality, and I'm not sure about Mao. Ashley might continue, but it depends on whether her body agrees with her.

I don't think the youngsters got lowballed just because they're young, but they deservedly got lower scores because their skating was less refined and mature than those of the veterans on the podium.

Just for the sake of comparison:

this is 16 year old yuna : she got high scores back then despite being young and if you compare her skating with that of the youngsters today, it was definetly deserved:

sp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dYCpF0uQxU
    lp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYC2l6iAB1U

I love Li but I don't think she's there yet - but next season, with a better choreogapher and better use of the whole body she could medal!

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclair View Post
    I don't think the youngsters got lowballed just because they're young, but they deservedly got lower scores because their skating was less refined and mature than those of the veterans on the podium.
    Agreed. But I read somewhere that 'young' is shorthand for less mature/refined. If that's is so, then I think in this case, commentators should be less colloquial in their descriptions.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Commentators should always be careful, but Dave & Jenny are amateurs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast