2013 Worlds Men LP | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Men LP

wallylutz

Medalist
And no way is Fernandez "better" than Hanyu in skating skills....(I just looked at the protocol)...

On the contrary, Fernandez was miles better than Hanyu in skating skills tonight. Your statement is clearly a biased preconception based past performances as opposed to what was actually on the ice tonight. In the arena this evening, Hanyu was crawling through the rink like a turtle. Fernandez showed much power and speed in his delivery. No reasonable person can possibly score Hanyu higher in SS over Fernandez this evening.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I am curious how this result will impact tomorrow's scoring. I get the impression that in an attempt to look fair, when there is a call that could go either way, the judges may lean against V/M, W/P and Osmond.

Similar to today's pairs results (with S/S taking silver), I actually can understand why it went the way it did... even if it feels wrong. Ten rightfully won the FS, but since Chan had almost ten marks on him through the SP and with 2 perfect quads (vs. 1 good one) + PCS that does not disappear for jumping mistakes, it was not enough to catch him. In all, except for Ten, it was just a poorly skated event by all the men, not just Chan... which is another reason for the results.

Aha, S/S are not Patrick Chan, flaneur, and no attempts by you to compare what happened in the pairs event to this smelly men's event is gonna make S/S suddenly appear to be like Patrick Chan. Not similar at all. If it were even close to being similar, S/S would have won over V/T by decimal points! The judges rapped S/S on the wrist in the sp for a good effort, and then rightly took marks away from their PB for this season's ill-advised fp with minor errors. But as far as guts, innovation, creativity and risk-taking, Aliona and Robin are light years ahead of Mr. Chan, and frankly the judges have always tended to grudgingly give S/S the marks that they'd prefer to bestow on any viable Russian or Chinese pair.

Aliona and Robin have deserved every championship they've won. Can't say the same for Patrick Chan. S/S won last year by a hair's breadth over V/T who had a great fp, but a crappy sp with a major error. S/S have never won by some of the huge margins that Chan has been anointed with.

And furthermore, if Aliona and Robin had made the type of numerous errors that Chan made, they would have been far behind D/R and maybe even off the podium, capeesh?

Leonardo

Final Flight
This is what I was trying to say, but obviously failed. A poor WC, but the results make sense. I'm just so happy this weird season is over now!

The results ALWAYS make sense with the cop. The judges manipulate the scores of someone EASILY, give him/her 90 in pcs, +2 or +3 goe in everything they didn't fall on, and there you go, a gold medal, even if you fall 2 or 3 times. People should just STOP trying to justify Patrick's victory, it was simply ridiculous.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I am curious how this result will impact tomorrow's scoring. I get the impression that in an attempt to look fair, when there is a call that could go either way, the judges may lean against V/M, W/P and Osmond.

Similar to today's pairs results (with S/S taking silver), I actually can understand why it went the way it did... even if it feels wrong. Ten rightfully won the FS, but since Chan had almost ten marks on him through the SP and with 2 perfect quads (vs. 1 good one) + PCS that does not disappear for jumping mistakes, it was not enough to catch him. In all, except for Ten, it was just a poorly skated event by all the men, not just Chan... which is another reason for the results.

Its not a reason for the results. First of all since when is skating all about quads? Yes Patrick had 2 quads. But you know what he had no triple axels. Whereas Denis Ten had 2 beautiful triple axels...

Ten by far had the better jumping display.

Was Denis the most amazing thing I had ever seen. Well compared to how everyone else skated he was.

At the end of the day I'm tired of this argument that how you execute the elements shouldn't matter. One mistake a la V/T's fall okay as long as the rest is well done.

But multiple glaring big time errors, it matters. Currently glaring errors are frankly not penalized enough. And I'm sorry they effect the performance. Nobody should be getting 89s in pcs with that kind of skate

If Denis was from a powerful skating country, people would be screaming now.

Patrick does have beautiful blade skills but I'd rather see a little less from him and a program he can actually skate well than a jammed pack program he can't skate well.

In general this sport is encouraging skaters to throw in their most difficult elements regardless of how they can do it and PCS are used to hold up some downgrade some others.

In general I want difficulty encouraged. I'm not convinced difficulty is rewarded enough for the ladies. But execution has to matter too.

This is figure skating not figure falling. And I'm darn tired of the world "rotations"

How hard is it to have a balance and I'm sorry I'm tired of the hypocrisy. People screamed when Anton made a small frankly minor error with a program that was far more complicated than S/P's. Screamed to high heavens, and everything else B/S did was beautiful.

But Patrick Chan wins time after time with programs that are marred with multiple, multiple, multiple glaring errors and that's just fine by the same country.

wallylutz

Medalist
I thought he was really engaging tonight, actually. Admittedly that can be a hard thing to evaluate, because I can never tell if the skater's performing better or if it's my own state of mind/attentiveness that's making the difference.

The best way to find out is to be in close proximity to them, aka. see them in person while they are competing. Doing so, you allow all your senses to capture and perceive all the cues in your environment as opposed to staring at a screen. Having said that, I can confirm it was indeed the case tonight for Fernandez. Despite the two pops, his performance was fully engaging and he was in the zone throughout the performance.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Patrick Chan is the WORST two time world champion (2012-3) EVER. I just needed to say that. Actually he wasn't the real champion, so, who cares. Congrats Daisuke and our lovely D10 !

Robeye

Final Flight
Todd Eldredge: "Is inflation back? Or did it ever leave? Shouldn't falling affect components? Puzzled in FL!"

This could be fascinating.
Thank you, ImaginaryPogue, and thank you, Todd (hope you're enjoying the sun).

I've been arguing this point all day, and finally we have some professional substantiation (although it took a major brouhaha in the Mens event to get it :p).

wallylutz

Medalist
I would love to see this guy live. So lot of energy that he crashes into the bords :laugh:

Max Aaron is incredibly fast and powerful based on what I saw tonight in the arena. I'd say, in terms of speed and power (blades) alone, he is probably among the top 3 of all men competing tonight. That said, he clearly needs refinement and be a little more organized. Otherwise, his abundance of energy will continue to look messy and chaotic. I really like this guy, what a nice change to see someone with a masculine style on ice even though I really like Misha Ge as well, because he is such an entertainer and his style suits him. Diversity is good and Max adds to that.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I'm not justifying his victory. I also thought his score was ridiculous. :eek: I think, this was decided in the SP. But the LP is the impression that remains, which was horrible.

pdz

Spectator
Congratulations to all the medalist!! And to Denis Ten for a great performance!! Just wanted to also say to those who continually critisize the IJS, it would be best to actually understand how the scores come to be especially in TES as it is more straight forward than PCS (PCS is debatable and sadly also based on reputation). Also, if ppl really want a change the IJS "save the sport" then do something about (though it is extremely difficult) because complaining in threads all the time is not going to do anything, it's still going to happen on future events.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I'm not justifying his victory. I also thought his score was ridiculous. :eek: I think, this was decided in the SP. But the LP is the impression that remains, which was horrible.

Chan did well in the SP, but Ten did too. Was what Chan did in the LP justifiable enough for him to win? No. Denis skated lights-out in BOTH programs. Therefore, Denis left a GREAT impression both nights.

jaylee

Medalist
I was lucky enough to be there tonight. This is not a full report, just little notes and observations.

One end of the arena where a lot of Daisuke fans were sang happy birthday to Daisuke while he sat in the kiss & cry. It was very sweet.

Misha Ge entertained the audience before, during, and after his FS. He was adorable.

Denis Ten was amazing. Everyone stood for him. He was the only one my group stood for. Thrilling, wonderful performance. I loved it. Just one mistake. He had everything tonight.

Audience booed Brian Joubert and Kevin Reynold's scores. Audience very cold to Florent Amodio's performance.

Javier did the Chaplin walk before he shook Patrick's hand during the medal ceremony. Too cute.

There was a lovely Canadian couple in the first row who seemed to have flags for every country that didn't have a lot of representation there. My group was sooo impressed with how they had a flag for Denis Ten and many other skaters.

wallylutz

Medalist
Not that there was much doubt, but the US still has 2 spots. Too bad the US doesn't have two good male skaters.

I beg to differ. Prior to this competition, I was a little skeptical. Now, I feel the raw talent and energy that Max Aaron has is quite something. He is a rough diamond right now who needs a lot of polishing. With the right coaching and nurturing, he can be the next Elvis Stojko.

And if you go back on my talent prediction record here on GS, I don't think I have missed the mark yet all those years - both on picking eventual stars (Osmond, Weaver/Poje) and predicting falls of former stars (e.g. Shibutani, overrated Russian babies, I/K, Crone/Poirier).

So mark my word now, Max Aaron will be a star unless he is not given the proper environment to grow.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Patrick CHAN (CAN) - 267.78 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
2. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 266.48 Free Skate
3. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) - 249.06 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 244.99 Free Skate
5. Kevin REYNOLDS (CAN) - 239.98 Free Skate
6. Daisuke TAKAHASHI (JPN) - 239.03 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
7. Max AARON (USA) - 238.36 Free Skate
8. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 234.18 Free Skate
9. Brian JOUBERT (FRA) - 232.26
10. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 229.00
11. Peter LIEBERS (GER) - 216.84
12. Florent AMODIO (FRA) - 216.83
13. Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) - 216.60
14. Ross MINER (USA) - 211.90
15. Nan SONG (CHN) 207.68
16. Misha GE (UZB) - 207.50
17. Maxim KOVTUN (RUS) - 207.40
18. Alexander MAJOROV (SWE) - 204.29
19. Jorik HENDRICKX (BEL) - 192.19
20. Viktor PFEIFER (AUT) - 189.44 Free Skate
21. Tomas VERNER (CZE) - 180.50
22. Viktor ROMANENKOV (EST) - 177.09
23. Yakov GODOROZHA (UKR) - 174.98
24. Justus STRID (DEN) - 165.23

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank you for your report jaylee. Always nice to hear from someone who was at the competition. Looking forward to your further report.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I was lucky enough to be there tonight. This is not a full report, just little notes and observations.

One end of the arena where a lot of Daisuke fans were sang happy birthday to Daisuke while he sat in the kiss & cry. It was very sweet.

Misha Ge entertained the audience before, during, and after his FS. He was adorable.

Denis Ten was amazing. Everyone stood for him. He was the only one my group stood for. Thrilling, wonderful performance. I loved it. Just one mistake. He had everything tonight.

Audience booed Brian Joubert and Kevin Reynold's scores. Audience very cold to Florent Amodio's performance.

Javier did the Chaplin walk before he shook Patrick's hand during the medal ceremony. Too cute.

There was a lovely Canadian couple in the first row who seemed to have flags for every country that didn't have a lot of representation there. My group was sooo impressed with how they had a flag for Denis Ten and many other skaters.

Your entire post makes me have hope for humanity, especially the last tidbit. Good on them! And I hope good karma spreads their way!