2013 Worlds Men LP | Page 48 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Men LP

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
LOL, it is possible that Chan will be suffering from the Canadian curse at the Olympics, the statistics are very much against him as the reigning World champion winning the gold in Sochi....

Sure. People said the same thing after 2009 Worlds.;)

Can't believe that the Japanese bombed and fell off the podium, and Takahashi fell to the sixth place.

wallylutz

Medalist
I like Denis Ten, but how did his PCs increase by 20+ overnight? O_O I thought things like SS don't really change much regardless of one's performance. Ahhh so confused.

Indeed, all those people on GS suddenly demanding that Ten be handed the World title never even talked about this guy before - hey, some didn't even know he existed prior to this competition. What does this say? Ten is at the right place and time. My assessment of his performance tonight is that the scores he received had some psychological boost based on what happened before him. After Chan's skate, I felt extremely disappointed and really didn't want to see him win another World title with such a skate - for his own good and his future development. I am sure many on the judging panel felt the same way too. Therefore, Ten's superior performance became the closest thing to put a nicer cover page on tomorrow's ISU main news site, as opposed to having to describe the World Champion as having two falls and 4 errors in total. If it were not for the fact there was a strong knee-jerk reaction to a "Anyone but Chan", Ten wouldn't have received such high scores, not even close.

Don't get me wrong. I first saw him at the LA Worlds in 2009 and was very impressed. What I saw tonight up close is a guy who still needs polishing in terms of his in-between and presentation. Not quite at the level to be a solid top 5 in the world, yet. This does not mean he shouldn't be top 5 or on the podium. Rather, in this competition he was better than most but the result is due to poor performances on the part of other skaters who would have easily beaten him if they had skated to their potential.

You take note of each and every poster who is claiming Ten's robbed in this thread and wait till next season. Trust me, many of them will quickly be changing tune and claim memory loss just as fast when they no longer need Ten to verbally abuse Chan.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Call me stupid but I think that today Reynolds was better than Chan! How could the difference be so huge? Kevin did not fall! Yes he was not as good as he was in 4 CC or the nationals. I think that being the last skater worked against him. But what I want to say is that Patrick should have scored just a bit less than Reynolds.

You have GOT to be kidding.

Here was Reynolds' skate:

4s-df-to, 4t<+3t, 3a<-df+2t, 4t<-hd, 2a, 3fe+2t+2lo, 3z, 3s

All of his jumps are small and barely clear the ice. Two of his 'quads' were underrotated, and all three were sloppy. He put a hand down on an underrotated 3a. The only jumps that didn't get -GOE were the 2a (+0.29), the 3z (0.0) and the 3s (+0.20).

Kevin has horrible jump technique and he sometimes gets away with it IF he rotates his quads and 3a. He didn't get away with it with this technical team.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Did they? The reigning male World champions from USA do not have the problem like the Canadian ones...

You were talking about the curse. I was talking about that too. What problem? Lysacek was hated by many too at that time.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
After tonight I fear the rest of the Worlds is already fixed. Davis & White though will be given the dance gold over V&M (and probably will deserve it) as a way to try and ease some of the Chan and Canadian controversy after tonight. Unless D&W fall the judges wont dare have V&M pull up from over 3 points back to win now, and perhaps not even then. W&P will be overmarked and pull up to 4th or possibly even 3rd depending how P&B and B&S skate.

However when it comes to the ladies they probably have Osmond slotted in for a certain medal and only both Kostner and Asada skating spectacularly (assuming Kim is a lock to medal, probably gold) or a poor skate from Osmond wil prevent that from happening.

barring major disaster in the LP. Osmond is a podium lock for the Ladies, I think silver if Mao or Carolina implodes
also I agree with the venue on home ice, Weaver/Poje might win bronze medal

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lysacek was hated because he won without a quad, not because he won with mistake-ridden programs.

Buttle won Worlds without a quad, too, but never got the hate directed at Evan.

wallylutz

Medalist
I think it's far too early to say that the Russian babies are over. They're young, Liza has two GPF gold medals and they can still fight back in the long.
They've also both won medals at Euros, something Kaetlyn failed to do at 4CCs (and if I remember correctly, didn't you predict a podium finish for her?)

No, I don't predict specific podium finishes since that would be no different than rolling a dice. What I predict is trend and potential, aka. picking stars and dogs. I most certainly did not make any podium prediction for Osmond at 4CC, if you can find such prediction, I'll send you an $100 check in the mail.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Or maybe people watched the competition and felt like Ten deserved to win based on his short program and long program performance compared to how everyone else skated. Why should people's knowledge of Ten prior to witnessing his performance matter if that is how they feel? You can claim those opinions are based on ignorance of IJS or skating knowledge, but I don't necessarily think Ten is just being used to "verbally abuse" Chan. Even if Chan is on the receiving end of the harsh criticism, it's not as if Chan's winning performance has not again rubbed people the wrong way. People understandably get tired of seeing performances mired with major mistakes win constantly when there's a reasonable argument to be made that someone else should have won. I'm sure if the internet existed back then, people would have gotten angry over some of Gordeeva/Grinkov's victories with mistake-ridden performances.

Also regarding Gao, who will she get in trouble with? You think the judges are going to read Gao's tweets and mark her down out of spite? Well, too late for that because the USFS judges have made sure she's perpetually in 5th place. Or do you think Chan and his friends will give Gao the cold shoulder next time they see her?

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Patrick CHAN (CAN) - 267.78 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
2. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 266.48 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
3. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) - 249.06 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 244.99 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
5. Kevin REYNOLDS (CAN) - 239.98 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
6. Daisuke TAKAHASHI (JPN) - 239.03 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
7. Max AARON (USA) - 238.36 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
8. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 234.18 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
9. Brian JOUBERT (FRA) - 232.26 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
10. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 229.00 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
11. Peter LIEBERS (GER) - 216.84
12. Florent AMODIO (FRA) - 216.83 Free Skate
13. Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) - 216.60
14. Ross MINER (USA) - 211.90
15. Nan SONG (CHN) 207.68 Free Skate
16. Misha GE (UZB) - 207.50
17. Maxim KOVTUN (RUS) - 207.40
18. Alexander MAJOROV (SWE) - 204.29
19. Jorik HENDRICKX (BEL) - 192.19
20. Viktor PFEIFER (AUT) - 189.44 Free Skate
21. Tomas VERNER (CZE) - 180.50
22. Viktor ROMANENKOV (EST) - 177.09
23. Yakov GODOROZHA (UKR) - 174.98
24. Justus STRID (DEN) - 165.23

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Lysacek was hated because he won without a quad, not because he won with mistake-ridden programs.

Buttle won Worlds without a quad, too, but never got the hate directed at Evan.

because Boring Buttle never won an Olympic gold while Lysacek did

ks777

Record Breaker
I just watched Kevin Reynolds on CBC. He really reminds me of a female skater. He looks, skates and jumps like a female skater. His stroking has no power, his jumps are tiny with bad technique and he even looks like one. His skating doesn't do a thing for me.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
You have GOT to be kidding.

Here was Reynolds' skate:

4s-df-to, 4t<+3t, 3a<-df+2t, 4t<-hd, 2a, 3fe+2t+2lo, 3z, 3s

All of his jumps are small and barely clear the ice. Two of his 'quads' were underrotated, and all three were sloppy. He put a hand down on an underrotated 3a. The only jumps that didn't get -GOE were the 2a (+0.29), the 3z (0.0) and the 3s (+0.20).

Kevin has horrible jump technique and he sometimes gets away with it IF he rotates his quads and 3a. He didn't get away with it with this technical team.
Kevin was wonderful at 4 CC but not today. But you did not get my point or you don't agree Chan's program was so plagued by his falls, and other mistakes, that makes it look much worse than the flowed program Kevin had. I consider that under rotation is not as bad as a fall... I also consider Chan's Axel UR. I don't think the judges saw that, considering the huge score he got.

wallylutz

Medalist
I think it's far too early to say that the Russian babies are over. They're young, Liza has two GPF gold medals and they can still fight back in the long.
They've also both won medals at Euros, something Kaetlyn failed to do at 4CCs (and if I remember correctly, didn't you predict a podium finish for her?)

I predicted that back in 2011 but back then, many people, mostly Russians and their supporters just laughed at me and suggested that I was nervous. Same goes for I/K. But no, I didn't say they were over. What I said was they may shine after 2014, after Kim and Asada retires, but not before. Instead, those people were so sure the Russian babies will dominate as soon as they are age eligible. Well, they have been for 2 years but instead, Russia will likely lose their 3rd spot in the ladies as a result of their participation at this year's worlds, so go figure.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
because Boring Buttle never won an Olympic gold while Lysacek did

Buttle actually had stunning artistry, spins, and everything except the quad. Lysacek is quite generic and ordinary in everyway. Yet average Evan won Olympics and Worlds, while much more stylish and complete Jeff managed only Worlds. Naturally Evan would receive more criticsm than Jeff. That said I would even take Evan winning with generic average skating over many of Chans splatfest wins.

Indeed, all those people on GS suddenly demanding that Ten be handed the World title never even talked about this guy before - hey, some didn't even know he existed prior to this competition. What does this say?

I think what people are saying is that Denis Ten deserved to win this competition. Not that they paid much attention to him before or that will necessarily pay much attention to him next year.